Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Soul memory makes easy way for much, much worse griefing than in DS1.

This isn't quite true, but it is not quite false either.

You can edit someone's soul level to 999 on Dark Souls 1 PC. You can't quite do something like that in DS2 due to Soul Memory's influence supposedly capping at 12 million.

Though admittedly it's a lot easier to screw someone over with Soul Memory by simply committing suicide.

There is also the banning threat, which straight out did not exist in DS1 unless you were unbelievably notorious. Though, I have not heard if the threat of bans in DS2 has been followed up on yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

poptart_fairy posted:

If I pre-order will I get the soundtrack now or when the game releases officially?

The latter. At least, I certainly don't have it despite being gifted the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't get that sentiment.

I keep getting told by people here that Dark Souls 1 PC is some kind of blighted no man's land, yet I get hits practically anytime and anywhere I decide to use my co-op orb.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

Part of the problem (IIRC) with the PC Dark Souls 1 version is that a lot of people don't have the right Xbox ports open, since when you connect an actual Xbox it opens them, but it still wants them for GFWL.

There's also the extra issue that, if you have an XBox, it still wants the same ports, and two devices can't have the same ports open for them with port forwarding. So you have to mess with the registry.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Got a PS3 or PS4 pad? Those will work fine as well.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Isn't some of their stuff the only way to get it too?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VanillaGorilla posted:

Do we know if they're using some kind of hack protection this time around? I opted for the PC version this time since the port is apparently quality, but I'm a little worried about having my jolly good cooperation hosed up by hackers/cheaters, which seems to be the chink in the PC version's armor.

There is no known protection. However, Namco Bandai claims they're going to server ban people for it this time in response to the PS3 megamule.

Except it seems that nobody has been banned for megamuling yet despite that threat, so it is questionable if they intend to do anything. Unless they're doing it in huge waves.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

In my opinion, the only way to play a Souls (or King's Field) for the first time is pure melee as much as possible. Especially if you skimp on the HP.

Gives you a very early appreciation for how to dodge various attacks.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, has anyone found the save file?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HenryEx posted:

What the hell is this?

The preorder DLC.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hahaha, there are going to be a lot of bans very quick if it turns out this game is using VAC. There's already been about 100 downloads of the current anemic public table.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Artificer posted:

Can you family share DS2 with another Steam account if your main has been VAC banned and still play multiplayer with it? A friend of mine is freaking out.

It's an oversight of some form that Namco Bandai are looking into. Dark Souls 2 itself has no VAC protection, because it doesn't load VAC modules necessary for it. There does not appear to be any cheat protection. What seems to be going on is that when you log in, the DKS2 server checks to see if you've been VAC banned, and refuses to log you in if it sees one. Keep in mind that this can change at any time with a patch, so this could be an omen of future VAC being patched in.

Also yes, you can use family sharing. I would just wait until the issue is sorted, however.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

For those of you using x360ce unsuccessfully to make your pads work...

Open x360ce.gdb (provided you placed it under %ProgramData%), and add this:

[DarkSoulsII.exe]
Name = Dark Souls II
HookMask = 0x00000002

That or edit your x360ce.ini to have Hookmask 0x00000002.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You can't even use Knight in the name because of, well, "nig" being in it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have to say, the online in this version is stellar. I get summoned as a shade within seconds.

Hopefully it stays like that for a while.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought completing a task as a shade restored the duirability of your equipped weapon? My halberd is still broken.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

It's either you meet a time limit or obtain a certain amount of souls, whichever comes first for the small stone, kill the boss for the large one.

This part confuses me, actually.

Won't that make shades useless in NG+ with its elevated soul counts?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, question.

I am in Heide Tower of Flame, past the second fire and inside the tower itself. I am walking, and I come upon a hole in the wall. I move in, and the cave just suddenly ends and goes into a blinking white cave, that seems... textureless. Is it supposed to look like that?

EDIT: Never mind, quit+reload fixed it. Weird.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

He intentionally let you kill him.

By doing that, he screwed up your Soul Memory and you can now be invaded by higher level dudes. You can also summon higher level dudes, but, uh, not sure how many of those there are that are co-opping.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Umberger posted:

I don't think there's any automatic anti-cheat, but if you've been VAC banned you are unable to use the online features. Here is a guide on how to report people.

There is no anti-cheating mechanism of any kind.

The server queries your account stats and if you have a VAC-ban on record for any game, your connection is refused. That's all there is. And you can get VAC bans for things other than cheating, it's not exactly a perfect system.

Finally, reporting in the way you mentioned does nothing. Those reports are to Valve, who have nothing to do with the banning portion of this game; that's all on From.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Umberger posted:

Oh. Well then.

Well FROM at least has the capability to restrict people from accessing online play in some capacity right? :frogbon:

They'll probably go after the most obvious cheaters.

In other words, people who have crazy stats on leaderboards. That's what they did on console (supposedly).

So at least we might see what a clean Book of the Guilty might have looked. Maaaaybe. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Maxmaps posted:

Am I wrong in believing that SL no longer matters for summoning and invasions and it's all about SM now?

You are correct.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Supposedly a new Bone of Order will spawn at the altar in Things Betwixt if you wait there for multiple hours with no bone in your inventory.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Schwack posted:

I, um, want to punch the people responsible for jumping in this game in their genitals until they fall off.

Is there any way to make this even remotely responsive? Hearing the stick click down whilst dashing and having my character do nothing has been great!

Have you been using x360ce?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have to say, the slightly new backstab mechanics are throwing me off in PVP. It's significantly harder to land one for me.

Though it might have something to do with the fact that I am at 69.9% equip load. Does that affect run speed?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't think Bellbroing gives you sin, only red orb invasions do? Is that right?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know what the worst part about this game is, bar none?

That you cannot power stance bare fists. Why would you not be allowed to do that?!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Verviticus posted:

What? Name one other decent game that does this poo poo.

No, Geno is right about this one. Look at the Arkham series for one of the biggest offenders.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Verviticus posted:

Oh, ok. I guess I never got around to the batman games. I assume they at least had a passable UI for learning the commands in key bindings or whatever

You weren't allowed to rebind keys I don't think, though if I recall you had some presets.

So yeah. Nowadays it's 360 pad or bust without x360ce/DS3 XInput Tool.

---

I guess I have to get the Seal myself to confirm about pwoerstancing fists.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So whats the situation with hackers? Ran into my first one today, infinite HP black phantom interrupting funtimes at the Belltower. Can I expect steam to crack down somehow, or is this GFWL all over again? Edit: I reported him, for what its worth. Just wondering if the steam report is the right channel.

It's probably just as wide open as it was in Dark Souls, from my cursory glance.

There's no VAC or anti-cheat of any kind implemented; all they've done was implement a bad server-side check for a VAC ban on your account for any game, and then denying the connection if they see one. Which risks pissing Valve off, as they never intended a VAC ban on one engine to haunt you in another.

Finally, reporting on Steam does nothing. That goes to Valve, who are not involved with bans on this game.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 28, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh wow, they actually enabled VAC. I'm shocked.

Shame that now I have to wonder if I'll get hit for x360ce.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cardboard Box posted:

I've been playing all day with GeDoSaTo and am still online just fine so I wouldn't worry about it

VAC does delayed bans. You won't know until a couple weeks.

It shouldn't do anything, but you never know with Valve.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats the deal with VAC now? The steam store page claims the game is VAC protected. Basically everyone who uses ds2fix (which uses a hook injection) could get banned if it's true!

Supposedly it's safe, since it's not overwriting a unique DLL called by the game. Supposedly x360ce is safe too for the same reason.

The problem is the "supposedly". Since I was gifted the game by a generous benefactor I just said "screw it" and am playing anyway.

From are basically idiots, though. I'd like to see how VAC stops offline (as in, kill your internet before doing) save editing, which is the biggest problem. Remember that in DS1 you could get infinite HP by setting the max to -1, if I recall correctly. I wonder if that works now?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

IchGestalt posted:

I've opened a support ticket with Steam support to see if they have anything on this - I'd rather be 100% than risk it. Will post their answer here.

The x360ce part was stated by a Steam moderator at one point, for whatever that is worth.

Valve is infamously tight-lipped about what will trigger VAC, so chances are you will not get an answer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dezztroy posted:

Durante himself has said he doesn't know if Gedosato is safe to use. I wouldn't use it yet, unless you don't care about possibly being banned I suppose.

Oh no, I'm only using x360ce. It's generally considered safe.

DkS2 looks amazing plain to me, I wouldn't risk Gedosato.

I would point out that people have been VACced over HL1 bloom mods.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

As an aside, it turns out the profanity filter is client-side.

It's just not a good idea to edit it because of VAC.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Propaganda Hour posted:

That might explain why I sunbrod a guy named "Douchebag" with no filters on his name

No no, as in it reads a file on your computer to apply the filter. Douchebag isn't filtered.

Basically, everything is censored on the receiver's end.

I haven't seen this level of bad decision-making since Hellgate: London.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 30, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dezztroy posted:

I doubt they will though, seeing as they're a Japanese company and probably don't even know how VAC works.

Probably isn't strong enough of a word there considering that dudes with other-engine VAC bans are still out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Luisfe posted:

Anyone knows if x360ce is still safe to use? I am a bit worried.

No one knows for sure, but supposedly yes. I took the gamble and I'll let you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So I was sunbroing at The Rotten.

We kill him, takes a bit. Then the host gets the bright idea to do Warcry in the lava, killing himself.