Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

agarjogger posted:

I don't think things are that bad for them at all right now, most of them have a reasonable expectation of a house before thirty. It's when the inevitable surplus of STEM hits that we're going to see some seriously pissed-off MechE grads. This surplus being so completely inevitable because no one will shut the gently caress up about the certainty of these degrees, and will not shut up until its five years too late.

It's actually pretty funny because my university is planning to effectively double the number of engineers here in the next 10 years (to 25,000 students ). The impact of this program is effectively causing a mini housing bubble as everyone and their mother builds apartment complexes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kobayashi posted:

This is so true, and so sad. Anyone who thinks the Bay Area is the last bastion of progressive values should read up on last year's BART strike. The union got its rear end kicked in the court of public opinion. Management would have broken the union outright had two workers not been killed during the strike.

I'm not really convinced this is a new attitude though, just one that people didn't pay attention to until recently.

"gently caress the homeless" definitely isn't new.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

A lot of college-bound young people are either bleeding heart, or stone-cold, but all agree unions are 'not needed', and the simple go to is that unions are a business started in your business to take from your business to sustain theirs.

poo poo sells, is tough to dispel, and even if you do, so what? Unions are dead!

Anecdotally it's more that unions are not even thought of. It's like the shapes from Flatland trying to conceptualize a third dimension, it just doesn't come up.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Did the number of people using CAAP decrease as well? Perhaps they just kicked people off of the program.

e: I guess by the name it's a county program but you get my concern, how do we know that people weren't just kicked off of the program?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ProperGanderPusher posted:

An engineer friend of mine is chomping at the bit to move to Texas someday. He's never been there, but he feels he'll save a shitload of money and be able to own a fuckton of land (which he'll proceed to do nothing with since all he does is play video games all day) if he moves there.

I have it on somewhat good authority that the money-saving aspect of it is a bit misleading since Texas has a rather high sales tax, hence why so many techies demand huge raises before they agree to move (on top of places like Houston being suckfests in general). Is that basically accurate?

California's sales tax is 7.5% so it's less than a 1% increase (8.25%), plus there's no income tax either.

I can also guarantee that coming from the Bay Area you will have cheaper cost of living no matter where you go (of course no where is really as good as the Bay Area but still).

e: the 8.25% rate is also the maximum allowed rate in Texas; in California you can add another 1.5% on top of the baseline tax too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Yeah the Dallas suburbs are basically full of the Orange County types of wealthy conservative assholes. Those are the guys you normally have to worry about in Texas politics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

gently caress SoCal, basically.

Be warned that while Texas (Austin especially) has "actual seasons" you will often be able to see all of them within the same day week.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Telesphorus posted:

I've concluded that California's liberalism is largely a facade covering up libertarianism.

See: Prop 13 (keeping property taxes neutral so homeowners won't pay as much money into schools), also needing 2/3rd vote from legislature to raise state taxes

"I told Warren that if he mentions Proposition 13 again he has to do 500 sit-ups." -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Prop 13 passed before Reagan became President. If anything that just shows that California's system is very resistant to change.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
As a general rule you don't want to put your capitol in your largest city because your capitol is going to have a fair amount of population just by virtue of being the center of government.

Basically it helps stem the notion that everyone not in [big city's region] is a bunch of dumbshit rednecks who don't deserve to be listened to (though that certainly hasn't helped some states, e.g. New York).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kobayashi posted:

This kind of "gently caress you I'm rich / poor people get out" attitude is everywhere in SF right now.

Which is why it's going to be really funny when the bubble pops and everyone loses their shirts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

Yes, exactly, Google is far from a whites-only company.

Now men, on the other hand...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaal posted:

I completely agree with this, and I've definitely noticed it too. There's something extremely problematic with the notion that blacks are the only real diversity. I mean, excuse me? What the gently caress does that say about equality in America?

Why are there apparently insignificant numbers of Hispanics, despite California being a minority-majority state?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Space-Bird posted:

It's weird. I don't know a single person who doesn't want better public transport in the Bay Area. Most people want to pay for it too, but local politics seem to prevent anything productive from happening. What's the "real story" behind it?

If it's like anywhere else it's probably a combination of disagreements over the exact implementation (routes and the like) and having multiple jurisdictions that you have to deal with which adds to confusion (e.g, there's the SF government but also the Oakland government, etc).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

The graduation rate of Black/Latino people is dramatically different from Whites and Asians, both in the UC system and in general. Getting them into school doesn't help if they wash out or have a poor GPA (a contributing factor in the washout problem).

The UC system has an 85% 6 year graduation rate. ( http://accountability.universityofcalifornia.edu/documents/accountabilityreport13.pdf , page 42)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xandu posted:

edit: It's too bad we can't look at age demographics, since a lot of these companies skew young.

The median age of Google is 29.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/technology-workers-are-young-really-young/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

quote:

The seven companies with the youngest workers, ranked from youngest to highest in median age, were Epic Games (26); Facebook (28); Zynga (28); Google (29); and AOL, Blizzard Entertainment, InfoSys, and Monster.com (all 30). According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only shoe stores and restaurants have workers with a median age less than 30.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

I am sure this is true for Africa as well, but there are plenty of well-qualified Hispanics in central and south America who can't get visas to come work for Google in the USA. If congress would fix the visa situation, a lot more diversity would take place. Hispanics are definitely hurt by the fact that immigration has been dominated by the uneducated/unskilled, who will then have children who are behind their peers, and so on and so forth.

There are also plenty of well qualified Hispanics in America too but for *some* reason Google et all aren't hiring them.

(And again this applies to non-tech workers as much as tech workers)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

Only a small percentage of hispanics have bachelors degrees, and markedly less than the African American population:

The figures are really bad for men too, last time I checked. Black and hispanic women do the lion's share of keeping averages up for their respective races.

And even with those figures Black people and Latinos are still under-represented by a large margin (they should be 2-5 times higher than they are at Google even if you're only counting the native population*).

*And again, this is with non-tech jobs, i.e. the ones that are highest in Black/Latino representation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

There was a book that talked about the shift towards ideologically homogenous neighborhoods but I can't remember the title of it for the life of me. tl;dr most of us used to live in neighborhoods that were a lot more diverse in terms of political ideology, but white flight/suburbanization has created many more places across the country where you will no longer have to see or interact with the political other.

I severely doubt this or at least I doubt it actually existed for very long given the urbanization trends of the US.

Maybe it was more prevalent in California than the country as a whole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

Most evidence points towards peak housing integration being in the past so that aligns with idea that neighborhoods were more diverse.

Yeah, which is why I added "I doubt it actually existed for very long ".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Chegg runs a "pay to cheat on your homework" service as well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Forceholy posted:

Wait, what?

They have a "unified help session" where people can post questions to homework (like physics etc) and get answers. These questions (but not the answers) are conveniently cached on Google so people have an incentive to sign up.

It's hard to find prices online but it costs ~$15/month for this service.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bobby Digital posted:

iTunes music hasn't had DRM since 2009.

And that was quite clearly a requirement of the labels and not something Apple wanted.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Please provide quotations from this thread that supports this assertion.

Silicon Valley has been a prime driver of innovation in this country for the past 60 years. The average American household owes a lot of its economic wellbeing and standard of living to the technology that was invented in the Valley.

Hmmm.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

What exactly is "self-centered" or "entitled" about that statement? Here, I'll provide it again for context:

Please state the nature of your disagreement, thanks.

I'll give you a hint: if someone from Detroit said that regarding the automobile would you think they were self-centered or entitled?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Perhaps the problem is that you are trying to attach too much meaning to that statement to begin with. I simply posted it in response to your dismissal of Silicon Valley as "businesses out to make money as they should." No, SV is a lot more than that. To understand this, you need to understand how innovation happens.

Literally every urban center that's not a decaying husk fits the description of "innovation center" and "full of businesses out to make money". The point is that you're not more special than Chicago, Houston, or NYC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I never claimed SV invented the computer. But anything in the world that is running a modern computer is using SV-created technology, absolutely.

And Dallas-created technology, and New York created technology, and [urban area] created technology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Family Values posted:

Right, SV hates taxes. That's why Santa Clara voted against Prop 30, which increased taxes on high income earners. Oh wait, Santa Clara county actually passed it by a solid margin. Yeah but I bet those evil fucks in San Mateo rejected it, after all that's where the real richies form SV live. Nope, they passed it by double digit margins too. But mah taxes!

They also voted near evenly for Prop 31 though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aeka 2.0 posted:

If I've been conserving water for the past few months and then we see a mandatory conservation, will they take my previous record into consideration or will they demand more and then fine me because I can't go further because I started early?

Well, a sensible application of the policy is to take the average water use and tell everyone they have to be under x% of that average.

But sensible is sort of optional I guess.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a good question, for context California produces 99% of the US's: Almonds, Artichokes, Dates, Figs, Raisins, Kiwifruit, Olives, Clingstone Peaches, Pistachios, Dried Plums, Pomegranates, Sweet Rice, Ladino Clover Seed (?), and Walnuts. Along with being a large producer of a ton of other things (http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/Statistics/PDFs/ResourceDirectory_2013-2014.pdf).

I'm guessing these are "things the US makes" rather than "things available in US markets" (for example, most of the olives I see are from somewhere in Europe rather than California).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I would say that we can't afford to water orange groves any more... but I bet a sprawling housing development full of 4000-square-foot homes with swimming pools and green lawns uses several times more water per acre than an orange grove.

If there's ~10 trees/person then they use equivalent amounts of water.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheese posted:

This is true of literally every state. Not to defend central valley conservatives, but "rich areas with high cost of living paying more in per capita taxes than poor areas with cheap cost of living" is pretty much the norm and almost inevitable math wise. That map could also read "the people with the most money own homes in these yellow areas" and it would be true.

It's also limited by only looking at state sales tax and income tax. If you're primarily a farmer the latter won't apply to you, and if 20% of your county is below the poverty line you're not going to generate much sales tax either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Kind of missing the point, here, guys.

Rural communities are undoubtedly poorer, and poorer people live in rural communities. The point is that those poorer rural communities vote Republican, and Republicans consistently vote to cut taxes and cut services. Cutting taxes does not help poor people much (because they don't pay much in taxes anyway) but cutting services hurts poor people disproportionately (because they rely more on services).

Are the poor people themselves voting Republican though?

Just as a cursory example, Kings County (one of the ones on the map) had 41% of their voting population* vote for Obama in 2012. That's a pretty significant percentage and could be indicative of other things happening than just "dumb rural hicks voting against their interests".

*Which, incidentally, was only 30% of the entire population of the county, and the county itself is majority Hispanic. That doesn't sound like "rah dumb white people".

e: Based on the above figures, only 18% of the county actually voted for the Republicans, though something like 12% of the county are inmates alone and ~6% are immigrants.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 27, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Low voting turnout is common everywhere in the US, that's hardly surprising. And a 60/40 split is considered a landslide victory for the party getting 60. Of course not everyone in the area votes republican, but the majority of the people who show up to vote do.

Voter suppression is also not a new concept.

Leperflesh posted:

And I would not characterize them as "dumb hicks." The republican party machine has been extremely good at utilizing all the tools of advertising and human psychology to capture voters. I don't think you have to be dumb to be misled.

I think the people that use these services are not the ones that are voting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Social Security and Medicare are overwhelmingly used by retirees and the elderly; these are the Republican Party's strongest base.

We were talking about the state programs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

New malpractice practice: Cut off someones leg "by accident"? 20 years minimum in prison for negligence and medical torture-equivalence for everyone involved.

Suddenly people read charts more carefully.

Or at least it would discourage the practice of 30 hour shifts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So stock up on gasoline and assless chaps. Spiked shoulder-pads optional.

So, become a Raiders fan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

That capacity. I'm saying that if we taxed Almonds to force farmers to grow more Tomatoes, which use 50% of the water needed for Almonds per acre, we'd just grow 2x as many acres of Tomatoes.

Only if demand for tomatoes was inelastic (which it's not, they're perishables).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zeitgueist posted:

How in gently caress did such an unabashedly good prop get on the ballot and pass?

You're killing my cynicism here.

:negative:

It doesn't apply to current felons unless the justice system wants it to (so probably not).

Keep the cynicism alive!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

4. Banks are suddenly getting far less money from their student loans. Yes, in the long term they will theoretically get it all back since the debt can't be discharged, but with $1 trillion or whatever it is now tied up in student debt, even having 10% of that return nothing for 2-5 years would be debilitating to a lot of banking institutions and could potentially tip us into another 08' style crash.

Banks have actually been a relatively minor part of the student loan issue since the ACA passed. Non-federal loans are up but a large number of those are state loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

Building additional housing capacity helps everyone even if all the additional housing capacity is luxury, unless all the additional housing capacity is filled by people moving into the region from outside it.

As long as anyone within the region is moving into that new housing, they are leaving behind whatever they were living in before, and someone moves into that, etc. etc. Vacancies act to lower prices.

Though this is ignoring the unique costs associated with the California market (ie, rent control and Prop 13 makes it so that vacated properties might be more expensive than the ones they move into).