Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Anatharon posted:

Should I bother trying to play DS1 on the PC?

Yeah, it's a really really good game. The only thing that kind of stinks about the PC version compared to the PS3 version is that you will occasionally get invaded by an invincible hacker with level-draining attacks. If you pick it up, make sure you grab DSFix and turn on the save game backup feature, since that's the easiest way to recover from a really bad hacker.

On the other hand, it runs and looks so much better than the PS3 version that I would still recommend the PC version, hackers and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Preorder bonus? Well that's disappointing. Doesn't really belong into Dark Souls, imo.

Can i get these items through regular play? I'll just throw them away if that's the case and get them "properly".

You can't get them in normal play, but it doesn't matter because they're all really lovely.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Turncoat Mommy posted:

They are all found in normal play.

I thought you had to go into NG++ or some poo poo to get them all?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Ignimbrite posted:

I think something's up with my DS3, I get random button presses - pressing evade sometimes will make me drink an estus and get me murdered, so will attacking. sometimes.

When DS3s get old that happens - I had to replace mine last month because the problem got really bad. If you twist one half of the controller down and the other half up gently and it starts to execute a bunch of random button presses, then you might want to replace it. I think the DS3 just gets kind of loose over time.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

It's super rude to just randomly go AFK after summoning someone! Did you know you can, over a long period of time, if you move from the right direction at the right camera angle, reposition people who are standing still?

VikDaDik just learned that.

Oh wow, I had no idea the game actually censored names - I was wondering why so many people had asterisks in their names. Is there any way to disable that?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Spudd posted:

Can I just say that all the rings in this game look fantastic and I like looking at them. Especially the cat ring, I'd wear the hell out of it if one existed.

Given how much Dark Souls stuff is on Etsy, I'd be shocked if someone didn't make one eventually.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Azzents posted:

Got disconnected from online play due to Steam servers going down for like the fourth time today. The thread title should be 'Dark Souls II: Are we really better off without GFWL?"

Out of curiosity, did you play Dark Souls 1 on PC? GFWL had loads of downtime, and connections would fail just as often as they would succeed. At least with DS2 you can consistently connect to other people's games when the servers are up.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Domattee posted:

Keep in mind that the game's been out a week. As the population drops wait times and connection issues are going to rise.

Wait times certainly, connection issues though? There isn't any reason those should skyrocket just because less people are playing. Dark Souls 1 was never ever, not even at launch, as stable connection-wise as DS2 is now.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Hashy posted:

Times GFWL has inconvenienced me, in Dark Souls or otherwise: 0
Times the new Dark Souls 2 servers have stopped me from playing for ages at a time: Lost count

Weird, mine is pretty much the exact opposite. The new servers have stopped me from playing exactly once, but GFWL has: rendered all my saves completely and spontaneously inaccessible in two games, and inconvenienced me in Dark Souls 1 more times than I can count. It's so bad I dont' even bother to play the PC version if I want to do any kind of online play anymore - I boot up my PS3 copy.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok, that would be fine if there actual time travel involved. But no matter how you slice it it doesn't make any sense that by interacting with a memory you're changing things in the present, past, or anywhere in time or space. It's a memory.

I think the article writer took the gameplay concession of allowing the player to take loot/souls from the memory as an indication that the player's action there we're actually occurring in the real (game) world. That's seems kind of dumb for what is otherwise a pretty good article.

It's not dumb at all, what's dumb is assuming that the game's internal consistency - a game where concepts as abstract as multiplayer, tutorial messages, XP, NG+, and punishing people for disconnecting to survive PvP of all loving things are all contextualized within the story - simply doesn't apply to this one area of the game.

I think the memories are definitely open to interpretation, but if you think they are 100% intangible memories that can't change anything past, present, or future - then you have to prove it, because the game very clearly communicates the opposite by letting you walk out of them with tangible items. Yeah, if it was a normal memory you couldn't take stuff with you or change the past, but if you think you're replaying a simple memory, then you missed the bits where you were walking around seeing things the giant never saw and engaging in conversations the giant could not possibly have witnessed. People call them memories in the game, but the only thing they have in common with what we think of as memories is that they happened in the past.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I still love wearing the elite knight set even though I've basically worn it on half my characters going back to Demon's Souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

I really like the way it looks.