Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So I felt like getting into DF again. Downloaded DF (although bay12's website has something wrong with its security certificate or something since firefox really didn't want me to go there) and downloaded the lazy newb pack only for it to trip my firewall with some virus or something that it's quarantined (it says Trojan: Win32/Rundas!plock). I did do the checksum of the .zip and its hash matches the one on the download page but I'm not very technical sooo... is this some kind of weird false positive or did someone sneak a trojan into the lazy newb pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Oh man. So I started playing this again and I've just been learning the ropes and taking things very easy/slow. Which is why the entrance to my fortress was just a staircase into the ground and I had zero defenses or military set up like a year into the game. A bunch of people got mauled by a were-weasel that showed up and then mauled further by subsequent turned-were-weasels. In fact that's probably going to keep happening since I saved in the middle and haven't continued playing yet.

Surprisingly my fort is still going and I used that time to build a big room with like 60 coffins to store all the dead dwarves. If nothing else I have a hospital now and I'll be looking into drafting some military or something next time I play. Other than that I still want to check out libraries and temples. I built a tavern and it's pretty cool seeing random visitors show up. :3:

I also looked into the legends browser and that's a fun thing on its own. A dead elven civilization was originally lead by a brilliant military strategist (her name was Laci Browntundras the Strategic Vision of Confederacy which is why I checked her out) - for the first 30 years or so she led a dozen assaults against a dwarven civilization, coming out victorious each time. The tides turned as goblins started besieging the elves and they kept losing every battle until she and every other elf with her got slaughtered by trolls in The Conflict of Violence. The princess who succeeded her was a great astronomer who had advanced the field quite a bit, but she met her end to goblins as well within the month.

Meanwhile another elf civilization has had like 30 rulers in as many years, including the elf vampire named Fecici Fragranceballs. Interestingly enough she was wounded by a goblin vampire and was then captured by humans in a battle. Perhaps because she hated her captivity she profaned a chapel and was cursed with vampirism herself. About six years after this she became queen (god knows why) and 24 years later finally aroused suspicion and fled to a different forest retreat. At this point it seems she decided to become a poet and moved to a hamlet to apprentice under some human. Since then she's traveled to a bunch of different fortresses and penned a lot of random poems. I guess that's one way to spend eternity.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Maybe Toady could have a literal therapist profession that would turn bad thoughts/memories into something neutral. And you could have the psychopaths who have fond memories of seeing slaughtered kittens.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the post sharing your forts. I play DF every few years for a couple days while failing at easy stuff but reading about all the random poo poo that happens to other people never gets old. :allears:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Gonna buy this on steam immediately when it comes out. My experience in DF is limited to attempting to play it like three different times after spending a week prepping each time by watching videos etc but I was never really good at interacting with most of the systems like making soap or whatever. Either way he'll get my $20 even if I never attempt to play it again.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I gotta say, just reading Toady's "working on" updates is basically as good as the game itself. I mean the guy went from villains to making abomination experiments to different types of dice so you can gamble with your God of choice. I love it. :allears:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think last time I played DF was like 7 years ago so I am hella excited to completely fail at baby's first fortress on steam in a month!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Songbearer posted:

The story that keeps coming back to my mind is trawling through Histories (Legends? It's been a while) for significant characters. I came across a named crocodile that had been killing shitloads of people until one dude came up against it, fought it and lost an arm. He fled from the battle only to come back and fight the crocodile again months later after recovering.

Now this wouldn't be all that special except the guy fought this crocodile for decades and each time either he'd flee or the crocodile would flee, only to go back and do it again and again and again for seemingly all of recorded history. The crocodile never slew anyone again, nor did the guy ever change his route in life. I can't tell if it was a somber tale of a man and his eternal duty to keep this crocodile busy for the good of mankind or a heartwarming story of a man and a beast content to wrestle each other as best buds forever

I love legends mode. If I remember there was some kind of mod or something that made it easier to read through legends, I hope that's a thing with steam release given there's even workshop integration already! Playing a fort and looking up all your immigrants to see if they got up to anything before you started is always fun.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

tell us you've never played dwarf fortress before without saying you've never played dwarf fortress before

(don't get me wrong though, I'm excited for it to be more accessible to people who haven't played it before!)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My first migrant wave was 2 adults and 6 children. Four of them are this guy's:

He has 9 children, only one of which is a son. I retired the fort to check legends and he didn't really do anything of note except have six apprentices, one of which is a great horned owl woman.

They're probably going to starve to death or something while I slowly piddle along trying to learn how to do things.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I would like to request a gang tag please!

A lot has happened in my fort but here's the first request I received:

Of all the worshippers that could have wanted their own temple, it was The Moist Faith. So of course I built them a nice one, and the head priest is named the Sacred Lobster. I love this game. :allears:

Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 8, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

re: tombs/crypt chat. This is the one place where I wouldn't use the multi/auto designation if you want a bunch of coffins in one room. Just make an individual tomb "zone" on top of each coffin that encompasses just that coffin.

I learned this because I had a dwarf go berserk and start some kind of huge brawl in my tavern that left like 8 people dead. :downs:

As a sidenote, I did have trouble burying dwarves that died though. Their corpses were hauled into an outdoors stockpile, maybe that was why? I had to memorialize slabs that all said they went missing but that's not even true! Oh well.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

what is he getting out of this

"He heard the Peppers of Channeling was the place to enjoy oneself." Guess not... :smith:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

e: ^ well most of my random deaths have been to random giant agitated wildlife so this might make it easier lol

I don't know if I'm just getting lucky or just cheesing it but I have a bunch of cage traps around my entrance staircases. The only were-thing that showed up is now sitting in a cage (that I put in my general temple because why not). Same with a couple goblin thieves. Also caught some crows and eagles which I figured out how to train, so they are now also guarding the outside while chained up.

It's not all smooth sailing. I did have my two fisher dwarves die in an agitated giant crow attack, along with a few other dwarves while I sounded the alarm call to try to get them inside and get the military to deal with it. Made a squad of marksdwarves after that. Also one of my starter 7 that I had named after a friend died later to a giant wombat attack as well. At least unlike the fisherdwarves whose bodies rest at the bottom of the river, his body was actually recovered and put into a casket.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Clocks posted:

I would like to request a gang tag please!

A lot has happened in my fort but here's the first request I received:

Of all the worshippers that could have wanted their own temple, it was The Moist Faith. So of course I built them a nice one, and the head priest is named the Sacred Lobster. I love this game. :allears:

I think I got skipped, or I guess building a temple for a cool moist faith wasn't as interesting as I thought.

So I'd like to request a gang tag again, and this time I offer up my digging through the legends of a scholar that moved into my fort, Oddom Bonesoiled. She started off as an herbalist and quickly became a doctor, but I guess she was more interested in the research side of things since she moved to a library to pursue a scholarship.

She discovered suturing, then wrote a manuscript called "Can Sutures Save the World?" in 89. In 90 she wrote a manual called "Better Suturing."

Basically this dwarf was the inventor of modern medicine as we know it! (Despite this, I wouldn't say she had much doctoring skill since she spent all her time being scholarly instead.) Anyway, she ended up in my fort and penned "True Suturing" there, as well as one more scroll:

What mistake? :iiam:

EDIT: and as I post this I see I got my gang tag :downs: thank you so much!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I also have two necromancers who migrated in the very first wave. No trouble from them yet.

Also was checking out a random dwarf and:

Which of us don't choose to live an orderly life after being rained on a bit too many times? (What a cool feature.)

I was also checking my tavern and-

It's a "sacred beard" - a priest of "The Bearded Creed" faith. It's also a, well,

And indeed it has no vision. This hasn't stopped it from becoming a legendary miller, dyer, and beekeeper, as well as having legendary skills in persuasion, negotiation, lying, and consoling. I guess when you're LITERALLY AS OLD AS THE WORLD you pick up a few things.

I hope someone makes a workshop mod that lets you read legends without having to do the whole retire fort -> read legends thing. I would love to know the story behind Ono Itekuda.

Anyway, interestingly enough, this fortress hasn't had many visitors at all. I don't know if my other fort was just in a better location or what, but I had something like 100 bards living in my fortress after a few years. In fact it made me choose to start a new one because having so many bards for a couple years before they do anything useful seemed like a bad idea in hindsight. Well, now I haven't gotten any petitions at all despite having visitors! It's a much slower start but it's been quite a bit of fun anyway. The only thing of note was a cougar that some peasant hand-chopped in the throat and a human bodyguard brained with a pike as their caravan started to move out.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My first forgotten beast showed up! It was a giant freakin' spider in my caverns.

Ok, I got my 15 military dwarves together and stationed them at the one staircase into the caverns that I have. It was wandering around down there. Maybe I should initiate and engage?

... nope! Definitely not. Well, eventually it wandered its way to my cavern entrance/exit and I ordered my dwarves to attack it. Basically the same thing that happened to the troglodytes (getting one-shot by its giant feet) happened to my dwarves. Except you know how I had mentioned in my previous post that two necromancers had migrated at some point? Yeah, one of them was in a squad and the moment his fellow mates went down he just rezzed them.

The "strategy" basically turned into distracting the spider long enough with risen-corpses until something finally happened. I'm actually not sure at what point the tide changed, except that the zombies were now punching the spider and one of the living dwarves got a couple hits in with a weapon before going down. Eventually the beast succumbed to the assault.

I now have four zombie-dwarves. Luckily my novice doctor is on the case:

I can't seem to put them back into the military but can otherwise assign them labors as usual. Cool, I guess?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The tale of two necromancers continues.

A while back, the Sect of Dust, a faith worshipping the deity of murder and death Gedor, asked for a personal temple. So I built them one:

At the time the statues, decorations etc weren't quite enough to get it to become prestigious enough, so I stuck an artifact mug on a pedestal in the middle.

Well, at some point it went missing, and maybe around the time I personally noticed it, I also got someone who reported it stolen. No leads aside from that, so I had my law dorf go around interrogating randoms to see if anyone knew anything. Well, about ten dwarves in one of them just flat out confessed!

(Ironic that the artifact was named "the Depths of Vanishing" lol.)
The necromancer got a slap on the wrist and 28 days in jail. Unfortunately, this goblin monster slayer is nowhere around, so I guess the case kind of ends there. Maybe at some point a visiting bard will let me know they know where it went and I can try to go on a mission to get it back, but I admit I've never interacted with any of that so I don't know how it works.

Downside to the justice system: I've been naming all my dwarves random names to make them more memorable to me in the case that they get up to something, but the justice system uses their original names. Actually, what's worse, is it uses their original names + translated last names, whereas the unit list shows their nicknames + untranslated last names. Oof. :negative:

edit: after I got done typing this and dealing with a new migrant wave, this same necromancer got elected mayor. Hooo boy.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Is it normal to acquire like 40 elven, goblin and human bards and poets who want to join your fort so they can just party nonstop in your tavern? I'm not sure if I should kick them out for being mooches or wait and see if anything goes awry with this.
One of my first forts I said yes to every single petitioner and literally ended up with over 100 bards chilling in my tavern, it got to the point they actually started making the dent in my 500+ drink stockpile lol. I would probably maybe check them out to see if they have any particularly good skills and otherwise tell them to hit da bricks. They do eventually turn into citizens about two years later after which you can assign them labors. (Unrelated but I remember someone mentioning that you can cheese labors for residents by going directly to the labor tab while viewing the actual unit, but I can't be bothered with that...)

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

Wait are you saying undead raised by friendly necromancers are no longer hostile to everybody in your fort that's NOT undead? :aaaaaa: this changes EVERYTHING

Yup! I have 4 zombie dwarves now. They can do labor like usual; the only thing they can't seem to do is be assigned to the military (but they will fight stuff if they see it, albeit by punching it). That said since these 4 were military to start with they basically just haul stuff and hang out praying to gods and feeling nothing.

To be honest it feels kind of a bit cheat-ery. Like these dwarves had their skulls smashed in and they're walking around and literally no one cares. Realistically I feel like their existence should provide negative thoughts unless your dwarves are into necromancy... then again, the main god of my fort is the god of death and murder so maybe it's appropriate.

There's a friendly undead troglodyte my necromancer raised up as well. That thing doesn't even move off the stairs it was on.

I currently have two forgotten beasts roaming around the second cavern layer, but there shouldn't be a way for them to get out so I guess I'll leave them there.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Okay, deconstructing my trade depot seems to have sorted them out. They are leaving, but left all their stuff in the depot

I actually had similar buggy behavior as well. Traded with some humans, they happily packed up and started leaving. Except on the way out one of the guards got into a fight with a cougar. No one died or even got injured but they wouldn't actually pack up and leave and just stood frozen on the map. Well, finally after like a year of nothing happening I deconstructed the trade depot and the humans got done leaving. To be honest I'm not sure I suffered any negative effects either since they were technically on their way out already anyway, even though I definitely "stole" some items from said depot.

Also, despite being hostile on the embark map, I checked via the world map screen in fort mode and apparently my civ is friendly with the nearby goblins? I guess I'm not complaining, but so far the only things of note have been three forgotten beasts, two of which are currently in an inaccessible cavern layer.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

How can I help fulfill "Need: be with family" for people that don't have a family?

Edit: Also, how come my dwarves keep racking up unmet needs for praying? I have a pretty large, non-dedicated temple they can use.

I think those dwarves are just stuck being family-less. Most of my starter dwarves are like this.

Also as far as I can tell, the prayer thing might be a combination of not having enough downtime (ie if they're too busy crafting or hauling stuff and just don't get around to idling) as well as some dwarves preferring having dedicated temples.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pakled posted:

Hotkey menu, it's one of the buttons surrounding the minimap.

I think the default keybind is 'h' to bring up the menu. And you can set up a bunch of them! It's very handy.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think when you edited the uniform it saved it with no bolts. Until it's fixed do not gently caress with ranger uniform.

I have absolutely successfully made an all-metal marksdwarf uniform. However I have also unsuccessfully done that. Even worse I've had the default archer squad end up with no ammo either.

It just seems buggy in general, especially without a way to manually designate ammo. My suggestion is to actually, in fact, gently caress around with the uniform and/or just reform the squad entirely if you notice your marksdwarves have no ammo.

Having played quite a lot these past few days I agree with the posts about some of the missing UI stuff. However I have faith that toady will work on it. None of it seems insurmountable in terms of putting it in the game or anything, it just seems like oversights with getting the new UI out. Overall the game is a ton more accessible than it used to be and it's still a lot of fun.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What labor subtask is "planting poo poo in farming fields and picking them"? I keep ending up with withered crops and I can't tell if that's "nobody's picking them fast enough" or if I just haven't had to babysit it enough in the past to notice that plants naturally wither over time even while harvested, and I'm not what the breakdown between "Plant Gathering", "Farming (Fields)", "Hauling Food" and "Plant Processing" is.

Would designating a plant-gathering zone help? Do farms even count as "plants to gather"?

So planting is a planter task (by default everyone does this, but you can make a specific dwarf do it, which will increase the yield if they're good at it). It's one of the labors that has its own unique task that you can set from the labors menu. Harvesting should be auto-on by default for everyone.

Were you in a burrow or were the farms inaccessible somehow? Not enough room in stockpiles? I don't think I've had crops wither but it's also super easy to set-and-forget farms so I haven't noticed one way or the other.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If you have a library they'll often haul around books and scrolls to read or discuss them, but usually they'll put them back, especially if you have bookcases (not chests, those are for storing writing utensils). That said my tavern does have random instruments and a couple books lying around, I think some of those were from visitors who got interrupted or something.

If those items are "owned" by a dwarf then they probably won't be hauled though.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I have killed a couple more forgotten beasts, and a while after one of them a few dead people popped up. Oh no, maybe its breath or something had poisoned them and they were dying a couple months later? Luckily no, I memorialized a random bard that was found dead in my tavern and it turned out she had died peacefully from old age. One of the beasts did have ichor or something that made my dwarves get increasingly drowsy and fall asleep. I have a well with a stockpile of soap nearby and I do think they sometimes take baths doing that, but I don't think I've found a reliable way to clean anything specific. I know people used to use mist/waterfalls to make sure to get gunk off but I don't know how I'd accomplish that in this fort.

I also figured out how to use most of those useless bards as cannon fodder. If you just don't restrict them in a burrow they still tend to do "everyone" jobs like, say, hauling stuff out of the caverns. Where the forgotten beasts are. I can't say whacking those with instruments or books is particularly helpful but it does get rid of the freeloaders and give you time to set up your militia. I suppose that does cause some negative thoughts and potential workload via coffins and such but, hey, there's only so many musicians I really need.

Speaking of coffins, a militiadwarf had her hand lopped off at some point. She's alive and well now, minus the hand, which someone helpfully hauled to what's been designated as her coffin. Kind of macabre, really.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

edit: ^^^^^ I had totally forgotten to put an appropriate floodgate while trying to dig out a bigger cistern for my well and I had to do some emergency door + floodgate maneuvers to close that room off. It's now underwater. We don't talk about that room anymore.

Nettle Soup posted:

You can make a dwarven footbath. Dig a 3x3 channel in front of the entrance to your temple or dining hall and make sure the ramps are like this, with walls on either side so they can't skip past it.

|VVV|
|XXX|
|VVV|

Fill it with a pit/pond designation and buckets, until the water in the bottom is all 2 but with one square of 3 high water. The 3 stops it from evaporating.

Everyone has to go through it to get in and all the gunk will fall right off 'em.

I think I'll put it in front of my food stockpile, in my next fort.

Why thank you! Definitely going to see if I can place that somewhere relevant. I normally don't care too much about blood splatters or whatever but they kept tracking around some of that ichor for months. If it had been something more deadly this would've been a bigger problem.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

the best meals you'll have in your life
e: I want to make it clear I have literally like 300 of these

Clocks fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Drakenel posted:

Go raiding! From the world map you can click on enemy locations. Select openly attack if you want to throw down. (I usually select raze because I want them purged) They'll bring home any artifacts that are there. Good reason to build a library!

I sent my first raid out - two squads to some elven hamlet or other that was said to have two books.

Well, the squad came back with absolutely no fanfare (I don't think they got the books), except that when I looked at the world screen I was now hostile to a dwarven civ. ????

Luckily I haven't been attacked by fellow dwarves or anything. I checked legends mode and they had led an assault (I told them to be quiet, dang it!) and went up against a dwarven company. No one got hurt and they had to retreat. The hamlet or village or whatever was actually settled by a bunch of random undead, because my world has like hundreds of necromancers or whatever. So I'm really not sure what that dwarven company was doing there but okay.

I did have a few "sieges" that arrived and then disappeared, from what I've learned that means they were just passing by my tile on their way somewhere else.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nosre posted:

Do you need two separate temples when you get the request for the next level religious building?

I've had the base one for a while and it has 47 followers. Now the request comes in to build the next level (the one in yellow), but that only has 10 followers (the Communion of Crests)? That makes them seem like they are different things and would require two rooms.

On the other hand, upgrading the initial temple to the next level seems like it makes more sense

So, different sects/faiths can request temples. You need to figure out whether a different sect wanted one, or whether the sect that has a temple wants an upgraded one. Both can happen and are separate things.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I was looking into a bard who petitioned to join my fortress (I usually check to see if they have any interesting skills whatsoever, and send them on their way if they don't). This guy came in holding a scroll, so I looked into it. On the Author was a 17-page essay about the authoring of a different work, written by... the guy holding the essay. Okay, what was this other work he had written?

A poem, that was absolutely terrible. Furthermore, the poetic form the poem was written in was a literal one-liner, usually about war. His "poem" was about tranquility.

I like to imagine he wrote something like, "peace is good, actually," got universally panned, and then wrote a 17-page essay to defend himself. He'd probably be a twitter user if that was a thing in dwarven times.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I walled off the caverns I hit because I didn't want to deal with them when I opened them and now it's a real poo poo show down there. There's three different forgotten beasts wandering around, eating crundles and troglodytes and occasionally attacking each other. It's just a constant combat alert on the left side of my screen.

my third cavern layer has a forgotten beast spider that has killed 4 other forgotten beasts (and counting). the fact they are incredibly fast and can punch things with up to 8 legs at once is pretty wild, probably never going in there.

Robo Reagan posted:

df twitter is just the poo poo they scribble on the wall

:hmmyes:

GruntyThrst posted:

Anyone else having issues with all dwarves doing medical work? My doctors are all poo poo because they can't practice.

Set your orderlies to be specific dwarves instead of being done by everyone? And make sure within the hospital zone the "best" dwarves for the job are set up as a doctor + diagnostician.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nosre posted:

I'm guessing that's "different sect" in my case since the number of followers is different. No way else to tell, though, is there? The god (The Cobalt) and the aspects of worship (Mountains, Caverns) are exactly the same, and there's no religion screen that summarizes the request.

vs

So the names in blue are the gods/entities being worshipped, the names in yellow are the sects that will usually request a personalized temple. Unfortunately there is no way to look at a request after you've accepted it so for this reason I usually take a screenshot or note it down somewhere. But yes, it would probably be one of the yellow options that wanted a temple, and probably whichever was largest.

And as I said in my first post, sometimes a sect that has a temple asks for a fancier temple and then you upgrade the original one you had built for them.

Hopefully in the future they will have some kind of "requests" tab to make it easier to keep track of which temples and guildhalls your dwarves wanted from you.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

also, soap aside, can you automate milking?

like, if I do this:

does that mean it'll automatically queue this up only if an animal is ready to be milked?
my assumption is no and that I have to do it by a certain amount of days instead.

You can set it to look for available milkable items >=1 (or whatever it is you desire).

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A couple pages ago but apparently I gave the wrong advice about milkable items. I guess I set up that order in my fort and never checked back on it because I literally have a stockpile of like 3000 prepared food so I do not really care whether I have milk or cheese or not. So, my bad.

Secondly, there was some discourse about monster slayers. They are rare enough that I accept them always, and I leave them (and the bards, actually) unrestricted to my defense burrow. If your caverns are open they tend to go patrol them, which I would describe as relatively useful. Even more useful, I had a duo of monster slayers take down a forgotten beast earlier. One was a swordsman who whacked at it until his hand got smashed and he dropped his shield and eventually succumbed to it. The second was a spearsman who stabbed it enough times he eventually severed the body in half (it was a beast made out of ice or amber or something similar, so it was chip damage rather than straight up cutting it).

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So I think I killed my own fort via fps death.

I posted really early on about how I basically took down a forgotten beast because I had a necromancer raising zombie dwarves as they died to it, until they punched it to death via rez-rushing it. The dwarf zombies were friendly and after getting sutured up by my doctors, went about my merry way being fairly productive (albeit apathetic) members of my society.

Well, I had an outdoors battle with a goblin siege and a necromancer tagged along. This was a mistake. The siege went down just fine, but the necromancer raised some body parts, raised some dead zombies (of the goblin variety), and these things are not friendly. So now I have like 50 dwarves wailing on continually-resurrecting bits and body parts and my game basically crashed to 0 fps.

Now I think any necromancers that migrate are going to be expel-on-sight, or at minimum forced into jobs where they don't interact with anything that might end up dead in front of them, because it's more headache than it's worth. :psyduck:

Before this happened I did have a fairly successful(?) raid on a nearby settlement. I've never tried it before so it was actually pretty neat:

Yeah, that's right. They brought back a tame bear and a jaguar. And a persimmon!

Clocks fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 14, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been having a real hard time starting a fort up and getting it off the ground without something making me restart.

I just started a new world and fort, decided to build in the cavern layer. Right from the bat I dug to -89 elevation before finding the first cavern layer. Started digging things out there. Then in late summer of the first year with only ~5000 created wealth, one of my dwarves was declared king :effort:

That sounds a bit like your dwarven civilization (something you can choose before embarking in the bottom left of the screen) might be dying out, hence they moved to the only place that was sort of flourishing.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So something seems to be bugged out in my most recent fort. Is it the bookkeepers who also appraise the value of, well, things?

Because my bookkeepers seem to have given up keeping any records (hell their record keeping skill is rusty, although my stocks are up to date). I don't know the true value of any of my artifacts, my rooms, or even my fortress wealth - everything just caps out at saying ~2500? wealth. For instance I have a grand guildhall and it just says ~3500? despite it being above 10k in actual value.

I've assigned different bookkeepers, different brokers, given all of them different offices etc. None of it has helped.
edit: reading through the wiki it might be brokers, but I've changed my brokers around as well to no avail. argh

Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 16, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't understand what you're supposed to do about werecreatures. I just turned them off in settings. It feels cheap but like . .. doctor dwarf cant help with that

Burrow + making your fortress inaccessible for long enough for the were-creature to transform back and walk off.

Mansionkiss's first hurdle was actually a were-lizard visitor that transformed right in the middle of my tavern. Luckily since the fortress had just started up, he was basically the only one there, and my military took care of him with only a couple fatal casualties and my militia commander getting bitten. I patched him up and exiled him.

The next were-creature appeared at the map edge, which gave me time to send a burrow order and raise the drawbridge to my fort. (Forbidding doors might work just as well, I haven't actually seen any door destroyers working.) Wait a bit, it turns back, runs off the map.

Only real downside is that like three years later the militia commander I had exiled returned to attack me, which at least healed his crippled leg, did the same thing, waited him out and he left.

Now, if I was unlucky enough to get a visitor transform in the middle of my tavern of dozens of people I would have a much harder time dealing with it, but I find were-creatures really aren't that bad if you just wait them out. Oh, and they're really susceptible to cage traps I've found. I've prepared for actual fights before only for them to walk into the first one they see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If the trader profit turns green I am pretty sure they will accept 100% (barring something like elves rejecting your poo poo because you selected one thing that was decorated with a mussel shell).They will typically want a sizable amount of profit which changes with value. 1000 profit might be good if you have a trade worth 500 or something, but it's pointless for them to come for that amount when you're buying 25000 worth of goods instead.

I kind of agree with the goon who said that prepared meals should probably be nerfed in value a bit. It's not even like my previous fort where I had something like 400 single meals worth 10k value EACH, but even without that the stacking of good ingredients + a good cook will make super valuable poo poo worth more than most crafts + decorations.