Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

dsriggs posted:

I know, it's an easy target, but:

https://twitter.com/FrankWWEClown/status/955672324216410112

It'll be better next time, guys! The WWE will deliver!

Didn't this moron most likely get free tickets anyway?

This is why WWE will never die; people who are willing to spend way too much money time and time again, despite the WWE constantly showing that they WILL disappoint you 99% of the time. I'll still watch SD on occasion but I'm not paying for a live show anytime soon, and I sure as hell wouldn't drop that kind of money on any WWE event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

The Fiend is just "Hey I watched It Chapter One and really liked that part where Pennywise is on the TV, maybe I can do that?"

Followed by HHH calling up Tom Savini and asking him to have some students make a creepy mask instead of the usual skull mask for HHH's Mania entrance.

It's definitely better than most of the crap in WWE but it's not high art and it doesn't have any deep meaning. The Fiend is just another monster heel, he's just SpOoKy.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Booker T was my favorite wrestler growing up (I quit watching wrestling completely for a few years when HHH beat him at Mania) and it honestly breaks my heart to see some of his current takes on things.

Does he honestly think CM Punk should have started talking about Chicago landmarks for a cheap pop? Or is he just saying that because he wants to get in the good graces of WWE Management? Either way, this sucks.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Mark Madden was at Dynamite in Pittsburgh (I didn't see him at Rampage but he may have been there) and got booed heavily at one point when he stood up and waved. This was totally unprompted, too, they didn't announce him or anything like that.

He's probably still just salty about that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

https://twitter.com/DT_NerdyGeek/status/1460305136673333255
a lot of attention has gone to the effects that Doing professional wrestling has on the brain

maybe not enough to the effects that Watching professional wrestling has on the brain

So Adam Page beat Kenny Omega just to lose to Bryan so that Kenny could beat Bryan and regain the belt? Because Kenny refuses to lose to Bryan?

Somebody do a study on how many conspiracy theorists are also extremely online wrestling fans, I feel like this dude also thinks black helicopters are spraying chemicals on his house.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The heel should go on a journey of self-reflection after the face steals a victory away from him isn't a bad idea in a vacuum, but lol at the idea of a guy "taunting" too much after 45 minutes of wrestling. Like you're just spamming the taunt button in a video game to build up your finisher again.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This rules because it combines "Tony Khan is secretly behind everything in the wrestling world" and "That person that left WWE? They've actually been bad forever and not a big star." AND they're talking about Jeff Hardy not being a big star.

If Roman walked out of WWE right now they'd say he was never really a big deal.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

They should have just given him the lederhosen and yodeling gimmick and avoided all of this.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I mentioned this last time Mark Madden was getting posted, but he was at the Dynamite in Pittsburgh this summer and stood up at one point and waved at people. It wasn't like he got introduced or anything, there was just a commercial break where nothing was happening and he felt the need to do this. A few people booed him but most people didn't even recognize him. My wife asked who the "weird guy trying to get applause" was. Meanwhile, some little kid had a sign saying it was their birthday and we all sang to them and cheered and clapped after Justin Roberts pointed it out.

I 100% think this specific event soured him on AEW and it's really funny how thin-skinned he is.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

As we all know, the only highlight of Dynamite is "who's gonna show up this week?!?". The wrestling is inconsequential at this point, instead AEW has become an episode of the Love Boat, teasing surprising new celebrity appearances each week.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The worst part of this is how carefully he's sure to hit all the WWE buzzwords.

"WWE Universe"

"30 woman over the top rope match"

Shocked he didn't get in a "Who will Ronda challenge with her championship opportunity at the next Premium Live Event?"

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Is Doug implying this is an actual storyline or is he proposing a storyline to take advantage of the situation?

If it's the first one - that's funny. If it's the second one - it's sad that the best storyline he can imagine is just basically the Invasion again.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Drakkel posted:

If Cody and Brandi do show up in WWE will we see the incredibly rare "Always Good" from the WWE crowd?

It's already beginning and nobody even knows what the hell is going on.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAllianceBlog/status/1494011133757251585?t=iuZInA4PAVhU9RLKL3XxlA&s=19

"What if Cody showed up with a bunch of geeks Vince is never signing anyway"

Brian Freaking Cage vs Seth Freaking Rollins at Summerslam for custody of the word "Freaking".

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The better the AEW show, the more insane the twitter takes become.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This is why WWE made like a billion dollars, so many people are dumb as hell and assume everyone else is dumb as hell, too.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Venomous posted:

ftfy

I am incredibly worried for Nyla if the TERFs get into wrestling

When AEW was in Pittsburgh last time, some shithead started saying transphobic garbage when Nyla came out. Enough of us around him told him to shut up that he did, and like 10 minutes later some security guard or something (he had a polo shirt of the arena on) came by, talked to him, and the dude was pretty silent the rest of the show.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Thank God Adam Cole shoot hijacked the production van, interrupted the broadcast, and made an announcement.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i can't post enough raven gifs

This is almost heartwarming because it shows that MJF truly is the greatest modern heel, he works on so many levels.

some absolute genius" posted:

I just hate how Darby vs Jeff Hardy, which is apparently a true dream match that fans have wanted to see for a while is just done on free TV with no build. It's gotta be that Tony grew up rich and just doesn't understand the concept of selling something and generating revenue. It's common sense if you have something people want to see to build and generate as much buzz and eyes on it as possible instead of just randomly giving the thing away. I really do watch wrestling for the build and anticipation more than the actual wrestling. The absolute best part of a properly built match is the moment when the bell rings and the 2 combatants you've been waiting weeks/months to see are staring at eachother from across the ring with the crowd going wild. That's what pro wrestling is all about, not watch these idiots randomly jump off ladders and crash through chairs.

"I think Jeff and Darby both suck a lot and their match also sucked. But also this was a dream match that should have had months of build. Also I don't even like wrestling, just the build, but this was a terrible match that made no money for anyone."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

AEW refs are great and can even add stuff to matches. Like Bryce generally (maybe always?) refs Eddie Kingston's matches, and he had the amazing bit where he was begging Eddie to tap out in his world title match with Moxley rather than, presumably, die in the ring. It makes sense and is a fun addition to the match that shows AEW truly understands all of the moving pieces that make up good storytelling.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I'm glad WWE exists for people like that.

In a similar situation you'd have FTR come out and cut a promo where they explained in detail that they are done with MJF, then MJF would start beating them both up, then Punk would run out and save them. The whole time Corey Graves could screech about how much he hates FTR, just so you know they're good guys.

Then a week later you could have FTR team up with a bunch of other faces and start dancing.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

My parents are both in their mid 60s and my Mom just started watching AEW about 5 weeks ago after not watching wrestling for almost 20 years. She is the mythical "casual viewer".

She has never once asked my Dad to clarify anything, it's all explained on screen. You might miss the deep stuff, but the basics are all on TV. Sure, I know Claudio and Eddie don't get along because of Chikara. But if you don't know that, it's fine, Eddie's loving screaming his head off at the end of the show, you don't need him to grab a mic and say "I'm angry because this guy I don't like is back!"

Very curious if people who complain AEW is "too hard to understand" also get confused at movies and TV shows. Do they get angry at video games, wondering why Link is always fighting Ganondorf?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This is the first Mandela effect thing that's hit me, I could have sworn it was Gerwitz.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Evil Uno totally BURIED Stu by not publicly wishing him well. Is there heat?

https://twitter.com/stu_dos/status/1541928644091809795?s=20&t=b5ozdl0o3Z5JlrP3vXWLjA

We don't need a public statement but Evil Uno is a goddamn coward for not issuing a public statement, even though he actually did and I'm just ignoring it.

AEW is a mess!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I have seen people on twitter unironically say that AEW has too many good matches and that they'll eventually "run out" of matches. Not even in terms of what they do on free TV, as if you should save certain PPV matches like you're squirreling money for a rainy day.

This is also the most WWE-brained thing imaginable because it's admitting that you don't create new draws in wrestling, the pool of wrestlers you want to see wrestle is finite and will eventually run out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Although I can understand the importance of a cooldown match, I'm also fine if said cooldown match is still super entertaining, just not quite as quickly paced.

Forbidden Door was basically a perfect in-ring PPV and every match was good to great. It also helps that AEW puts out such a diverse in-ring product, so not every match feels the same.

I much prefer this to when I still watched WWE and half the PPVs had one good match, a bunch of okay matches, and at least one infuriatingly bad match.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

WWE's style to me will always be summed up by that video of the camera guy physically moving back and forth to create a zoom in/zoom out effect. That or the time the camera pretty much zoomed up into Lacey Evan's rear end in a top hat.

Also lol forever at ThisIsNasty getting repeatedly owned online and then doubling down with the "okay now you're paying attention to me, like I always planned!" each and every time.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Reminder that Mark Madden was on board with AEW until he attended a show in Pittsburgh and the audience booed him.

He's a petty, petty man and I don't know why local radio here still gives him an outlet.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

TV Zombie posted:

The audience booing him isn't AEW's fault.

Yes but to Mark it is.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I just spoke to my barber, who's a casual fan. He said, and I quote:

"Push Wardlow and fire the mark Tony Khan."

When I asked how he knew those names, he simply directed me to a large poster of the Young Bucks on the wall, upon which he had scrawled "THE BALDING BUCKS!"

Appeal to fans like this and AEW will easily get 80 million viewers every Wednesday, just like the Attitude Era!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jericho's AEW run should go down in history as one of the best late-career runs ever. He basically loses every big feud, he constantly gets clowned on, and even in matches he wins he generally takes a ton of offense and makes the other guy look great. Despite that he's still so over that everyone aligned with him instantly gets a rocket boost in popularity.

The entire feud with Eddie has been Jericho getting beat, being so scared of getting beat down more that he formed a group to protect him, basically running in terror from Eddie for weeks unless he had his goons around him, then getting his rear end beat by Eddie AGAIN and only saving face because another guy tapped out first. It's absolutely making Eddie an even bigger star than he already is, it's great.

I think you could argue that Santana and Ortiz have petered out a bit and not reached their full potential, but they've still been part of at least 3 all-time great matches in AEW history. And yeah, Sammy's back to being a goon, but I put all of that on his real life coloring fans' view of his on-screen character (who was a red hot babyface for a while).

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I'd cut @ThisIsNasty some slack because he's proven again and again that he just lives in the WWE bubble, but then again he claims to be a wrestling journalist so he should know this poo poo.

It's still wild to me that he gets the fast nationals leaked to him by WWE. He's an absolute nobody in the grand scheme of things, you'd think they'd at least use Ryan Satin or something to send those things out.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The funniest thing to me are these conspiracy theories that Tony Khan is floating money towards anyone who likes AEW.

The Botchamania guy? On the payroll. Wrestling with Wregret? On the payroll.

Just millions of dollars flowing towards random youtubers without a single shred of evidence. I'm curious how many of these people also think the world is run by Lizard People.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's been a while since we've had a good "Adam Cole is buried" tweet. I thought we had moved on to body shaming him, but we're back to making up poo poo about how he's being wasted.

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1550934916992344064?s=20&t=sCL94PCeJvKm8avwVMIkBQ

So wait do WWE stans love Adam Cole or think he's a tiny out of shape loser?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I'm not sure where "HHH is gonna fix everything" optimism is coming from, to be honest.

Yeah he's not Vince but he's still the dude who beat Sting at Mania and made himself a part of the Shield and the WWE version of Bullet Club, long after anyone could possibly care about his in-ring career.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I need more story in my wrestling.

No, not that story.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I don't think anyone would miss Hager, but I also can't argue that he's overused. He's just Jericho's big doofy bodyguard, he doesn't really do singles matches any more (except the Claudio one and I understand why you'd wanna do that one), and it's funny that JR still absolutely loves the guy.

I also cannot for the life of me fathom someone saying WWE needs him or would use him better.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Ganso Bomb posted:

Why do they all think there was contact tampering with Jeff Hardy when he was fired from WWE? I know they’re all idiots but I always wonder where their version of reality comes from.

Obviously WWE is just calling people up to chat with them, see how things are going, and give them an escape from the living hell that is AEW.

AEW is breaking the rules, harassing innocent people who are just trying to do their job in the WWE!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

This is one of my favorite things. Someone gets angry about something they made up in their head.

I wasn't aware of Punk losing in Cleveland in the UFC, and I straight up forgot he walked out of WWE from Cleveland. For me, I always consider Pittsburgh his walkout since that was the really terrible Rumble that led to the rear end video.

None of this is important, none of this matters, but this dude is really angry that AEW didn't tell him about it.

The cherry on top is that he's apparently fully aware of these things now but acting as if it's arcane knowledge only available to the most studious of scholars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Guillermus posted:

https://twitter.com/abskhir/status/1563592797759819776?t=CxdmAb97UR2mMWs0mBG1Ew&s=19

Tweet is awesome. Subject is people tagging the old yelling man because they can't enjoy things

The only thing more pathetic than Cornette desperately trying to cling to relevancy is people trying to leech off of that, desperate for a retweet.

"Hey Jim, did you see this thing that's very popular online and related to wrestling? Jim? Jim please retweet me. Jim, please, I really need this right now!!"