Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

416 AQI in Roseville. I was outside for 15 mins sweeping my pool since the winds make our giant-rear end oak take a massive leafshit in our pool. By the time I was done, I was all gritty from the ash. Insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Related, this refurb Winix air purifier is on sale and the filters can be found for pretty cheap. Costco used to carry this model but switched over to a shittier model
https://www.winixamerica.com/product/certified-refurbished-c535-air-purifier/

Use code SAVE10 for $10 off and free shipping.

Both colors out of stock :lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

It mostly looks like high gray winter clouds in Sac as long as you don't look at the sun, only warmer and a tad muggy. So far the smoke seems more aloft than on the ground.

Thankfully. My pool is no longer an ashy crater, and I actually was able to go on a run this morning.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, Placer County went down to orange. I can’t wait for everyone here to continue acting like morons as almost everything opens up.

The local middle school already had a few cases a couple weeks ago and had to send everyone home for 14 days.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo my girls' middle school is opening up 5 days a week on Nov 4 with classrooms up to 34 students. Good loving grief.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god do I love Roseville Utilities. Wayyyy cheaper and they haven’t shut power off once, while most of my friends are constantly going through this crap.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

adoration for none posted:

Good point. Everybody seems to be confused by this prop, there's just too much going on in it.

This is how I feel about half the props ever. If I can't understand what the gently caress you're trying to accomplish, you get a no.

It's like all the local Roseville measures. I have absolutely NO loving clue what half of them mean, even after reading them 2-3 times. Good grief.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

sorry but that's SMUD

Roseville Utilities, my friend.

SMUD a close second though. I had them when I lived in Folsom.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

A lot of the drop off ballot boxes around here in Roseville are full and aren’t getting emptied fast enough. I’m going to have to wander around to find one for mine today. Cool.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eSporks posted:

Come out to Roseville, it's scary.

7:45a in Roseville. Sweet!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol that voting rights for parolees won but not for teenagers

I have 3 teenagers in my house. gently caress letting any of them vote.

Also, it shows Placer as 100% reporting but Ballot Trax shows my ballot hasn’t been counted 🤔

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol wrong thread

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eSporks posted:

Same.

I'm watching the Byrne Kennedy race. NYT doesn't show placer mail in votes yet, but it's a county she's leading.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/11/03/us/elections/results-california-house-district-4.html

Motherfucker. McClintock was going down in flames last night.

I want Kevin "REOPEN EVERYTHING NOW" Kiley to get the boot too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So Placer is showing 100% reporting: https://www.placerelections.com/election-night-results/

Does that necessarily mean votes are still being counted, or handed over to be counted? Does that include mail-ins/dropoffs? My wife and I's ballots are still uncounted.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eSporks posted:

I'm in the same boat. Just called the county elections office and spoke to a sweet lady. The 100% is just the in person voting. They are still going through some of absentee ballots, especially ones that were just delivered to the election office today. They said that as of right now, they are estimate they have 75% of the vote. She also said that ballot trax does occasionally lag behind, so not to be too worried.

Excellent. Thank you. I'm shocked you actually got through.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

DO IT

DO IT NOW

Literally watching predator right now and he just screamed that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/11/11/placer-county-wont-enforce-mandate-red-tier/

quote:

PLACER COUNTY (CBS13) — A spike in COVID-19 cases sent counties tumbling backward through the tier system Tuesday.

As businesses scramble to adjust, Placer County leaders are promising to back off, telling business owners to do whatever it takes to stay afloat.

“We as a county are not enforcing any of the governor’s mandates. Pure and simple,” Uhler said. ”Do what you need to do to stay in business. Run your businesses. If your customers want to come in, accommodate them.”

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I don't think they're going to be the last to just say gently caress it unfortunately. We've spent the last 8-9 months pinballing back and forth between:

1. Counties shut down to reduce cases
2. Case count goes down, businesses agitate to reopen
3. Counties reopen, cases start to spike a few weeks later
4. Go to Step 1

Santa Clara allowed limited indoor dining to resume about a month ago and lo and behold the last two weeks we've seen cases surging back up. Turns out nobody has the resources to provide the welfare required to keep a shutdown going long enough to not just flatten the curve, but actually contain the virus within a local population. We'd also need much more rigorous testing, contact tracing, and limits on movement between counties. Without that or a vaccine all we can do is oscillate back and forth to try and mitigate damage or say gently caress it and throw 'er open.

Maybe the Biden admin will throw a bunch of Federal funding and health resources our way and change the calculus come January, although assuming the Dems don't win both Georgia seats I'm not sure to what extent he's able to help without Congress.

Like, I get it. My family has been stuck at home for 8 months. My kids' mental health state is an absolute train wreck because of all this and I have one kid with legit depression. She quit figure skating (she's been doing it for a decade now), as a result and has gained 30lbs since March and who is now actively in therapy and doesn't want to do anything but sit in her room on her phone. I used to think, "oh I'm fine, but I need to keep my kids' mental health up," but my wife and I are starting to get cabin fever. I'm really loving sick of getting up, taking my toddlers to daycare, sitting at my home desk while facilitating distance learning for my teenagers and telling them no you can't go hang out with your friends, sitting at my home desk some more, picking the toddlers up from daycare, eating dinner, playing with them, and going to bed. And on the weekends, sit at home doing nothing. Repeat for 8 months. I feel like I'm in Groundhog Day.

It's really loving tiring at this point. We've been good soldiers for 8 months, but man do I want Trump/Putin/Pfizer's vaccine ASAP. 2 of my teenagers have been back at middle school (in Placer) for a couple weeks now, and it will be absolutely devastating to them if in-person schooling is taken away from them. My third, who has heaps of ADHD, social and anxiety issues already and NEEDS in-person schooling, goes back to high school in January. Him sitting in front of his Chromebook for 7 hours, then having no motivation to do anything but sit there and watch Youtube afterwards for hours on end. It will also be devastating if he doesn't get to go back. He's on his school's Cross Country team, and thankfully has started practicing again (pretty easy to socially distance) so at least he has something to do.

One kid has been going to soccer practice for a month-ish now, and the coach is lowkey skirting the rules about no-contact. No games are allowed, but the coach said that if the team and another just "happens to show up at the same place and time," they can "kick the ball around." I feel like an irresponsible rear end in a top hat for being a part of it and letting my kid go, but gently caress sake, staying in a cave for 8 months is wrecking my kids drive to do anything but eat junk and sit in front of the TV all day, and I honestly can't blame them. Since no tournaments are allowed in NorCal, the coach proposed going to Vegas for a tournament. Thankfully most of the team told her to gently caress off.

One of the best things we've done recently is we bought backpacks we can drop our toddlers in and go hiking to get out and at least do something. They've had a blast with that at least, even if it's like pulling teeth to get the older kids to go with us.

I know we can't just throw er all open, but the alternating between semi-open and LOCKDOWN is really annoying. I don't have a good, balanced solution.

I'm going to be thankful when this poo poo is over. Having (a shitload of) kids during this time is loving trying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 11, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong I wasn't going after you or really even Placer. More just remarking that the whole situation is hosed and I think other counties - even some costal "blue" counties - might follow Placer's lead in telling the State to gently caress off unless actual aid funding starts coming down.

Oh yeah, I wasn’t disputing what you said, rather attempting to add a personal anecdote to it.

And yes, agree on all the Uhler stuff. Him and Kevin Kiley only give a poo poo about businesses. gently caress both of them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

41 of 58 counties now in purple, including Placer. This is not optimal.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

I mean, the problem is that Google and Apple have done everything in their power over the last ~10 years to track every single possible thing they can about you from your phone in order to sell targeted advertising that is 0.0000001% more effective - or worse turn it over to law enforcement - and have constantly lied, obfuscated, deflected, double-talked, and whatever else they can do to make you think that they're either not doing it or not actually doing it to the scale they really are. And even when they acknowledge what they're doing, they make opting out of that data collection as confusing and time consuming as possible.

So when a highly transmissible pandemic comes up and that location data is actually necessary to the health of the general public, and Google and Apple swear up and down that they recognize this is different and none of that data they collect for the purposes of contact tracing will be sold or turned over to ICE, nobody believes a loving word of it because they've spent the last loving decade lying about those very practices.

I don’t think I’d put Apple in the same category as a company who literally sells every bit of your personal data for advertising dollars.

Plus, if you’re worried about privacy, you wouldn’t posting anything from a device that knows your exact GPS coordinates at all times, has all your contact info in it, possibly your work data, anything about you, has a web browser that tracks your phub usage, has a Facebook app that scrapes every single piece of data legally and not legally possible.

This notification system is the least of your privacy concerns and people should absolutely use this, especially since the whole state has gone to poo poo in the past month. Any little bit helps and I hope this app expands to all users ASAP, even if it is like 6 months too late.

e: I just looked and I’m eligible to enable notifications. Cool. Not in a UC campus either.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 18, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

They've told the DoJ to go pound sand in response to a request to unlock/decrypt a phone in an actual terrorism case.

Yes, that’s privacy. I’m sure google would hand that over in a heartbeat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1329549279967334401?s=20

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gavin (and kids) exposed to the rona and will be quarantining in his McMansion for the full 2 weeks I'll bet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

Newsom: "Everybody stay hope! This pandemic is serious! It's so serious I'm going to impose a state-wide 10PM curfew, seriously wear a mask and stay home!"

Also Newsom: "Wait what do you mean I caught the rona attending a fancy dinner party with lobbyists and gave it to all my kids? That can't happen, we're rich!"

While this would be most poetic, it seems that his kids were first exposed to a CHP officer that tested positive, and the whole family tested negative.
https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...sed-to-coronavi

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

We shall go on to the end, we shall smoke in France,
we shall smoke on the seas and oceans,
we shall smoke with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our ciggies, whatever the cost may be,
we shall smoke on the beaches,
we shall smoke on the landing grounds,
we shall smoke in the fields and in the streets,
we shall smoke in the hills;
we shall never surrender,

What, no modified Aces High lyrics? Lazy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kenning posted:

Anyone have bets on a) when we get a statewide stay-at-home order, and b) to what degree it will actually be complied with?

A) won't matter because B) will be pretty low. People that have been staying home (especially people with kids) are sick of staying home while everyone else fucks it up.

e: Like, if I were single and had a PS5, sure, I'll WFH by day and game with my bros all night. But since I have 3 teenagers with their own declining mental state due to all of this, no way I can keep them sealed inside. And my twin toddlers need to be in daycare every weekday or the WFH thing doesn't work, at all.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 3, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CA Notify is being released on Thursday. Everyone please use this on your phones. It does not collect any personal or location data.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-regional-stay-at-home-order/509-5fd93ee3-50a2-480b-8697-6b35f0e7ed2a

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CA Notify is live:
https://canotify.uchealth.edu/

Please use this on your phones.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

That is a good link but this one is marginally better since the url is shorter:

https://canotify.ca.gov/

I'm pretty sure the content of the websites are exactly the same.

Thanks. I was looking for that one, but google kept giving me the UC one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sydin posted:

We are getting absolutely pummeled by the aftermath of all the traveling and gathering for Thanksgiving right now. And unfortunately it's probably going to happen all over again mid January thanks to Christmas. :sigh:

My local ice rink shut down for a couple months in the beginning, but since September as been going full loving steam with adult league games. There's roughly 60-65 teams of up to 18 players each that play across 7 nights a week. Only a small handful of teams (mine included. I told the rink to gently caress off) decided to opt out this season. It's loving mindblowing how many people don't give 2 dusty fucks about this and think that 20 dudes breathing heavily on each other for 75 minutes isn't a big deal. The rink shut down league games for 1 week a while back due to a positive test, but there's been many more positive tests and they keep their foot on the gas and keep it open. Mindblowing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I can tell you that Dolores Park was PACKED this weekend and mask usage to and from the park was abysmal.

Not sure why this is surprising anymore. It’s going to be the same til everyone is vaccinated, unfortunately.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CPColin posted:

Just like your mom lol

Aw man, I wanted to make a sustained load vs short-term load mom joke. This will have to do.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My son got sent home from school on Friday due to a possible exposure. We just now got an email saying they're closing in-person instruction for 10 days due to ~20 teachers testing positive. Good grief.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re: CA Notify

Seems to be working alright! Unfortunate that I had to use it.

I tested Wednesday 11am.
Positive result on Thursday 9pm.
Got a text from CDPH Saturday morning with a link to submit my positive diagnosis into the system.
Couple hours later the other 4 phones in my house were all sent a notification.

Glad to see it work.

After I got my test result, I called the number listed and they said they had to wait until my test site reported the positive to CDPH, which could take up to 72 hours, if at all. 3 days between a positive diagnosis and being able to enter it into the CA Notify system seems a bit much, but glad mine was much shorter.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thank you.

Physically fine other than a cough. Mentally...... loving exhausted.

We have 5 kids, including twin toddlers, who are both positive, which scares the absolute poo poo out of me. It would be one thing if we could send all the kids to their room to isolate, but having toddlers wrecks any semblance of this being easy whatsoever. My wife tested negative somehow. But whichever way you dice it, taking care of the positive toddlers puts people at risk. The amount of surfaces they drool, eat, spit all over is incredible.

If we were all positive, it would be much easier since we wouldn’t have to be masked up all day and isolate from each other. We have 2 negatives in the house shockingly, with a couple tests still pending, so this is super complicated. One parent can’t take care of both toddlers all day.

It was a brutal feeling reporting it to our daycare lady and see a group text go out to everyone reporting positives and saying they don’t know if they can open Tuesday and recommending all the other kids get tested. As a parent, having your toddler get sticks jammed up their nose to their brain is gut-wrenching. And as a parent, being first to report it seems like admitting we hosed up and now are responsible for getting everyone else’s kids sick despite us being as safe as possible.

But in reality, we don’t know if we gave it to daycare or got it from daycare and were just first to notice or test. And we’ll never know. That’s very frustrating.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 17, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I have a question related to this, but I figured there was just something I don't understand: Why is Sacramento's regional stay at home order lifted when ICU capacity is 6%

There’s some component of 4-week look ahead projection as well. Not just the raw % of the current day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Took 6 days for Placer county contact tracing to get ahold of me after my positive test. And I look like a dick because I didn’t give out any contact info since I did it all myself 5 days ago. They’ve got a pretty nice web system that they use, but it didn’t let me log in because it wanted my home zip code, except they were using one from 9 months ago.

My daycare shut down for 10 days after we confirmed both our toddlers were positive :smith:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

stay away from Home Depot on North Sunrise in Roseville, I have to go there later!

stay safe, goon!

I've noticed again that every stupid not even that loving good restaurant is filled with non-masked dipshits that stare at anyone wearing a mask like they might be an anti-fascist infiltrator - so Placer county really deserves the worst.

Ha, I do need to go there, but it can wait a couple weeks.

All the stores I regularly go to around here have 99% of people masked. It’s a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

fermun posted:

Keep in mind, Safeway only uses actual employees for delivery if you order a day in advance. If you want same-day delivery, they'll use instacart.

Walmart has used door dash for the past couple deliveries I’ve placed 1-2 days prior.

Also, Walmart+ loving owns if you have 5 kids and never want to spend a second in the grocery store or waiting in their parking lot ever again. As long as you plan 24h in advance.