Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm looking for a new midi keyboard since the M-Audio Keystation I have blows, the keys feel terrible and I hate it. Does anyone have recommendations for anything in the $150 range?

I don't need knobs or pads on it because I have a Maschine, so I'm really just looking for something with nice keys, pitch/mod wheels and either 25 or 49 keys since space is at a premium for me.

edit: basically just stop me from buying a microbrute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My Maschine is still really nice, works better in Maschine than it does in Ableton. I would buy the Push if you're into using Ableton a lot. Mapping the Maschine pads and knobs has kinda been a pain in the rear end in Ableton, I have to redo it a lot and I don't know if that's my error or some sort of weird Ableton thing.

edit: If you want midi in/out the Push doesn't have it but the Maschine does.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 28, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Avalanche posted:

What would be a better beginner synth option assuming money (no more than $600) isn't really an issue? The Korg MS20 Mini, or the Arturia Minibrute?

I'm looking for something that I can use independently from a DAW if I want to, but something I can also plug into a DAW with no problem. I want to take music lessons again to build up my theory, but I want a fun instrument that doesn't necessarily require a laptop and a fuckton of wires and other stuff to get working.

I'm guessing the mini? Is there any other beginner synth out there someone could recommend?

If you want something polyphonic so you can play chords and stuff, I'd buy a Volca Keys and a midi keyboard to play it with. The other suggestions aren't really in your $600 price range (as far as I can tell from googling) unless you get really lucky.

It also has a built in speaker and interface and runs on batteries so you can sit on the couch or wherever and play with it. You could get the keys, an Arturia Microbrute and a lower-end midi keyboard (if you don't want to use the microbrute as a keyboard, which I'm pretty sure you can) and still be under your budget.

I don't think the Keys will be your Perfect Synth Forever, but it should be pretty good for just learning how to make noises. I kinda wish it had been out when I got started.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 30, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Radiapathy posted:

I recorded a MIDI chord progression and designed a bare-bones supersaw patch on the Virus and six different plugins. Every patch had only a few elements: single-OSC, 2-pole LP filter (wide open as saved in preset), fast attack/smooth release ENV, whatever detuning/stacking features the synth offered. I ran each patch through the same delay and reverb and posted the results to SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/sets/supersaw-comparison

Thanks for doing this. I'd never heard of Alchemy before and now I really want it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

So what you're saying is that you should buy it before they have to take it off their website.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Since I'm not going to buy an OP-1, any suggestions on apps for the iPad? I usually have that with me and can noodle on that a bit.

I would love to know this too since I don't really have anything portable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

net work error posted:

No :( I'm sure it'll actually exist maybe eventually but for now it's looking mighty vapor-y.

Re: iPad chat, not to be that guy but wouldn't the iPad thread have the best answers?

I'm 100% sure that the ipad thread could give me a list of synth apps, but I'd rather ask people who know their poo poo which ones are good. I mean, a cursory search shows me a ton of different synths from big names, but I don't know which are actually faithful versions or worth messing with.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My guess is that the Rhythm Wolf doesn't actually exist, it's a mass shared hallucination.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I... I have history and polisci degrees. I can't do anything but read.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mrwimmer posted:

https://soundcloud.com/mrwimmer/i-can-wip

I am having entirely too much fun with this. It's really nice to be able to drive hardware I like with software I like more :dance:

I know you didn't post this asking for feedback but it would be a billion times better if you didn't have the synth in the intro playing so goddamn many notes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sizone posted:

Wouldn't, you know, turntables be more retro?

Not lovely retro enough. Shitro.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Los Osciladores is my favorite, and I might steal it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If someone isn't making music under the name Euro Power they should be.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does anyone have experience with either the Nektar Panorama or the Novation SL mk2? I'm looking for a new 49key controller and I've more or less narrowed it down to these two. I've got a Maschine so the pad quality on either one doesn't really matter, and I'm using Ableton as a DAW so I think they'll both integrate equally well with some work put in.

I'm really just wondering about the qualities of the keys, build, and anything else I'm forgetting. If there's some other keyboard entirely that would be really nice in the same price range (Akai?) I'm all ears.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AxeBreaker posted:

A 500$ interface for 500$ software. You can't just buy monarch and play it with that, you have to buy Komplete.

This isn't actually true, you can buy Monark whenever you want.

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag. The lights above the keys showing chords and scales is kinda cool but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels and, again, it costs 600 goddamn dollars.

I'm pretty happy about them adding an arpeggiator in Maschine 2.2 though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Synth Squad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

net work error posted:

I saw this posted in the effects thread and have wanted one since I saw it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhQJ4pT9Kc

My trip to Japan is getting well timed in order to get this pedal and the Miku jambox that is getting released. :getin:

Excited to put my x0x through that pedal.

Now that I know what this is, I kinda want one too. :3:

You can program your own lyrics into it!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Your Computer posted:

On the contrary, it's the biggest piece of poo poo ever and it feels like a cheap plastic toy and the integration is a horrible hackjob :eng101:

Turns out you're right, after spending a day with mine I'm sending it back for a refund. The software sucks and refused to update the controller firmware, the automap poo poo managed to crash ableton somehow, and worst of all literally everything on it feels cheap except for the knobs, and I have enough knobs via my Maschine for that to be a reason to keep it. I'm super disappointed, I expected way better for that kind of cash. The keybed was barely an upgrade over this lovely $50 M-Audio thing I have.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Oldstench posted:

Well, I just got a huge loving raise and am seriously considering getting a Komplete Kontrol S49. Can anyone with any NI hardware comment on their general build quality?

I have a maschine 2 and the build quality and basically everything about it feels wonderful. Nice pads, knobs, screens, everything. It feels like a nice piece of hardware, nothing toylike about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up the Komplete Kontrol S49 and it's an excellent piece of hardware. I came to it after hating the Novation SL Mk2, which felt cheap and toylike to me.

I have no such complaints with the Kontrol. The keys are nice-feeling but not overly stiff. The aftertouch is a little weird, but that's not a huge thing. The integration with Komplete is nice. I kinda wish it had some faders on it, but I can find something else to cover that. I think my desk workflow is either going to be Kontrol + Maschine or Kontrol + whatever else I get with some faders on it depending on if I'm making sounds in maschine or sequencing in ableton.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nice!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have a UR22 and it's been rock solid for me, but I'm not trying to do anything fancy with it. I've only used the inputs to run my guitar into Guitar Rig.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm always interested in cheap synths/drum machines, but after the Rhythm Wolf fiasco I'll wait for reviews on these

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

People do things with the Wavestation besides pick Wave Police and hold keys down for a while?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like Bitwig just because I can use 64 and 32 bit plugins at the same time, I don't even mess around with any of the really cool stuff.

The workflow is super straightforward, which is nice.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey do any of you have experience with the new Komplete Kontrol keyboards? They look pretty neat but I'm wondering about how they really play.

I have the S49, and I like it a lot, although it's still a synth weighted keybed so you can probably get 90% of the feel for like 50% of the price. It's built like a brick and all of the dials and other buttons feel really good. If you're not in it for the Native Instruments integration and you're actually adept at playing the keyboard so the chord notation lights won't help you, I'd skip it if the price is anything close to a concern.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2015

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

:catdrugs:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr. Glass posted:

e: oh and also here's Moog's Mother 32 announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCJacEzcU7A

big synth news day!

Well, I was excited about those Roland modules but this + a drum machine seems like a better use of my limited synth funds than a drum machine and a couple roland boutique modules

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dear Teenager/Young Adult,

Just pirate Ableton and some synths like everyone else without a steady source of disposable income does.

Love, synth community

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm officially diving in the bleep bloop poverty hole aren't I?

No, you're not getting into Modular.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Barnyard Protein posted:

Whats so bad about it? Seems like a good controller that the kid can grow into, so long as she can figure out how to (%) config a DAW. The (%) symbol marks the point where i realize what the problem is. seems like a lot of poo poo to have to figure out just to noodle around along with youtube videos. Seems like a good tool for a child to learn with If the parent can help setup the DAW so it can light up the keys.

That dude is rich as gently caress and I'm jealous, that's what's bad about it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you were gonna spend <$600 on a MIDI keyboard, what would you buy?

Seriously, recommend me a keyboard.

I actually really like my Komplete Kontrol 49 but I'm rear end deep in the Native Instruments ecosystem.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MrLonghair posted:

Crossposting from my Swedish forum, the guy was all "you guys and your massive halls of synths and racks"

:3::3::3:

I need this, tell me more about it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Luna posted:

So I've been giving the software + controller some consideration. What is the consensus on the Komplete Kontrol series?

I like my 49-key version a whole lot but I'm not convinced it's worth the money unless you already use the NI software. A lot of the cooler features, like the browsing wheel and the different colored LEDs only really work with their stuff and a few other VSTs, like the Arturia synths.

If you're in the ecosystem already, the keybed is super nice and it seems to be built like a tank.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey, have any of you had a chance to play around with the Roli Seaboard RISE thingies? Kinda thinking about getting one.

I haven't but I got a newsletter from bitwig about it and now I'm drooling over it. It looks so drat cool.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

MrLonghair posted:

Just had it confirmed from the show floor. Korg Volca FM will be 6op 3voice DX7 in a little box. Holy poo poo.

shiiiiit

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

I learned a lot just by working through this book with FM8:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Noise-Frequency-Modulation-ebook/dp/B008H7CEQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453750577&sr=8-1&keywords=fm+synthesis

Yeah there's a lot of options, but once you start to get the basic ideas the FM8 layout mostly just makes sense and becomes quite usable.

Picked this up since I've always found FM8 really hard to use.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You're making me rethink my love of the Jupiter-8, thanks

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

minidracula posted:

Who here has the Arturia V Collection? Two things are making me think about picking up the new V Collection 5: one, the Synclavier V, and two, the discount I get for the moment for buying the whole kit and kaboodle (rather than just the Synclavier V alone). But I wondered if anyone had any trip reports about it. It seems like V Collection 5, which just came out, follows closely on the heels of V Collection 4, so maybe I should expect to be paying upgrade prices inside of a year or two if I wanted to keep current? Or has Collection 4 been out for a while? Also, is Arturia's software licensing thing (ASC) relatively out of the way and non-onerous?

I haven't upgraded to 5, but 4 is very good. Everything works well and sounds good, and it has good Komplete Kontrol integration if you're one of the dozen people on the planet that matters to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure Thomann (.de) would be happy to sell that to you for around €150, or at least that's the price I'm getting.

Hell I wouldn't mind having something like that for my hardware synths to help with my rudimentary note/chord finding skills. Does anyone make a regular MIDI keyboard with that kind of training function?

NI's Komplete Kontrol does it, but only with VSTs that support the feature, and it's really expensive.