Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah what's up with this one? I joined the Air Force to get the gently caress out of WI with no real plan what to do after, and ended up going to the UW because halfway through my contract I was like "ohhhhh, now I get why an education is important"

Lately I'm running into a ton of Wisconsinites tho. I sympathize, WI is a garbage state, but why are they all coming here specifically? I'd have guessed Texas would've been a good mix of "hot weather" and "just liberal enough" for most of them

I meet people from Minnesota and Wisconsin out here every day and it's getting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Duh, Norwegians and other assorted Scandinavians. They do Syttende Mai in Ballard, why?

My wife's family (her father's grandfather) bought a farm in Wisconsin in the 1870's. The former owners, the people they bought it from, they moved out here to the Seattle area. This is one of the reason I moved to the area six months ago. Large number of Lutherans and especially Norwegians have been moving here for a long time. There was some kickass farming land out here. Thus my wife is comfortable out here.

Seattle ice and Minnesota nice are the same thing. This is why you have something like Pacific Lutheran University here. They've been coming out here since the railroad came here.

P.S. I am a Minnesota/Wisconsin transplant

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Also: of all the local companies that are "killing the area", Starbucks is the funniest option to pick on.

It seems no one living or working in Seattle is old enough/was here when Seattle was really badly depressed in the pre-Microsoft days.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This seems obvious, but how much work you really need to get done in a day at an office job varies widely by job. In some positions, working from home is a great stress reducer. It's definitely harder to concentrate on work, but realistically most people tune out around hour 6 at work anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/t...WT.nav=top-news

Seattle does indeed realize that becoming San Francisco should not be the goal, and the only real way to do that is to get out in front of Amazon with realistic housing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mrit posted:

The best reason to not eat at Chipolte is that if you are looking for a giant burrito Qdoba/Gorditos is far better.

Chipotle must be raking in money in Seattle, the line is out the door during lunchtime and dinner at every Chipotle I pass by. The burritos themselves, pretty bleh unfortunately.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kalista posted:

Yes, the Kindle, the Fire, Echo, for the most part. The store isn't there to sell books, it's there to sell Amazon Product (TM), and they've shoehorned that into a "bookstore" format.

"Speaking of the Kindle, Amazon’s other hardware products are featured directly in the center of the store, similar to what Apple or Microsoft do at their own physical retail locations. There is also an “Amazon Answers” desk to help customers with any product questions.

Other amenities include a small hangout space for customers to sit down and browse through magazines or e-books with a Fire tablet. In the children’s books area, there are beanbags and a table equipped with — yes, you guessed it, more Fire tablets — where kids can spend time with their parents...

You’ll even find Amazon’s Echo, the company’s intelligent, talking home speaker/virtual assistant, located on a table that is somewhat symbolic of Amazon’s innovations in the book industry. This particular table includes traditional printed books that have been made into movies. Alongside the paperbacks are Amazon Fire HD tablets that let customers watch movie trailers on IMDb, another Amazon-owned company. There are also headphones hooked to the tablets that let you listen to audiobooks from Amazon’s Audible app. And finally, you can talk to the Echo device and ask something like “Alexa, read Moby Dick” — seconds later, a robot starts reading Moby Dick."

And none of the books have prices on them. You either have to look them up on Amazon on your phone, or use a scanning kiosk.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/inside-amazons-first-bookstore-how-the-online-giant-is-combining-digital-with-physical-retail/

This is almost indistinguishable from a Barnes & Noble.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Where are all these bike things located? I've only seen one downtown, i.e. where a bike would be least useful and most annoying.

quote:

Yeah, Seattle is actually tough for biking beyond the roads and all of that (which could definitely be improved). I went on a bike tour of Paris, and it's basically mostly flat or small hills, and it seemed completely legit that a bike could be my normal form of transportation. But Seattle, it was just a harsh lesson that yes, Capitol Hill is a HILL.

When Seattle became a thing, they spent a lot of time terraforming it so they could actually get up and down the hills with anything at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Those sure are some words you wrote, sure. They don't fit in my mouth, though, so maybe you just keep them.

quote:

I graduated from college in 2005 with a degree in journalism (you know that industry that ate itself?). My wife worked at WaMu straight out of college (you know that company that set itself on fire?).

You can keep blaming the economy, though. That sounds convenient!

gently caress off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

I keep hearing this, but I'm having trouble finding any Bernie bros, is there like some place people frequent that I'm not seeing that exemplifies this point?

Locally? Not really. Sanders people like to put on the illusion on Reddit and Facebook that he is inevitable and the Hillary is evil (and is winning because she is evil!), and saturate political feeds as much as possible.

A guy who's platform is essentially "I will break up the banks!" (lol) is still really attractive to Ron Paul types who like the premise but don't analyze the reality.

Very little of the negativity comes directly from the Sanders campaign, though. The only real issues I have with him as a candidate are the viability of his "plans" and the distinct Walter Mondale vibe I get from him. For more about that, see the 1984 election. We've tried the transcendent left wing candidates before (Carter and Mondale), it resulted in thirty years of darkness.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In North Seattle where I am, CenturyLink is something horrid like 5 MBPS down for $30 a month, Comcast at least has the full coverage. That being said, I never had issues with CenturyLink.

We are pretty lucky out here as Comcast seems to be afraid of introducing bandwidth caps due to the competition.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zantie posted:

Not that you guys care about the east side, but a fire just jumped Snake River into Whitman County.

https://twitter.com/palousenews

Thought enough of everything burned last year :(

Speaking of caring, am I the only one who gets the sense that the common Seattlite more or less ignores everything south of the International District and just aggressively pretends that Aurora is The Worst though?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dick's is the resident incredibly overrated fast food, but every place has to have one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Certain groups of white nationalists touted moving to the Northwest and taking it over politically to create a new white homeland. There weren't very many of them in the end, but they still exist, and still view it as a goal.

White nationalists try to do this all the time, all over the place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

seiferguy posted:

The Seattle Times came out with another bad editorial about how light rail will ruin the city, we need more roads, etc.

Seattle Subway responded by posting this on their facebook:

http://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/consider-actual-benefits-from-sound-transit-3/

"We just need more buses, which is also a thing we do not want."

I am not surprised the Seattle Times does not support a modern transit system, since only old people read it at this point and navigating around their site is a transit disaster in itself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

Seattle desperately needs more light rails. Hopefully one day they can put one in that goes across lake Washington too.

You can pretty much guarantee the NIMBYs hating the poo poo out of that idea.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I noticed today that at my new apartment I can get CenturyLink again (at half the cost of Comcast and a pretty good but not insane speed), so I promptly switched.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm going to vote yes on that as well. I'm getting sick and tired of folks on the left getting in the way of progressive policies that actually have a chance of succeeding simply because they think they have a better idea that they couldn't do anything with. If it goes down, it shows that the left doesn't actually give a poo poo about climate change.

Yeah frankly, waiting for Goldilocks legislation is the definition of perfect becoming the enemy of good. And we live in one of the bluest states, it's not like it's just going to sit there and rot. Voted yes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People working in tech have all probably all met at least one Scott Adams-type, or five. The current trend in tech is a wave of companies that are mathematically incapable of making profit while providing little or no lasting benefit to their communities. Engineers are so in demand that companies hire absolutely awful people--misogynists, practicing alcoholics, victims of severe social retardation who could not find work in any other industry--as long as they have the skillset required, or at least have the certifications. That's a boom market for you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.bullittcenter.org/

Can't find the certifications you're looking for when I look, but they are pretty dern green.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Anyone can download the WA state voter rolls, listing all WA voters, their addresses, and the last time they voted. It's a huge file, so good luck opening it without special software. Crashes excel when I've tried for work.

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/vrdb/

This info from my experience is mostly what determines if anyone mails you anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had forgotten this was even a D&D thread and just treated it like a companion to the Seattle thread in Your City Sucks.

• Locked thread