Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kaal posted:

[Citation needed]

The US has some world-class graduate educational institutions available to the rich or extremely talented, but it also has a whole lot of pretty terrible undergraduate education.

I don't think anyone actually does undergraduate specific rankings internationally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Ive never had the handles on the big paper bags tear off. I also dont buy lead bricks though so maybe thats a thing.

Are we actually discussing alcholic beer runs at 6am and tiny/thin bags packed with cold/damp beer cans?

Most of the paper bags I've seen don't have handles, that's my big issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FRINGE posted:

Arent you either SF or east bay? Its been a few years but I thought that WF, TJs, and Safeway/Vons (I cant remember which chain has that area) had the brown bags with handles up there?

I'm in Corvallis (Oregon) right now visiting family and the only place I've seen bags with handles was Market of Choice. Winco and Safeway both just had the regular ones, which is odd but I guess it saves money.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

doctorfrog posted:

I hope in 20 years cats become the next plastic bag. Take that to mean the absolute worst of whatever you want it to mean.

They're already causing the death of ocean life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drilldo squirt posted:

I've never been able to figure out how subway does this either.

It costs like $20,000 to license a Subway franchise and they don't care since they get a percentage with no other liability.

(For comparison, McDonalds requires something like $750,000 and you must have an additional $1 million in liquid assets)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So most people have probably heard, but the Raiders and Chargers are considering doing a dual stadium in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pUrUcH0ic

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noggin Monkey posted:

Coincidentally, $800m is also the projected infrastructure spending shortfall for the City of San Diego. Hmmm, repair our roads and crumbling infrastructure orrrrrr we could keep the nitwit Chargers around for another couple of years. What to do, what to do...

They'll choose none of the above.

FRINGE posted:

This is becoming a problem everywhere. The boomers pocketed the national wealth and now have free time to poo poo on everyone else for as long as they can warp the health system to be devoted to keeping boomers alive instead of anything less profitable.

Yes it's the Boomers' fault, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In a shocking twist, the Rams and Chargers go to LA and the Raiders go to San Diego.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

What would the football team from Jefferson be called?

The Sally Hemings.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Wow, really? That's very strange. Where I come from, all country leaders get buried in the same cemetery after they die and there's maybe like one honor guard that is stationed there.

For some reason they think people might do silly things like arrive en masse to pee on the grave.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

I lolled at the stories of 49ers fans leaving the stadium early since they couldn't handle South Bay's blistering temps.

Which was probably still cooler than what I experience in Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If we start by publicly executing the biggest water offenders (I'm looking at you LA) the rest of the state will fall in line.

Murder a bunch of Mexicans and rich farmers will stop being shits, yes this is a good plan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VikingofRock posted:

This is sort of like the NorCal/SoCal divide: I rarely hear Californians complain about Texans, yet whenever someone complains about California they inevitably turn out to be from Austin.

Mostly due to population probably. I've heard bitching from Austin to Portland to Boise, although the latter (or Idaho in general) mostly gets the conservatives.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shbobdb posted:

One major problem with Austin is the lack of diversity. All the "cool" points of Austin are pretty much "Whites Only".

Austin really is a PNW city after all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsa posted:

The ultimate problem is there is no real solution to a bunch of people wanting to live in one particular area. Poor people simply are hosed, there's no known way to create "affordable" housing in areas that have great demand and the salaries to back it up. Like lord knows it has been tried everywhere and has failed literally every time because it doesn't matter what you do, loopholes will be found or made. Increasing density will alleviate it somewhat but at the end of the day it will never be affordable in the sense some people are thinking- you will still need to be solidly middle class if you want to live comfortably in high-demand areas.

People living in one area isn't the problem, it's the rate of migration. A large but stable population would only have issues with housing when the buildings reach their natural lifespan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

George Lucas is trolling his neighbors. After they shot down his plan to build a studio on his property, he thought to himself "What can I put here instead that will infuriate Marin-dwellers the most?" and the answer was obvious: poor people, in the form of a 224-unit affordable housing development. He was partnering with some charitable organization for a while, but then they bailed out. So he said "gently caress it, I'll just pay for it myself."

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/15/george-lucas-planning-payback-with-massive-affordable-housing-project-on-his-marin-county-land/

If there's one thing Lucas knows how to do it's troll.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

I was unaware the contribution to the GNP was the measure of how best to use water.

It's a pretty good measure for for-profit entities.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

By this logic we should be increasing the amount of water used in Oil & Gas extraction. It produces larger economic returns than just wasting it in rivers.

Are there undeveloped Oil & Gas fields in California that would be viable with more water? Do go on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

In times like this, you should kill your neighbors to save your family.

EDIT: Wait, in Oregon my landlord had me on a year long lease that still allowed her to raise my rent each month. That's not how it works here?

That kind of removes the point of a year long lease, at least from the perspective of the renter.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

The issue is, it doesn't really matter what % of water Ag uses, it's a rather meaningless metric.

Not when you're in the middle of a drought.

"Oh hey we need to reduce water consumption but 80% of it is untouchable, whoops!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsa posted:

Uhh it's not hypocrisy to act in accordance with the loving laws. Oh no Paypal doesn't facilitate the transfer of illegal funds and acts in accordance with federal laws applicable to being a money transmitter. The author needs to learn the difference between grey area things like renting out your home and driving a car vs. breaking laws that would have the feds and DOJ knocking down your doors in 24 hours. Besides that airbnb and Uber are facing legal problems literally all over the world, they are hardly being ignored and are already out of operation in some states. The whole thing is uninformed nonsense.

There's no reason you couldn't have a legalized prostitution market in the same way you have a legalized marijuana market.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tirinal posted:

I'm trying to follow the logic of this. He's saying if they transplanted 20 families (who already consume X water regardless) they could fit on his property, and therefore he should be allowed to consume X water?

The average house uses X water. I use Y water, which is more than X. However, an equivalent number of average homes on my land would use 20X water. Y is less than 20X.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tirinal posted:

My understanding of residential occupancy is that families do not materialize out of thin air every time a house is built. If he put 20 families on his property, then they came from somewhere else in California where they're using 20X water already.

Or they immigrated from somewhere else. Or they came of age.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

This reminds me of that 2010 study that showed that giving people information about how their electric use compared to their neighbors and asking them to waste less resulted in an overall 2% reduction -- but usage in many conservative households went UP.

That's because conservative usage was often below average (because a lot of them were poor) and they figured that it wouldn't hurt to be at the average.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

Not sure where you get that; the NYT article about it says republicans were the larger users overall:

quote:

The economists speculate that some conservatives may react angrily at being told to save energy, while others may realize their energy use is lower than average and increase it to match perceived norms. Other tactics may be needed to get conservatives to conserve.

It also doesn't really tell you much about distribution, but it is known that Green activists are much more likely to be wealthy than other groups.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 15, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

That sounds blatantly unconstitutional, although off the top of my head I can't recall which part exactly it'd violate. And now I think about it, I'm not sure why it's acceptable for publicly-funded colleges and universities to charge more for out-of-state tuition to non-residents.

Presumably because those residents (or their parents, rather) pay for that tuition subsidy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I understand that reasoning, but that would imply that out-of-state people could be charged more for anything that state taxes helps to fund: including roads, agriculture, public transportation, even access to private businesses (since the taxpayers have to support the costs of regulating those businesses).

They do regulate access to some businesses, like insurance companies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

Alright, so we don't cut off water to anyone who ever lived in New York, but we can charge them 10x as much? I'm cool with that.

You can also adjust residency for college, so maybe not that extreme.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I mean, I guess? These increases in pay will just fall on the backs of students and faculty. The UC should be reducing nonacademic personnel, if anything.

Those greedy non-academic personnel who benefit from a minimum wage are truly the issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bedshaped posted:

Gasolene/Petrol isn't as cheap @ $4 to a gallon as I'd expect from the US. That's maybe 70-80% of what you'd pay here.

That's a California thing. I'm in Oregon right now (the state immediately north) and gas is $3-$3.20 per gallon for unleaded depending where you are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

Get rid of all traffic signs and signals; make every intersection a yield sign.

Instead of yield signs, do roundabouts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TildeATH posted:

How we expect democracy to work with suffrage afforded to complete nincompoops has always been mystery to me.

It doesn't work, that's no mystery, but the continuing naive expectation that somehow it should is nigh unbelievable.

Coincidentally, the non-nincompoops are the people who agree with me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I can't think of a compelling reason why voting rights are taken away from felons in the first place. I've read that it would create situations where jails situated in rural areas would suddenly add like 2500 prisoners to a community with like 5000 non-jail residents and other silly things like that, but that's a technicality. You could easily legislate that imprisoned voters vote in the districts they were residents in before they were convicted, for example.

One good reason is that it's a potentially abusive situation if proper inspections aren't followed.

It's quite likely that you already see a similar thing happen in nursing homes. Patients are mostly out of it so it's dead easy to get them to vote how you want.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tirinal posted:

And yet, somehow, there has not been a spate of scandals involving nursing home votes being sold to the highest bidder.

That we know of.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VikingofRock posted:

I'm pretty sure stripping the right to vote from 13% of black men leads to a pretty significant redshift in American politics--whether or not that is intentional is up to you to decide.

Probably not unless they lived in significant swing states, or if they would vote in state elections.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how up their asses San Franciscans get about how progressive they are, then turn around and act FYGM as gently caress when it comes to affordable housing or homeless issues.

They really are following the Nordic model.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

:lol:

Yeah, because Google could totally move their headquarters to Nebraska and get everyone to move there. Google, Amazon, et al. aren't in the expensive, desirable cities because they love having to pay expensive office rents and huge salaries to match housing costs in the area. They're in those cities because that's where most good developers are or want to live.

I don't think Redmond Washington was that desirable of a location pre-Microsoft.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My athletic nerd friends love the place. Kayaking, hiking, skiing, all within short drives -- sign them up.

Yeah and that's all in Idaho too but you don't see mass migration there (and there's even some tech companies like Micron and (for a while) HP ).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

Fiscal politics aren't generational - they're determined by personal wealth, and the wealth of the people around you. Meanwhile, social politics are mostly generational. So you have an ever growing number of young people in the bay area who are making enough to go full blown FYGM mode when it comes to money politics, but still turn up to pride parades and Black Lives Matter events. It's honestly kinda surreal.

Black Lives Matter (except here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ron Jeremy posted:

I was up there a while back and considered getting a job at micron just because of the housing prices. Idaho's gorgeous.

It is, but it's very...far away from everything else. I might retire there if I can't do so in the Caribbean.