Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Servoret posted:

For instance?

"I can't do anything useful on my turn, giving you a hint is a waste, so I guess I'll discard and pray and oh god it was the other yellow four we're hosed"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean, I find it cool, but it's certainly stressful and can make some people react in negative ways, I was just providing an example.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

my favourite game is a eurogamey wargame that even wargamers dont like :(

me too

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Asymmetrikon posted:

Well, it is a card game.

hey gently caress you bridge and tichu and wizard I guess are awesome

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

you forgot bottle imp, please vacate thread asap tia

w/e there are plenty of other good card games I just listed the ones I care about

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

not caring about bottle imp is punishable!!!

never seen it before, apparently my friends suck at introducing me to random rear end card games?

too many cooks is amusing though probably a bit long for what it is

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Scyther posted:

I don't like it when games have the attacker roll attack dice and then the defender rolls defense dice.

then you don't like x-wing

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is it fascism yet posted:

Imagine tepoko bringing a girl home from the pub, and the increasingly bewildered looks on her face as she notices the Star Wars toys, board games and the many books about hitler

and the many board games about hitler

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

no problem with board games because games are for children

a funny anecdote about that

gaming friends of ours have an 11 year old girl who, when suggested for a camping trip "hey you should bring some games to play with the other kids your age that'll be there!" responded by saying "ugh, mom, board games are for *adults*"

they keep trying to play games with her and she seems to like pictomania at least and is willing to try out things like trucker

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

she came to vlaadacon and played pictomania there! cute kid.

speaking of which, there's now a vlaadacon microbadge and the writeup should be coming shortly (photos were put up on bgg I think)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

Stratego is for scrubs, play luzhanqi, laowai

play napoleon's triumph instead

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

should probably be posted on every page of this thread

yes but especially whenever stratego is mentioned because damned if it's not the same genre but way better

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

inSTAALed posted:

we are playing dominant species instead of arkham horror now

i'll consider this a victory

way better

do you have ap prone people because DS can get...lengthy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

posted in the bad thread but just in case

VlaadaCon writeup is up on bgg, so much fun we'll totally run it again

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16739686#16739686

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

*completely misunderstands how to play a game, writes review based on assumptions*

Hey don't sell your NT abilities too short

jkjk

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

Yo I played Shogun and got drunk on sake. It's fun to drop cubes in a tower.

Funny, I got drunk on sake when playtesting the new Tash Kalar deck. It was pretty great. I still won.

...course it was cause my partner and I were way better than our opponents and he had the ice deck, not me

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

ice deck? :stare:

yes? the deck with snow princess and poo poo?

what else is it supposed to be called? I linked vlaada's "help me playtest" post :c00lbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

oh riiiight, i havent playtested any of that yet

it's wacky, you can have one standing effect that's on various cards, and use it like another kind of flare, but they vary between "move a bit like a flare" or apprentice summoner's "I'm a war summoner but you can save me for next turn" insanely high power.

it mostly lost, but that's because we were all inexperienced with the deck. still super excited!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Seven??

Good lord I would literally flat out say "no way, you guys go ahead and play, I refuse to play cosmic more than 4 players it takes way too long" and pray they never try to get you to play it 4 player

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I've played dow twice now and one had a traitor, the other didn't

It was...honestly not very fun. Traitor won first game by, yeah, just tanking everything all at once late and muh, all done.

Second game I had to go kill off one of my characters and someone else's to finish my goal (making lots of noise to go look for a gun so lots of zomibes would come to one area), but...we won, and I won with my goal so yeah. It did not feel satisfying in the least, I think it would make a better storytelling game using just the crossroads cards tbh

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

somebody shoot me.

bang bang bang

:smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

otoh concordia loving owns, play concordia, its one of the only games that ive seen 'multiple paths to victory' done right

I played it and found it...okay? I dunno, I get what you're saying with the deckbuilding actually making sense, I just didn't really like the game that *wasn't* the deckbuilding all that much I guess.

I'd probably play it again, I could well have missed quite a bit and it definitely did not turn me off of it at all. Plus, knowing what kinds of upgrade cards and w/e are there would have helped.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

how much did silvergoose pay you to pretend to be his wife

uhhh the dowry was uhhh I think I had a copy of heroquest? yeah that and dungeon!.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

But Agircola rules.

Countblanc wasn't saying it doesn't, he was saying it's one of the few games they play, along with some garbage (though I actually still do enjoy stone age and race...okay I've not really played much of either for years, but I think I would still be up for playing)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

part of the reason why I sold bsg and gt was because they got expansions

Tash Kalar?????

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fellis posted:

What is the single best expansion in boardgames

my vote is space alert new frontiers because the rpg character advancement and achievements probably keep my group focused more than anything. Also the dumb cardboard badges helps the blame-assigning metagame during resolution phase

Haven't played the game meself, but the expansion to Twilight Imperium is said to turn it into one of the best games ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I'm so loving disappointed in you because how did you not answer this question correctly and say "Advanced Civ." What did you do with the real silvergoose.

Also that graphic above is magical.

Word.

I'm tired?

Also clearly the best expansion is Napoleon's Triumph, the xpac to BaM.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bobby The Rookie posted:

It actually worked out pretty decently, provided you were willing to be vocal in the chat. The app itself is quite good, you could pair it with Mumble or Facecam to get a bit closer to the real thing.

I'm positive at least some of the pubbie regulars have never actually played the physical game. I watched the end of a 7-player game where absolutely no discussion occurred during the last two missions. It's creepy.

It's like playing diplomacy with no-press.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dimwit posted:

I'm going to play Dungeon Petz tonight with a girl. Maybe have sexy time afterwards. Thanks man.

Fool, dungeon lords is better because you can make snide comments about using the magic room.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stelas posted:

I'm just sad I filled all the slots for the Mage Knight PBP, I could have had Vlaada haranguing other players

I swear, getting personal messages on BGG from him talking about the ice deck playtest and having him talk about VlaadaCon was one of the best things ever, I'm actually a fanboy apparently. :3:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Captain Gordon posted:

is Dead of Winter any good?

Did you *read* any of the last two weeks of discussion in either thread? :v:

No. It's not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

play cards to spread the science of communism

This also works in through the ages

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Narrator posted:

up until last night i've been terrified of agricola - i imagined it as this sprawling mess of a grognardy game. i watched rahdo's playthrough of it last night though and it looks pretty good. i've been wanting to get a good worker placement game because i think i dig the mechanic so might as well go with the classic right?

what agricola is pretty easy to learn, and yeah it's a good worker placement

i'm really digging bruxelles 1793 right now though, incredible game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

And I dunno if you've played hearthstone which is basically what wow tcg turned into, but there's a *very* distinct difference between aggro, control and combo. You can play a deck with nothing costed higher than 4, or a deck where you deliberately do nothing for three turns to get a full hand and start dropping giant creatures that get cheaper the more cards in hand or lower life you have.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

my favourite part of hearthstone is the cards that do randomly distributed damage, sometimes even to your own troops

wait poo poo thats my least favourite part

yeah just don't play mad bomber and you'll be fine???

i guess don't play arcane missiles either but w/e that's kind of a minor quibble

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DS is pretty good, there's not that many rules, you just have to go through the list of action spaces.

It can take a while though, especially if anyone has problems with AP (it is a joke by the way, AP also stands for action pawn in dominant species).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

Hearthstone is boring garbage even without the RNG cards.

No ipad and still waiting on digital TS :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Is it fascism yet posted:

i better give blizzard a fuckton of money so i can copy this decklist i found on the internet

wiat you can spend money in hearthstone? free to play my rear end

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah I know I just play it free and mostly do the "draft" arena which I find enjoyable enough

anyway sorry I derailed us into talking about a lovely videogame, so how about them board games? anyone played bruxelles 1793?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wait really? Have they played Dungeon Lords? How the hell is "we're growing baby monsters in a pretty heavy worker placement game" not a compelling counter-argument?

have they played *any* Vlaada games?

• Locked thread