Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

UH, I'm a volcanologist.

Beats, Bass or Keys?

e: But seriously, folks... that's awesome.

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

Trying to do the LP sample based beats business on a JJOS MPC1000 made me feel hardware was in the way, but selling that and getting an SP404SX put me back on the right path. Sampling and assigning something to a pad in a couple of seconds, would only get better with an SP12 mode and a non-ghetto pad-mute method.

Gotta find the right stuff. I started out making .mod music on Amiga so I like working with some restrictions and limits.

Renoise.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Cuckoo posted this demo video of Teenage Engineering's PO-12 drum machine. For $50 it seems amazing. 16 sounds, 16 effects and parameter locks for each step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI4l9LC38iU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
So, I've got a Monotribe and a KP3 and am enjoying pretending that I was kicked out of Kraftwerk for being too boring. But I'd like them to sync up and maybe have another voice to play with. Would a Microbrute accomplish this?

I was thinking it could go like this:

Midi out of KP3 -> Midi into Microbrute -> CV out of Microbrute -> Sync in to Monotribe.

Not looking to sequence anything from anything - just want things to run concurrently and be able to use the sample aspect of KP3 more. Would it work?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sizone posted:

Do a midi mod on the monotribe. It's ridiculously easy.

I thought about it. £50 seemed a like a lot. I decided I'd rather use a Volca and when thought about the Microbrute and... well, here we are. Low budget GAS, I suppose.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

There is no way I could even attempt that.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sizone posted:

Seriously, do you have a friend who owns a soldering iron and a screwdriver?

*small sob*
No...

The £50 was the MIDITribe mod. Since found the DINTribe, which is a bit cheaper. Maybe I'll do it. I don't know. I think I was also looking forward to having a bit more to play with than just the monotribe.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
You may be right, but you haven't answered my question.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Thanks. I'll have a bit of a think about it before buying or opening up anything. At the moment I feel sort of halfway in and halfway out of the box when it comes to making music. Using the computer makes sense from a practical and financial point of view. It just doesn't feel as fun as linking up boxes and doing things on the fly. I'm sure that, like most things, there's a halfway point that's the sweet spot, but having limited resources means I don't quite know where to go.

Back to the monotribe for a bit...

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Anyone have any experience of Audulus? Was thinking of getting it to learn a bit more about synthesis. It looks much nicer/friendlier than other software modulars I've seen.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

My phone broke last night so now I have an iPhone. What are some good noise making apps for this? First time on iOS for me.

I like Nanoloop. It's quite minimalist, a bit tracker like, but feels like one of the only apps which isn't trying to cram a big interface into a small screen. It's the one I come back to, even after trying all sorts of others.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

I mean if I'm going to lust after a synth I can't afford or ever justify buying, it's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yi3HiXWjVI&t=228s

I usually find polysynths a bit too "synth-y" for me, but that sounds amazing. I also found the guy's presentation winning. Nick keeps asking questions and he keeps playing, like he can't believe how good it sounds.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Alternately, I just picked up some stuff from Michael Rucci and he has an 8bit synth that is powered by a 9volt battery and has keys on it already. Looks drool proof.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/480841262/8-bit-power-synthesizer?ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1

The video for this does that thing that so many synth demos do in that they'll crank rates up as fast as they can go, when what I really want to hear is their slowest cycles. I kept hoping that the rate knob would go before 12 noon, but it never did...

But it does look quite nice and sounds more interesting to my ear than a lot of chiptuney stuff does.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

field balm posted:

Anyone else find it wierd how excited the internet is for the polyend tracker? Is it just younger people/people who were unaware previously that trackers existed? I feel like anyone with a pc could do this already, even if it's a 15 year old laptop or something. Marketing is pretty powerful.

Yeah, i was thinking "Wow, that looks cool and pretty reasonably priced" and then I realised I had Renoise installed, so... what?

I hadn't considered the age factor. The idea that this was how it was done back in the day can be attractive, maybe particularly if you're making rave or drum and bass and want that authentic feel or something. The other age group that it might appeal to is old fuckers (my age), who left trackers behind and now are waxing nostalgic.

"This is just like OctaMED!" etc.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Novation: We got a super-sneaky exclusive Aphex Twin model coming up for you!

Novation: *releases 7-year-old synth with year-old firmware and some new badging*

Same as the industry ever was, I guess.

edit: I mean, Moog just did effectively the same thing with the Grandmother/Matriarch rereleases, but c'mon. Literally a coat of paint, y'all.

Chipping in with the Roland SP-404A. Fuckers.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

floatman posted:

What's a good iPad app that does sampling?
Something like how people use a sp404 or MPC to chop samples and make songs. I know there's a MPC app that even has a virtual turntable but I would like to know more

There's also Koala, which is a conscious nod towards the SP404 with similar effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

One thing I can maybe recommend to broaden your perspective with elektron workflow is to download and learn to use Renoise ($free) even if its just a fifteen minute youtube tutorial. Elektron sequencing is basically music tracker software in hardware form. Learning renoise gave me a lot of perspective on the elektron sequencer

Renoise isn't free, but it is cheap ($75) and has a generous demo policy. Unlimited time, unrestricted load/save, but no export and a few features limited.