Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I need to update this again, I built a gently caress-off huge fortress with a mega refinery in it and a clunkily working production chain. Sadly it was completely crippled by my poor design skills (I only used single belts for basic materials like copper and iron plates so they got super clogged up). I also had a shitload of lasers to murderate everything :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I really hope he adds stuff like fission power and fusion power. Both of which would require a boatload of resources and materials and need you to manage the thermal output of them via water cooling to avoid them exploding.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

No, the only thing you can currently do is build a crude battery level measurement which turns on the steam a certain amount of charge is exhausted.

Indeed, I've seen one in action and it's pretty neat. involves a combination of a single accumulator running a single inserter removing items from a logistics chest tied to the inserts for the steam power.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Also the best anti-forest weapon are basic grenades. They clear forest like no one's business.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Why can't I just fit my robots with grenades so that I can direct them to launch carpet bombing attacks against my enemies?

Also serious comment being able to build terminator style robots that you can give attack orders to RTS style would be pretty cool as a lategame resource sink.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Huh, those biter bases appear to have, uh, grown.

They do absorb pollution and turn it into growth, you know.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Dred set it up, stock this time and we connect to him. We're researching rocket silo after today's efforts and once we 'finish' the game with a launch we'll think about a modded game. We're all in the UK and generally play sometime between 7pm and midnight. I made a blueprint for a 50 laser turret array with walls round for ease of deployment. We drive up to a hive, plonk down the turret farm while dred hooks up power lines then he gasses them and I gun the spawners. We cleared a good section of map but there are just so drat many hives and they seem to be getting larger plus denser together as we move out (like people have explained above). It's the normal richness so if you're planning a wide spread factory, you may want to tone them down a bit or you'll spend many hours doing nothing but clearing worms.

Oops, forgot to hit submit last night. Have a bonus 'worm massacre' picture.

I checked the time on another save when I was playing on default settings (except very big starting area) and the biters started turning up in numbers after 6 hours played.

Ratzap kept getting mad about my efficiency savings in the refinery layout though, rip. Also dreds initial bus was also terrible because he only ran one line of copper and iron down the middle!! what a clutz haha!!

Also serious note if we do the next map we should probably run with large patches of regular resources but spaced sparsely, it makes it into train fun times where you can't use belts for more than local transportation.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Turrets would be good if you could stick any ammo type in them. Shotgun turrets and rocket turrets would particularly be good and would maybe make them good lategame too.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

And this ladies and gents is what happens when you play with goons. Presented without further comment: Wormschwitz

apparantly you then broke it somehow on one of the days I was busy. RIP wormshwitz. Now I have to build an improved one somehow.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They'd be better off balancing bus's the way that a couple of mods handle it: adding more resources and making more resource interactions so that buses become impractically large or force people to make intermediates close to where they are being used. Currently bus's are really only viable on the scale they are because everything ultimately comes from copper and iron, with very few intermediates that aren't based on those two.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you're going to have a massive single input station, be prepared to have a frankly ENORMOUS goods sorting area that could actually be bigger than your factory.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dred_furst posted:

Did somebody say trains?

Been slowly building this setup, the idea being you can build smaller dedicated factories rather than one giant mess on a belt. Should help with increasing production later.
As this is a bob's game, there's a billion and one ore types. So there's a giant ore sorter which is the backbone to this factory at the moment. We're also running angel's mods so there's a ton of ore sorting steps which take up a shitload of room. Because of this modularity, it was a 5 step process to get iron plates out of the drat thing. On the upside it's incredibly easy to add a new miner and increase ore processing without having to go back and rework vast sections of the factory.

The part that makes this setup feasable and not run out of ore super fast, is to make the trains request based rather than dependant on a timetable. ]

For example, if I have 6 miners feeding this processing plant with jivolite, I would traditionally need 6 trains. Because I've added a flipflip to the station, I can now make it work with 1 train. By making the train wait at the dropoff point and cycle around the inputs, I can send the train out to get ore only when it's about to be needed to refill the stockpile.

In this case, I've made the station want 6000 or more ore. if it drops below 2000 it starts sending the train out. As this factory is actually over capacity, it's continuously requesting ore.

This is a good idea, and I am glad I am in that game working on it.

The ore sorter takes 4 input belts and sorts it into 16 output belts by the way. each "stage" uses like 1000 belts easily.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

You want the black boxes mod. It spawns chests until all your poo poo is saved, it even includes items that were in the build queue when you snuffed it. The only thing is loses is whatever you were holding.

This gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd

I still think it's unnecessarily convoluted but Dred wants to play with loads of trains so w/e. I'll post pictures of my take on it if angels updates sometime and I can load it again.

Eh, we would still need the giant sorter even if we did go down the FAR more logical "One giant crusher unit that crushes every type of ore", but yeah, more trains.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Baloogan posted:

i don't remember how to do alluminum and i can't find alumninium ore and im a failure of a factorio architect

where the gently caress is aluminum ore?!?

(bobs mods)

It's called Bauxite.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The challange I always liked was "no hand crafting" using the burner assembler that someone made. Really forced you to actually lay out production for things rather than just mashing the iron pipe button 250 times and then going to get a drink.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Got the achievement for that one. Not worth it.

Woah hey now I didn't realise the Luddites were reforming jeese.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Baloogan posted:

i mena burn for power like in a boiler

Turn it into solid fuel then burn the solid fuel.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

2 full lanes of circuits? You are like a little baby. Observe:

Yea, it's probably not the most efficient setup but given space and power are essentially unlimited at this point in the game (since you can clone stamp out nuclear plants left right and centre and landfill every possible water obstruction) it suits my needs perfectly well.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly I could save more space by properly spacing the power poles better, but the braiding on that works pretty well anyway the way it is. can just get one belt of green out of each.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Problem with AI tanks is that theres nothing really for them to fight. Maybe in PVP they'd be a lot more useful but in the stock game you may as well just walk up to them with your suit of power armour on and wait for them to all die to your laser defences while you go make a cup of coffee.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Honestly what I'd really like to see is a gamemode similar to Big Pharma or Offworld trading company, Where your inputs and outputs have some kind of monetary value assigned to them and the goal is to make as much money by making, trading and selling poo poo in an [arbitary time period] interval. Would be pretty sweet.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Deathworlds seem difficult now. Difficult as in “you will be very quickly turning literally thousands of iron plates per minute into turrets and ammo to avoid death” difficult.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

Updated Flare Stack, Electric Furnaces and Orphan Finder.

Edit: turns out people were using it, so updated Explosive Excavation as well - water is now blueprintable and the blasting explosives can be placed by bots to match changes to landfill in vanilla in 0.17.

Give us the nuclear fuel gotlag. I want my superior fuel processing system that’s also stockalike.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

GotLag posted:

What part(s) of Nuclear Fuel did you like? What would you change?

I am happy to port it to 0.17 but I'd like to make it fit in a bit better, see if I can make it ratio out neatly like the other vanilla stuff does now

Honestly I’d personally say it fits in absolutely fine, and has the right level of detail to be stockalike without being stupidly overworked like some of the bigger mega mods (pymods for instance is like a 25 centrifuge chain to take up your 0.3% uranium to 35% for your reactors)

Reprocessing in stock is super unsatisfying, and the kovarax process just feels lazy and poorly done. Plutonium processing on the other hand, feels good and feels a lot more sensibles and gives you the later option of making MOX fuel. Breeder reactors for fuel generation as well require a bit more thought than “set up the kovarax system and then leave it for 20 minutes”, since the burn times are different and you need to have a ratio of regular reactors to breeders or you’ll end up using all your fuel.

One suggestion might be to make plutonium and uranium cell reprocessing more consistent. Currently I think it’s 5 cells have a 25% chance of producing one plutonium. Maybe make plutonium “smaller” and give it a guaranteed chance of spawning, then quadruple recipe amounts, or make it require 20 calls to guaranteed produce one plutonium? That way it’s less random if your nominally semi closed cycle system is going to rub out of fuel because of bad dice rolls.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

17.7 breaks mods on servers. Don't upgrade if you're doing a modded server. Rip. 17.8 is going to fix it tomorrow.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

guh
Anyone got a 24 to 8 balancer blueprint handy

No, but just connect 4 sets of 6 to 2 balancers to a straight 8 to 8 balancer And that will work.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently 0.17 introduced new values for liquefaction (it was mentioned in the reddit thread)

someone also did some math:

the "extra" energy is actually because the moisture and uncombustable volatiles are driven off the coal during liquifaction, hence allowing more recoverable heat energy from the solid fuel compared to the coal. Or something. Who knows.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh god now I'm imagining factorio with multiple z-levels and my palms are sweaty

*shakes you by shoulders* My man have you heard of satisfactory????

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Build everything in a train network, once you commission your new factory, close off the old factories station (or disable the LTN on it) and then wait for the output station to empty. Then just tear down the old factory. That’s the beauty with point-to point train network layouts, you can leave you old inefficient stuff running as long as it needs to and seemlessly decommission it when the replacement is done. None of this “closing the bus for 95 minutes while I try and jam the beaconed blue circuits in” there poo poo.

Edit: for example in an older game I had a train setup and at one point had two smelters with steel furnaces and yellow belts, one with red belts and electrics and then finished one with A fully beaconized blue belt setup. That last one was so good it let me finally turn off the steel furnaces. I then levelled the steel furnaces setup and put another beaconized blue setup there when I had the resources. At no point was I not making enough plates or had to stop production.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 18, 2020

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The Locator posted:

That's kinda garbage that they refuse to fix something like that. You sure as hell made it a lot further than I did before you bounced. I'm not sure if that means you win or not though. Lol.

One of the reasons I stopped my bobs playthroigh was I spent like 8 hours building a giant aluminium smelter to make aluminium only to find it was instantly obsoleted by the next tech and now only is used as a single item in upgrading robots.

Honestly since I’ve switched to krastorio 2 I’ve never looked back. It builds on stock rather than just adding pointless busywork complexity for the sake of it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really wish there was stock small tanks that held like 5000 units of fluid so you could use pumps as overflow and one way valves without needing to wait for 15k of fluid to build up in a 25k tank.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Charles 1998 posted:

A tank outputs its contents to the circuit network, so you can wire a pump to a tank directly and the pump turn on when "Oil < 5000".

Tanks try to follow the same %full rules as the rest of the pipe network they’re connected to, it’s easier to pump overflows and under flows using circuit network on smaller tanks because you don’t have to fill a tank with say, 20k heavy oil before it overflows to your lubricant factory. Smaller tanks make those more responsive since they only need to contain 4000 fluid rather than 20k

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I forgot just how upset the bugs get in rampant AI. Luckily, krastorio makes combat slightly more exciting when you get to watch tracers gleaming in the darkness as you mow down hordes of bugs from your base.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Krastorio is probably the most vanilla+ feeling megamod. SE I wouldn't recommend as it's just extremely frustrating and clunky to deal with the space science side of things. Angelbobs is for people who are off their OCD meds and need to automate yet another 7 ingredient item for their 42 ingredient production chain.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Factorio: The one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

I will forever love how even in the best take he couldn't keep a straight face

drat, you beat me to it. But yeah like half the takes in RA3 hes clearly on the verge of corpsing, its great. Tim curry is a national treasure.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Quality sounds fun and will be interesting to see the most effective way to manage it (skimming uncommons off general production? Specific quality recycling loops?) But its gonna have a lot of irritating things to manage like clearing out your trains when the wrong quality item is in there, or needing to set up and manage a quality depot to send all your skimmed items to... interesting stuff.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Its a good aesthetic with the pips for rarity. And it solves the issue with colour blindness accessibility.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ammo is probably the one place I can see the "put one quality module and skim off anything above common" approach working. Shovel lowgrade common ammo onto your turrets, keep the higher tier stuff for the players.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I would be shocked if the rails change was not in the base game because otherwise its going to make rail blueprints nearly useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

At last, grade separation. By allah the most merciful, I can finally build junctions that make sense rather than just throwing signals everywhere and hoping it works.