Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Metal Loaf posted:

I like Bagley; I believe he pencilled Thunderbolts for a while and I liked that a lot.

I associate him so much with the Ultimate Spidey that it was kinda weird to learn he'd been doing art for the main Spider-Man titles in the 1990s, worked on the early Clone Saga and drew the issue with the death of (the actress pretending to be :v:) Aunt May.

Is it fair to call him a definitive Spider artist, along with Ditko, Romita and Romita, Jr.?

Personally I love Mark Bagley's art; I find that he excels at telling stories. I very rarely read a Bagley-drawn book and spend any time wondering what the gently caress is actually happening on-panel, which is something I wish I could say about more artists. Mileage, of course, varies.

My perceptions may be colored by the fact that he was the original New Warriors (v1!) artist and I love that book beyond all healthy reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Why is Spidey wearing a corset?

One smartass remark to Emma Frost and she implanted the compulsion to raid her closet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, as much as I adore Hickman's writing, I'm not sure he'd be the right fit for Spider-Man. Like, at all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Did you read FF at all?

Yes, and that story was brilliant, but it wasn't a Spider-Man story. It was a Johnny Storm story that had Peter Parker in it.

Unless you're talking about a twelve-issue story arc where the Centaurian lady comes back to Earth trying to get Spider-Man into bed and Wacky Hijinks Ensue, which I would, granted, buy the hell out of... but something tells me that's not the kind of book Marvel's gonna get behind.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dacap posted:

It won't happen but I want Allred on Spider-Man

I would murder people to have this happen.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Know who I'd love to have on Spider-Man?

Mike Wieringo :(

God dammit now I'm sad. :(

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ben Grimm as Officer Krupke was amazing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah fridging is a comic book term and used by a specific audience.

Fridging is a comic book term, but in recent years I've seen it referenced more and more in other 'fandoms' such as those for TV shows; it's a useful shorthand that's grown beyond its original context.

That doesn't make the line any less clunky - though admittedly I laughed at it - but to say "only comic nerds know this turn of phrase" is a little myopic.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Did anyone like Hawkeye that much before the Fraction/Aja book?

Personally, I always liked him in that way where you find yourself liking a character for no real reason. The way Buseik wrote him in Thunderbolts helped a lot.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Well I liked Hawkeye before it was cool.

:hfive:

One of the earlier comics I owned was that West Coast Avengers annual where Hawkeye saved all of creation by conning the Grandmaster and Captain America was looking at him like he couldn't decide whether or not he approved, it was glorious. Always dug him since then.

That said, if I had to point at a reason for his recent popularity it'd be threefold:

1) Buseik's use of him in Avengers and Thunderbolts, which really solidified his characterization in the modern age;
2) Bendis killing him and bringing him back, which did the whole "absence makes the heart grow finder" bit, and
3) Fraction and Aja's solo series, for obvious reasons.

Like, I don't know that the later reasons would have happened without the earlier ones, is kind of my point.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay, the pokemon references in Silk have been cute so far but Johnny Storm and Peter playing an original Pokemon game on a huge flatscreen with PS4 controllers is too much. ...I do appreciate Peter looking smug since it looks like his squirtle beat Johnny's bulbasaur somehow.

Dude, it's the Fantastic Four. Reed probably got irritated that his kids kept demanding new games that were on new-gen consoles so he just up and built a FantastiBox that plays every kind of video game ever made.

Then Val made it even better, somehow.

...dammit, I want this to have happened.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I can imagine being a Speedball fan during Civil War probably felt unpleasant.

It did, yes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

As much as I'm ready for Slott to leave Spider-Man and have for years now, I can't really blame the guy for not wanting to leave what is clearly the sweetest gig he's probably ever going to have.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

Will Sliney is the artist of Spider-Man 2099 and here is a really cute thing he did.

http://willsliney.tumblr.com/post/129062050308/so-last-night-i-surprised-the-amazing-laura

Will Sliney is really good and this was extremely :3:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man, I can't believe Waid ws one of the 'brain trust'. You'd think after his run on the Flash he'd understand all the great stuff you can do with a married superhero.

I'm guessing that once he went back to the Flash and it was terrible and no one liked it his opinion might have soured a touch.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly if you think about it for five seconds, OMD falls to pieces from a logical perspective.

These words apply to something like 95% of all comics stories ever.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Semi-related: But Secret Wars finally finished today and in it they explain why Miles' mom is back.

It's pretty great.

For the record the explanation is "Miles had a cheeseburger in his pocket."

It is vastly more awesome than that makes it sound.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tato posted:

It's neat to see some 2099 characters like Venom and Goblin return in the new arc, I've been a bit disappointing in the "Miguel's 2099 is corrupted" story as it has kept us from having any fun cameos like the Punisher 2099 one during Spiderverse. The new Spidey 2099 custom still sucks though.

Tell me you've been reading Contest of Champions.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I would read that if only because Mary Jane is currently so explicitly and vocally done with Superhero Bullshit. Her getting a fairly robust and versatile power set would be kind of hilarious.

Well has DC comics got a storyline for you!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I don't think Marvel is trying to sell May as hard as DC is shilling Jason, either. May is more like this vaguely-neglected continuity corner that nonetheless has some fans.

Mayday is this thread's Squirrel Girl.

Forgotten, raised only as a joke, unknown to most fans. But there's hope! Once a writer comes along who makes her an Avenger's go-to babysitter, Yvonmukluk will be deluged in books and be so happy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which makes no sense, since we know 616 Peter was on the life raft.

Maybe since Peter was hanging out with the cool kid who gave him a pocket cheeseburger Molecule Man threw in a little somethin'-somethin'.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

That... that is beautiful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

I can't get excited by anything written by Gerry Conway in 2016.

Carnage has been surprisingly readable.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Decius posted:

Since soldier-boy needs to go to sleep at times, what excuse do they find for the symbiote not simply running away at night?

We haven't gotten that far yet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Citizen V's costume was amazing. Dude had Patriotic Pauldrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Yeah, Clone Conspiracy managed to underperform expectations. Which, given how low expectations were to begin with, is pretty impressive.

It was at least pretty-looking.

• Locked thread