Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Ethan_Alan posted:

Don't act like taking things from lockup is uncommon. Do you just sign a form saying you went in there, or do you sign for any evidence taken out as well? I wouldn't be surprised that if someone wanted to they would have a lot of leeway in taking things.

And I know shootings are rare, I'm just curious how many goons have been involved in them.

It's a common thing on tv & movies for random employees to just stroll into evidence but that's not really possible in my experience. Our evidence room can only be accessed by 3 people, the sgt who operates the room, and his two immediate supervisors. While it's certainly possible for one of them to go in and take something, everything done in that room is recorded on security cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

USMC503 posted:

On a scale of 1-10, one being, "they were the coolest bros ever," and ten being, "I was in the process of pulling my AR out of my trunk and going to town on mother fuckers," how obnoxious were the occupy protesters where you were?

If you have any stories, please do share.

That was outside my jurisdiction but I went to check it out. Mostly just smelly homeless dudes camped out in a park :ms:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Have you ever hosed one of your fellow officers?

:lol: that's been asked in like 6 different threads since yesterday.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Warren v. District of Columbia

Holy poo poo how was I unaware of this :psyduck:

Taking it easy from here on out

Shyfted One posted:

It does.

To piggyback on that answer, how many LGBT officers are in your departments?

In a department of ~600 I don't know any openly gay males. There are 2 that I can think of off hand that even with families, it wouldn't surprise me if they came out of the closet. I know several lesbians, 5-6, probably a few more I'm not remembering right now.

E2: this is really limited to people I've worked with closely enough to really know them well, I'm sure there's more.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 19, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

Police are basically the embodiment of white privilege.

Thread title right there

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

They're just unpredictable. I've got scars on my face and scalp from a pitt bull that kept on attacking me after being shot. That dog was sprayed with no effect and finally did run off after a taser was used. I have however seen spray work really well on other dogs, and some "aggressive" dogs calm completely down if you (the stranger in their yard) just offer them a treat. I seriously used to keep a bag of dog treats in my car when I worked on patrol, that poo poo did wonders for me.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

tentative8e8op posted:

How often do any of you give leniency due to your professional courtesy? Have you ever refused to officially cite/arrest an officer who claimed they shouldn't get in trouble due to it?(or, have any of you personally ever arrested any officer?) Have any of you had a nice pleasant conversation where a non-police member would have gotten in deep trouble?

Ive known 2 officers, in Richmond and Honolulu, who mentioned being able to drive short distances after drinking without any worry of arrest; I'm curious how your departments/counties handle professional courtesy and messy situations which can arise from it.

e: im super sorry if my questions sound loaded or confrontational. Id never dig down and ask police my honest questions in person so im happy you all are here online, thanks :)

That's some BS right there, but sadly not that surprising :(

I arrested a cop from a neighboring jurisdiction years ago for writing a bunch (like $10,000 worth) of bad checks. Several businesses had called to complain about this woman and it actually went to warrant from our DA's office because she started skipping court dates. I let a minor traffic offense slip by but I'd do the same for fire, military, medical professionals, teachers & really anyone who's polite or has an interesting excuse.

I told a guy once that he'd get a warning if he could give me an excuse I hadn't heard before. He paused for a minute & said "officer I'm running late. I was supposed to meet your mom at a motel 20 minutes ago." It was shocking and hilarious.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Of course, because All Cops Are Bastards, no matter wherever they are. :downs:

I have the power to deputize you in an emergency, and then it is you who are the bastard :aaa: yes there are britcop goons ask your question

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

move along citizen

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I hate you and I hate your puns, as well.

A probation??? I'm sure his aim wasn't to draw your fire like that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

He's a loose cannon.

On subject, what is your normal day like? I read earlier you pick up and drop off your guns at lock-up, do you leave your cars at the station or take them home? Do you ever run the sirens so that you can pick up coffee faster, or is that a bigger deal then a lot of people think it is?

Not sure about that, I work in the south and personally own most of the firearms that I carry at work. As far as "typical" days, there really aren't any. I work investigations and am on call pretty much all the time for major incidents, which means I have a take home car and haven't turned my phone on vibrate in years. I'm on call tonight, till 6am. Maybe I'll sleep, maybe I won't :iiam:

Some days I get to the office and can catch up on paperwork, some days I don't make it to the office at all because I'm going from scene to scene. It's part of the appeal for me really, keeps things interesting.

I haven't ever used the siren to beat the lunch rush, but I won't claim that it never happens :ssh:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

our cameras and recorders come on every time you turn on the lights so that is a no no

That too, I don't have a camera I'm my truck but all of patrol does and recording with the lights seems like the standard.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

What's the best song to listen to when you're driving in a Patrol Car that ISN'T the theme song to COPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwqMKf7r7Xg

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

you kids and your raps :bahgawd:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Personally I would hate to carry a firearm and in the incredibly unlikely event I was asked to carry one I would resign which is an attitude shared by a lot of the officers I serve with (regulars and specials.)

Are you saying that you'd resign if your department moved to full time armed enforcement, or that you'd resign if you had to respond to an incident which might require deadly force? Not faulting you either way, just curious.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Has a cop goon ever acted on information he got from the forums? (Like bust a tcc poster trying to push drugs across state lines.)

:ssh:

I seriously doubt it

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Barent posted:

Why do you keep probating people for posting jokes? (This is a question)

Also post this thread in A/T it would be more interesting there.

We tried that a while ago and the mods there shut it down pretty quickly.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I got called for a squirrel stuck in this ladies chimney once. I told her to just wait it out, keep the flue closed and it would either escape out the top, or not. She was horrified by that thought and assumed I'd catch it somehow :iia:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Yea, my dept doesn't issue weapons either, I had to buy my own pistol.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Tentacle Party posted:

Do they give you guidelines? Like it must be .40 and 10 rounds? Or can you go out and buy a single action army in drop holster.

9, 40, 45 & 38 ammo is supplied by the department, if you want some crazy moon rounds like 357 sig, or 45 gap have at it, but you're bringing your own bullets. You can carry pretty much whatever as long as it's on the approved manufacturer list, which is extensive. It would be easier to list the manufacturers they don't allow (kel tec, hi-point, etc)

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Neo Duckberg posted:

Cool, my Deagle arrives tomorrow.

Good luck finding a level 3 retention holster :wotwot:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

A retired Ottawa cop did just that! He's a great public speaker and we were lucky to hear what he had to say while we were still kids in community college (which was a prerequisite for aspiring cops back then) and years away from our own critical incidents. I don't remember a lot of my formal training but I remember that speech.

that sounds like an interesting read but GODDAMN if that isn't one goofy looking motherfucker :eyepop:

edit: also, keep in mind that (in louisiana at least) the harsher penalties on murdering a cop isn't just for cops.. it extends to firemen, lab techs, civilian police employees, children/the elderly, any person who holds a legal restraining order against the suspect, states witnesses (and the family members of states witnesses), taxicab drivers, and a whole host of various federal employees.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2014

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Hezzy posted:

I vaguely remember that, IIRC the cops got to her house and nobody heard from her again.

They probably mistook her tv remote for a gun :holymoley:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Christmas Miracle posted:

so, can any cops tell me if there have been big changes in police pursuit policy over the last ten years that result in less bystander fatalities?

Well most departments just don't pursue anymore. Unless you're a known wanted felon, or fleeing an armed robbery or something chances are we'll just note the license plate, send a unit to your house and find out who's driving the vehicle. You run from the cops for a traffic violation or something similar you'll end up with a warrant out for your arrest but we won't chase you down.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

That's very interesting to hear. I'm taking it that California isn't one of those states considering we see videos of police chases in LA often enough.

:shrug: not sure. There's aren't any LAPD goons afaik. I'm sure those videos show pursuits where the suspect was deemed dangerous enough to be worth chasing, whatever they're actual policy is.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

Eagerly awaiting meowlins serious response to this :shobon:

Meowlins response to everything itt should be the ban hammer. Just, like, own it ya know?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

drive by slowly with the window down pretending to do something so the person who called in and is inevitably watching from their window doesn't call back in to complain about my lazy rear end.

Yup

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

But until we ask them and find this out, it's safe to assume the worst case scenario with cops.

:allears: that's a great attitude.

Why are city speeding tickets more expensive than county speeding tickets? I've gotten two speeding tickets in my life; literally on the same road at different times. One was from city police for $250 for going 5 miles over the speed limit (:wtf:) and the other was from a sheriff for $110 for going twenty miles over (one of those "speed reduces from 45 to 25 during school hours" traps). The second one was doubled for being in a school zone too, so it would've been only $55 normally.

To answer your question,

Lethal Drizzle posted:

It must be different in all forces

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

man I don't like cops, but I'm not the ftp type and I also recognize the one bad interaction I've ever had w/ a cop is because I called him a human being so. grow up

:lol:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

The day poo poo like this:

Stops happening maybe my stance on cops will change.

You're entitled to your opinion, but saying "it's safe to assume the worst" seems a bit much. I've been filmed performing my duties at least once or twice a week over the course of 8 years. I'm sure most of us have. You probably won't find those videos on youtube and you definitely won't find them making headlines because I don't treat people like they're animals. The scrutiny put on us by the public is understandable & welcome by those of us who are doing things correctly because it leads to guys like that getting fired.

Is it also safe to assume that all female high school teachers are loving their students? There have been numerous arrests and allegations of misconduct but do you feel the need to ask them individually to find out?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I think it'll sort itself out now that he's outting himself as a crazy racist sovereign whack job.

I love how surprised everyone seems to be that the elderly white right-wing rancher has some controversial thoughts on race.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously, this is EXACTLY what we have drones for everywhere else in the world

Is Obama reading the thread :psyduck:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

:eyepop: wow

I've seen a couple of people freeze up under stress but no ones ever actually "run for cover."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

JayKay posted:

Only if it's erotically.

is there any other way?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

USMC503 posted:

Do you think there would ever possibly be a time where a civilian would be able to shoot a cop and not go to jail for it (if they magically somehow survived the event)?

The scenario that comes into my mind would be cops executing a raid/search warrant on the wrong house at night and the homeowner starts shooting at the armed invaders.

Something very similar happened in my department a few years prior to my employment. I can't find any articles on the story, but they way it was told to me goes like this:

John Smith is at his home minding his own business when Angry Neighbor comes knocking with some kind of dispute. They get into some crazy argument which ends with Angry Neighbor saying "I'll be back for you, I'm going to get my gun :mad:"

John Smith then locks his doors and gets his own gun while calling the police stating that Angry Neighbor was armed and on his way to kill him.

A group of plainclothes narcs heard the dispatch and arrived first. The narcs didn't hear any shouting or gunshots within the residence, but they didn't know if Angry Neighbor was already in Mr. Smith's house because dispatch lost contact with Mr. Smith. They quietly surrounded the home and waited for uniformed officers while requesting that dispatch make contact with Mr. Smith to 1) find out where Angry Neighbor was and 2) let him know that officers were outside his home.

Before dispatch could make contact with Mr. Smith, he exited his rear door and saw a shadowy figure holding a gun. Mr. Smith shoots Det. Narco in the leg, and Det. Narco returns fire shooting Mr. Smith somewhere in the torso (I'm not sure really).

Det. Narco says that he identified himself by shouting "police" and Mr. Smith says that he thought that Det. Narco was Angry Neighbor coming to kill him. Mr. Smith is arrested for attempted 1st degree murder, but after reviewing the case the DA refused the charges. He was however a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, and ended up serving some time for that.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

mds2 posted:

A legitimate one. Often a public servant will do something extremely violent and illegal and then their unions will go to bat for them to get them reinstated. It seems like that alone would remove any fear of consequence, like the civilian population lives under. You know, the threat of criminal arrest and prosecution. Do you disagree?

What about the other two questions I asked?

This happens often? What percentage of cops do you believe have done something extremely violent and illegal and managed to keep their jobs & avoid prosecution?

I can only speak for my experience but in 8 years my department has fired dozens of officers who were acting inappropriately and arrested & prosecuted 3 that had actually broken the law. One was writing fake seatbelt tickets to scam overtime from a federal program and two others were smuggling contraband into the correctional facility. All three are behind bars, there is no union here & I'm absolutely certain I could lose my job if I started acting like an idiot.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

mds2 posted:

Honest ones from police officers. This is the "ask a cop" thread. I'm a curious citizen wondering what goes on behind that blue curtain. Do public servants feel like/know that they wont be subject to the same punishments as everyone else, and how does that affect their call to duty. Its a legitimate question.

If a question is too hot for you to answer there is nothing compelling you to do so.

It is a legit question, & I believe I answered it above but to reiterate: I have no doubt I'd be fired arrested & prosecuted if I was caught breaking the law. They've done it before and will continue to do so, as the job market sucks and there's tons of people waiting to replace me. The dept would see me as a liability if I was doing illegal things and cut me free ASAP to avoid litigation against themselves. The thin blue line might get me out of a minor speeding ticket but not much else.

Also, I agree with your statement above that it happens way too often, but way too often is still a minute percentage and most of us won't have any direct experience with the kind of corruption that you're talking about.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Here's Whips chance to destroy The Thin Blue Line :buddy:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Branis posted:

you all need to turn in your badge and gun on my desk until IA is done interviewing everybody.

t:mad:

I think I know who it is but I don't wanna point fingers theres a clue on this page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Me personally? No I was on a carrier and didn't kill anyone. Just like I wouldn't charge the dispatch officer during protest brutality. Did our military members do some hosed up poo poo? Yes and they should be held accountable. But the ones who did it and the ones who ordered it should be accountable. Same with cops.

Kinda hypocritical though right? In your previous post you state that a protestor in New York was pepper sprayed and blame the entire NYPD, a vet was hit with a gas canister and you blame the entire Oakland PD, and that apparently all of Americas police force is responsible for wrong address no knock warrants and shooting family dogs. If you can separate your actions on the carrier from the pilots dropping bombs I'd hope you could look at officers based on their individual actions instead of lumping us all together with the horror stories you've seen in the news.

But then, ACAB :shrug:

E: to clarify, if you believe what you're saying now, that individuals should be held accountable for their actions, then hey. We all agree with you. But go back and read your previous post, cause it sure sounds like an indictment of all law enforcement :iiam:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread