Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh wow. I stated a new character and I literally just realized that I entirely forgot about that ring, mostly 'cause I don't need it much.
I have no idea why it's the #1 tip in the OP, unless it's a meta joke on Dark Souls advice occasionally being aimed at killing other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm sure it's helpful to literal newcomers who don't know the series at all and will thus die all the time, but frankly I'd say that "You can wear four rings!" is probably more valuable advice given that I was in the Giant Memories before I realized you can actually, y'know, wear four rings and not just two a la DS1. Needless to say, even on the first playthrough, the ring didn't get a lot of use.

Better advice would be to drop a small summon sign.

And I had a very similar problem with rings; was half a dozen zones in before someone told me I could wear 4.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"2 rings only" is a pretty standard gaming thing, including in previous Souls games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

laplace posted:

Even if it was the staple of the series, Two Weapon slots were a staple of the series before -- what did you think that third weapon slot was this time?

That's just like a new level of oblivious.

You can't use all three weapons at once though.. I glanced at it, assumed it was for some kind of gear switching thing (like the other alternate slots), and didn't think much more of it since at the time I didn't have any rings.

I mean, I felt stupid when someone told me, but it's clearly something that has happened to other people as well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mundane build is rushing every stat to exactly 20. This also means you can use a bunch of the earlier hexes since Dark damage scales with the lowest of INT and FTH.

Also 20 faith and int is what you need to get one of the best catalyst / hex staves in the game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'd say the Sunset Staff is what you should probably be going for if you want to hex stuff, and that requires 22 INT.

Oh yeah, oops. I think he gives it to you at 20, but you can only use it at 22?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Soul Vortex is so loving unreliable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where did this happen?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Necc0 posted:

Down the pit from Majula where all the rats where. I was about halfway through the level when I was summoned. I never put down any signs or anything.

It happened right after I activated a pharos lock

The Ratbros sent their regards.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This wiki also gives the Chloranthy rings as 12.5/20/25.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playing like Gandalf: sword in one hand, staff in the other, and falling off things a lot.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

First time I went into Old Iron King, he punted me straight into the lava. I learned my lesson and decided to take up a safer position near the fog, and that never happened again. But just like me, I guess a lot of people end their first encounter face down in the lava.
Yeah he's not a hard fight per se, but you can do some basic, stupid things and die instantly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The distance between the two bonfires to Freja is basically identical. I'm not even sure why that second bonfire exists. It makes getting to Ornifex slightly easier I guess, but then why not just put Ornifex next to the bonfire.

I think at one point they just smashed bonfires in without really thinking about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

I keep trying to stick with it but the whole "catalysts in the left hand" playstyle feels completely awful and I don't know how anybody can stand it. I like having one hand be the dedicated attack button and the other is typically my shield, or bow for sniping. Sadly it makes weapon buffs impossible, but the main one I use is the Moonlight Greatsword anyway and it's not like I can buff that so :v:

Play like Gandalf: staff in one hand, sword in the other, fall off bridges all the time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, the tridents seem to be a fairly common reward from the Smooth and Silky stones; I think I've got 5 tridents so far, and I haven't even finished NG.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A few of the high end sorceries actually hit hard.

The advantages of sorcery are basically the high number of casts and the speed / homing nature, and none of those are highly desired in PvE.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I've just respecced to 50/50/50 int/faith/attunement. I'm going to get the dragon chime for miracles and I've got the archdrake staff for sorceries until I get staff of wisdom, but what is a good chime to use for hexes?

Idol's Chime is probably the easiest to get. Caitha's Chime is available a bit later, then the Chime of Want (maybe - edit).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I like that you can only use the torch in the left hand, and you can only backstab with the right, just to make juggling weapons and slots more difficult.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Soul shower is pretty worthless. Soul spear barrage didn't seem all that powerful to me, but I only used it at low levels. Soul vortex isn't bad but it seems to get caught on things really easily.

The Z axis is no friend to Soul Vortex either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

1-shot Smelter Demon going in blind, yet I died 8 times to the Pursuer afterwards, and twice that to RRA. I have no idea what this says about me.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I quite like those two zones, so hey, subjectivity, you know? No-Man's Wharf is pretty different from the previous two games and Earthen Peak is just kind of neat.

Earthen Peak would have looked ugly in a game 10 years ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Iron Keep was a pain for me because I didn't know there would be a bonfire after Smelter Demon, so I was like gently caress this I'm sick of "big guy who swings a weapon around that you have to invincibility-frame-roll past" bosses and skipped him. Which meant going through the entire area with no bonfires until the end. That area pretty much taught me that poison is the best thing ever on big enemies and you should use it anytime you can.
I'm pretty sure you missed a bonfire, since even if you skip the Smelter Demon there's one about 3 enemies further in.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I already got the Abyss Seal ring from the Pilgrims of the Dark, though it doesn't seem worth it to go through a bunch of trouble to get the Climax spell.
You also get one of the best Chimes in the game. Plus it's more bosses and stuff to kill.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

And magical "no I can't be arsed letting you level up here and now" powers too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I'd rather they did it with something other than a massively boring boss fight.

It's completely optional at least, although the game really does lead you to the idea of killing him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah but it falls flat since immediately after you discover he is essentially and inexplicably immortal and kills you in one swipe of his sword and the only way to beat him is to observe his left asscheek in extreme detail for a massive bossfight.

Sure the initial impact was great, the fight itself lacked zazz

Is there a reason given for why the giant souls weaken him?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Well hang on.

I hate to compare to dark souls again but this game is lacking on that front too, the smelter demon, the persuer, velstadt and the ruin sentinals are literally all just 'big reach weapon guy who attack with long reach and wide angle yet easily avoidable attacks'
Pursuer doesn't really have much reach at all, he's just fast.

The Ruin Sentinels are only really challenging when you fight them because there are several of them; but that aspect changes things considerably.

Motherfucker posted:

I mean the first time I fought pursuer I was like 'god drat!' but when I got to the smelter demon I was like 'hey its this guy again'
I don't think they felt remotely similar, especially because I died more times to the Pursuer immediately after Smelter Demon than I did to Smelter Demon himself. The difference in speed between the bosses is pretty noticeable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

True I guess if you jump down that very specific hidden ledge in black gulch and kill those two huge and extremely difficult enemies who seem almost geared for someone of higher level than you would be if you happened to stumble on them.
There are three separate reasons to go jumping down those ledges, and looking over ledges for important / secret stuff below is pretty much a staple of the series and happens in almost every level.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone specifically went and counted up all the bosses in both these games and guess what; the ratio of giant armoured humanoids to other stuff is almost exactly the same. You're wrong.
I think it's partly because there's a bunch of them at the start of the game. Pursuer, Dragonrider, Dragonslayer and Ruin Sentinels are "big guys in armour", meaning that 4/6 of the first bosses you face could fit that type.

Compare to Dark Souls where you've got the Gargoyles, the Hydra and the Butterfly early on, even ignoring the variety in the demons.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

I completely forgot about old dragonslayer and dragonrider as well.

And like the Taurus Demon, those two are meant as basic bosses to get people started.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Dragon Aerie is absolutely beautiful. The lighting alone is brilliant. It makes me wish that the darker places in the game were less "zero physical light sources with ambient light turned up just enough to see around" and more "zero/minimal ambient light with tons of dim light sources around for ambiance."

The game looks amazingly better when you're using a torch instead of the natural stuff, even when it's not strictly necessary.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It still feels too long; I get that it's meant to represent his power, but the fact he 1-shots me with ease does a decent job of showing that too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I still don't quite get why the Soldier's Rest are exists. I like optional areas a lot, but it feels like it was meant to lead to something more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

If Vendrick is 1 shotting you you should stick some points into Vigor or Vitality, whichever boosts health. I could only take 1 shot before needing an estus but it was still enough to survive, with around 20 vigor and a third dragon ring. Admittedly this was so late into the game that I'd boosted it because I'd run out of other useful stats really but it was only around 20 during the fight which doesn't seem to excessively if you're a melee character

I was a caster, and it was the only fight where I was that hilariously fragile so it seemed silly to respec.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Earthen Peak, am I the only one really disappointed in what it turned out to be? I managed to keep relatively un-spoilered until PC release, so I had only heard the name "Earthen Peak" without actually seeing it. It sounded like a badass mountain to me, not some boring windmill :(

It's possibly my least favourite zone in the game because it's so visually boring. The Black Gutter is more tedious to playthrough, and the Shrine of Amana has its own unique charm but at least both of those zones look cool.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I was a caster, but I'd levelled up so much by that point I'd pumped a fair amount into boosting my health. I got my stamina up to where I could cast lightning 4 times then went all in on health

I think I had Int and Faith both > 50, which didn't leave that many points to spare once I'd put enough into Attunement stamina.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So after you get to Dragon Aerie and see the gigantic dragon at the back of the castle and speak with it, are you supposed to fight it or what? I'm kinda unsure about what to do next.

The safest approach is to leave and go back to the Forest of the Giants and do stuff there.

The harder and completely optional approach is to kill it, which does get you another Giant Soul. It's a hard fight though.

Jose posted:

I had faith at 50 and int at 51. Why were yours so high? I had enough spices to attune every spell I wanted after also using the ring of knowledge for +5 int to attune soul geyser twice. Not that I used it on vendrick since it cast way too slow
I wasn't using that ring, and probably had less spice than you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uldum in WoW is pretty too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

it's in general just artistically less interesting. outside of like the first time you enter Majula and Dragon Aerie, no part of the game really wowed me, and a lot of the weapons and armor lean towards plain-looking.

I thought the Shrine of Amana and Heide's Tower of Flame both looked as good as anything in the series has. And the leadup to the Looking Glass Knight is fantastic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

How does he get around in that wheelchair anyway? I don't see any handicap accessible ramps in Drangleic.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the answer involves the word dark.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I think the dialog in general is a bit weak, and he's just one of the more obvious ones.

It doesn't even really feel like dialog in a strict sense; it's more like where a TV presenter is trying to fake being able to see the audience. "Hello, I didn't see you come in. Let me tell you about the Dark...". Your voiceless character is just wandering around hoping that the crazy rambling people talk about something you're interested in when you're walking by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Herald and the two hex people are pretty weak but the rest of the NPC dialog is usually fine. Benhart could stand to gently caress off about his sword though.

It's just a function of having a player character without no lines or dialog options. It's a valid design choice that leads to a slightly unnatural outcome.

The Herald having dialog before the level up options was just an outright bad idea though.