Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FCKGW posted:

The complete phrase is "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" and with a job posting like that you'll surely get none better

Yeah, 11 pubs, at least one office, on call 24/7, and less than 50k? Holy poo poo. I get paid much more than that, with benefits, for less than half the work. I'm not in IT, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that low pay managing even one location, much less 12+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

UCR just sent an email saying the whole campus is closed as of Monday, with anyone caught on campus being subject to criminal prosecution. This isn't just academics but also research people as well. No word about what all the undergrads and foreign residents living in dorms are supposed to do in less than 2 days or what happens to the 100s of millions of dollars of research organisms. GG UC.

Seems kind of silly. They could keep the labs open; it's small groups of people working in a fairly clean environment. Canceling classes is enough to stop large groups of people congregating.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

And I thought I was a heathen because my absolute favorite burrito is simply carne asada, guac, and cheese. No pico, no refried beans, no rice, just meat, avacado, and dairy, as those are the most delicious ingredients. I will happily consume a salad alongside my burrito to get the vegetables.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Low-info voters and businesspeople (not mutually exclusive). I once overhead a product manager talk to another about how "awesome" Bloomberg's social media campaign was

E: also when canvassing I saw a few people that told us they were voting for him because they saw his ads and that was all they knew about him, again low-info

This. I saw ~5-6 Bloomberg ads per day every day while on the internet. It was hilarious, and a waste of money in many ways, but I can see where it would affect people who didn't pay a lot of attention.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ammanas posted:

describing mild, normal winters as nightmarish is lol. north dakota has awful climate
the pnw is just weather

the delta will be completely drained for socal and ag within a couple of decades friend
love them tunnels gotta water the desert

Have you met Californians? We get incredibly upset when the weather isn't 70 and sunny. 50 may as well be a blizzard in Antarctica.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Trump has nowhere near the death toll of GWB so proclaiming Bush some sort of arbiter of the halcyon days of decorum is not excusable because Trump is rude. Anyone who thinks GWB is "better" than Trump is someone who has a purely aesthetic view of politics.

I think a lot of GWB's stuff was better hidden and wrapped in a veneer of legitimacy, however thin it was. It's hard to rank the two due to how both are awful to different degrees in different ways, but they're both so far south of neutral that it hardly matters. I would personally rank GWB as being "better" at decorum than Trump is, even if it's comparing something like a D- to an F.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

I finally got fed up with how unruly my hair was last week and just used an electric razor to shave my head. Took five minutes and a helpful double check from my roommate that I didn't miss any spots on the back of my head. Not trumpeting it as a perfect alternative to a stylish cut or anything but it definitely improved my overall mood to not constantly be fiddling with overgrown hair. :shrug:

Who knows maybe I'll be ready for a haircut again by the time we're all out of lockdown!

Yeah, I'm tempted to do this as well. It's not like I'm going to be seeing anyone for any reason anyway.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

droll posted:

Do you think shutting down with no clear reopen date is the same as shutting down for 1 public holiday which has been known for decades in advance?

On the other hand, we shut courts down for natural disasters and the like. If there's a fire or an earthquake, nobody would expect the court to be in session. If there are riots and protests, it's not exactly out of the question for courts to shut down temporarily as well; few people would want to go to jury duty and then get out of court in the middle of a riot.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Irvine sucks and the police there suck rear end too. I have definitely seen black kids that are just walking down the street get stopped for no loving reason. It is supposed to be one of the safest cities in CA so when something does actually happen the cops are excited as gently caress to get some "action".

I swear I've seen 3 cars and 2 officers at a traffic stop before. They really really really like to hang around UCI at least.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

The Albertsons in Diamond bar off of Grand Avenue has a strict mask policy, and I love how much more comfortable I am shopping there.

The Albertsons near me in Irvine does as well, and I've never seen anyone complain about it. That being said, I don't exactly go there often during the pandemic and I don't stay long, so it's possible that people have been.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

My district had year-round teaching before I joined. From what I gather students and teachers were divided into four cohorts, one of which was on break during any given three-month stretch. The teachers loved it because it reduced class sizes, but it got the ax for budget reasons.

I had this in elementary school, and it was fantastic. Getting vacations throughout the year was great, though you could argue that it made making friends between the cohorts was impacted, since you wouldn't be on the same schedule. At the same time, you'd typically be closest to people in your class, so it wasn't a big deal.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I work for a biotech. If anyone wants some anecdotal evidence: we shut down hard, from 14,000 to just enough people on campus to maintain production lines, QC, and labs in phase II trials (about 600-650 people). Everyone else including contractors are WFH and getting paid even if they can't do real work from home. That's a substantial sum of money on idle payroll, and multinational megacorps don't do that unless the poo poo is actually hitting the fan.It's worth it to keep the workforce together for when normal happens again, but it's huge piles of cash.

I'm in a similar situation. We are cautiously opening up (~50% of workforce stays home on any day, adjacent cubicles empty, etc.), with temperature screenings, constant cleaning of surfaces, etc. Employees are encouraged to wfh if able (I work in a lab, so I need to go in ~50% of the time to do my job.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Are there any good rail lines for people in OC to visit LA? I generally regard anywhere north of OC to be completely off limits for driving just due to the hideous amount of traffic in the LA area (I also primarily know people in OC and SD, so I have no real reason to go to LA in the first place).

I love the coaster that goes from north county SD down to SD city; I take it virtually every time I go to Comic-Con to avoid parking and traffic, and whenever I decide to visit SD city to meet up with friends or family. Something like that would be nice for visiting LA once we're no longer in a pandemic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Is there a fire down in Orange County or is the smoke just reaching this far? The sky is overcast and orange, but I can't smell any smoke or see any ash.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I mean, it can be both. Decades of mismanagement, climate change, etc. create the conditions for a single spark to ignite a gigantic wildfire, and then some idiot goes out and provides that spark.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

How about we just remove Prop 13 from everything except for owner-occupied primary residences? No second homes, no rental homes, no transfers at the current tax rate (if you move your primary residence, you get Prop 13 protection at the rate you bought the new house for), no commercial properties. And only that as a concession to grandma who would actually be homeless if you made her sell her now-unaffordable house (and knowing that her pension/social security isn't enough to afford a rental).

Like everyone says, most of the wealth in the US is owned by the same 55+ year old ghouls that Prop 13 is supposedly protecting from homelessness. Are they poor and at the mercy of public welfare programs? Or the richest cohort in the history of the world?

For me, my concern is that if I and my neighbor both own homes with the same value, then we should be paying the same property tax. I don't give a poo poo about when they bought their property vs. when I bought my property. If we have what is effectively the same house, then we should be paying the same taxes on that house.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

Ballots are printed with the order of candidates shuffled randomly because otherwise the person at the top wins more. We are not clever apes.

Yeah, mine has Trump at the top spot and Biden at the bottom with Kanye in the middle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Last time I smoked, I'm pretty sure most people in within a block could smell it. The turkey was delicious though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

raminasi posted:

Tall buildings are supposed to sway in the wind.

What a building is rated to do by a civil engineer is still something that can disturb people, even if it's well within spec.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

I have a friend who's immunocompromised and is doing grocery delivery to avoid human interaction(in CA area, San Diego to be specific). They still want to be as ethical as possible within the constraints.

Is there any grocery delivery service that's less bad than the others, or at least treats employees better, or are they all the same degree of poo poo?

There are options where you can drive up, pop your trunk, and the employees there will load your trunk for you. A lot of older folks were doing that according to my mother (who is one of said older folks). That might work out for your friend, since they wouldn't need to leave the vehicle.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Celexi posted:

I haven't gone out to eat for a year and I am not missing it so far, what's with people seeing it as some sort of weird religion

It's a nice break from cooking, a chance to get out and enjoy yourself in the company of other people, and generally a portion of what you do when you're spending time with a significant other, friends, or family.

Being able to safely go out and get a meal at a restaurant would be a very refreshing thing, and a fairly large shift back towards normal for a lot of people. I definitely miss going out to meals with friends, and hell, just seeing my friends in person as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, I made an appointment to see a therapist when I moved back to San Diego five or six years ago and I've been going to appointments at his office ever since. Bing bang so simple.

I've had nothing but good luck with Kaiser doctors of all sorts, so hearing these stories is making me really, really, confused. Like, am I getting special treatment somehow to pad their numbers or just by mistake or what the gently caress? I swear on my hatred of Feinstein that I'm not a shill.

I'm in OC and same here; it's been one of the best healthcare experiences that I've had. Good mental health care, sleep studies, GP stuff, etc. No issues with coverage, some wait times, but all this was during COVID, so it's not exactly unreasonable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not disrespecting people who use it. My dentist also pushed a CPAP machine on me because I grind my teeth. I'm just blown away that such a huge percentage of Americans apparently sleep with one -- I hear people talk about them frequently on Twitter and now there's half a dozen people in this thread talking about theirs. It seems like a really invasive and prominent machine to me! I don't even like wearing a mouthguard!

I got one at the end of last year. Turns out that most of my depression/anxiety stemmed from being constantly fatigued for years, and feeling like I could never recharge. Now I get actual restful sleep and feel good instead of tired when I wake up. It's life-changing and a huge deal for people who need it. If you snore and you can get a sleep study, get a sleep study and see if you need one, because holy poo poo it makes a huge difference in terms of quality of life.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, I live here too, and yeah, it still is, sadly. Getting better, but still full of assholes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I didn't say 100% CHUDS. Just full of them.

Edit*

What is good about OC? Huntington Beach sucks compared to Long Beach. Disneyland is a blight, Irvine is also bleh.

A high concentration of the industry that I'm in, primarily. Also decent weather and a large number of different Asian markets and restaurants that make getting less traditional ingredients much easier.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cicero posted:

That's interesting, when I was in middle school, being in pre algebra in 7th grade was the more advanced track lmao. That path was

7th: Pre-Algebra
8th: Algebra 1
9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra 2
11th: Trig/Pre-calc
12th: AP Calculus AB

Was looking over at common core recently for my son and it does seem like grade standards are more advanced per grade now, even in elementary school. Multiplication and division start a grade earlier than I remember.

We had a similar advanced track but it went:

9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra 2/Trig
11th: Calc BC
12th: Calc D/Linear Algebra

School funding is such a weird issue to me. It seems like it should be such a simple slam dunk to actually fund schools at a high level, since it will pay massive, massive dividends a dozen years or so down the line. Granted, the dozen years down the line part doesn't get you reelected, so there's that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lung tissue isn't that hard to grow. It's the vasculature and implantation that is the real trick.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

I really wish underground homes were becoming more the norm.

Seems like it'd be a potential issue with earthquakes though?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FCKGW posted:

By all accounts the former loving mayor of San Diego Kevin Faulconer should have run away with the nomination but instead the GOP is a death cult and they crashed and burned spectacularly.

He positioned himself as a centrist which was should have been the right play to win over some disillusioned Dems but nope, it's the party of Trump now.

Anecdotally, I fielded a lot of questions from friends and family who were under the impression that if you voted No on the recall that you could not also vote on who would replace Gavbot if he were recalled.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It is a lot more upsetting to me than I would expect to see someone write down "5" instead of "the 5."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CPColin posted:

Keep telling us southerners to "take 5" places; we're just gonna get more and more relaxed

This. It also differentiates freeways and asking people to take 5 of whatever the gently caress happens to be in front of them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Weembles posted:

Your take is a perfect summary of the relationship between LA and SD. LA doesn't look down on San Diego, it just forgets that the state keeps going south of Camp Pendelton.

As someone who has spent much of my life in SD and OC, I treat anything north of OC as a hellscape of gridlock.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Smythe posted:

when I was a kid gasoline was always used as the example of an inelastic good lol

It definitely is to some degree. People need to use gasoline to get to work to earn money. Businesses need to transport goods to get paid. There's only so many cost-cutting measures you can implement in a short time period to reduce consumption of gas when the price goes up. You might be able to carpool, you might reduce the number of trips you make, but in the end you still have to buy gasoline to get from point A to point B, and some level of travel is unavoidable for a number of people.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

California Politics: The Rent Is Too drat High!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's also funny to me because going from north county san diego down to the city via the coaster is really pleasant, and I always see people taking the trains when I am (which, to be fair, is relatively rare). I far, far prefer taking the coaster down to san diego in lieu of parking because gently caress parking in the city. Give me more options for rail and I am all for using them. Hell, I'd love to visit more of LA, but driving there is a nightmare, so I just avoid it as a rule.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I read a good in depth article a couple of weeks back. Turns out that the senior leadership of the FDA only cares about drugs and directs most of the funding there. There are rumors of fixing that, but :shrug:

Yeah, you don't gently caress with the FDA if you're in the medical industry. They do have teeth, and dealing with warning letters and the like is very expensive and very much nontrivial for the company and its employees.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

A burrito needs only carne asada, cheese, and guac. Adding additional ingredients only serves to dilute the burrito.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Sydin posted:

Avocado tastes like poo poo don't @ me.

A good burrito tastes better than a good taco in a vacuum but for whatever reason I really do not like the smell of flour tortillas so I end up eating more corn tortilla tacos than burritos.

Just the worst possible takes on food. It's actually impressive.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I will never understand how Mexican food quality goes from absolutely amazing in SD to utter poo poo anywhere north of SD. You'd think we'd all have access to the same ingredients, and it's not like you don't have access to folks with the correct cultural background, but for whatever reason the quality nosedives into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

If you bring cursive back make it as part of an art class with big fountain pens. In that context cursive rocks. It’s just garbage when you’re getting told to do everything else in it.

I like this a lot. My handwriting has suffered over the years because I had to sacrifice precision for speed. Nowadays I basically scrawl out chicken scratch printed letters that are vaguely readable (granted, 99% or more of my writing is done electronically these days as well - even my signatures are electronic most of the time). But recontextualizing the script as something that can be beautiful lets you take the time to properly form the letters and make something neat.