Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm not particularly upset about the graphics changes. And while I can understand why others might be upset about it, I don't think it's really necessary.

It's just the way the game industry is. You should consider literally every bit of pre-release news/images/video to be a lie/fabrication. Never preorder, wait for the game to come out, and get some first hand impressions, then decide if you want to buy. Developers, publishers, gaming press, it's all falsehoods and marketing and should never be listened too. DS1 is one of my favorite games ever, as such DS2 is an easy sell for me. But like hell am I going to preorder it.

Hell, I didn't even watch the original video until this thread, because I expect all early videos to be lies. So no false expectations here.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sivek posted:

25% off voucher at GMG that's applicable to Dark Souls II.

It only last a day, so get on it.

GMG025-EASTER-024HRS

Combine it with those sweet playfire funbux for some cheap Dark Souls II.

This was posted in the DS1 PC thread. Thought I'd post it to get more people to see it. I was able to place an order just fine. $37.50 all told.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Best... whip? :psyduck: Are they actually useful now?

I've heard they are viable enough to play through the game. Which means my first character is going to be a Belmont.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 21, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

BlueDestiny posted:

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2? Will Indiana Jones-ing it up work now? Also are there more new types of weapons beyond sword/bigsword/hammer/polearm?

I've heard dual-caestus punching build is fairly decent, while on the other hand I've also heard claws are not very good at all.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm wondering if I should bother doing my Belmont gimmick as my first character. I just feel for the first time through the game that I might be gaming the system too much by restarting over and over until I get an old whip.

Maybe I should just start as a cleric.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
It's times like this that make me wish I wasn't at work.

It's also times like this that make me happy that I can remote to my computer and start the unpacking before I get home.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Yes! Game has successfully launched.

....I'm still at work..damnit

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sex Robot posted:

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

You could just wait until it gets reduced in price. Hell a lot of us already got it from GMG and that was 25% off right from the get go.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress they removed Pyromancers?????

What class am I supposed to pick now?!? :negative:

EDIT: Now I'm gonna be stuck on character creation for an hour because I have no clue what class to play.

Pyromancy is now rolled into Sorcery, so go Sorcerer (don't actually do this)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Genocyber posted:

This is not true, pyromancy is entirely separate from Sorcery. It's basically the exact same as it was in dks with the addition that it now scales with the average of your Int and Fth (and even without investment it's still very strong).

Oh, okay then, ignore me if you haven't already.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Grilox posted:

Nevermind, figured it out. Everyone with a vac ban in any game on steam can't play Dark Souls 2 online apparently.

That sucks, but in some ways is actually pretty awesome.

Konjuro posted:

WTF? My account was hijacked years ago and whoever stole it got me VAC banned on CS1.6.

This would be the sucks aspect. Sorry about that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rexicon1 posted:

No it's actually really lovely and Draconian.

I find it amusing. I've often wished people who are really obnoxious online cheaters lost access to other games, and this is a small extension of that. However, I realize the VAC system is not amazing, so this having an effect on DS2 is a bad idea.

I still find it amusing though.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Grilox posted:

Hey there MW2-flagged buddy! This is pretty insane and I hope they eventually fix it.

Ya, I apologize for taking amusement from this issue. It's a really bad idea, since VAC certainly isn't a perfect system.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
The graphic improvement from this game over DS1 is pretty noticable. We'll see if it holds up.

Now if those crows would just give me an Old Whip, Richter B. can get his adventure started.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

Where is this tutorial area y'all are talking about?

I feel like i'm missing something, there should be messages explaining how poo poo works a la DS1, right? I only found the one tombstone near the first bonfire that was obviously a tutorial hint.

When you were walking on the path to Majula, did you see all those mist doors. Entering those is the tutorial area. First one on left has the basic message signs with how to attack and all that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

What was up with that reptile thing at the end? I didn't see a way to it.

Not sure, I'm still deleting/remaking my character and trading with the crows.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Okay, I give up. You've bested me trading crows. I just want to play the game now, I'll make a gimmick character later.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Alright, good stopping point for tonight. Got down Last Giant and Pursuer. Last Giant felt very Taurus Demon in difficulty. If only frustrating because I had to widdle him down with a dagger. Pursuer on the other hand was a good step up. I was getting my poo poo wrecked because I'm over reliant on those DS1 invincibility frames in the dodge-roll. Finally got him though, had to switch to using a mace.

Now, I've got enough stats to power-stance Caestus, and I'm really liking the quick double jab. So, how close am I to finding a white soapstone of any kind? I'd like to co-op Pursuer for more practice with my new fist weapons.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

There's a dude who is chickening out in front of a gate right after the crossbow ambush room (you know the one) and he'll give you a soapstone after you escape. There's also this smaller soapstone that I have no idea how it works that I got afterwards from somewhere.

Oh that dude! I must not have talked to him enough. Arg, that's a dumb mistake. Thanks.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Thanks for telling me where the Co-op item is. Went back and tried it out on Last Giant for 15 minutes. Wow, that's some fast summoning right now. And not a bad payout for how quick it was.

Also, I love that we have more time now after killing the boss to stand around and use animations. Fun stuff.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Walk up, hit them, roll away. Repeat. You have enough time to hit them twice and roll away if you're feeling cheeky but the timing is a lot tighter.

I found it's actually even easier, to roll to the side right as he starts the overhead swing. Puts you in range for an easy two hits. That is as long as you aren't near those firebomb jerks.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh! You can use Estus as a white phantom now. That's pretty cool.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Another good day. Got through Heides, said hello to my old pal, beat up a fat man, then got to Flexible Sentry. Also did a bunch of Co-op, leveled faith to play around a bit with some miracles, then respecced back to Pugilist focused.

Yep, great time, I'm really liking this game.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

Co-op with the small or normal sized White soapstone, or use (not burn) effigies.

I've really been appreciating the human restore on successful co-op. Was that ever confirmed as intentional?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Reason posted:

What counts as a successful co-op? I followed a dude around for a while who summoned me, but instead of going into the boss I was summoned by he turned around and ran backwards killing stuff then after about half an hour he went to a bonfire and kicked me out and I was still undead.

When using the large soapstone you need to kill a boss. The small soapstone has a time duration that once it runs out, you count as succeeding I believe.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

WIth Small it's how many dudes you kill, if the timer runs out you still get it - you can notice the timer running out when your shade color starts to fade.

Ahh. interesting, thank you.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

That or this axe is poo poo and I need a proper sword.

If your at the second bonefire, did you find the flame longsword? It's in an area with a lot of fire on the ground. Need to watch out for an ambush of hollows, and a fire spiting thing, but it's on a door on the left.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 26, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

I've only got one of the four PRIMAL SOULS you have to get, yet I'm level 78 and that doesn't count however many souls I've just lost because I don't care. I can always get more with the soapstones.

Agreed, co-op is very rewarding in this game. Plus the bonus of not needing to spend an effigy to restore humanity. Really easy to keep yourself at 99 lifegems with all the souls you get as well.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Okay, Lost Sinner is hard to fight in the dark. I think I'm missing something, what with the cutscene, and those two locked doors. I also heard a bell ring while exploring around that area.

So, I'm guessing I missed the Belfry?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
In No-Man's Wharf, once you get off the beach up at the first stair crossroad, if you go right you can find a Pharros Lockstone contraption that turns on a rather large hanging fire.

It was very helpful for me anyway. Still helps to have torch time available.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Where do I go after Lost Sinner?

If you head back towards on the path to Things Betwixt from Majula. You can see another path to take instead, that is eventually blocked by a statue. You can now un-petrify this statue. I'm sure their are others paths of course, just the one I'm on.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So. I'm in Shaded woods now. I'm at the woman scorpion caster, and I know I've missed something. Someone summoned me and went into the boss and was able to have the male scorpion as an assist. Where do I even begin to find that?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh, that reminds me. I was summoned in for Ruin Sentinels, and the other summon was a sunbro with glowing red eyes. The sentinels stayed glued to him the whole fight, which makes the encounter pretty easy when he's armored to the teeth.

I assume that's a ring? (no need to tell me where it is)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm sure this will fade as I get further into the game, but I really appreciate how useful throwing weapons are in this game. Throwing knives and holy water do decent damage for how cheap they are. Useful for a Caestus user.

Edit: I'm regretting not buying more poison throwing knives before I moved Gavlan.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 27, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So, upon reflection I might have done something foolish. I hear talk of smith in Lost Bastille, and well. I think I met that guy, seemed to be acting pretty crazy. So I killed him.
What have I messed up for myself?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Sydin posted:

One of the better blacksmiths in the game, and access to infinite large titnite shards.

:v:

Cool. Was starting to get a bit bored of the dual Caestus guy anyway. It's really fun, and effective, but I want to play around with some weapons.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neetengie posted:

But if someone is not able to be targeted, why kill them?
Next life you meet him light the sconce so he moves his fat rear end off the chest.

Eh, it wouldn't be me and a souls game where I didn't kill an important NPC foolishly. I honestly was considering starting over anyway, since I really want to try other things.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DrNutt posted:

So wtf, I thought if you killed a Belfry invader you got a grace period? I killed my first dude in a badass melee duel and was invaded like 4 seconds later by some dicklord that spammed soul arrow at me.

If their is a grace period, it's hard to tell. You can have up to two people invading you at once, so maybe someone was already being summoned in as you killed the first guy.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I really like Dark Fog in this game. Actually very useful and painful. An unprepared invader can quickly find themselves in a bad situation. Mind you if they are prepared it's not so impressive.

Always carry poison cures if your going to throw down the red soapstone folks.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Spincut posted:

I'm so in love with this game (even more than DS1? Possibly?). I'm trying to do things blind and I have a weird janky build that's part hexer, part sorcerer, part Macedude...? Whatever, I'm a guy wearing a skirt, wielding a mace, and occasionally throwing soul arrows at people, I'm having fun. :v:

Hey mace, hexer buddy. I'm also using dual maces as my weapon of choice. Swap out for chime/staff depending on what the situation calls for. Been really effective and powerful so far, though I think you are further along than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Restarting your char is never the right answer in :darksouls:

I killed Mcduff on my first guy. I think I made the right choice, since I'd like to actually see that aspect of the game.