Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't played this game in 7-8 years but I'm going to put a ton of time into the steam release probably. May be the only thing that can break my current planet zoo and TOME addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've had no luck with fortresses so far but I'm having fun, haven't played in 7-8+ years. I think the interactive part of the tutorial could stand to be a lot more varied in what it covers since it doesn't even tell you about bins/barrels and such though I think that's all in the help menu.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Got my first somewhat successful fort going. No real threats so far, but my hunter does keep getting knocked out while trying to go hunting, usually from a tree falling or falling into sand or something.

I have some questions since I don't really remember much about the game. First, since I have a pretty good sized river I've been using that for a water source, but it is getting bad to have to go outside to get water. Is there a method to find a source of water for a well or should I just dig around til I find some?

Second, also to do with digging - is there a recommended way to mine, or should I just go down levels until I find something or a cavern? Not sure how much I should be digging out z levels, I'm at about elevation 35-40 starting out so I have a ways to go to get negative.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Couldn't you dig a reservoir and channel river water into it, then build a well over the reservoir?

That makes sense, I’ll just make a reservoir near my farming stuff.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

In case anyone else is confused for about 8 months as to why your dwarves won't take the rotting corpse of a calf that starved to death in the early days you have to mark it for disposal. I thought that was the case but it took me way too long to figure out that there was a set of tabs in the UI that let you switch between items on the same tile. My poor dwarves had to deal with miasma all over their tavern and after it turned into a skeleton I finally checked again and figured out how to select the skeleton and get it to my trash pile outside.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I flooded my decently going ~3 year old fortress while trying to figure out how channeling, levers, and floodgates worked, but that's fine because I think I learned how right before disaster struck. Tried another fortress and I was still in the middle of making rooms when 6 human invaders arrived and slaughtered my entire fort. I'm not really sure why they attacked or if they might have been undead or something but that's fine because I was having trouble finding soil anyway. Think I'm understanding what I need to build and start making right away so it's taking less and less time to get up and running pretty well.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm not sure if gang tags are given out but I created a story through my own forgetfulness. Right as the dwarf trader was leaving in the second autumn, a goblin visitor came, who I really didn't want to start trouble in my fortress. Things had been going well including some carvans from the Elves and Humans where I was able to trade for some decent weapons and armor so I was prepared to fight just in case. I went ahead and burrowed my dwarves so everyone would be inside and I was planning on locking the outside doors.

He was a lot faster than I figured and by the time my dwarves left outside from trading he was in the tavern and arguing with my dwarves. I unlocked the doors and made a militia since I hadn't yet, and appointed a militia leader. He decided his first order of business was to try and put away a table for weeks, but thought he couldn't reach the storage and stayed right outside the door to it the whole time. I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't move. I eventually thought to mark the table as garbage and he dropped it, and went to the tavern with a weapon equipped.

However, by this time the goblin had made a friend and was enjoying a performance. I couldn't figure out why 90% of my dwarves were stuck in the tavern, dying of thirst, but also throwing a party along with the tavern party music playing. I finally realized that I hadn't ever turned off the emergency burrow, and most of my dwarves had been stuck inside the tavern for weeks, almost a month. The only one that had escaped was stuck outside of the storage. This all somehow didn't end up in disaster (yet), and I have a goblin friend (?). Curious to see if this will lead to anything.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, we're gonna be doing the gang tags for a couple more days. And it seems to me if you're going to accidentally lock a dwarf in somewhere, it might as well be the tavern.

Well, that story didn't end there. Immediately after my new goblin friend left, my tavern keeper went berserk. I told my army to kill him, and one of the militia attacked with the axe they chopped down trees with despite being a speardwarf.

The tavern keeper was equipped with a pick and was really good with it despite not being a miner, and pretty much took out the first militia with no issues. Another militia ran up to help but died immediately.

The berserk tavern keeper became shaken and started talking about death with every kill, saying it was truly horrifying.

Finally, a third dwarf, a 152 years old legendary clothier attacked. She disarmed him but he bit her toe, swinging it around until it came off. He then jumped at her head and bit that too, latching on.

After that, the clothier attacked the tavern keeper's head dozens of times, with repeating lines saying arteries and tendons in his skull were torn or opened. He finally died. Thankfully, the hospital was right next to the battle so the hero went and rested. She was scarred but somehow survived.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What's my best option for a Temple? I'm up to around 100 dorfs and they don't seem to be happy with my huge generic temple, I usually only get 2 or 3 going in there. I was thinking of splitting it up into a few sections of the most popular religions and maybe keeping a part generic for the rest. Do they need anything besides the normal decorations and an altar?

I think the elves are getting pissed about me cutting down trees (and accidently offering an animal bone cage in trade) so I made a moat and bridge into my fort and have two squads training up just in case. At the rate I'm getting migrants I'm going to have to dig out a big dormitory because they're coming in faster than I can get new rooms built.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Nessus posted:

Some people will have probably asked you for a temple/priest at this point. You can do those. It's usually the largest sects.

You can look in the drop down when assigning a temple for either an entity or a sect that you can assign a temple to. Personally I'd build a cluster of them rather than one big one but it's up to you, I just don't like vast open halls too much.

Alright that makes sense, my temple is gigantic in comparison to some of the other gathering places and that might be a reason they're not going there much too. I'll just see what my citizens are wanting.

i vomit kittens posted:

Have you added any instruments/wealth to it? I had a generic temple with a chest of instruments and enough gold statues to get it to the highest wealth level which seemed to take care of most of my dwarves. I had 5 smaller ones dedicated to the specific gods with the most worshippers, those ones I just stuck silver statues in to get them up to the second wealth level.

I have a few instruments and a floor but haven't got around to statues and engravings/smoothing since I've been dealing with population explosions. I'll make sure to pretty up the zones once I get them split up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'll probably set a cap at around 125 or so because at 100 I'm already starting to get a little overwhelmed since I'm still learning a lot of basic stuff while also trying to herd 100 dwarves 25+ of which are children.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 12, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had nothing going on yesterday so I played this game for about 10-12 hours yesterday and think I'm gonna have to take a break from this dumb thing. An ettin attacked before I stopped today and killed the visiting human merchant and my dwarves immediately vacuum'd up all their stock and the guards didn't seem to mind so now I have 800 food. Was really expecting that to turn out much worse.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm sure everything will be fine.

The next human caravan seemed happy with everything but there's a good chance the elves are gonna keep being pissed at me since I keep chopping down trees after saying I wouldn't. Hopefully some more ettins come :v:.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The number one thing right now besides less obtuse moods and military would be a way to select more than one thing for removal. I would move my dwarf beds and rooms further down but at this point moving 100 furnished rooms means I’m just gonna wait til next timeline and plan my layout a little better instead of reconfiguring now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

this goblin monster slayer is visiting, and they have no weapon or armor at all

starting to suspect they may not be here to slay monsters

Either an expert wrassler or much more confident than he should be.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don’t think I’ve made a single type of clothes the entire 3-5 years my fort has been going. Do I just need any shirt/pants/socks/shoes or do dwarves need specific clothes? I think I have boxes of cloth from trading so it shouldn’t be too big of a deal to make some clothes for my quickly becoming naked dwarves.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah if/when my current fort fails I'll be lowering the mineral settings, getting 3 sets of migrant waves that each have 10-15 migrants in the same year is very overwhelming and I'd like to lower that a bit.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think they replaced the annoying eagle cry with an equally annoying wolf howl. I like both of those sounds in moderation but they gotta at least turn down the frequency if it's gonna be the same sound every 5-10 minutes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I kind of hope that they just never add child dwarf sprites like they're planning because it's very funny to me to have 20 kids running around, half of which were born with long grey beards.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That's good, I'd really prefer to make tombs only for notable dwarves and nobles most of the time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im sorry did you ask for "functionality", all i can offer is creation of a literal hundred eyed angel with each tissue layer defined independently to better represent how many eyes a single iron bolt will skewer, and crops that grow geese that lay iron thrones.

And a very popular gorilla milking mod, somehow (I know how).

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lost a pretty cool fort built above some caverns to a weregopher infiltration. Never seen so many teeth as transformations kept happening in the hospital and my militia kept attacking.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

You can make mead from beehives which is nice to have if you want to use farms for something other than plump helmets early on.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trees fall away from dwarves but if it's a giant multi z level tree or there's branches to fall your dwarf will happily fall or get crushed. I lost my last fort because I had 3-4 dwarves that couldn't walk due to tree injuries, then a bunch of giant lovebirds, mosquitos, and flies kept attacking my dwarves trying to get them to the hospital and refused to listen to anything I told them to do while giving thousands of "interrupted action" or "can't get water to dwarf" errors until my FPS slowed down and most of my dwarves were too maimed to accomplish anything. Next time I'm just gonna lock the fortress if I see that many giant animals.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's kind of sad how these big bad ettins and minotaurs live 200+ years stealing fruit and things from villages for basic subsistence and then they stumble across my fort and 3 part-time soldiers who train 4 months out of the year in steel gear just handily put them down.

Can't imagine how it feels to be a forgotten beast and then get punched to death in two strikes by a militia leader who forgot to actually put any gear on.

Speaking of militia, is there any downside once you have enough citizens to not need the millitia squads to do much else besides train half the year to just make their uniforms always be on? Feels like that might avoid some deaths I've had just from them having to go run get their gear before fighting.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

So my manager needs a study but i cant find any documentation on what that means. Is this just a wiki moment?

That just means a chair for a meager study which you designate as a office zone and can assign to your manager. You can add a table and decorations to make it fancier if they're like a baron or mayor.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What do dwarves want in the bedroom that would make them the happiest? Just a bed and stone cabinet/chest plus engraved/smoothed walls so a 3 or 4 space room?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

DawnOfMinstrel posted:

Don't they have a "Don't show me this again" checkbox at the bottom?

That only works for the current save/maybe world and resets with new.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Pro tip I just learned:
If you don't like your dwarves running off into the caverns to die constantly, go into the labor menu -> standing orders -> automated workshops and turn off automatic web collection

And probably turn off Workers Gather Bodies in the hauling tab

And in the Refuse and Dumping tab you can set them to auto-dump things like butchered creature nerve tissue and hooves.

edit: oh my god there are so many features in this menu that I wish I knew about from day one, why are the default settings so bad

You can forbid your workers from running out to gather corpses or clean blood off walls during sieges, and you can forbid your dwarves from fishing outside designated fishing zones.

I somehow have missed this in ~50 hours. Also missed that you can set the F keys to location shortcuts using a button in the top right, thought F1 was the only useable one somehow and that it was stuck to your embark location :negative:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlb_ht31UU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Really hoping they fix or change how archers work soon. Could sometimes get my crossbow squad to equip bolts for training but they ended up not equipping when I was attacked by a slug web shooter Jungle Titan who wiped out 80 dwarves. Then when I was trying to repair my fortress flooded somewhat for reasons I'm not 100% sure of and I hit a human caravan with flying refuse and they killed more dwarves so :rip: that fort.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tuna-Fish posted:

I've been using archers since launch, and have not yet seen any issues. My only advice is, never have a stockpile that can take bolts that accepts bins.

I could get them to equip crossbows and quivers fine with both a custom and the default archer uniform, but never could get them to consistently equip the bolts (freshly made or old) from workshops or the stockpile w/o bins. Some equipped them to go attack the jungle titan but as soon as my melee soldiers had been killed by its iron wings those 2 or 3 stopped shooting and ran at it instead to die too. A fisherdwarf punched it in the head to death after dodging all the webs but it was way too late and I had 20 young kids with 7 adults left from 150. My elk bird industry had made me 4000 food but they all died along with my war elephant immediately.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

I feel as though I'm doing something different with worldgen settings than most people, and I'm not sure what. Some people seem to be at elevation -100+, but my first cavern layer is exactly 5 z-levels below the surface (which is at elevation 43), and my magma sea is elevation 12. I'm using very lightly altered default settings, so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Here's what I found trying to equip a crossbow squad:

1) There appear to be quite a few crashes when trying to interact with the squad menu. In particular, it was fairly (though not completely) easy to crash the game by trying to create a new squad without first appointing a militia captain.
2) If I set the squad to use the "archer" uniform when creating the squad, they would equip bolts. Even if I immediately changed their uniform to another crossbow-using uniform they'd still equip bolts, even if I added new members after doing this. They continued to equip bolts and practice in the range I set up for years, and they used their crossbows in combat situations as well. However, when a member of the squad died, their replacement would not equip bolts until I remade the squad entirely again with the archer uniform selected on creation.

That was my experience with crossbow dwarves and the squad menu.

Edit: As a note I haven't seen the behavior of "charging the enemy with your crossbow when you still have bolts" yet, in fact I had my crossbow dwarves attacking a downed/incapacitated target and they stood a few feet away and continued to shoot bolts at it for quite some time until it died. No fortifications or barriers of any kind between them and the target.

That has to be it then, I think I originally had that squad as a melee and swapped them to archers. I'll just recreate squads from now on for ranged.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone seen any kobolds at all lately? I'm wondering if they're just getting wiped out in world gen every time.

I somehow had a single living city of kobolds left in a 250 years generated world but otherwise they’re pretty rare and seem to go extinct before 100 years is up.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Accepting doesn't really make it much harder. It pretty much just forces you to name one dwarf as a baron, who needs good rooms. I believe you can have noble inheritance and get a mayor even if you don't accept--it happened in my last fortress before I even got the offer. And they'll need still want good rooms and issue mandates regardless.

Trade steps up pretty significantly in bulk if you accept, and you can clear a path for wagons to reach your trade depot.

Yeah nobles can be annoying and absolutely worth causing the accidental death of if they're asking for leather poo poo all the time and you don't have a pasture of animals or siege equipment, but a lot of times it'll be like "make 3 buckets" and the extra trade items and such is worth building a 3 tile cart path into your fort and dealing with fancy rooms for royalty. It does suck when you're 10 minutes into a fort and get a queen/king immediately though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Affi posted:

I have the most misanthropic dwarf ever.

Hes miserable because he wants to hang out with friends or family. But ofcourse he has none.

Besides that he just feels nothing about everything.

I could exile him if he turns worse but what the gently caress else can I do?

In my experience, not much. I had a militia commander (due to skills) that hated everything and wanted to spend time with a non-existant family, eventually started tantruming and "being dizzy" and I just kicked her out. She had like 4 best friends she could have spent any time with at all if she wanted to be happy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sankis posted:

What in the gently caress is with aquifers with this release. It feels like I'll get like 6 layers of a light aquifer and then 10 more layers down will be a second one. It makes sedimentary layers basically unusuable in the embark.

Lately I’ve been going with no aquifer embarks with either a river or digging to caverns early and hoping for an underground lake or river because I’ve been annoyed by deep aquifers followed by more later down.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Started a "Joyous Wilds" embark. Had just finished my second door to seal my fortress in the start of the second season when a herd of 9 giant agitated boar slaughtered my entire fortress and 6 war dogs. I think I'll start a more evil embark next time.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had my current fort word enter Age of Legends in year 4 before I even get down to the caverns much at all. Is that going to affect me a ton besides less invading forgotten beasts/titans? Planning on heading down to the circus with this fort eventually if not because I have so much access to steel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

For picking up stuff I make sure that the standing orders are changed to dwarves picking up outside refuse, make sure to have a refuse/corpse pile, and then set those to go to my atom smasher drawbridge refuse zone every time that stockpile gets filled up and IME with that standing order changed literally every single dwarf that can haul will rush out and throw away poo poo as soon as you mark things for deletion. My capped ~120 dwarf fort can pick up garbage in less than 15 seconds outside and then it's just pulling a lever to delete the garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really think I should be able to trade like 1400 currency of mugs and bone crafts spread over 2 years without also getting 90+ migrants so that I have to spend the first years of the fort mostly building bedrooms to made sure the population cap of dwarves in year 3 can have a room and don’t get annoyed at the dormitory. I just feel like the population can balloon way too fast for the value I’ve been trading.