Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

thehustler posted:

Anyway, how do we make this happen? MechJeb has a "launch inclination" feature in the ascent guidance. But for manual things? Maybe in Protractor, Enigma?

Just eyeball it and carry more fuel to supply correction burns. :jeb:

As long as you get into the ballpark it's not super hard to fix, if you've ever done it for Minimus that's pretty much all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

Looks like somebody forgot to flip the libnoise example map and add the crater.

What the hell, that's nuts.

Did they seriously GIS for a planet texture and use the first suitable hit?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It makes perfect sense and I've wanted the same thing for a while now. Eyeballing vertical placement sucks rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They don't die, they translocate back to their quarters at the KSC. Why do you think there's nothing but a cloud of dust when they hit the ground?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Germstore posted:

:jeb: Don't worry, we have plenty of delta-v because we are asparagus stages.
:jebstare: But we're sitting on the drop tanks...

The pro solution would be putting docking ports on the crew capsules, detach them in orbit to shed the middle stack, and then bind the two back together into a single craft. Maybe even add a decoupler to the crew capsule so they can transfer fuel from one tank to the other and ditch the empty tank.

Figuring out where to put the parachutes will be counted as extra credit.

Think of it as rocket building.. IN SPACE.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fucknag posted:

and could stand to cut engines

Does not compute.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nth Doctor posted:

The LES not only needs to get your capsule off of the top, but also away from the debris cloud quickly.

Sepratron, point it sideways. :jeb:

That's how I shed empty fuel tanks from the top of my stack, works great!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrDorf posted:

I may have missed it, but what's the best way as of this build to start off building science? I'm basically building and launching single/dual stage orbital ships with juuuuuust enough delta V to get into and back out of orbit. I'm about 3 tiers in, but I'm getting like, 10-15 science a flight, and hitting 90-tier stuff seems like a hell of a time-sink.

Once you do a couple missions around Kerbin and get the first couple tiers unlocked (decouplers is the most important upgrade), head for Minimus or the Mun. Even just orbiting those bodies will give you a heap of science.

Then unlock a couple more tiers, and land. Minimus is an easier first target because of the low fuel requirements for the return trip but the Mun is still very possible at low tech levels. Once you're landing on bodies you'll be generating more science than you'll know what to do with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pretty must just have the high school peak then a flat line until KSP is released.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I wonder if it would be possible to make a general plugin that kills donation links from other mods. Doesn't the module manager give support for overwriting files from any mod?

Not really, because it would just prompt modders to code around whatever detection gets put into the game. It's an arms race that rapidly spirals out of control.

Keiya posted:

Avoid bad mods? Fork 'em if one you like starts doing poo poo like that?

This is the most awesome solution, but none of the mods I use have popups or anything so :effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My moho solution is typically "exploit the poo poo out of nervas."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Axe-man posted:

I really want to have a list of days and which planet you can intercept. I am playing stock and really I don't want to put a protractor to my screen :(

Don't know a list of days, but there are web tools you can play with:

http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/
http://ksp.olex.biz/

First one calculates optimal launch windows for each body in the game, letting you start from a specific in-game date. The graph indicates how many days into the future the best window is (the dark blue blob).

The second is somewhat similar, but diagrams the phase angles and ejection angle. You can bring up the system map and just kind of eyeball it to get close.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately any such anchor would probably never make it to the lithosphere, it'd burn up in the atmosphere first. :smith:

So I say we try it on the moon instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

By the time we hit final release all bodies (and asteroids) will have biomes.

What about new block types?

Oh wait wrong game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You don't really need to commit it to memory, just use a rule of thumb of "250m/s at 10k" and adjust your throttle to smoothly hit that speed as you gain altitude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Huh. I've just been strapping eight of the biggest solid fuel boosters I can find to my rocket and hitting 400-600 m/s by 10,000 metres. I'll have to give this 'fuel efficiency' thing a try.

This is the proper way to play KSP so don't change a thing!

If you don't get re-entry effects on launch your rocket isn't awesome enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Green Calx posted:

I can only imagine the beauty of watching the real sun rise on the real moon.

It probably looks great for about two seconds before your retinas burn out. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm sitting over here waiting for links to tear filled rage posting from modders who are unable to pay their rent after Squad announces their new policy. It should be a fun few days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be even more fair, the Minecraft team has spent the last year or so doing a complete rewrite of the game to get rid of all the "Notch code" and the game still performs like poo poo. It's just a tough game to make fast because of all the data it has to deal with, and choosing to implement it in Java made it even harder.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had one of those for a while, I eventually threw it away because I never found a use for it. :v:

At one point I modded the springs out of the base so it wouldn't return to center and tried to play Descent with it. That didn't go well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maxmaps posted:

It is! But how is it worse? Putting aside tangential association with the madness of the minecraft modding community.

I haven't used Curse in years so I don't know what it's like right this minute, but a ways back they hassled you constantly to install their stupid client and required a billion clicks to get a normal zip file of a mod. There was a period where you couldn't download anything without being logged into an account as well.

I don't need a downloader app to download stuff, that's what my loving web browser is for.

Glancing at the site today I guess it doesn't look as bad as it used to be but I still have a lot of ill-will against them. Their search feature seems a bit wimpy, that's really all I got.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luneshot posted:

I'd like a mod manager where I can activate and deactivate mods at will without having to install or uninstall them. If I want to test a spaceplane both with and without FAR, it should be as easy as restarting the game with a checkbox unticked. It could also help with dependencies and such as well.

One of the few things that Rome 2: TW was enabling/disabling mods. You subscribe to them in the steam workshop, they show up on your hard drive, and the game launcher gives you a list of checkboxes that lets you turn mods off and on. I agree it's pretty convenient and it'd be a good model for other games to follow.

(especially when your game crashes with zero error messages whenever a mod does something wrong, go to hell Creative Assembly. :argh:)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I find the whole idea of resource gathering in a game like this horribly dull sounding.

What would be fun (to me) is a mission where some faceless corporation wants you to bring back 8 tons of dirt from Duna so they can make tchotchkes out of it. That way you don't give a crap what's on the planet but you still have to figure out the problem of getting a ship there and back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

"Modified?" Why would I need to modify my Steel Battalion controller when it works so well already?

I think it needs some upgrades:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/08/apollo_15_joystick/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I completely forget to check the debris orbits for several weeks. I only remember when I'm doing a launch and see a grey marker show up with a distance measurement next to it, and am curious where it came from. So I got to the map and hit the button at the top of the screen and :stare:

Could probably build an army of Voltrons off the crap I throw away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luneshot posted:

I can't figure out the subassembly system for the life of me- every time I try to save something as a subassembly it just tells me that I can't. I'm trying to save things like landers or capsules as a subassembly but I can't seem to get it to work.

It won't let you save "root node" parts, like the capsule or probe core you start out a new rocket with. You need to be able to attach the subassembly to another part with a single click.

Like if you have a two part rocket with a capsule and a fuel tank, you can't save both parts in a subassembly. But if you pull the fuel tank off you can save that as a subassembly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's a heck of an idea NASA is debating:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/15/nasa_agonizes_over_plan_for_mars_rock_sample_return_mission/

To bring samples back from mars:

a) Send rover to drill up rocks
b) Send another rover to collect drilled up rocks and drive them back to
c) A rocket that lands and waits for rocks and then
e) Launches into space to meet up with an orbiting craft to transfer the rocks which then
f) Flies back to earth for collection by astronauts.

:stare:

Should totally be a KSP mission.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They claim it's cheaper than sending humans there and bringing them back, so there's that.

It also seems like it puts some redundancy into the mission. Since every single component is probably going to be lousy with sensors, if one piece fails they can still get some science out of it. Maybe if they have enough money they could even launch a replacement for whatever failed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BMS posted:

maybe a gif or something?

Use the gooncam

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be happy if mods had a "no network access" rule. While this would obviously break KMP it would also short circuit advertisements and phoning home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume the same way any other violations get dealt with, reporting it to Curse and/or the KSP guys and having the mod removed.

It's probably overkill but I really don't see any legit reason for a mod to be using the network, especially given the security considerations it creates.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gau posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is your fuel depot at 300 km?

To avoid interfering with time acceleration, I assume.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fatman1683 posted:

Right I get that, but the SRB has to be manufactured with that channel configuration. I don't see how it would make sense to make it a tweakable.

If you define "tweakables" as specifying differences in the manufacture of the engine, it makes perfect sense. It just means you ordered that SRB with a different grain geometry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well there's also the thing where 99% of the names in the game are obviously masculine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

emf posted:

I hate to have to r->c->p in here, but I wasn't advocating for not adding female Kerbals to the male Kerbals in the game, I was advocating not adding gender to a game that doesn't yet have it (placeholder names notwithstanding), and certainly doesn't need it. In other words:

That's still not workable. Kerbals may not care about gender, but it's pretty obvious the humans playing the game do and they've already added gender to the game. Equality is a big deal these days and there's no good reason to not solve it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's still creeping on the girl, but at least he's keeping an eye on the altimeter too? :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the effect on sales is impossible to spot, I'm sure there's a minority of people out there that won't buy the game with only one gender but for the most part if they want the game, they probably already have it. Maybe a sales boost from positive PR? Who knows.

But it's still worth doing, it's not all about the bottom line. It'll make people feel better about having equal representation, which is the sort of effort that improves the company in the long term.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Where do baby Kerbals come from?

The weird building next to the VAB, they spontaneously pop into existence.

malloc() is the uterus for these people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like you should be using mainsails as RCS thrusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Call them FunBux and charge $0.99 for fifty of them.

• Locked thread