Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Has anyone else had a problem with the game taking forever to load? It takes like 10-15 minutes to load past the Romulan logo screen on start up. This started around halfway through the release of the last season.

Also, what the gently caress is with the graphical issues that have come up lately? The longer I play/the more I go through loading screens, the higher the chance it is that part of my character will start turning black or flickering black.

Been like this since before this season and I can't find a fix to it no matter what I try. I thought it was an overheating issue at first, but checking my card reveals that it's running fine. I'm pretty much at my wits end when it comes to trying to fix it.

There are apparently tons of people on the forums with the same issue too, but the dev fixes are bizarre and don't work. One of them was basically to defrag your hard drive (I'm running on a brand new computer with a brand new OS install and pretty much nothing else.) for instance. Or to try wiping the whole computer and try installing from scratch. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asimo posted:

Not... really, though I think I've heard a few other people mention it. :raise: What OS? STO's always had some weird driver issues and such and a lot of little unfixed bugs, like the DX11 mode having missing textures for things here and there but only on some computers and the devs haven't ever replicated it internally.

Windows 7. Unless they introduced something new in one of the recent updates i'd be surprised if it's the OS alone causing it. Has to be something on their end since it was working fine on this computer for a little bit. My other computer can also run it just fine. It's not nearly as portable as this one however.

Then again they could have introduced something that's hosed up how my graphics card handles it. Wouldn't be surprised since it's Cryptic. Just not sure how to handle the issue.

Edit: I also appear to have a large number of items in my inventory that are in stacks, have no icon, no description, and cannot be discarded, taking up slots. Which means a chunk of inventory space is being locked off by this bug. The gently caress did they do during this patch? :wtc:

Edit: Also, I mentioned it to a goon, but I think Tuvok's facial model glitched out during the graphical issues. Every time it zoomed in on his face in the newest mission it looked like he was about to lunge at someone and bite out their jugular. :wtc:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 24, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Holy poo poo. There's a mission to assign crew members to janitorial services in the dyson sphere. IE: Latrine duty and such.

Someone needs to get a screenshot of some dumb bastard somehow managing to die while doing that assignment. :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mondian posted:

Did you ever install that old UI mod that changed the icons for Data Samples to something more easily distinguishable? Its old, but if you had I wouldn't doubt it would result in this sort of bug, what with all the changes that have been made.

I've never installed any kind of mod. I have no idea what's going on. It's a fresh install to boot so that couldn't be the cause. Between it, the texture bugs on the ground, and the random slowdown i'm getting fighting some Undine, it's really starting to make me grind my teeth though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So I know there's a running joke about ship consoles being lovely, but some of them are hilariously bullshit in PVE. I mentioned before that I had a ton of C-Points that I never spent and wanted to buy a ship pack. I wanted the three pack of that ridiculous Romulan dreadnought, but since I didn't have a capped Romulan yet I went with a Vesta.

Some of the consoles in that pack are insane. In particular is the Fermionic Shield-Whatever-The-gently caress. Which applies an AOE heal hull and shield DOT that's as strong as the only other real hull heal dot in the game, Hazard Emitters. And it does it to everyone in the same radius as the science officer's Scattering Field, which buffs damage resistance by a fair amount. Which means it's a very useful ability for a science officer in space combat. :stare:

Popping both of them off means anything nearby becomes a nigh indestructible self healing tank to the point where even the shittiest pubbies can't die. You can also stack Hazard Emitters on top of it, which lets you weather even the gimmick boss attacks with ease. As far as I can tell this thing has no upwards cap on the number of people it effects too, so for these new events like the Undine BZ it's very useful to the "raid".

Makes me glad I didn't buy the Odyssey pack. The reaction I get when I roll up on a lovely pubbie that's getting slaughtered by a STF cube, apply a ridiculous number of heals to his badly damaged craft, then just rip it apart is pretty great.

Edit: Also, using the other AOE field to reflect instant death projectiles at pubbies in STF's will never get old.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I had almost forgotten how bullshit the Jem'Hadar BOFF was if you gave him ketracel white.

Dude just used his latent stealth ability to go invisible and one shot a Voth out of stealth by propelling himself across a platform to drop kick him in the face with both feet. He's like a coked up kung-fu Superman.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 29, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

NurhacisUrn posted:

That is incredible. What did you name yours? Mine is Kukalaka Kaliki-Alihi.

Barack'igan. Since the game kept giving me random names that ended in 'igan I decided to go with a name change I could believe in.

So now i've got the alien super-soldier reincarnation of the president drop kicking fascist dinosaur men in the face.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Star Trek Online, now brought to you by Mountain Dew and Razer peripherals.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 1, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Technical Analysis posted:

Less clunky, less useful, more bullshit, and of course dice rolls!

It's not like the current system is useful at all. Outside of the Aegis set it's pretty much worthless.

At least now pubbies can get fleet versions of gear without having to kiss the rear end of some officer.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

Something needs to be done about the Tholian red alert because the success rate for them is abysmal and unless you get lucky you're basically throwing your time away.

The weird thing is is that when it was manual to enter that never happened.

For some reason putting it into a public queue dropped the efficacy of a run down to nearly zero. Probably would help if they forcibly disbarred people who didn't have a suit at least.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 21, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mondian posted:

Actually the Gatway usually shreds you with a cutting beam. Gozertorps are generally high yield torpedoes fired by cubes that aren't rendered visually. They're called that because Gozer, the cryptic dev that redesigned the STFs the first time, thought that instakill bullshit like that is exactly what STO needed and defended that position until he left to impose his idiocy on Ubisoft.

He didn't just leave. All signs point to him having gone out in a blaze of autistic glory defending his vision.

Emmert told him to cut that poo poo out in a memo since he plays STO and even he found what he was doing to be ridiculous. So Gozer proceeded to do the mature thing and gently caress up one of the revamps of STF's, making the optionals for the ground segment of one of the more playable STF's completely impossible. And then he added in mandatory stacking respawn timers on top of the Gozertorps, which were still bugged and in game at the time.

Mind you, this was the revamp that was supposed to make STF's more accessible and replayable. So yeah.

Not long after that an admin let slip that Gozer was "resigning" to seek "better opportunities" on the forums. This was confirmed by Gozer not long after. This was after he had went on in a thread and interview about the PVP revamp he was doing. Which apparently he was bullshitting about, since another admin/PR guy said he had done no work on it in a passing comment a month or so later.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 22, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

Cryptic should really hand out free pharmaceuticals with the monthly zen stipend because everyone on this game is insane.

Trekkies and MMOs do not mix well. You've got the OCD inducing activities of a MMO environment with the general sperginess of some of the portions of the Trek fandom. poo poo flinging ensues.

g0del posted:

Yeah, rom tacs are still the most over-powered race/class combo. However, 99% of the content is easy enough that you don't need to min/max, so play whatever makes you happy.

If they haven't changed it then Liberated Borg tactical or science officers are probably just as bullshit for instance running.

You get slightly more versatility in space, and more importantly no STF boss in the game has immunity to their racial attack. Which slows them down for sixty seconds and periodically stuns them randomly. It pretty much trivializes any melee centric boss. Unless they fixed it I think the tactical officer's cooldown resetting/lowering power also works on it, meaning you can solo bosses that require groups with a bit of intelligent kiting.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 28, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Didn't ds9 already have an update at some point?

It did. It used to be the end game hub of the game. Which meant that every lunatic, tryhard, and person obsessed with the game or a specific series could be seen shrieking in zone chat about their complaint of the day there.

Then they switched away from the second end game system they had tried out to the reputation system. Pretty sure it's mostly dead nowadays.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

quote:

"I am not crazy. I am going to stalk you and obsessively document everything you do, but I am not crazy."

Archonex
May 2, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

A little over a year ago there was a purge of inactive players to make room for new goons, so most likely that's the reason why. Just ask in channel and someone will get you in.

Edit: In addition to Marq and Xean, someone got the furries flipping out.

They are just all coming out of the woodwork this week.

For reference (though I suspect the thread will be removed shortly):http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1201741&page=1

People are attempting to explain to him that he's not that big of a deal. His reactions reek of hilariously over the top narcissism.

quote:

I'm pretty sure you are not flamed because you said arc and cryptic's customer service are bad. It's common knowledge.

I'm sure there are other reasons why you have been flamed, if you had been. Maybe because of your ego ?

quote:

id thought of that and can understand it can seem that way sometimes, but people with egos arent able to make fun of themselves or look at others opinions to weight both sides, due to their egos. im loose enough to be able make fun of myself and my faults all the time #1934, what i have and display is confidence!

STO's community is the best community. Such insanity. :allears:

Edit: I just noticed all the people with furry avatars are out in force either supporting him, making equally crazy posts, or telling him that this was a bad idea. This is amazing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

It is amazing how bad some players are at this game. I've been playing the fleet mark and omega mark fleet actions and parsing the damage dps. Even with my Level 40 Mirror Qin with Mk X and XI Uncommon and Rare gear, I've come in second in every fleet action (except maybe my very first one). Now I just got to figure out how to macro some chained skills.

Also, in working toward a Level 50 ship for my klank, I have a dilemma about whether or not to get the fleet Somraw or the fleet Mogh for my tac captain.

To be fair, Crystal Entity is like the one instance where rear torps are useful due to those damned suicide crystals slamming into you. Having a huge damage dump on an unshielded target like that can be useful if it gets close and you try to kite it.

I doubt that was why people had it though. This game has taught me differently. :gonk:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So if those screenshots of Delta Rising are any indication it looks like Talaxians and Ocampans are going to be a species in the new expansion.

It even looks like Neelix might be making a return. Prepare yourselves for an expendable tier 1 chef an annoyance. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 27, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

You know, even if I had forgotten them from Voyager the intro mission with Talaxians would have reminded me of how annoying they are.

Seriously. Why did they give people Talaxians as a race? For gently caress sakes, i'd even choose that race Kes was from over a race of bumbling idiot cooks that exist solely to annoy people.

Edit: Jesus gently caress how long does this fetch quest with the Talaxian work shifts go on for? The klingon version of this had better involve you torching the place in frustration and spiking Neelix's head on your bat'leth for daring to send you off on this bullshit quest. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 1, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

It's more the hilarious bad decisions that Cryptic Geko made for Delta Rising have been coming home to roost. There was a pretty massive bleed during the month after it came out, and there hasn't been new content in a while. With the queues being pointless or frustrating for your average pubbie, most people stilll "playing" are logging in to do doff jobs, run CCA once for the event, and logging off. There's some maybe-content coming next week, but the core problems of intolerable queues and lovely XP grinds haven't been fixed, so it won't actually solve anything or draw anyone back. And in the meanwhile Cryptic's getting more and more desperate with sales and promotions (to the point of undercutting their future profits for short term gains by doing things like a T6 bugship :laffo:) to further alienate anyone who isn't a crazy whale.

Things could have been fixed early on if the lead developer wasn't a manchild grognard, but by this point the game dying is the new normal and everyone realizes it. And instead of replacing STO's leadership, PWE is doing the (perhaps wiser) move of pulling the competent people off of STO's staff to other games, just making things worse in the long run. Or in other words,

So what you're saying is that it's the return of Gozer.

Only this time it's one of the project leads that's sperging it up?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9313623

The horrible looking Feregni summer ship has been announced.

Not gonna lie. The back end of the ship kind of looks penis shaped when you look at the thumbnail.

Granted, it's the Ferengi. So it sort of fits...

Edit: Still a horrible waste that it's essentially backwards though. Give us dick ships Cryptic! :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 2, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

I'm honest-to-god convinced a bunch of the things in this game are only there to mess with the players. A lot is probably just incompetence, but I find it hard to explain stuff like the nerve tonic part of that one mission, or the borg diamond that runs away from you forever, or the titillating 'bury the tox uthat in some sand' minigame.

Seems only natural that some rogue dev over at cryptic is snickering to himself at the thought of players using a bread and butter skill only to find it now turns enemies invincible instead, while simultaneously furiously masturbating to printed out chatlogs of the battlezone, a veritable Homeric epic consisting entirely of people screaming at newbies to stop using grav well for god's sake please god please, repeated for all eternity.

This is literally the sort of spiteful thing Gozer would do way back before he started getting too cocky and hosed with the CEO's demands to fix all the sadistic stuff he put in the game.

Did they rehire Gozer at some point? Or did he leave an apprentice?

Or are goons just pissed that there's finally mobs that will gently caress over commonly preferred tactics?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Redshirt Grenadier Division was pretty much the only time I've ever legitimately enjoyed ground combat in this dumb game since launch, so :rip:

Ironically, playing a science officer in ground combat is literally an I win button. It's probably the strongest class in that area of the game and can actually make it pretty entertaining. Since with the right kit you can't take damage at all outside of raid tier threats and can tank absurd numbers of mobs while just machine gunning everything in sight like some sort of space age Scarface.

That also extends to your group, assuming they aren't being a bunch of pillocks and keep running into instant death mechanics. Which is the only way to make some of the instances doable in a way that's not frustrating.

It's about the only way I enjoy it, in any case. Also, that FPS mode makes it much more tolerable. Anyone playing with the old targeting system is in for a rough time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 18, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Well, since you haven't caught on yet, the idea is to move people away from constant AoE builds - Spartan expressly stated that part of the mission statement driving this rebalance is to produce longer encounters and normalize the time spent in a given combat between the tryhards and the more casual crowd a bit. FAW was BIS because if the player using it could follow a cookie cutter shipbuilding guide, they were able to end any encounter in the game in ten seconds. Those same players would then complain that the game was too easy/missions were over too quickly and that STO was always the same.

Now, Cryptic had three options here - buff the enemies, nerf the players, or make understanding game mechanics easy for new players THEN buff the enemies. They already tried option one with Delta Rising, and it was bad, 10% of the player base complained about fights taking a couple minutes instead of a couple seconds and the remaining 90% complained that they couldn't actually finish missions because they're all in shitfits they think are serviceable. So that was nixed, over time.

This is now option 2 going into effect. I actually don't think Cryptic is going to gently caress with the math on display overmuch. They want FaW to only work on smaller ships and fighters, and for anything bigger than a frigate to require focusing down one at a time, much like how combat was portrayed in every fight that wasn't any of the major ones in DS9. They want Escorts to come back into their original role, IE murder that one important ship as quickly as possible in team instances. They want cruisers to be good fire support but not the complete area denial they have been for the last few years. I dunno what the gently caress they're doing to science beyond making sure Tacs can't use it as well as Sci captains, except Sci captains also suck at science now so whatever. They also want carriers to have their pets actually be a factor in any decisions regarding whether or not to fly them, and that's actually pretty great.

Now, is any of this going to be fun? I dunno. Usually mass shake ups of a game's meta are more annoying than anything, especially when a company that has a pretty bad track record with balance in the first place is doing it. But the whole point is looking at new abilities and combinations, not doubling down on flying the same poo poo but with FAW one rank higher and then just lamenting the DPS loss.

On that note, gonna be interesting to see how Grav Well/Timeline Collapse paired with Distributed Targeting stacks up after all this poo poo goes into effect.

And to expand on this with personal experience:

To be fair, it's a bit ridiculous how laser type weapons can be at the moment.

I just watched a single tactical officer blitz Infected Elite and down the cubes, transformers, and generators in about two minutes. And by blitz I mean he did it pretty much solo. Aside from me healing the guy (He was taking an insane amount of damage.) everyone else was trying to keep pace with the him since as soon as they'd arrive they'd drop out of full impulse, get a shot or two in, then promptly be left behind due to full impulse taking forever to engage. Meanwhile he'd sprint off to the next objective like some sort of space age berserker.

Thankfully I was smart enough to realize what was going on, but imagine if you saw that poo poo as a pubbie? You wouldn't even know how to respond to it. At least one of them figured the guy was hacking. That's how crazy the damage he was putting out was. I'm pretty sure most people aren't big enough nerds to get their damage that high, but goddamn did it highlight how laser type weapons are king.

About the only time he didn't exceed expectations was on the damage sponge of a final boss. And by that point I think he was just giving everyone else a chance to pitch in. Plus it's designed to take more than ten seconds to down and is right by the previous objective.

At what point do you say "Okay, yeah. This build needs a nerf and we need to put ____ weapon type intended for single target DPS or (small number of targets) DPS back where it belongs?". There's literally no reason to run content with anything but a build like that if you're looking at efficiency alone.

I mean, i'm the person flying a Recluse. So it's not like I expect to be at the top of the field of anything except for watching my dinky rear end ships periodically go nuts on everything. But still, holy poo poo. It's kind of absurd how one or two builds literally can trivialize a fair bit of the content. I can't imagine that was intended.

MikeJF posted:

Part of the issue is that FAW isn't a proper AoE. It picks two targets and does 5 high-power beam attacks each against each in short order, with random targeting if the selected target is out of arc. So it'll happily concentrate fire for you, making it good to use in both crowds and single-target situations. Which is poor game design.

They shouldn't be trying to steer people away from AoE, they should just change FAW so it's not a weird always-great hybrid AOE/Single-Target super-ability. But they probably don't know how.

Wait, is that how it works? I could swear it worked as an actual AOE way back at release. The gently caress did they do to change it? And why? That'd make FAW superior to just about any attack. :psyduck:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 17, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I still think they should give a bunch of escorts a dedicated eighth rear weapon slot that's limited to mines. Just a little extra fun slot.

Can you imagine a pilot escort just making GBS threads mines out while spinning the ship everywhere like the captain's a meth addict on a binge?

Actually, that'd be pretty rad. And it's make mines kind of useful given how fast a pilot can reposition. Cryptic should do that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 17, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mondian posted:

Uhh... wait a minute I'm still not seeing the value of science. Everything they get except for SNB is totally useless and now they don't even get that. Next best thing is scattering field and that's neither great nor necessary and science fleet... I suppose it gives you some shield resists that's nice, but with epts, even post-nerf leech, supremacy, the shield power nrg wpn doff, and a million other things you're probably sitting close to the cap anyway if you know what you're doing.

That Deflector Overcharge will need to be amazing to give sci the barest breath of life.

e: Just to be clear, I don't give a single gently caress either way. Looking at the numbers changing and the game as I know it, I 100% expect to not give a single poo poo about changing my current build at all and just eat the incremental nerf to my OP ship and still faceroll the garbage content in this game because its dumb and easy and I'm fortunate enough to have already done the grinding for my QOL traits/equipment.

A well built science officer that knows what they're doing is a loving demigod in ground play. They're basically what tactical officers are in space. More to the point, a good science officer on your team makes the higher tier instanced team play on the ground potentially be fun and not a masochistic slog since they can actually keep the team up even if they're under geared. They can pull you through a lot of stuff that other classes just can't do at that tier of play.

They're even vital to have a reasonable rate of success in some instanced content. Since any instance that requires keeping an NPC up, an objective defended, or you only having one life in means that you're going to want one if you're doing the elite version of an instance. Otherwise NPC's will either die while traveling to them (IE: Stage 2 of the "protect gorn miners!" instance.) or someone will get one shotted or dragged into a hazard (Like the Tholian boss fight instance.) and die without them being able to do anything about it.

In space?...Eh, they get extra summons and a few minor buffs? They're honestly not on par with the other two classes in space combat. I guess they can make training manuals for some potentially ridiculous powers too? The max tier gravity well seems to pulp entire waves of ships if you've specced into it properly.

Being a mobile field manual distributor isn't my idea of good play on that front. The only other thing they're theoretically top tier at is keeping other ships alive. And being the guy that sits there and hits a skill every few seconds so other people can enjoy the game is...Uh, yeah. Not too fun.

If I had my way i'd turn them into a pet class. Just take photonic fleet as a base and start giving them all sorts of ways to bring in enough ships to fill out an armada.

quote:

Best part is he probably didn't want you to - a lot of the current leet dps meta revolves around abusing a few traits in order to stay at 0 hull for a few minutes and pair that with Go Down Fighting. He probably would have been more dangerous if you weren't healing him.

This is hysterical and explains why he kept trying to run away from me in combat.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 18, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I can't believe they're only now making pets immune to warp core breaches.

They're finally doing that? Holy poo poo. :stare:

Maybe next they can make return to hangar work so that you don't lose 5 star ships in large instances or world combat. Or just let them teleport to the player if they get out of range.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

Well they continuously tried to fix it by making the AI attempt to avoid warp core breaches. The problem is, it's the hangar pet AI and thus things like "actually keep up at full impulse" or "actually attack the target" aren't even guaranteed, so that never worked as intended.

Yeah, knowing about all their efforts to try to improve on the AI this sounds more like them throwing up their hands and admitting defeat.

Really, they could fix warp core breaches being so destructive to them by making them faster. And they should be faster. But that won't ever happen since players would succumb to crab in a pot syndrome and pitch a fit over other player's potentially getting a class of ship that are actually effective in combat.

Heck, those fighter games set in the Star Trek universe way back in the playstation era of games used that as a concept for the gameplay. Smaller craft weren't juggernauts or even gunships half the time. A lot of them moved like they had a few dozens rockets strapped to the hull to stay alive instead of trading shots with larger craft. The reason being that the setting's energy weaponry is so ridiculously powerful that if you took a shot from a capital ship's weapon banks in that game you were done. The goal was to stay at top speed and use situational awareness while dog fighting or making bombing runs so you were a harder target.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 18, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

If you're talking about shattered universe, you're mis-remembering. Every fighter in that game universally moved like a pig covered in molasses which then had yet more molasses-pigs taped to it.

That may be. It's been forever since I played those games.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

God drat do I want the Federation version of that new starbase sized ship. I've dropped like 4K zen from my stipend I had left over on the packs and i've gotten nothing except for a poo poo ton of Lobi and a ton of super rare crafting materials that are probably gently caress all on the exchange.

The worst part is that I wouldn't have even done that if it existed on the exchange. As soon as one gets put up on there it gets bought by some rear end in a top hat wanting to flip ships for like 500% it's current price once the event is over. I'm not nearly enough of a sperglord about this game to have that much in game cash.

It's got my favorite feature from the old pre-revamp/tier 6 ships in it. IE: The giant gently caress off doom laser you can periodically fire at things to just annihilate them. Plus it has two hangars, and a full complement of weapon slots like non-hangar DPS focused ships do. Plus it's huge as hell. It's like the SUV of Enterprise's. Aside from it's terrible speed, slightly sub-optimal BOFF seating, and really low turn rate it's basically perfect for me and the only ship i'd likely ever want even if it isn't tip top tier like some other ships are.

What are the odds that it'll come back later? I need it. It's my final boss for this lovely space game. :argh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 19, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Aleth posted:

Why. WHY?

If you're going to do that with your zen you buy keys and sell them on the exchange so you can buy the ship for EC, never gamble on the packs expecting to win the ship. Never.

Psycho Landlord posted:

This is really sad to read, because if you had that much Zen lying around you seriously could have just sold those dumb packs or some keys on the exchange and gotten more than enough EC to just get this ship off someone directly. Trading Channels exist for a reason, and you'll notice that the people advertising the things for a bil and a half never sell, because all of the actual transactions happening are in the 800 mil - 1 bil range.

You don't seem to realize how much these ships are going for. Or how little I play this game these days.

I've seen them go up for hundreds of millions of credits. The last few that went up on the market went for 600 million to in one case 900 million. And that's before you factor in that there's going to most likely be a price jump once the event is over and they start trickling onto the market over the next few months. Fact of the matter is that four thousand zen was not going to be enough to get one of them by flipping keys. I also don't play this game nearly often enough any more to ever get that many credits otherwise.

On top of that when i've checked for them they usually simply aren't purchasable. There are apparently some turbo-nerds that are buying them up in the first few minutes they go up for sale, and i'm not going to loving sit around all day hoping I can fly around in a pretend starship.

So I figured I had might as well take my chances even if I knew it wasn't likely to work out in my favor.

Hell, it's not a bother to me either way. I have a lifetime sub due to getting suckered into one way back before release. So blowing 4K zen is nothing. All I have to do is be patient and i'll have more eventually. Knowing my habits with the game as of late i'll probably get bored with the current content soon only to pop into the game months later to see what's new. Only to find I have more zen to blow on whatever amuses me.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 19, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

And people wonder why I say that gamblebox gacha bullshit in MMOs and mobile games is so laughably exploitative of players. "But Asimo," they said, "nobody in this thread would be vulnerable enough to flush $40+ on the game for a minuscule chance to win something! It's not a problem!"

And yet, here we are.

And yet I didn't flush $40 on the game. Did you even read my post?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 19, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So you didn't read it, huh? You just pounced on the post and figured you'd get off a few one liners about the lovely gambling systems in F2P MMO's?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Asimo posted:

No, you didn't waste $40. You instead wasted $300 on a lifetime sub, and then blew eight months worth of the stipend of that on basically nothing because you were a sucker and fell into a gambling trap, and now are trying to defend it because you do not comprehend what an "opportunity cost" means. This does not in fact make you look better.

You hosed up. You were a sucker. Own up to it, shrug, and learn a valuable life lesson.

Actually, I do believe the price was $200 when I paid for it. And given how long i've played this game (I was one of the initial people posting stories about the RP community way back when, in fact.) and how many revamps the mechanics have been through a good portion of that sum probably would have trickled into the game over time over unavoidable little things like ship purchases. So I certainly don't think the money on the lifetime sub was ill spent given that i'm still getting stipends that I typically literally can't find poo poo to spend on at this point.

Either way, I long ago went past the point where Cryptic would theoretically be making cash off of my lifetime sub when trying to match things up. I also explained why flipping keys gave me a literally zero percent chance of actually getting that ship in any reasonable time frame. Whereas using the points on the packs at least gave me a chance, no matter how infinitesimal that might be.

I don't know, man. You seem to be getting pissy that I didn't spend the points in a way that you approve of. Even though that method would have gotten me gently caress all of anything that I actually wanted or even had left to get in this game that was of interest to me.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think I'm the only Dental flying one. I did not get it out of a box.

Yeah, given the odds i've seen posted I don't see much of a chance of many people at all ever having a shot at getting one. Even outside of packs it's probably going to be way outside the price range of anything but long time market exploiting types.

Given how low the drop rate is supply is going to be short as hell once a month or so passes and the initial rush by marketeers that have been buying them up to sell afterwards is gone. Doubly so since the ship theoretically fills many of the general ship unique roles out there despite having what's apparently considered by many players to be sub-optimal BOFF seating. Which coupled with it's appearance means it's going to have a lot of people that have an interest in the game but aren't looking to min-max looking to get it.

Regardless, I might be wrong about this but I don't see the price on it dropping to anything sane unless they run the event commonly or add it to an upcoming lockbox.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 19, 2017

• Locked thread