Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

J-Pak posted:

A few points on that Twitch gameplay video

-AI plays/reacts like they have rocks in their skull
-game looks very easy, even on the second to last hardest difficulty
-cool that they are using traditional health points, but it looks like they auto regenerate back to 80 after a short bit?

There's only so difficult you can really make it on a console, and the guy playing it is on the QA team and they tend to be very good at the games they play.

Looks fun to me, I enjoyed the 2009 version and the new one looks surprisingly like it, so I'll probably get it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Well sure, but the PC version doesn't let me play it on my comfy couch in front of a big-screen TV with surround sound, so it's between 360 and next-gen for me.

Does if you buy it on steam :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

How so? My computer is upstairs, my TV/couch/surround sound are downstairs.

Oh, well, yeah that could be an issue, steam has the big screen thing that makes it handle like a console, works quite well as far as I know, but not if your computer is upstairs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

I wonder if it'll fall into the DXHR trap of "yeah stealth and poo poo is totally cool except it doesn't work on bosses."

It wouldn't really be BJ if he didn't disintegrate the gently caress out of some people but I'd assume that a stealthy playthrough would leave you plenty of ammo for your BFG to use on the boss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolf 2009's was pretty great. As was actually the one in CoD world at war.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nuzak posted:

because he's Jewish, you loving racist??

I was thinking Polish, actually. I thought generally American demographics favor the central and northern areas for Polish ancestry.

Also he spends quite a lot of time shooting people with a tommy gun which immediately makes me think of New York.

Also how can he be Jewish and spend half the campaign eating German sausages to get his health back?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Humerus posted:

PC Requirements are out:

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8
Intel Core i7 or equivalent AMD
4 GB System RAM
50 GB free HDD space
GeForce 460, ATI Radeon HD 6850
High Speed Internet Connection
Steam account and activation required

"Intel Core i7" doesn't really mean much without a number, but what I'm more looking at is that 50GB. Next gen is here, I guess.

What's it running on? Wolf makes me think ID which makes me think megatextures, I think Rage also used a fucktonne of HDD space on PC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prenton posted:

Do the Nazis deliberately throw themselves off gantries so they can die screaming as they plummet like in Wolf 2009? This is important

I really wish they could release that bit of technology, like speedtree, for use in other games.

All games should have suicidal gantry nazis.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

I thought that one was a bit of a disaster?

It didn't do all that well financially I think, and was a bit of a critical 'ehhhhh' for some reason, but I really don't understand why.

It's a slightly old fashioned game but in a good way. It's very raven software, a drat solid shooter with good guns, neat levels, a cool gimmick, and a bunch of collectables and secrets to find.

Raven almost always have things like secret areas and favor the old fashioned level based shooter, and they do it really well. It feels like a game from say, the late 90's/early 00's but with a bunch of improvements from modern FPS design stuck on where it helps, and a nice graphical upgrade.

I have no idea why it wasn't a success beyond maybe getting lost in the crowd and not being a straight port of RTCW. Their Quake 4 game also kinda flopped and I don't get that either, that's another game that really bridges the gap between modern squad shooter and oldschool one man badass FPS game. All Raven's games have something like that in them that I like and appreciate so maybe it's just me.

If you're interested, Your Evil Twin on the forums did a fine LP of it which is on the archive, and it pretty much completely showcases why it's loving awesome. It has montages of disintegrating nazis set to the war of the worlds musical album.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 2, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

Yeah, I never played Wolfenstein 2009, but what I saw of it looked pretty damned good. Shame it didn't sell much.

I was about to recommend you buy it on steam if it goes on sale but for some reason it appears to have been removed, which is very strange. I got my copy from there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Humerus posted:

Activision, basically. They have a habit of acquiring a license, selling it for a bit, then just letting it lapse. See also: Voyager Elite Force, Marvel games.
gently caress Activision.

I was trawling the Wolfenstein Twitter account (ugggggghhhh I hate Twitter) and I came across "The Ultimate Wolfenstein Quiz." I got 15/20...I've failed you all :negative:

I was thinking 'there's an activision sale on right now, I think wolf09 was activision' which was why I was looking for it, but I didn't know they'd sold the license so that would explain it.

Activision are weird with their back catalogue because they have some really good games in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Also, Mel Brooks has a pretty good response to similar concerns years ago that someone posted in the comments of that article.

I was going to post that.

I agree with it, best way to get rid of the appeal of nazism is to make it a joke. Prohibition gives things appeal and mystery, whereas making it laughable destroys it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would totally agree if it was a world war 2 shooter where the German army are the bad guys. That certainly does ignore the somewhat unfortunate implications that what with conscription, chances are a good number of the people you're killing aren't really that bad, they just didn't want to go to prison for draft dodging.

But wolfenstein isn't about fighting the German army, it's about fighting nazis, goose stepping baby eating demon worshipping god playing hitler heiling nazis. Nazis are bad, it is okay to shoot them. And we know they're all nazis because the game is full of conversations between nazis about how they've personally kicked more puppies this month than the other guy and they are in line for promotion from the fuhrer for their puppy kicking skills.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be able to find a cheap amazon copy or something if they have any left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be a lot more fond of CoD if it had nazi laser cannons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

timeandtide posted:

In that one hour preview, is anyone else seeing a "dual knife" option in the weapon wheel? I mean maybe that's how the game shows having multiple knives since you can throw them, but God help me if I can somehow use a knife in each hand and go on a stabbing rampage. Also I'm laughing at BJ being seemingly brought out of his coma by the mere presence of Nazis in his vicinity.

Also, guy above buying Wolfenstein on consoles and trying to decide between versions, if you plan on playing Watch_Dogs on console you might as well buy a PS4 now - the game has like a night and day difference between PS3 and PS4, with the last gen consoles looking muddy and dull.

BJ is powered by his desire to kill nazis. This is pretty much the best character motivation ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness, RAGE was a really good FPS while it lasted, my only gripe with it is that it felt rushed at the end, but the enemies, guns, sounds, and levels are all really good for the rest of the game. So if this turns out like rage, well, frankly there's a lot worse it could do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I'm glad they didn't go about with the intention to gut something that could actually help their culture remember why Das Reich was so terrible. This isn't to say they needed any help in having severe cultural guilt, but having a little catharsis against waves of stormtroopers isn't hurting anyone. :shobon:

The reason German versions of ww2 games are always censored is because it's literally illegal to make non-documentary/historical media with Nazis in it, in Germany.

It's not pandering or anything, it's just you would actually not be allowed to sell the game in Germany if it had explicit Nazis in it. I think the idea is to not allow people to make light of it or something, though it's debatable how helpful it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I'm going to suggest a controversial idea for The New Order.

BJ is in 1960. The Nazis control the planet. This much we know.
Have him visit a "concentration camp memorial". Presumably in this timeline the Nazis completed their Final Solution unhindered, so now places like Auschwitz are memorials to Nazi engineering, efficiency, and accomplishment.
BJ gets pissed and kills a ton of motherfucking Nazis and razes the whole establishment to the ground.

Like it's edgy because it's a god drat concentration camp, but it's not like players literally get to kill Jews or make the Holocaust out to be a "good thing".

That is an absolutely dreadful idea for a videogame but a potentially brilliant idea for a nazi alternate history story in any other form of media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PAnick posted:

Because why not.

Because I've played Dark Souls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DStecks posted:

:goonsay: Blazko's use of the word "motherfucker" in 1960 is entirely anachronistic, as the word was only known in African-American vernacular until the 1980's.

Something that always amuses me is how some things are absorbed into the mainstream, and then people forget that they ever weren't. Bagels were pretty exclusively a Jewish thing until the 1970's. "Badass" was like "motherfucker", only known to African-Americans before the 1980's. "Meh" was invented by The Simpsons.

I actually sort of noticed that, but it was more that when BJ does his batman voice, he always sounds... off.

Like, he sounds as if he's literally batman from 2000+ who got sent back in time to fight nazis. His whole speaking pattern is strangely modern.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I bought it in the sale, and have been playing it for a while, and... well to be honest I'm getting really bored with it and don't know if I can be bothered to finish it.

I played wolf 2009 and found it very enjoyable, it's a genuinely fun shooter which starts as a COD-alike, and then decides that actually you need to have the Unreal Tournament arsenal to fight the nazis with, and also the nazis start throwing loving magic at you and you get magic powers too, it escalates really nicely and has some of the most fun and interesting weapons of any shooter I can recall in recent memory.

This game kinda starts like a COD-alike, and then continues in a COD-like fashion complete with 'war is hell grr grr grr' main character lines at random, and then somehow manages to downplay the fact that you're fighting super technological nazi robots from space. Like, I'm actually fighting space nazi robots and I am bored while doing it, how is that humanly possible?

I think it's the style, the game has a lot of outlandish concepts, but it seems to be trying very hard to make them as dull and normal as possible. The game has laser guns, but they function basically identical to the incredibly generic assault rifle and you get very little ammunition for them. The game has different enemies, but they all boil down to 'different coloured nazi' or 'nazi with more health and a bigger gun' through to 'very large nazi with even more big gun' while the majority of the boss encounters are 'exceedingly large nazi (robot) possibly in multiples, with larger gun that is very impressive but actually less dangerous than the basic assault rifle nazi'

Even wolf09 went for 'nazi which has specific weak spots you have to snipe' and 'nazi which buffs nearby nazis' for a bit of variety, not to mention 'nazi that resurrects other nazis into nazi fire skeletons' or 'nazi with a loving jetpack'.

There's just very little variety beyond what you'd find in probably any of the modern CoDs, with their recent love of bomb-suited guys who are bullet sponges.

Aesthetically the game is pretty, it has a fine soundtrack, everything is nicely modeled and the setpieces are well thought out and obviously trying very hard to introduce variety into the game, but when you get right down to it, not very much changes from the first moment you step off the plane, to blowing up the big robot outside the nautica (as far as I could bring myself to play). Well, actually no something does change, the stealth sections get less frequent and they throw more enemies at you that are just bullet sponges with guns you can't possibly hope to avoid taking damage from. Which does nothing to improve the combat.

The story... Well it's got a story I guess, though I would hesitate to call it good given that it doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would firing a nuke at deathshead do anything to stop the nazis ruling the world? Killing Caesar doesn't collapse Rome. Why do the resistance continue to live in a lovely berlin basement instead of on the invincible nuclear submarine carrier I just stole? Why do I have to go undercover at a labor camp rather than just shoot everyone from the outside like I have every other time I went anywhere? Including places supposedly far better guarded. Why does the game about fighting nazis rely on the existence of a literal Jewish international secret conspiracy as a major plot point? Why is BJ suddenly some sort of PTSD addled sex maniac serial killer (apparently his only three motivations in life according to his ingame dialogue) instead of a competent if absurdly lucky trained spy?

I dunno, it's an alright modern shooter I guess, though I don't much care for the PC controls, they feel poorly translated from a console, but it's certainly not what I was looking for when I bought it, Wolf09 was a lot better for my money, much more interesting and stand-out from other shooters. This one feels... extremely refined and well produced, just not actually very interesting or fun. It's not a fun game. It's a competent game, but wolf09 is fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game doesn't really communicate those very well. Apparently they can land three of the things in a fountain in the middle of berlin without anyone noticing, and fly them round a bridge for hours without getting shot at. They don't even relocate the command staff to the sub, who's driving the thing while you're away? The helicopters are never treated as being remotely suspicious, and the resistance never has any problems moving people anywhere, they somehow all manage to get to london in hanggliders without the helicopters, I can only assume they can actually teleport.

There's a lab in the london nautica, presumably unless deathshead lives there and does his research there, there are lots of other scientists who can use the fancy tech, and besides, the nazis already rule the world, they don't need more technological progress, they've already got all the best stuff which is miles more than anyone else has.

I would buy the information gathering argument for the camp if you didn't solve it halfway through by shooting the gently caress out of everything. Essentially I don't buy that there is any situation that BJ will not attempt to solve by shooting, it honestly just makes the game drag because I don't actually believe I have any need for stealth, considering I can shoot up the entire guard barracks and then just walk out afterwards like nothing happened. The game has no consequence for stealth failure, but story wise it pretends like it's a big thing.

I know the nazis need some gimmick but 'they were actually right about the international Jewish conspiracy' is a bit off colour for my taste. I don't really think games are capable of handling anything which merits the slightest amount of tact and this one is no exception. Stick to aliens or demons or satanic cult powers, you're better at it.

BJ expresses three things throughout the game. 'nazis bad', 'feelings hurt brain' and 'woman good', with about as much eloquence in each case. He doesn't seem like a soldier, he seems like some sort of deranged psychopath that got packaged into a plane and dropped on nazis, especially compared to his characterisation in wolf09 where he writes concise and intelligent mission reports at the end of every level, professionally detached but obviously interested in his mission, and also he is capable of stringing three sentences together without a break in between. Max Hass is capable of more emotional complexity than BJ, and he has more actual character moments with Klaus than BJ has with... Anya, was it? He has more sex with Anya than he does conversations.

I don't think character or story is really a necessary thing but the game seems to put a lot of emphasis on it and I don't think it does a very good job in both substance, or the method of telling it. BJ comes across like a caveman, the story doesn't make sense other than as a means to set up painfully predictable setpieces, and is inconsistent with the gameplay. It isn't even cool, it's a bog standard 'overthrow the evil government' story except one of the levels takes place on the moon.

It's passable for a videogame story, much like the rest of the game. Passable, if well polished. Markedly mediocre. Astonishingly average. I can't honestly call it good though. Again it reminds me a lot of call of duty, about the COD4:MW mark, not painfully terrible, got a bit of a plot, some nice scenery and memorable bits, but ultimately fairly average.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 5, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

His character is basically kill nazis. He gets called out on his poo poo about how at one point he was just like the nazis and he simply responds with more violence. He never has really anything to say to anybody other than a few words. His monologues sound like rambling and he has dreams about living the "American Dream" when he finishes the war.

Which would be all be fine too, if the game didn't keep trying to make you care about it.

It is a game with far too much focus on story for the actual amount of story it contains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Counterpoint, this is actually awesome, hilarious, and occasionally touching. He is the first person shooter personified, trying to cope with a world he doesn't understand using a very limited set of preoccupations, and you just can't help but root for his slightly wounded, slightly oafish, utterly earnest journey. I unironically adored BJ's personality and dialog.

He wants to be a real boy but his only notions of how humanity operates outside the war are Americana postcards he mimics without understanding. He knows his destiny is to kill Nazis and that he will never be real doing anything else. His relationships are simple, earnest, and clumsy (like FPS writing), and his love for Anya is based on the fact that she really wants to grow up and be an FPS protagonist herself: she's spent years killing Nazis in every way but with a gun.

I'm not sure I can buy that the incredibly bland writing is actually genius because it's ironically bland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I also think the world and environment design is by far at it's weakest when it gets too over-the-top (London Monitor, and the giant robot dogs). At it's best, it's depictions of a sterile police state and the odd instances of technologies that are slightly more advanced than you'd think (security cameras and 1980s-esque computer terminals in the 1960s) are really, really well-done.

I would argue that that is what Call of Duty exists for, and Wolfenstein exists to have you fighting insane Nazi bullshit with rayguns and giant brass balls.

Essentially most of my complaints can be boiled down to 'why does this game need to exist?' because it's very much like a shitton of other games that have been around for quite a while longer.

Fighting the evil technologically advanced guv'mint with your plucky band of renegade fighters by hiding behind walls a lot and picking at them with your bog standard FPS machinegun is literally the plot of the later black ops games, isn't it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is basically getting down into "the game is different than I wanted it to be", which, fine, but is useless as criticism.

I would argue that 'the game is extremely derivative and brings little to the table which is not readily available in the current gaming climate' is a fairly valid criticism, what's the point in buying or making a game that is like a bunch of other games that are already out, some having been out for several years by now.

Wolfenstein 09 was a quite stand-out game when it was released, and is still a quite rare example of an FPS which encourages a quite old-fashioned run-and-gun kind of gameplay. This release is far less so, I would argue that that makes it a significant step back for the series. I keep coming back to it but the game is very much like a call of duty game, in terms of both plot and gameplay, the main difference is the setting which swaps techno-future robots and faceless goons for retro-future robots and faceless goons.

As opposed to 09's game which lets you run around zapping nazis in the dick with a lightning gun in slow motion, and encourages you to do that to beat levels expediently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If you are playing the game by primarily cover-shooting and ADSing, please try run-and-guning it. The mere fact that your aim is not particularly affected by sprinting, duel-wielding, or hip-firing is enough to make it much different than a COD game.

Tried it and the damage on higher difficulties makes it quite punishing, the most reliable way to win is to plink at stuff from cover as a few bullets will kill you quite easily, also the presence of shotgun-wielding assholes that will gun you down if you try to get close, and the supersoldiers which have an instant kill grab attack don't do it any favors either.

The medallion mechanic in 09 circumvents that by encouraging you to just use your powers to kill people effectively and aggressively the harder the game gets, or break out your superweapons for hard fights. TNO has neither superweapons nor any offensive powers, your primary method of survival is hiding behind something, in 09 it's killing everything as quickly as possible.

Early on and on low difficulties sure you can just shoot everything a couple of times and it dies, but as the game progresses and if you turn the difficulty up, it forces you more and more into playing it like a cover shooter, which I think is a much less engaging response to challenge than its predecessor. Hell 09 even highlights this by having the beginning of the game play without the medallion, and it's quite hard given the enemies you're fighting, once you get the medallion you quickly find how using it is your best way out of a tough situation. The game encourages you to be more aggressive and use more of the cool stuff the harder it gets. TNO doesn't.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 6, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thyrork posted:

Isn't his nickname that Set gave him a nod to this? Cant recall what it was.

He keeps calling him Shimshon but I don't know what it means.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

A lot of the map layouts emphasize cover, but in a way that incentivizes flanking, rather than plinking from behind cover. The most obvious examples are the huge hallway fights in the last levels, where you're constantly darting in and out of offices, doing circles around the main arena to try to do damage to the enemy numbers. It helps that you're by far the fastest thing on the battlefield. I don't think COD plays that way at all.

Does flanking do anything in TNO?

Honestly I've never been able to figure out how to do it, as soon as I go into an area when people are on alert, they all just hide behind something and start shooting at me. If I retreat and try to find another way in, they just all hide behind something again based on where I moved to. The enemies are pretty agile and in a huge amount of the later fights, I find there really isn't any alternate route around the level, so if you get into a fight, you have to run through gunfire in order to reposition, at which point the enemies all move anyway.

I mean I've found it necessary to move up during fights in the later levels, but it's only so I can move to somewhere I can see the enemy from, then I get right back to hiding behind a wall and plinking until they die, then move up to the next enemies. Actually trying to get around the enemy cover doesn't seem to work because everyone just opens up on you.

DangerKat posted:

It's the Hebrew name for Samson.

Huh.

I thought it might be that but then I figured it would probably be a completely different word.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 6, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's not a tactical shooter, but it's sometimes very helpful to simply get on the other sides of enemies, even if only for a few seconds- especially if it means you aren't being flanked yourself anymore by moving. The end of the submarine level is a good example of this- you will get flanked and killed if you stay in any one place.

When I did that I moved up the side steadily, certainly, but that's exactly how I played CoD too, I still spent most of the time taking a few shots, then hiding for a few seconds until the enemies stop shooting, then popping out for one second to exploit the second or so delay the enemies have before they start shooting at you, and firing again.

Essentially I found throughout the entire game, that that one second delay and couple of seconds of continuing fire was the pattern for just about every enemy. If you stay out during the shooting phase, you take a load of damage, so you get a second to shoot people, then a couple of seconds downtime, then another second of shooting. Move as necessary to avoid grenades and find more enemies, repeat for every enemy you encouter, including most bosses.

I never really got on the other side of anybody, just closer to them so I could hit better, or into a better position where I had more cover, the enemies are quick to reposition if you get too far around them.

That's one thing I would applaud the game for, it's got quite good enemy AI in places.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 6, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DStecks posted:

Uh, it lets you kill the enemies before they realize you're there? :downs:

Like, what are you expecting, loving XCOM-style crits for flanking? What kind of dumbass question is that?

The stealth mechanic is fine, I used lots of that, I meant in combat, enemies don't seem to lose track of you really in combat. They just move into new cover when you try to flank them, least they did when I tried.

If you do end up getting your hands on 09, definitely install the mod linked in this LP, it makes the game a lot better by making the enemies a bit harder, and moving some of the upgrades a bit earlier in the game so you get to make more use of them.

It's good as is, but it benefits from being more challenging, as ultimately it's fairly easy to break the game over you knee in vanilla even on hard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought Prey 2 was basically dead.

Though if Arkane got their hands on it gods only know when it will come out and what it will be if it does.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pengun101 posted:

I like his long bitter rants about the crysis series, mostly because the main character is or was black.

He is?

First game you play as invisible faceless soldier man, second game you play as Jason Statham, third game you play as some random that prophet stuffed into his spacesuit before he died.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pengun101 posted:

Sorta, you are some dude in crysis2, that uses Prophets suit, eventually the suite sorta sybiotes with you and you become prophet. its dumb.

So... he doesn't like that your... brain... is black..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I personally was banking on he was Anya's cousin's semi-aborted nazi baby or something but I kinda got confused about the whole journal thing and it doesn't drop any overt hints like I was expecting.

Seconding Max as my favorite character though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

The journal has Anya's name on it. It's not that hard.

I keep getting everyone's name mixed up because there's about three names that all sound similar to hers.

Also I wasn't sure why she bothered introducing it that way if she was going to say otherwise at the end.

Essentially I got confused by the ~mysteriousness~ surrounding the whole thing and never really cared enough to check exactly what was supposed to be happening.

• Locked thread