Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes but what about Mary Jane...does she get a book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The best spider product out there now is the Newspaper strip.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

XboxPants posted:

I hope all the Spider-Mans have to hold hands to defeat the final enemy.

They could gestalt. They could give Peter their power. Ben/Miles/Kaine/Ultimate Spider-girl and Peter are the last ones left standing and have an epic fightfest against the baddy.

I wish Grant Morrison was writing this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I can't get Grant Morrison then please put Hickman or Zeb Wells or Joe Kelly on the book please.

Oh and no more Ramos please. But more because of time for change. I thi N k he gets undeserved hate. Let's go with someone else...I dunno...let's say Immonen or Copiel or...JH Williams or whatever. Go artsy or something.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 3, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

They could even have one of those celebrity name fusions, like Wellred.

Can't find the quote, but I remember Morrison saying he'd be a bad fit for Spider-Man.

He can work and do something amazing but it means pushing Spider-man into areas the fanboys probably wouldn't be comfortable with and taking him somewhere else. Not a bad fit, he can do great things, he just needs to think it through, but it won't be accepted because its not what people would be used to. Like the whole "lol totems, wtf?" poo poo. Like, finally some writer does something different and interesting, however flawed, but its lambasted because it isn't single Parker luck Spider-man fighting street level crime and cracking wise like I'm used to.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What Stan Lee seemed to understand that a lot of other writers/editors don't get is, Peter's got soul and his character grows. Started out as a high school kid, went to college, got a job, had life hit him hard and gave a lot of challenges, and he overcame them or got through them and not always in the best of condition. That's the "relational" aspect to the reader. It's one of the better aspects of JMS' run when he brought him full circle in a mature way by making him a High School teacher and simultaneously having him be a resource for or working for Tony Stark, who in some ways is a successful Peter who applied himself differently before becoming Iron Man (also the whole Howard Stark thing). He's a character that progresses in life even when all he's got is punching Doc Ock's face for the 1000th time as Spider-man. Spider-man is fun, but Peter's life is what gets you hooked and in relation to Spider-man and the consequences of his superhero life impact his regular one.

During Stan Lee's run you had a great supporting cast. You had May, Gwen, Mary Jane, Harry, Flash, sometimes Betty Brant and Jonah Jameson and Robbie. Although it was during college it was really appropriate. You had Flash joining the military, you had Harry and his issues with drugs, Gwen dying as a consequence to his life as Spider-man, Mary Jane and Peter growing closer, him getting married and and growing up. His cast also seemed to be living their own lives versus just being something Peter interacts with to serve a purpose and then disappear. And a lot of it overall is somewhat organic and sensible in development. He's been a popular character throughout all this and a flagship to Marvel, in sales too.

It's part of the reason why OMD and OMIT was so jarring (thought it did lead to some good stories from Joe Kelly, but then again, good writer). Pigeon-holding the character and/or trying to throw him "back to his roots" isn't what the character or book is. Even Stan Lee threw all that b.s. out for the comic strip. Going the Ultimate route or having a flashback book like Spider-man loves MJ, is the way to do it. And why did that work? Because even Bendis had things grow and develop and lead up to Peter's death even if the setting was still high school, the cast grew with him. If they can understand this, put him in the right spot where they want him and surround with an appropriate supporting cast to what his life is, it'll work out much better. Norah Winters was a good one and generally liked, Joe Kelly got a fun character to challenge Peter and she was a co-worker. Carlie Cooper is nerdy girl and Peter-lite, it don't work. She doesn't give anything new or interesting for the character to play off of or take him anywhere. Black Cat was interesting enough and she's stuck around as a supporting character for a long time.

Also, Spider-man shifted a bit when it transitioned from Ditko to Romita Sr. and became a bit more dramatic/soap opera like, probably in part due to Romita Sr.'s style and Stan Lee took it in that direction.

Take a look at this and tell me it's the same character...

vs

(also to throw in some "Parker luck")

That's more interesting than what we get these days and it seems more playful with a bite than anything else.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Grant is not "lol drugs" so much as he has a throughline of hope in his work and he plays and experiments with concepts often moving things forward and exploring things themeatically and on a, I can't say it any other way, level higher than other writers. It's more high level stuff than just nitty gritty details. In terms of what he did with X-Men and Batman alone shows that much less his original works, sometimes he throws stuff out there that applies but maybe doesn't explore it fully in depth but it fits. He also "gets" Superman and the only other writer in modern times I think does as well is Kurt Busiek. Morrison explores Superman in a more mythological grandoise way while Busiek gets his humanity imo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Peter Gwen and MJ is basically Archie Betty and Veronica love triangle. Done well it is a lot of fun and the cattiness is more playful than vicious.

You also have the Black Cat vs Peter vs Spider Man love triangle vs the Lois Superman vs Clark triangle. Today maybe such things would be handled in a serious tone for dramatic affect but back then it was more light hearted.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Comedy option is that's Todd Mcfarlane.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

This is the best picture of Gwen from her first appearance.

Man Peter what an rear end in a top hat. He's giving her the unexpected cold shoulder. She's used to guys fawning over her and she's in control of her sexuality hooking up with guys but Peters playing the long game and building chemistry. Not being needy and push pulling her and making her curious. Dude got game. No wonder the babes line up for him.

Haha.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
You know as much as I'd like it to be MJ and for her character to get respect or move on and get her own series I kinda want that chick and the real Peter to continue on for a bit. She's had a bad deal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Keep her character at least then. Let her develop.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Senor Candle posted:

More likely once Ock comes back she'll try to lead him to redemption and then get killed just in time for Ock to be a villian in a movie.

So pull a Doom then. Go back to his roots.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Peter should be working for Tony and Reed as consultant and be a part time high school or college professor. As far as Jonah is concerned he calls Peter up every day to upload Spidey fails to their YouTube channel that Parker films. Though he doesn't work for him nor is employed by the Bugle as far as Jonah is concerned he owns Peter as an employee anyway yelling at him and trying to be stingy with him.

EDIT: To get Parker luck in...Peter will shoot for Victoria Secret. He can be the hip swinging bachelor kids can relate to and live vicariously through. This will allow Peter to travel and put Spidey around the world.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wish we could eliminate that drama. He doesn't need that for work just for personal life if at all. Like his excuse is work and people think he's a woekoholic. He's and an adult. Not a high school slacker who is irresponsible to his job...that he needs because he's poor and relatable.

Retail it is then.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Working for Stark or Reed works to explain how he survives in NYC and is part of his character as a genius. Consulting is part time and connects him to the superhero community and Avengers. Peter teaching as a sub connects him to youth and applies something that is his past and creates drama and doing something productive. Part time photo hog connects him to people and society and city and potentially hot chicks. He holds multiple jobs like relatable youth or some poo poo and juggles responsibilities as his opportunity allows and can put him where he needs to be per story. They are not full time but combine for income.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

Instead of working for Stark or Reed, why not just work for himself? If he's such a genius (and that gets played up WAAAY too much) and if it's so necessary for his genius to be part of his work (never mind that his employment consisted entirely of being a lovely photographer for the vast majority of his publication history) then why not be his own boss?

Tactical realism man. He can't run his own company and be Spidey. Too much. He would be a deadbeat boss not paying employees and poo poo as his company goes under and he no take business classes which is mastering the art of bullshit. Real business management is like...not what you see in Comics unless you are lovely rear end Bruce Wayne. He can be his own consultant and charge for services.

But whatever. Just be interesting for story.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would have preferred Ben and Peter and MJ and Gwen as a core for a Spidey series but Peter and Spider Gwen and Kaine with MJ is fine...let's give MJ Superman's power set.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So this is Stan Lee doing Spock...but better. Sounds good to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tavarin posted:

And unless her webbing works differently, it doesn't seem to be a very long term costume.

This is part of the plan. Her spin off will be like Gen 13 original series. "Oh no! My clothing has dissolved!" And then Slott will cackle and Land will be on the book he has been training for all this time.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 24, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ben Reilly in 2014 sighting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I gotta admit, the Spider books were pretty awesome.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
DeMatteis is really quite great. I loved his run on Spidey. Him, Giffen, and MaGuire though on JLI was wonderful.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My favorite Jonah was from Amazing Spidey with DeMatteis that for all his cartoon bluster and stiffing him on pictures, when it came down to it, he took care of Peter. Like getting him a good lawyer and taking care of his legal expenses during his trial and whatnot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Going off that, yeah, an ongoing series for Spider verse as a replacement for What If or whatever might be a lot of fun.

The Spiders replace the Britain Corps as multiuniversal agents if that cover of thrm decimated is indication.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

Discarded Spider-Verse characters picking up the slack and teaming up with the Master Weaver to protect the multiverse could be an awesome idea if not taken too seriously.

Yeah. I'd totally read that. They have a lot of great potential characters like Miles, Ben, Kaine, Spidock, Spider-Gwen, Spider-UK, and can come up with more, etc. Just slap a good team or rotating team on it like what they did with Amazing after reboot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

What I mean is, force him and Peter together the way Doom joined the Future Foundation.

Nah. Let's forget the classic villains. Let's introduce something new. Have Peter lose his sense of responsibility, gather all his enemies onto The Bridge that Killed Gwen Stacy, then blow it up with them on it, and say he's done with this poo poo and move forward.

If we can be gifted with Franklin Richards, Valeria, Future Foundation, new X-Men recruits, Avengers like Ex-Nihilo, Starbrand, Smasher, Manifold, etc. that are good...gently caress the classic poo poo. Give a new direction and new blood.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

Then he marries Shriek and becomes roommates with Axis-Carnage and starts a new series called Spider-Man and His Terrible Friends.

I'm down with this.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The A-May-Zing Spider-Aunt was great. I want a whole Spider-man comic with Gale Atkinson's art.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Well done, a kiss is now sexual....

It's comics. Sexual stuff is evil and icky and wrong and better not have it or will be made fun of.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Hippo posted:

I've been a bit out of the comics game this last year and I was wondering if Doc Ock is still Spider-Man?

Yes.

No.

The answer is both.

SPIDER-VERSE!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Uncle Ben comes back and smacks all the Vampires upside the head and Aunt May forces them to subsist on a diet of wheatcakes, I am all in.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Too bad it wasnt MvsC 2 or 3...another hero or villain could have jumped in and pounded Morlun like Storm or Magneto or Sentinel or Juggernaut...or...like...Zero.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.justsayah.com/art/20810/Spider-Gwen/

Yay. Adam Hughes doing Spider Gwen covers!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's actually a bird in France they force feed, put it in horrible conditions, and it's eaten whole. Bones and all. As in, they put the whole thing in the mouth and then chew. And when it's eaten they all wear towels on their head and cover...I dunno...their shame?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_bunting

It's protected.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm selfish and way past being a teen and there are enough teen spideys. Give me Papa Peter married to MJ and move on.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

Been reading Spider-Man comics on and off since I was seven, and going on thirty this year, I hope Peter always stays young. Marrying him off, giving him kids and a stable job, is just too far away from what made Spider-Man such a hugely popular character. We want to see the characters we love grow and change the way our lives do, but Spidey should be preserved for future generations.

There's a pair of old VHS tapes, one with a couple episodes of Spider-Man '66, the other with a couple episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, that really defined the character for me. I was fine with married Spider-Man, but when I got ahold of Ultimate Spider-Man in my teens, it felt like the comics were finally publishing the real Spider-Man again.

Spidey's gone from high school, grown as a person, gone to college, had people come in and out of his life, die, done various jobs/career paths, gotten married and progressed in his "life" and been married at one point longer than wasn't (if I recall). Giving him a wife, a stable job, and being an actual adult I'd argue is what the character should be right now. He progresses in life and grows up. We've got plenty of teenie bopper Spidey's running around to satisfy and I don't get why everyone wants to go to that boring well.

Write it well and it'll be fine. Though, yeah, "Youth" is relative.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Question IRL posted:

It's Secret Wars 4. Secret Wars 3 was a storyline in the Fantastic Four where the Beyonder and Molecule Man do the Fusion dance and become a Cosmic Cube.

Nope. Secret Wars 5. Don't forget the Bendis one. All the other characters did.

HA HAW!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Yvonmukluk posted:

Plus Slott's gone on the record as saying he's writing Renew Your Vows.

I am so conflicted. AAAUUUGGHHH!! gently caress. If his is the only book then fine I'll buy it.

God, Jeebus in Heaven, please put Hickman on Spider-man after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Paul Cornell? Chris Priest?

• Locked thread