Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

xzzy posted:

Half the internet is obsessing over new TE gear, the rest of it is obsessing over the new Polylend toy. I was hyping myself up to get a Deluge and then that thing launches and I don't know what to do with myself now.

They're comparable but not the same, and the worst part is each one has features I really want that the other doesn't.

That korg oscillator looks pretty cool too, if they ever sell it without a book that's a sure buy.
Having an OP-1 and liking it quite a bit for what it is, but also having had the "Teenage Engineering support experience", I:

1.) find the company name absolutely on point, but not in a good way,
2.) don't really think they do great electronics, but do think they're an interesting & successful design firm, first and foremost,
3.) will probably never buy another one of their products, at least not their electronics, and almost certainly not new/direct from them (versus used).

This is all subjective, of course: YMMV. That said, I was impressed that they shipped USB audio in the OP-1 firmware a while back, something like almost 10 years (or nearly so) after the OP-1 originally shipped. (That, though, was after a long period of nothing doing in the firmware, IIRC. Which is probably what made it at all notable; everyone had more or less given it up as "done" through lack of updates, but not due to an actual statement.)

In other news, I'm probably gonna buy an OB-X8, aren't I? God dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

JamesKPolk posted:

Just saw they hired the guy who did the other much-maligned OB-Xa clone as a DIY project, which is kinda cool
The real kicker is I'm also waiting on my VS-1.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MMD3 posted:

Does anybody have the Hologram Electronics Microcosm pedal? I've been looking at reverb pedals (mostly the Strymon BigSky) to add some color to my drumbrute and minibrute but now I'm thinking something like the Microcosm might be way more what I'm looking for, less deep in reverb but broader in having some fun delay and looping capabilities to do some soundscapey/ambient looped poo poo or play with glitching drum beats.

Curious to hear what people think. I'm generally just needing a first good effects pedal and it seems like reverb is #1 priority.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Do not get the Microcosm as a first effects pedal. It's more for texture than for delay, reverb or looping. Its microloops don't work in a super orderly manner and it won't quite sync up how you expect it to. Beautiful, but VERY unreliable, obtuse and finicky.

I was fortunate enough to be able to mess around with one for an hour or two. And later on, I did pick one up -- two reverb effects units later. It has some significant quirks that make it not ideal for a delay/reverb go-to. Even now, I find myself using it less than my Specular Tempus and Mimeophon. It isn't great for jamming or improv -- you have to work with its idiosyncracies and play to its strengths in a way that can get kinda frustrating. It takes time to dial things in, and that dialing in doesn't translate to its other algorithms.

So yeah, it's a great pedal for texture, IMO. In no way does it even approach a good investment for dedicated reverb/delay or a good entry point into effects, though. If you can go somewhere and try it, do it. But the YouTube videos aren't accurate to the experience of using one.

MMD3 posted:

I guess the texture is more what I'm looking for honestly, the bigsky and other dedicated reverb pedals are probably overkill for my need but I'd like to have something to create texture and inspire, I've probably watched a dozen review videos by now and it seems pretty playable w/ midi sync. I wasn't being fully honest about first pedal. I have some bass pedals (EHX bass muff, envelope filter, etc) that I don't use much for synth playing and I also have a rack-mounted alesis midi-verb that works well but I don't enjoy playing with it much as it requires too much menu diving (like most old rack mounted effects).

So I have another reverb unit that I can use if I want something specific but I'd love something that encourages exploration/inspiration.

That Eventide H9 also looks like it's kind of opposite of what I want as far as interface/usability goes. I mostly just do soundscape/drone jams and haven't gotten to a point where I'm recording a lot yet, still mostly just having fun learning my way around my minibrute and will probably pick up a microfreak at some point for a wavetable synth.

96 BELOW THE WAVE posted:

I have a Microcosm and I loving love it.

It's not a BigSky in terms of reverb, like, at all, but it's just stunning pedal in terms of making absolutely incredible sounds out of other sounds. Running a guitar through it? Very neat. Have huge amounts of fun with it. Running a Typhon through it? Also incredible, really amazing drone capabilities. I love putting synths through it. The most fun I've had? holding up a lovely tape recorder to the output of my speakers and then running that through the Microcosm. Looping sequences and having all the gorgeous tape-fuckery come through in the micro samples. I love this pedal so loving much oh my god.

It is a wild, wild instrument and I hate to say "yes this extremely expensive pedal is amazing" but gently caress, it's amazing, especially for what it sounds like you enjoy doing.
As an owner of all of the ones I think have been mentioned so far (Microcosm, Big Sky, H9 Max [recently, thanks to forums poster curried lamb of God], Specular Tempus), and some others that maybe haven't been yet (Space, Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp, Space Echo, Empress Reverb, ZOIA?, NightSky, Mercury7 [also thanks to forums poster Kilometers Davis]), I agree with the sentiment that Microcosm probably isn't what I'd suggest for "a reverb" for synths, but also it is awesome and I heart it.

I (think I) understand what you're looking for, and I get that you have a MidiVerb and another reverb unit (or is that just referring to the MidiVerb?), but for whatever reasons, when I read your posts, the first thought I had was "if this person is in Seattle, we should just meet up and they could try them all", and then my second thought was wanting to steer you to look at say GFI's Specular Tempus or maybe Meris's Mercury7 first, or maybe Space on discount (e.g., used), or maybe better yet Eventide Blackhole or BlueSky, though I get those latter ones are more dedicated pedals with less reverb options and controls.

For things Microcosm is cool & good at outside of reverby-ish things, I might also push you to check out Montreal Assembly Count to 5, not to dissuade you from Microcosm, but to give you some more options. And actually I really might push to suggest the MS-70CDR (no joke) too. Chaining the "pedals" within the MS-70CDR is pretty dope and gives you a lot of options. I really put Microcosm more in the same headspace as Count to 5 and blooper and MOOD

RIP Dave Smith

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Google Butt posted:

Welp just unboxed my opsix, hosed screen out of the box.. max brightness.

Coolnezzz posted:

Uggh that sucks.
Yeah, I'm a little worried about this issue. A commenter "James" over at Synthtopia said similar things and experienced a similar issue (unless that's you Google Butt) here: https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/08/01/korg-opsix-altered-fm-synthesizer-now-available-for-330-was-750/#comment-1460163

As of earlier today mine hadn't shipped yet per Reverb, so I'm just gonna wait and see what happens...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Mr. Sharps posted:

the best syncussion clone out there is the division department 01/IV and i will fight anybody who denies it. midi only though, but if you're dropping big cash on bespoke drum voices you should probably have a good midi sequencer already
Why fight? Get both. SEND IN THE CLONES!

I do like the 01/IV, but I like the (PsyCo X, in my case) SY-1M more as a Syncussion clone. I am a bit mystified about folks who find the 01/IV "too limited" though, but I also admit I have a drum synth addiction...

In other news I finally play the opsix unboxing lottery tomorrow (WRT screen, etc.)... DUN DUN DUN...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Achmed Jones posted:

as far as i can tell musicians friend still hasn't shipped mine

ngl im kinda annoyed
FWIW, mine didn't get shipped as shown by Reverb until last Thursday. The ETA was tomorrow, but they actually arrived today, but I didn't see the notice until it was too late to pick them up, so tomorrow it is. Anyway, before that, there was no movement on the Reverb shipping status since the day I bought them...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
opsix update:

Picked them up yesterday, didn't have a chance to unbox and play the "scratch-off lotto ticket" game until today, just a bit ago, and of the two I bought on crazy discount, both seem to be OK at least WRT out-of-the-box screen brightness and basic sound (through headphones). My main concern was screen backlight, so just wanted to see if that was dim/nigh-unreadable/unreadable out the gate, and both of the units I got seem fine on that front. This is the opposite of exhaustive testing though, FWIW. All that said, since one of them was bought with the intent of giving it as a gift, I at least don't feel I need to worry about the screen backlight issue some people have experienced on that one.

Also FWIW, just as two additional data points, both of the ones I ordered had FW 1.0.1 showing as what version was installed on the first boot of each.

Mine were purchased on/via Reverb, so hopefully others who bought via Musician's Friend, etc. get theirs soon and also fingers crossed for no HW issues...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chainclaw posted:

anyone have a module they want to love but struggle with?

The Oscillographic Block is my favorite module I own, on paper, but in practice I struggle understanding the interface, and I struggle getting sounds out of it I like. It's also a massive 36 HP. I'm tempted to replace it.
Just in case you ever do decide to get rid of it, please do hit me up. I'd be interested in taking it off your hands if the stars align.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

Congrats on the sale!

Why did Walgreens turn you down for the bivalve juice? Too soon after your previous booster?
Yeah, why did they... CLAM up?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Hit me up if any of y'all are looking for a Chaos Clank.
Check your PMs (albeit not re: a Chaos Clank.) ;)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I bought a Pamela's New Workout in August and now I get an email that there's a new version - Pamela's Pro Workout.

All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan! :homebrew:

I don't actually care that much, it's just mildly annoying.
Going off of just a video Perfect Circuit put out on their "top 5 favorite new features" from the PRO versus the NEW: meh. I suppose I'm most interested in the additional CV ins, and maybe the 12-bit resolution change on outs, but the other three things they talked about were 1) the bigger OLED screen and some improved visual feedback on it, which.... not a big deal to me currently/kind of a don't care, 2) quality of life UI stuff with the start/stop button and the encoder (which seems like the sort of thing that ought to be able to be ported to NEW barring something strange), and 3) new implementation of cross mod.

Maybe there's other things beyond that list that would really push me to get one ASAP, but at the moment, I'm think I'm still good with the NEW I already have, and the expanders I have for it.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Oh god I started to go deep into postmodular non-Eurorackian modular in the form of multiple Buchla easel expansion cards...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay weird post incoming.

Been using bigwig and really like it, but vaguely feel like I should ditch it because of the whole ordeal with the spectral suite last year. Also watched a Venus Theory stream where someone asked if he was still using it and he gave a resounding NOPE

I guess I'm just mega stressed at work and lack basic decision making skills outside of nursing poo poo.
I mean, if it's working for you and you like it and there's not a functional reason to switch, I'd say nah, unless the non-functional reasons to stop using it "pay their way" (so to speak) with you as to sacrifice the investment in it in favor of something else. Not saying they don't (or do), just saying that's how I'd look at it.

You can always stop using it later if something like that reoccurs. Or, you could always start up the learning curve (whatever it may be, steep or shallow) on another package (i.e., DAW) now in parallel, just as backup or as a skills broadening exercise, or just wait and add something later (again, if the situation reoccurs).

I use multiple DAWs and similar software packages incl. Bitwig and for myself I wasn't particularly put out by the whole thing, but I get why people were. I thought the way they ended up resolving it was fine for me (and initially, more than I expected to happen). But Bitwig isn't my personal end-all be-all, so it was less of a big deal to start with.

Dunno if this really helps you at all.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I'll be a little surprised if I'm the person in this thread that ends up defending FL Studio. :frogc00l:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cabbages and Kings posted:

There's 200 like it, and this one is gonna be mine

listen to like 45 secs of this starting around 18:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFqeAzG-S0&t=1056s

PRETTY DANK, FRANK

I can only hope the LED is as obnoxiously bright as the Taiga.
Finally! :frogsiren: Bought, as with all their Safari stuff so far. :homebrew: :rms:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

net work error posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WndAYrXRYM

Let's see if it actually gets made or not
Key question will be whether it ships before the retail/fully-built VS-1...

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have been looking around for midi hubs actually. The one I was looking at was the MRCC 880 from Conductive Labs. They're locally designed and have some cool routing and switching features. The one you posted looks good, although it would be nicer with DIN connections i think. Looks nice and compact, though.
Nothing against the MRCC 880 or Conductive Labs -- I have an MRCC with the Remote 7 box and a NDLR (though I don't know anything about the MRCC 880 specifically) -- but in the realm of MIDI hub options, also take a look at Blokas Midihub: https://blokas.io/midihub/

minidracula fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 21, 2023

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Reposting this from the PYF 90's thread:
It does, however, make me feel very old.

Wait until these folks discover Roni Size.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Someone talk me out of (or into!) the RK-008. Anyone here have one already?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

RocketMermaid posted:

And I have a Keystep Pro for live playing, and an Eloquencer for sequencing :)
How do you like the Eloquencer? How do you use it? What other sequencers (if any) have you used before (or still use alongside it)?

I ask just because I'm soliciting people using Eloquencers for their thoughts, esp. compared to other sequencers (if applicable). I don't have one, but I've idly thought about it, but have held off for now (I have too many different sequencers as it is).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Because I want to talk to fellow addicts who also enjoy my [i]particular[i] current drugs of choice, Eurorack-wise, is anyone else here been into either (or both!) the Pittsburgh Modular Safari series (including the goon who previously recently alerted me to the release of The Toad, which arrived for me on Monday!) (and/)or Tiptop Audio's Buchla "t" series modules?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Also if anyone wants to start down the Behr 2500 path I will let all this go cheap. (70% prices, shipped conus, individually. Will also take $222 shipped for all of it or trade for a single module, probably).

It's a fun idea but I already have the bArp and I want to be building video racks this year not Behr modular versions of more classic synths.

The googly eyes can be left on, or removed, buyer's discretion, and I will make an SA-Mart thread for transparency if there's interest.
I am game! I doubt I have something to trade (so will probably just go with a straight purchase), but can't hurt to ask: what would you be looking for as trade?

minidracula fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2023

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

I love Bad Gear and two nights ago our six year old said "Bad Gear? Yea, let's watch that, it's the best!!!!!". Also that episode killed any desire I had for a Nymphes, so, well done Bad Gear.
Not to be a pusher, but you should get a Nymphes.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

oh for sure but he is very honest and some times the limitations he calls out turn me off to something. Nymphes reverb seems terrible, who cares, but holy poo poo did the workflow look terrible to me.

tell me more about your menu diving addiction, lol. I said no to the nymphes + erebus deal so I'm probably out of contention on that one for a while.
I hadn't watched the Bad Gear video on it, so I just did, and overall, I think he nailed it. Ignore the reverb unless you wanna screw around, and you learn the menu system. Is it intuitive or "discoverable" compared to lots of other synths? No. But I think it sounds really good, actually great for what you get in the package and at the price point (especially used or on larger discounts). If you don't care that you have what it is in an analog synth, you can certainly do better both UI and money-wise in digital and/or with software.

Perhaps this says more about me than anything when it comes to the Nymphes: As I was about to press play and watch the video, I had this thought bouncing around my head re: the UI, which was something like: "I mean, I have and like the Rozzbox; the Nymphes by comparison is way easier to use". Then, towards the end, after he had covered his take on the UI/UX pain points and overall sum-up, that thought was paired with "I also have and like the MFB Synth Pro". This was quickly followed by the (obvious) realization that I'm willing to put up with UI/UX pain for synths I think sound good, screens or no.

(Keep in mind that I also like sequencers that operate like late-70s/early-80s calculators, among other... let's say baroque kinds. Are they my only sequencers? No, not by a long shot.)

Is a Nymphes a must-have? No, not at all. But I do think it hits a nice sweet spot and is kind of alone there right now.

Let me know if people get annoyed or bored by my A/V club experimentation. Here's QD drums doing weird poo poo in Spectraphon land, Beads land, AND video land. Video data is modulating Beads, too, so the animal is eating itself.

The mostly empty bottle of rosé is a sign I had dinner, or, at least, caloric content. I don't have a drinking problem, really, compared to my eurorack problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojh6hrKdA9k
I think you should continue posting A/V stuff here, since it'll give me the perfect cover for when I might eventually do likewise. Also, it totally fits the thread IMHO.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Cabbages and Kings, you might be interested: inshallah, I have a BPMC Video Nasty on the way, to join my burgeoning stable of A/V monsters.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks again for the Behringer 2500 modules. All of them arrived and the process of finding case space/eurorack feng shui has begun.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 18, 2023

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Boody posted:

Haven't really had a chance to do a deep dive but did have some fun with the mainbow and some t420's I'd picked up earlier this year.

lofi future wasn't on my radar but that thing looks cool and they have preorders up for a new version, I will keep my eyes on that. LZX is getting my cash for a while :sigh: :laugh:
I too got some T-420 units (both modular and standalone form factors) last year, along with some other LoFi Future items, after like over a year of waiting for them to be built and ship. I don't think I had everything from that order until September, if memory serves (shipped in two parts, first was somewhat earlier), and I had ordered in like, I wanna say June or July of the previous year. I've only had a little bit of time to futz around with some of the stuff since then, and while I'm nominally interested in stuff like the new T-420 Ultra High Grade module, that experience has made me more than a little apprehensive about buying direct again.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

JamesKPolk posted:

Why are there so many more early digital delay re-issues than reverbs? Or rephrased slightly, what's the prescription for my GAS, doctors?

I'm thinking of like the Korg SDD-3000, the Roland SDE-3000D that just came out, and I guess the Space Echo ones too though thats really both and neither.

I'm after just a basic-rear end Lexicon-ish room algo to always have on on a send. I don't mind extra bells and whistles but I have a Space for that which ideally I'll be freeing up from room duty (there's a decent PCM60 preset on there which is how I know what I'm after).

I considered a newer budget Lexicon but I didn't love it when I had one (not sure if this is me or the box), and of course there's the OTO stuff but that's a lot of money to sound like something cheaper. ITB I'd for sure just go Valahlla (maybe that's why there's such a paucity) or some IR hacky thing. I saw the Red Panda Context which I think is almost there except I want stereo, and the Chase Bliss thing which is great except it's freaking $700

Is there something I'm overlooking? Either new or actual vintage, I just know I'm way more interested in warm fuzzy analog stages than cool algorithms.
Are you looking for something in a particular format, e.g., Eurorack, or just in general? Because I feel like there's options for what you're after; you already mentioned Valhalla re: plugins/ITB, and in Euro, among many other options, you could kind of replicate that with e.g., Tiptop Z-DSP...

I have Space too, and a bunch of other reverb pedals/boxen, etc., though nothing rackmount ATM, so I guess I'm curious at trying to drill down more into what you find lacking right now.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Can someone summarize what the exclusively new things are on the mkII models of the wavestate/opsix/modwave? My limited understanding at the moment is that wavestate mkII has double the voices compared to the first one (now 128, IIRC), and the same sort of upgrade for the opsix mkII (from 32 to 64 voices), which leads me to think it's a platform-wide upgrade that everything built on that platform will share (in some per-product appropriate form). What else is there that's new & exclusive to the mkII models?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Man, I don't need this right now, I'm thinking about finally getting an ER-301...

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

In other weird news: look at this loving thing.

Super dumb, kinda want? Ability to easily load own art assets, plus my large-and-swelling LZX rig, makes me want it more....

Look at this bullshit. Yes, they have an expansion module that lets you use an NES controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ay74S34XI&t=49s
First module I bought, along with the Control Core. Knew about it years before I finally plunged into Eurorack. Now have two. YMMV.

WRT the HW, the Ming Mecca (both World Core and Control Core) schematics and Ming Micro gerbers, etc. are open too, BTW. Folks have built their own.

I feel like I'm going the opposite way into Euro visual stuff from you, in some sense. I still haven't plunged into any LZX gear, but I have a number of other visual bits and pieces, most non-Eurorack though.

(Now if I can just get another Oscillographic Block...)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

W424 posted:

I accidentally installed korg usb driver last month and discovered that it will still gently caress up your windows registry.
Hrm. What did it do?

I have a version of it installed and I don't recall/haven't noticed badness, but I probably installed it quite a while ago now. I should poke around and see.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

B33rChiller posted:

Yeah chips is repackaged e-waste, bit Capt big O has that Pittsburgh touch. It takes more hp than chips though.
So far the only Cre8audio modules I've bought are a couple of Capt’n Big-Os and a couple Function Junctions, though neither are currently in a rack. Though, I am moving a bunch of stuff around at the moment, so that may change.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

I know that generally we strive for a high bar of quality here and that posting memes is probably frowned on, ergo, one should not do such a thing unless it seems funny enough to get probed for.

I've seen a lot of synth memes in the past 2-3 years, this is the first one that hit that bar for me
Nothing I've seen yet tops this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgNo5Smino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I no poo poo bought a winrar license last year

what the gently caress

Cabbages and VHS posted:

it's come up in conversation multiple times already and I've been able to pull up my license code email to prove I'm not full of poo poo. The reaction you just had is universal, at this point whether I'm dealing with other computer toucher people or talking to the carpenter we use, everyone under 50 knows what Winrar is and they will all give you a WTF reaction. Absolutely worth the cost of entry, plus the smug satisfaction of knowing I'm supporting software I've used forever.

I basically never bother to actually register the app, though. I did once, then reformatted.

Please forgive the poor form of cross-posting (well, cross-linking, I guess), but relevant to this, see this post and the ones from there until at least my post further down the page, about 10 more after it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914936&pagenumber=370#post539387369