Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bown posted:

I wouldn't go this far but it is a little disconcerting to see how many people had trouble keeping up. The only times I felt lost were when I had stopped paying attention, and that's hardly the show's fault.

This is specifically why they have those produced segments interspersed--workplace of the week, the Oregon Health spot, etc. They're very well aware that a single voice will grow monotonous, grating, and dull over a half-hour period, so they're very conscientiously chunking it up with fake commercial breaks. Very clever, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like the weekly format. It keeps the content as fresh as possible without having to pull rabbits out of hats for slow news days. It also holds my interest as a viewer in a better way; I got tired of Colbert's schtick more quickly than I thought I would, and taking it from 4x to 1x/weekly makes it a treat to watch rather than, oh look, it's The Daily Show (which I'll watch the first five minutes of if I happen to have the tv on at 11).

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Damiya posted:

Yea the death penalty stuff is way too well trod to be remotely good material.

Brunei stuff was good but the episode was really hamstrung by the drawn out death penalty junk

It's last week, tonight! Yet another botched lethal injection was a big deal, so I'd imagine it's better to get the bullshit out of the way now while it's still relevant.

A lot of people already know John Oliver and The Daily Show, but I can't blame a new program for wanting to set a precedent on its viewpoint. I only hope that the next time death penalty shenanigans shows up, they'll be able to sidestep what they belabored this week to hammer in the punchlines.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

comes along bort posted:

Nah a few states have abolished it in the past decade, after it was upheld by the supreme court IIRC in the late 80s/early 90s. Off the top of my head Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut. Pretty sure O'Malley in Maryland campaigned on it when he ran for governor. It got to that point because there was a comfortable enough majority in state legislatures, but it wouldn't have been an issue unless people had made it one in the first place.

Massachusetts is a no-death-penalty state. Right after the marathon bombing, a lot of New Englanders were miffed that the accused kid could (and will, I think) be tried federally and subject to death when, were he to be tried in-state, death wouldn't be on the table.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Damo posted:

Are there hats? [ ] Yes [ ] No

Also, Vice is great if you just enjoy seeing how hosed up the world is. As long as you don't use it as fuel for your political leanings, it's a solidly interesting docu/news/whatever show.

I also really enjoy their less controversial cultural type of segments, like the one where the tiny white dude reporter went to Senegal or somewhere (can't remember exactly) where this outdoor greco-roman wrestling type sport is bigger than anything, even football. Then he wrestled a dude 10x bigger than him and "won".

The Vice Travel Guide to Liberia was legitimately terrifying. Every single interview segment ends with them running away faster than Usain Bolt due to the encraching mobs of angry people.

I'm also enjoying their current series on the school in Chicago for kids with behavioral issues (Last Chance High). It's about 75% :wtf: to 25% :shobon:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
John Oliver pulls out the British card a lot, and the fact remains that the creation of Israel was Britain's fault. That probably hurts.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

jojoinnit posted:

He also had that great bit on the Daily Show last year where he was a 19th century explorer drawing arbitrary borders for the Middle East.

Bahahaha. Is there a link?!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

"Calling me racist implies that I care enough to have bothered to learn things about these people in order to dislike them!"

:allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh my god, you're right. He is totally Guy Smiley.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
If you can marry somebody, immigration to the US is easy.

If you can land an H1-B (so, if you're either a programmer or "a fashion model of international renown"), immigration to the US is easy.

If you have family members stateside, immigration to the US is possible.

Anything else and you're basically SOL. Even Mr Oliver himself tells a story about getting held up at the border by a guard who thought it would be funny to make him poo poo himself. He'd been visiting family in the UK, was working for Daily Show, and was legitimately frightened of getting turned away at the border.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It feels weird to be agreeing with Irish Joe here, but the issue is that while individual Americans might be anti-immigration and complain about them coming and taking their jobs or whatever, the government (and thus official policy) has been incredibly pro-immigration throughout most of US history. It's cooled recently, sure, but the US was absolutely a country built on mass immigration during a time when most other countries found the idea of letting people just COME IN and be a citizen unthinkable.

Erm, kind of. We also have a very long history of being jerks about immigration.

It's the American way.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I love that Colbert's new schtick is getting him all the interviews, but while Biden looked like a young girl on her wedding day, so did Trump. I wish Steve would bring just a bit more bite to it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Baloogan posted:

did u see his cruz interview?

Is it good? Is there a link?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Okay, I just caught up on this week's episode and I don't know what some of you guys are on about. The first half was on point and pretty loving funny and lends credence to the idea that condensing a week of Daily Show material into 12 minutes it totally worth it. If you don't like the format of half jakes, half you-should-be-paying-attention-to-this, I don't know what to tell you.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Danny Trejo CIA punchline should be enough to convince most intelligent people. Also, the Juice has a black dad subplot. Barring that, Kurt Sutter jacking it to Dr. Siff. Opie's demise was pretty loving bad, but if these people already like SoA, I don't think you can use it to convince them, which is unfortunate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Tigntink posted:

Liked this week's show.

My mom and dad are bipolar. My dad still basically denies it while taking lithium and my mom self medicated with alcohol for so long she can't seem to stop. I related to the show alot. People are pretty shocked that I'm open with this information but being open is the only thing that makes it less taboo.

I also once watched my dad hold a gun to my mom's head and scream at her to tell him if she really wanted to die... Hurray for taboos that kept them both from seeking any sort of treatment until I was in my teens. (don't worry, I've had therapy, yadda yadda, severed 10 years ago, never going to pass on these poison genes)

I really appreciate John calling out these poo poo head politicians who like to say poo poo like mental health is a priority and never allocate a single dime for treatment, awareness, and general help.
Honestly though I think nothing will change. There's too many people who do know this is a serious problem and just keep voting for the same sad sacks of poo poo who spend their time and efforts on bullshit like defunding pp.

That was probably too heavy for this thread.

Not at all. I'm bipolar, and having made glib jokes about the Crazy Bipolar Girlfriend roommate I had in college, the diagnosis was a tough pill to swallow. Further to that, it shocked me that my employer legitimately had to do a bunch of research to get a handle on the condition after I lost it in a manic episode once; for some reason, I thought the facts of bipolar disorder were common knowledge, but not so.

Ultimately, I don't know what I think will help. Stuff like John Oliver pieces are better than bad, but it's a tough stigma to deal with. The illness comes through with actions rather than physical realities like blood sugar this or arrhythmia that, so it's an uphill battle convincing people that this is an ailment rather than a personality flaw, and ultimately it seems that we choose to just do the doctors and the medications and try to hide the fact of it to the extent possible. Of course, that feeds straight back into the reality that a significant proportion of people with mental illnesses remain undiagnosed, untreated, and, at times, a danger to themselves and others.

:smith:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I honestly think it goes issue by issue. US prisons are deeply systemic and an HBO comedy news show has no hope of making a dent into the issue. Stuff like mental health is an issue of public awareness and stigma, so to that end publicity could conceivably have a measured effect.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Veskit posted:

I hope you find a way to get meds, it's really important to manage both the mania and the depression.

This is true, but bipolar disorder is tricky since you have to manage both sides of the equation. Most patients do veer towards the depressive side, and that much is "easy" enough to deal with.

The manic side is trickier for a few reasons. Lithium is the all-purpose slegdehammer, but it can have brutal side effects and it it quite literally a difficult pill (or two, or three) to swallow. There's another one called Lamictal which I believe is lithium-based, but it's more referred to as a mood stabilizer than antimanic. It works if your symptoms aren't too severe, and in either case you really need to be using some kind of antidepressant as well.

I mean, think about it. There are extremely debilitating and opposite conditions that have to be dealt with simultaneously, and if you go too heavily with meds on either side, it can trigger the worst of the other. Imagine a sine wave. The best one can really hope for is to lessen the intensity. So, a bipolar patient, even with the beat treatment and meds possible is going to have mood swings. Unfortunately, the hope is that they veer depressive because while sadness sucks, mania is downright dangerous.

What really shocked me, upon diagnosis, was how unheard of it is. Again with the crazy bipolar college roommate, but for some reason I thought it was common knowledge, but it isn't. This is why I'm inclined to say that even just saying the word, and that this is not only a thing but more common of a thing than anybody really realizes, is a good and powerful first step for now.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:regd06:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:regd04:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And your avatar would work if I had epilepsy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Baloogan posted:

I have a dream, that I may one day post in a forum where a goon may be judged not by the frequency of his avatar, but by the content of his posts!

That's racist.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You won't punch a girl.

You don't have the balls.

I win by default.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fragmented posted:

As an 03 I...../kills self.

Are you happy now!? Are you!?

No. You should be killign you're slef

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Probably lurked for awhile before you spent money. Holy poo poo it's been five+ years since I've seen anyone give a poo poo about regdate.

Joke's on you if you've inserted Care into this thread.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Americans learn how to pronounce Trudeau itt

(that was a good segment)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

sbaldrick posted:

As a Canadian I'm kind of disappointed in this episode as you think Oliver would have used the footage of Trudeau doing a charity strip show (yes he did that) or his charity boxing match against a Canadian Senator (he did that too) or him geeking about about a Star War's liveried airplane that happen this morning.

Or used the picture that Stephen Harper took with noted Crack Addict Ex-Mayor Rob Ford yesterday at a giant rally

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal-election/2015/10/17/harper-calls-trudeau-economic-plan-all-unicorns-and-rainbows.html

Wearing an Adidas tracksuit for a photo-op with the Prime Minister probably isn't even the worst decision he made yesterday.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

muscles like this? posted:

The Canadian government has weighed in and stated that what John did does not count as against the law.

So they had nothing better to do today?

I'm guessing they were just happy that Mike Myers and Nickelback got screentime.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And Justin Trudeau (the "fall down the stairs" guy) wins!

Now to find out if it's a majority or minority government.

Majority! :woop:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't know a thing about what makes a musical worth $1000+ to watch once so maybe I'm not the target audience.

I'd imagine it's one of those New York Society things to do. I'm even willing to bet most of the people who go don't particularly care for musical theater or even Hamilton specifically, they just want to mingle over intermission and later be able to tell their friends, "Oh, well, I went to Hamilton last weekend. It was incredible."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FlyingCheese posted:

The $1000 Broadway tickets are for the rich tourists, that's all. People that live in NY that want to see new shows get in on pre-release shows.

Source: Saw Book of Mormon one month before it came out for $35 for two tickets. It's not very difficult to get these tickets if you're on top of things.

But the pre-releases are for people who care about theater, right? I don't think society people would bother going to tons of cheap shows all the time just to be able to say they saw it before it was cool.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Grinning Goblin posted:

I don't think morning talk shows are nearly at the level of smugness or bizarre neo-televangelist style that TED talks are at.

My favorite TED talk is the one about how to tie your shoes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody I thought I respected shared that article about red wine and exercise earlier today.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Total Meatlove posted:

The former, the U.K. Is quite strict on this kind of thing

I know it'd have a small fraction of the viewership, but is the Brexit piece geoblocked on YouTube in the UK as well?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

tarlibone posted:

The American robots, you mean. Because we all know who has been responsible for helping Europe and the UK bail themselves out from Armageddon for the past 100+ years.

They'll still poo poo on our pop culture and call us fat. Hell, they'll point out that our heavy-metal-laden robots have lower BMIs than most of us, and those jeans look way better on them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
As soon as Paul Walker signs on.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FilthyImp posted:

There were a lot of factors contributing to the fuckup that was Bush V Gore, but remember again that the man had a really boring apathetic campaign. He chose Joe loving Lieberman as his VP for Christ's sake.

Lockbox.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harton posted:

I live in Indiana and I will be going to the polls for Hillary. I used to use that same bullshit excuse until Indiana went for Obama and I then owed one of the union stewards at work lunch. You'll never stand a chance of flipping the state when every liberal in it is crying about how their vote doesn't count. What's the actual voting percentage of America? 35%? The only reason the Republican Party still acts this way is because most people don't vote so they still cater to the crazys who vote in EVERY election, midterms and all.

Edit: Also I'm going to vote even though I'm 99.9% sure Indiana will go for Trump. It would sicken me if he took my state without me letting out the slightest whimper. You should feel the same way.

I would imagine that the argument more goes for places like California, Texas, and New York, which are not only solidly of one color or the other, but also big enough states that individual votes really do matter much, much less. Then you have Vermont, which is consistently called for the democrat precisely when the polls close, with 0% of precincts reporting. Even if you expect Indiana to go red, the mere fact that it's mid-sized means your vote counts more before you even factor in that Obama did take it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's true if we continue to refuse to cut military spending. How do you think that would go?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I hate to have to say it, but at least in the US, I think tanning salons are a sign of depressed economic areas (see also: liquor stores and churches). On some deep psychological level, having a tan denotes status in that the orange person can afford to be lazy in the sun for a span of hours at midday, kind of like how being pale used to denote the status of not having to work out in the sun.

Canada is an entirely different beast. I lived in Calgary at the height of their oil boom, and I've never seen a place with more tanning salons in my life. Maybe it was the harsh winter, maybe it was the city's vanity. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't know about The Oregonian, but I have to imagine that bigger papers like the NYT and LAT make their sales money from Sunday subscribers. Sunday editions have a lot of genuinely good, browsable content.

• Locked thread