Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Bast Relief posted:

Approaching Los Baños on our way to Yosemite we always run into these Jerry Brown crazy train signs and signs blaming Pelosi for the drought. Like all up and down the freeway. Has anyone seen those? Where the gently caress am I when I see that poo poo and who the gently caress is responsible for all those signs?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

https://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/oligarch-valley/ there's an excerpt near the end of this book on where they come from; they're astroturfed by valley oligarch billionaires

I mean, I guess maybe they're on the land those people own perhaps, but that's not where they come from. A guy named Russ Waymire puts them up: http://hanfordsentinel.com/news/signs-of-the-times/article_dba3e746-a9d0-11e0-afc2-001cc4c03286.html

My dad actually knows the guy. This is of course related to all the kerfuffle with the "Delta Smelt" and the reduced water being sent from the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Sydin posted:

I have a couple gigantic trees in my backyard (which as an aside I really want to get rid of for a variety of reasons, but my landlord gave a firm no so :shrug:) that grow right on top of the power lines. Once or twice a year PG&E drops a leaflet on my door asking me to unlock my gate so they can trim around the lines, and every time instead of actually trimming the tree back, they just cut all the greenery within a foot of the line. Sure enough, within a couple weeks everything they've cut has grown back.

PG&E just came out to do their trimming a month ago, and look at this poo poo:

Family has a small cabin up near Bass Lake... my... great grandfather built it by hand, probably with the help of a contractor; it had a very rustic look to it. Anyhow, PG&E used to come up and trim the trees back from the lines by the road all the time. They'd offer to cut down the trees fairly often iirc, and we'd decline, because gently caress you stop trying to cut down these really old trees. After the fire happened and burnt down the cabin (2.... years ago?), the trees near the road were okay, just the cabin and the stuff further back were burnt down. When the fire fighters were blocking everyone from going up, PG&E apparently went and cut down all the trees near the lines (They didn't have the mess of branches like you have though in the wires) along the road so they wouldn't have to trim them I guess, and not just our house, but our neighbors too. Last I heard a bunch of people in that area were trying to sue PG&E over that. The trees were probably like 50 years old and up.

So yeah, I guess it varies on who from PG&E is supervising the cutting of trees in your area or something.

Also nothing new but insurance companies are terrible to deal with and didn't want to pay out full coverage on the house unless we started constructing a new cabin almost immediately.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

PG&E Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection:

https://www.apnews.com/b9cf5113c46347f584564b8f763f31b2

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

Love too say that spending money on high speed rail is too expensive but the now-yearly devastating wildfires, exacerbated by climate change that will only get worse until every nonessential hilariously-polluting airliner is grounded, are nbd

I'm sure this will finally convince the moderate republicans to vote for gavin for his fiscal responsibility

In the valley? No. I don't see that ever happening, unless he reversed it. The best thing that Brown got from those-who-vote-for-republican was "in hindsight, he was actually not a bad governor". Though given the way elections work at the state level in California and the two candidates are going to be democrat, republicans might vote for him if he's running against someone who's further left maybe?

I don't know originally I thought this was going to get cut back to a HSR between San Francisco and Fresno/Merced, and it was going to deal with San Fran's housing crisis (I don't like that solution, being a valley resident). But just having high speed rail in the valley...? Eh... What's the point? It does seem like someone mentioned above that it's a last ditch saving effort not to have to pay back federal funds. That's not to say that there isn't -anything- going on over here, but I don't see much of a commute advantage, as opposed to say San Francisco to somewhere nearby with lower housing prices or LA to somewhere nearby with lower housing prices.

At the end of the day whoever decided to break ground in Fresno just so they can force the issue with a sunk cost (in face of the lawsuits and like) is a jackass, and that's why we find ourselves in this situation of building a minimum viable product in the valley rather than in a place that may have been better served by it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

The train can be enjoyed by the cowpoke counties, the next big California project is giving everyone Doctors visits while the rest of the country plans to gut their poorest.

Isn't that... optimistic? I mean last time Rendon deep-sixed SB-562. Is Gavin going to push it that hard, or just simply make more favorable noises when compared to Brown? Unless you think the makeup of the state congressfolk is going to shift that drastically?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Xaris posted:

Man as loving garbage as Feinstein is, Kevin De Leon is somehow even a bigger piece of poo poo by running the absolute worst campaign I've ever seen, intentionally just throwing it loving away! Like for gently caress sakes he ended up doing zero and still came out like 43% or something.

Kevin "Ghost Gun Campaign" De Leon

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

We can currently produce enough food to feed the world, but for how long given human-caused shifts in rainfall patterns and temperatures? Could we produce enough food to feed 8 billion+ without mechanized farming (probably, though it'd be far more human labor intensive), or without oil products? Can we transition from mechanized farming to non-mechanized while also dealing with climate change?

Wait, how did getting rid of mechanized farming come into this? Why would we get rid of mechanized farming? Alternative power sources maybe, but getting rid of mechanization altogether? Are we getting rid of mechanized everything else also?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

If it's meant in a broad sense of "modern farming practices", sure, but in the sense that "mechanized" means the use of machinery to handle many parts of crop prep, planting, maintenance, and harvest, that's another thing, especially in relation to climate change. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's the tractors and harvesters (which would be the mechanized component) that are large contributor to climate change rather than the rest of the practices, and especially when offset by the amount of workers that would replace that mechanized component who are probably taking their own individual vehicles to work out in rural areas (or even shared vehicles). There's also various farm equipment engine retrofitting programs in California to help upgrade farm equipment to be more environmentally friendly, though I couldn't speak as to the efficacy of or how well these programs are run.

That's what I was kind of raising a brow at. There's a lot of valid questions concerning the sustainability of modern farming practices.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Ah, okay. Yeah, there's a lot of questions on that.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Where can I find some good info on SB50?

What Sydin linked. Analysis is prepared for when a bill goes to committee (and maybe floor also?). Hit the Text tab to read the bill (the blue is addition, red strike through is removal. On the text page this reflects changes made via amendment from the last version of the bill. You can change the version on the top right pulldown. Today's Law as Amended tab gives you a look at how the current version will fit into surrounding statutes that it will occupy and also what it will remove/change. History tab shows you past actions, but I usually check Status tab which shows the last 5 actions and how far it is down the path towards being sent to the governor.

If you sign up for an account, you can also Track the Bill, and you'll get e-mail updates for specific actions when the bill moves (It doesn't track everything, but it tracks most actions). If you're feeling really nerdy you can lookup the videos for the hearing that the bill was voted on, and watch the testimony given by author, proponents and opponents, as well as comments by the committee. However, it's usually a 3-5 hours video and there's no tags as to when a particular bill is heard usually, so you have to skip around a lot.
Edit:
Senate Housing Committee on 4/2: https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/senate-housing-committee-20190402/video
Senate Governance and Finance Committee on 4/24: https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/senate-governance-finance-committee-20190424/video
My internet is poo poo, so I'm not going to find where they talk about the bill in either of those.

That's more or less what I learned when trying to track bills in California. The analysis that's prepared won't give everything on a bill but it will give a pretty decent overview of what proponents/opponents are arguing, along with changes it would make relevant to that committee that the analysis was prepared for. It's fairly thorough, as far as executive overview type stuff is and the timeline that said committee lawyers have to prepare the analysis in.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 30, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Shut up.

In California news the Senate just passed a bill authorizing state banks for marijuana businesses. Don't know all the deets but that would be a huge loving deal for the industry if it happens. The lack of banking access is keeping a lot of people in the illegal market.

SB-51
The TL;DR is in the bill Analysis pretty much. (I'd quote it, but it's kind-of long and you might as well just check the PDF)

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB51

Current Version if implemented into law (blue for additions, red strike through for removal): http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB51

Bill Analysis, with the latest one from the Senate Floor: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB51

Looks like it had a large enough cost and made the suspense file cuts, so that's something... though Hertzberg is the author, and he's California Senate Majority Leader and on a bunch of committees so it was probably fairly easy for it to get passed out of the suspense file.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 22, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

VideoGameVet posted:

The Starbucks there is probably the best bet. I'm sure they have some sort of code, but it's busy and you would get in if you just waited for someone to exit the head.

I thought they just posted the codes on the doors now? After that whole situation they had at that one location that made national news. Or do some Starbucks still keep the codes hidden?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

That isn't even remotely the same. I looked at his campaign website, and what he wants to prosecute ICE agents for is conduct that pretty indisputably falls under the scope of their official duties. Because of the supremacy clause, the SF District Attorney doesn't have any jurisdiction to investigate that conduct. If he believes a crime has occurred, he would need to refer the matter to federal prosecutors and the relevant agency's Office of the Inspector General, and I don't think they share his belief that rigorous enforcement of immigration law constitutes a federal crime. Like, let's put aside the impossibility of SFPD actually arresting ICE agents for official acts, how would he even propose conducting such an investigation in the first place? Does he think ICE agents will sit for an interview with his investigators? Does he think that a judge will sign a search warrant for the immigration office on Sansome?

Also, CBP has like 20,000 uniformed agents, so 243 of them being arrested per year for all offenses isn't exactly staggering. It's not great, it's definitely more than some other federal law enforcement agencies, but I'd be curious how it compares to, say, the LA County Sheriff's Office, or the SFPD itself.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't understand the hair you're attempting to split. It is possible to break state laws in the intended service of some federal mission. Immigration agents do that, and are sometimes been arrested for it, and sometimes not. Why are you trying to defend an inconsistency in the application of the law?

I am not a lawyer, but of course Chesa is, and as someone running a city-level grassroots political campaign, he's very easy to run into and ask questions of. It all seems like putting the cart before the horse to me, but you're welcome to ask him for details.

From the site:

quote:

Investigate and prosecute crimes committed by ICE agents.

It is no secret that many ICE agents have used illegal tactics in San Francisco to wage Trump’s war on immigrants: They have conducted warrantless raids, violating important constitutional protections that apply to non-citizens and citizens alike; they have used racial profiling and excessive force; they have deceptively posed as local law enforcement officials to try to garner trust from residents; and they have illegally obtained confidential documents to spy on and detain targeted immigrants.

Nobody is above the law. That’s why the Immigration Unit will investigate these abuses, and when ICE agents break California law and endanger our communities, they will be prosecuted.

I contacted them using the contact form (I hate contact forms). I told them some people were excited about the campaign, but were having a discussion and I asked about how they mention in the quote above going after ICE for violating constitutional protections and the like (probably federal stuff), while also mentioning at the end that they'd go after them over breaking California law. I talked about how the Supremacy clause seems to cause issues with these attempts, and I asked if they perhaps had some cases they wanted to cite, or talk a bit more about how they were going to go about doing this (but I didn't need a legal brief or anything, just a better idea on how this would work). This is the response I received.

quote:

Dear BeAuMaN,

Thanks for reaching out and glad that your friends are excited about our campaign. Of course the supremacy clause means that federal law trumps state law but only when they conflict - the supremacy clause does not give federal agents authority to violate local criminal laws. So, for example, if ICE agents unlawfully arrest immigrants in San Francisco (and BTW ICE agents make unlawful arrests all the time - Chesa successfully sued ICE for unlawful arrests when he was in law school) then criminal charges may be appropriate. Depending on the details of the unlawful arrest:
Penal Code section 236 (false imprisonment)
Penal Code section 273a (child endangerment)
Penal Code section 148 (obstruction of justice)

and so on. It will all depend on the details and any lawful action by ICE agents will not be prosecuted. Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Kaylah Williams
Campaign Manager
415-723-5095

Not as thorough as I'd like, but that's their answer. You can contact them for more info and in this case I received a response within a day and a half, which is fairly quick.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I understand that. I just thought I'd post the response I received. I'm not in Chesa's area, but the question on prosecuting ICE agents and the Supremacy Clause is interesting, so I thought it was worth asking the campaign at least.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

So, I'm arguing that, if we are going to ban assault weapons - and I think we should - then confiscation would be necessary to give such a ban any chance of being effective.

Then, as a follow-on argument, I'm saying that a bunch of gun-owning people are so ideologically hosed up that they would rather die trying to murder cops, than give up their assault weapons. I think that's likely. I do not regard people like that as "innocent." It's tautological that if you are doing something that is not a crime, you are not a criminal, and that if you then make that thing a crime, those who are now doing that thing are criminals; and it's simple to label such a change as "criminalization of the innocent." But consider in theory a society where murder was not illegal, and then they passed a law making murder illegal; you'd be similarly "criminilizing the innocent."

To put it another way: if we, as a society, decide that civilians shouldn't own these guns, then it is evident that we are also deciding as a society that people who own such guns, and won't give them up, cannot be "innocent."
Okay... So... just to be clear here: In a confiscation scenario, how many people in California do you think would be non-compliant? As in how many are going to be involved with possibly violent confrontations with the state? Let's say over a 3 year period of confiscation or something. If the answer is "I don't know" I mean ballpark how many people you were imagining when you wrote that.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yes, this. Though I'm going to finish my point, since I only wanted to address this one thing

Leperflesh posted:

But that last paragraph is all just wishful thinking and hand-wringing about impractical and theoretical situations we can't possibly face in the near future. I probably made a mistake just to engage with the ideas there, because it detracted from the important points; that while horrifying, mass shootings are not a major or leading or statistically significant cause of death, and our policies and laws should rationally focus on the most significant deaths and how to prevent them. When it comes to violent deaths related to guns, that's suicides first and foremost.

Right. I always try to imagine other people as engaging in good faith, so I believe that you and I are imagining different levels of non-compliance, hence why I wanted an idea of what you were imagining, and like you say: It is highly theoretical and there's not a great way we can estimate what kind "cost" that a newly defined "Assault Weapon Ban" would have. I imagine non-compliance would be... substantial. While I understand you're talking about a federal ban so as to try and cover scenarios where firearms flow in from out of state... I talk about California specifically because we did have another AWB (passed in 2016) recently, and while you brought up that it isn't very effective, I think we can glean a bit from numbers and compliance.
Bear with me as I link the Firearm's Policy Coalition. They made this page with an infographics about the registration and how the registration is a failure, etc etc.

Of those stats, they estimate that compliance (That is, people that attempted to register) is about 3%. This is a -bit- dubious because they compare the total number of AW applications (64,612) to the number of firearms sold that would theoretically fall under this ban (1,300,000) along with an estimate of "home-built" firearms that would fall under the ban (500,000) for a total of ~1,800,000 new firearms in California from 1/1/2000 through 12/31/2017. I believe the 1,300,000 number comes from comparing the data from the referenced CA Open Justice Page on firearm sales, which lists about ~5.31 million long gun sales and ~5.28 handgun sales for that period, and further separates out new versus used firearm sales... and from what I've read elsewhere they compared these total long gun sales to industry sales data from the NSSF (which isn't completely available to the public), probably of various models that are "California Compliant" firearms with bullet buttons, and came up with that 1,300,000 number. Most of these falling under the ban, probably like 90%, are rifles (There's a lot to be said about various laws surrounding handguns that makes the sale of "Assault Weapon" handguns much less likely during that period). No idea where they got the 500,000 home-made firearms number, though I imagine they contacted stores selling 80% lowers (or as DeLeon likes say "Ghost Guns") and got some idea on sales data. They then took that 64,612 and divided it by 1,800,000.

I say it's a bit dubious because you're dividing applications, which is people registering as applications can contain multiple firearms (and a single person can make multiple applications), by the number of gun purchases, which is just firearms transferred without any data on how many to one person or whatever. It should be a person to person comparison if you make that claim, however, that data is probably not available, or at least not easily available. If you were making a firearms to firearms comparison, there were 68,848 firearms registered (Not sure of that how many were ultimately successful), of the purported 1,300,00 and 500,000, which brings the number of firearms registered from the possible pool to 4%.

However! That doesn't take into account how many people bought compliance devices, similar to bullet buttons, that allow them to comply with the new statute and regulation. It also doesn't take into account those who decided to sell, disassemble, or move out of state their affected firearms so as to not violate the law. This data is not easy to come by. Thus, the pool of compliance would be larger than 4%. This is further complicated by the fact that the state spent no money on educating people about the registration process or deadlines; none of these ads like from 1991 (lol). Only notice given was on the CA DOJ website and if people read stories or saw it mentioned on the news by outlets.

Now, the reason I went through all this is we have imperfect data, but it gives us some rough bounds about how compliant people might be with one of these California AWBs that allow for registration and keeping the firearm until their death (at which point it must be sold, transferred or moved out of state, converted to a legal version, or destroyed/turned into police). We know that (if we accept the above numbers which are hard to verify) that the pool would be larger than 4% for people that used compliance devices and what have you, and if there were more education and information campaigns (thinking about it... I should probably look up what the estimated compliance rate was for the 91 CA AWB), the compliance is higher 4% but we're not how much. How does that change with a proposed ban like you mentioned where the firearms are confiscated instead of grandfathered until the end of their life, and it's done house to house at gunpoint. Kind of related to this topic: I don't think that the confiscating officers would be local law enforcement (as there would be a lot of non-compliance I think from local agencies). I don't know what agency would actually go through with this, and if it's some sort of military (even National Guard), that brings about another level of.... social complexity?

TL;DR:
I think that the level of noncompliance would still be very high, and I also think that the level of violence would be higher than...

Leperflesh posted:

(snipped some context here)
I imagine that we'd have a handful of Waco-like situations nation wide, plus probably dozens of smaller cases of people choosing to fight rather than let the federales in to search & seize guns.
... in California alone. The 10-episode podcast series It Could Happen Here comes to mind (which I would recommend, even if I don't think all the positions taken in that podcast are quite realistic). However, as you say, there's a lot of variables that would change things to even get to the point where there was the political will to even institute such a measure. Either way, I hope this is found helpful or interesting.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 2, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'm not seeing Otisburg on this map.

(Though this is pretty nifty! Thanks for the book recommendation)

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Infinite Karma posted:

Couldn't we do something like requiring metering and add a use tax per ac-ft or something? Making it prohibitively expensive to waste water on alfalfa is just as good as taking the water rights away.

This is more or less on the way via the SGMA passed in 2014. It's mostly been in the setup stage until recently though.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

So what’s this thread’s take on Urban Growth Boundaries? They have been really popular in the North Bay, presumably under the “limit sprawl” line, as if these suburbs will see higher density and developers will more efficiently use their land. But the usual effect is that the Slow Growth movement becomes a No Growth movement, the thing often can’t be amended without voter approval or until it sunsets in decades, etc.

Wouldn’t vote for them myself, because they’re often used to create “green lines” of undeveloped fields between cities that are difficult to traverse without an automobile.

I mean I don't like the suburban sprawl around Fresno (which is the nearest large city to me) so yeah sure.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Sydin posted:

The fire in Calimesa was caused by a trash truck that dumped a load of burning trash that spread into vegetation, officials said.

"Oh poo poo, the garbage is on fire! I'll just quickly dump it on the side of the road, what's the worst that could happen?"
Stay safe LA Goons

Somehow I imagine this story will develop that it was also being dumped on a homeless encampment for Peak California.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

What if we build an app that will disrupt the political market? Instead of these stodgy politicians that you have to listen to, with my app, Votr, you can swipe right on your favorite politicians and immediately give them a bribe donation!

Does swipe left immediately send them to a guillotine? You might have a business model there.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

I have very little sympathy for that couple, but it is bullshit that there's an appeal process for the appraisal of a house that is sold, but they can't access that appeal process because they don't live in the house they sold. That's going to bite a lot of other people on the rear end too, and property appraisal is itself often a kind of shady practice. Comps matter, but most appraisals don't even bother to go inside the house, so they can totally ignore poo poo that matters a lot like whether the kitchen is a dump or a fresh remodel.

What I'd like to see is the courts telling the county that they have to let the former owner of a property appeal its appraisal, but then after their appeal the appraisal still comes in low enough that those people have to keep paying tax; and of course, obviously, prop 90 is poo poo and should be repealed. Old rich people don't deserve special lower property taxes.
Roughly the same take here. I get pissed off about bureaucratic BS that pretty much denies due process like they claim but, y'know, $13 million is a lot of money so my sympathy is the tiniest violin kazoo.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Boot and Rally posted:

Does this mean that if people were able to set PG&E executives houses/money on fire, PG&E would stop setting our houses on fire?

Only you can prevent forest fires... by setting PG&E Executives on fire.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Warren Buffett’s “the generous billionaire” image doesn’t exist on Nevada after he bought Nevada Power around 2010. Mostly because they tried to put the screws to rooftop solar by adjusting things so people who paid to have solar wouldn’t recoup their losses for over a decade.

How'd he do that? Was it a decrease in rates from putting energy back onto the grid?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Generous "net metering" in which people with panels get paid per kw they feed back to the grid at the same rate they'd pay for drawing power, doesn't scale up because it ignores the cost of the infrastructure. So, after offering net metering to intice homeowners to install solar for a few years, you then use that argument to yank it back and only pay a small amount for that power.

Anyone anywhere deciding whether to buy solar should assume a net metering deal being offered to them is temporary.

Is the small amount paid for excess house (and probably business roof) solar equivalent to what power generation companies get paid? I know I've at least heard that in California, while the amount paid is low it's supposed to be somehow related to spot market price., but I'm not too familiar with the specifics.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

I believe so but I'm not 100% sure. Could be some complication there. But if you think about it the efficiency per kilowatt hour of generation by a large power plant is far higher than rooftop solar, so effectively a rooftop solar install being paid the same rate is much less profitable for the homeowner than the owner of a power plant.

Basically, though: rooftop solar is a big win where there's lots of sun and lots of electricity usage, even if you get nothing for feeding back to the grid: but the expansion of rooftop solar complicates grid operation enormously (unexpected added power onto a grid makes it harder to manage the grid) and aggressive sales tactics by rooftop solar companies has led a lot of people to do fairly marginal installs where the years until the cost pays for itself is super dependent on net metering rates and can go from 10 years to 25 years with a single change by the state... and those changes are inevitable in any state where rooftop solar is expanding significantly. Unless you think the state or a utility is going to treat net metering as a lossmaking subsidy for rooftop solar indefinitely even as profits for the utility dwindle.

Which might even be good policy in some states, I dunno. But we've yet to see it and I'm skeptical we ever will. Utilities are going to go to their regulators and show the fairly straighforward math of how the upward trend of rooftop solar forces a downward trend in revenue but also an upward trend in grid management costs, and the inevitable point where the lines all cross and the utility is bankrupt, and regulators are unlikely to make the choice of "welp OK the state will start subsidizing the utility at an ever-increasing payout at that point."
Thanks for that.

Have you read anything on how much more expensive it is to manage the grid from a bunch of rooftop solar (from combined residential and commercial) compared to a dedicated power plants? Since I mean California really has peak sun in a lot of areas in the state (even if rooftop panels on residential aren't installed at the most efficient angles for maximum solar capture), and there's a lot of that peak sun during the hot months while there's also peak electricity demand (from everyone running ACs) which we use booster plants to meet that demand afaik. Seems like at least during those months it would be a win-win; especially utilizing marginal space to boot. I ask since you seem to be well read on the topic.

Though yeah from my pv install and pv design classes (part of the electrical program here, though we didn't cover anything about the utility end stuff) if someone was dumping money to buy a residential system the math didn't pan out from a purely financial point (compared to... I think it was investing in CD accounts or bonds or whatever) unless they had a lot of household energy consumption, though obviously people aren't just motivated by financial concerns. At least the panels these days seem better and the installation practices and options also seem better (Lots of panels wired in series when I did that class which was terrible for partial shade, and a lot more plug and play now), though I never looked back on if that turned into a better deal for consumers or not. And yeah screw the aggressive panel pushers.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

CopperHound posted:

Does your old one use the screw on pink disks? Let me know how it compares in regards to how easy it is to breath in and comfort during physical exertion.
I'd be curious about this too, though I recommend the usual 3M 7000 series facemask: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUULW/
(That link is for the large size, other sizes have different product pages). However, the pink 2091 p100 discs are actually the old model p100 filters. New ones are the 2291 p100 that are white with pink webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHG2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They use 3 layers instead of 5 while supposedly achieving the same filter performance (or so the brochure says), and of course this makes it easier to breath. The webbing is to make them a bit sturdier. I noticed a difference though between the new ones and the older pink ones, and the new ones are indeed easier breathing
They also offer the 2297 P100 filters which have added Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief and for some reason are slightly cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
(While the p100 filter quality shouldn't have a shelf life, I think the Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief feature does have a shelf life, though if they expire it just means that feature doesn't work afaik. Everything aside from the p filter rating has a shelf life iirc)

Though I ponied up and paid for a 3M Ultimate FX full face mask for whenever I have to do tractor work, and given my terrible allergies it gets used for any yard work that kicks up a bunch of stuff.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 31, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Did anyone ever math out how much non-HSR train we could have got with all the projected money we're expecting (or expected, given the plan has changed a number of times) to spend on HSR? How much of those budgets are land acquisition costs (Like a rough fraction)?

I know this stuff isn't quite straight forward.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 2, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Just going to bring this up respirators one more time in case anyone needs half face masks because California Never Not On Fire... the 3M ones I mentioned just dropped down to their Amazon historical low price of $12.65 a piece (not including filters which are linked in the quote):
Medium: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Large: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUULW/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BeAuMaN posted:

I'd be curious about this too, though I recommend the usual 3M 7000 series facemask: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUULW/
(That link is for the large size, other sizes have different product pages). However, the pink 2091 p100 discs are actually the old model p100 filters. New ones are the 2291 p100 that are white with pink webbing:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHG2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They use 3 layers instead of 5 while supposedly achieving the same filter performance (or so the brochure says), and of course this makes it easier to breath. The webbing is to make them a bit sturdier. I noticed a difference though between the new ones and the older pink ones, and the new ones are indeed easier breathing
They also offer the 2297 P100 filters which have added Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief and for some reason are slightly cheaper:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
(While the p100 filter quality shouldn't have a shelf life, I think the Organic Vapor Nuisance Odor Relief feature does have a shelf life, though if they expire it just means that feature doesn't work afaik. Everything aside from the p filter rating has a shelf life iirc)

Though I ponied up and paid for a 3M Ultimate FX full face mask for whenever I have to do tractor work, and given my terrible allergies it gets used for any yard work that kicks up a bunch of stuff.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Pump Jockey posted:

Next we will see American flags with the stripes replaced with live and grounding wire colors.

The Thin Bare Wire.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Also, even setting aside public transit, why does almost every restaurant in San Jose shut down at like, 8pm?

How is it that Fresno restaurants stay open later than San Jose? You should tell people in San Jose this and they should feel offended.
(I still get annoyed that things close at 10 or 11 in Fresno on non-fridays but I'm on a night shift clock so, as that's the the closest place for me to drive in for restaurant food)

So where in San Jose closes that early? It's not everywhere right?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

mocking groverhaus should be considered public domain

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Anza Borrego posted:

Ahem, the gate must be self-closing and self-latching to meet code. Wouldn’t want small children accidentally guillotining themselves!

There's also a Guillotine Safety test, a background check, 10 day waiting period, a Guillotine Safe Handling Demonstration, state fees, and Licensed Guillotine dealers charge their own fees. If you decide you need a pocket guillotine then you need to get a Concealed Pocket Guillotine Carry License, and there's a background check, training and fees, and the ease of getting one issued depends on how the locality feels about issuing such licenses to proles.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Cabbit posted:

Moreover, why does it need staircase resistant doors :abrathink:

Maybe because the Shover Robot won't believe Gavbot when he says he's protected.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

BallisticClipboard posted:

It showed up here during the fires but someone dropped a recommendation for a gas mask for the smoke. Seeing as everything lightning on fire will be standard from now on, I should buy it before the fires are back.

This was recommended by Admiral Ray:

Admiral Ray posted:

If the state enacted my Dirigible Housing Project this fire risk poo poo wouldn't matter. Everyone could ride the drifting air currents and watch as the ground far beneath them twists and chars under the intense heat of our sins.

I walk around 3.5 miles to and from work and man it's loving great. Love my lungs. This respirator -- gvs spr457 elipse p100 -- helps a lot, tho:

I recommended a 3M 7000 Series mask with either 3M 2291 or 2297 white or grey webbed p100 filters (instead of the standard pinks), or you could even go full face mask with an Ultimate FX but probably not necessary (And probably extra weird if you're using it around town or something, though I enjoy mine for tractor and yard work). All links in quote below:

BeAuMaN posted:

And no, I don't know how the GVS compares to the 3M. They're probably both good masks.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 10, 2020

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

For Sonoma specifically, keep in mind a significant amount of the largest city burned down and that decreases stock, reducing vacancy and making homelessness even worse. The local paper is full of how the residents who lost their homes keep getting screwed by contractors, while a mixed use project near my old home has been effectively cancelled because the developer feels the fires have increased the cost of materials and made a labor shortage. It’s hard to develop anything new when all hands are rebuilding what was already lost (and sometimes with lovely results.)

Probably getting screwed by insurance too if it's like my grandmother's experience in trying to get the old cabin rebuilt after it burnt down in the fire near bass lake. They basically said that it had to be rebuilt right away, on a schedule, or they'd pay out only half, and we had to float costs before reimbursement, and basically get a lawyer to make sure everything got paid out. Anyone having to deal with that while their out of a house and without having resources to do so would be pretty hosed.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

how feasible would it be to have a municipal pick up / wash / drop off for cotton diapers? commercial customers have those kinds of laundry services pretty affordably and municipal garbage pickup is already a thing. my previous post had me thinking about how disposable diapers are one of the most commonly shoplifted items because of how dumb expensive they are

I'd be curious how much water that would use and what quality water would be needed when doing it at a commercial/industrial scale.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Billy Gnosis posted:

So the question becomes just how lovely do your babies need to be?

Parenting classes should require their students shovel manure for a week to pass. Then they'll know they'll be ready (at least for the poo poo).

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I register as "no party preference." I swear in every previous primary election I had Dems and Independents on my ballot, but no Republicans. This year I had no candidates on my ballot, and my voter packet said I had to fill out a form and request a Democratic ballot, which of course I didn't see until yesterday.

Am I dumb or did they change how the party preference ballot works? Not that it matters, but maybe I could have pushed Tulsi to 0.8%.

What a pain in the rear end. They should just mail that poo poo out. I mean otherwise I like the fact that they're mailing out ballots, they have ballot boxes open 30 28 days before election and voting centers open 10 days before election, and they have drive up ballot boxes on election day. Like these are all good things, but you should get whatever crap you need mailed out to you.

(Are those changes state wide or just my county?)

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

Well this why the LA county number is so low.

RIP those healthcare workers too.
re: mask stuff
Googled related to this, and apparently the CDC strategy referenced on using old stockpiles of masks is this::
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/release-stockpiled-N95.html

Noteable:

quote:

Users should take the following precautionary measures prior to using the respirator in the workplace.

Visually inspect the N95 to determine if its integrity has been compromised.
Check that components such as the straps, nose bridge, and nose foam material did not degrade, which can affect the quality of the fit, and seal and therefore the effectiveness of the respirator.
If the integrity of any part of the respirator is compromised, or if a successful user seal check cannot be performed, discard the respirator and try another respirator.
Users should perform a user seal check immediately after they don each respirator and should not use a respirator on which they cannot perform a successful user seal check.
And then the tests from the batches: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/ppecase.html

As I mentioned in a previous post when people were asking about masks for fire, stuff like the N95 or n99 on filters out particulates, so there's no chemical filtration element (at least in cases run across), but only a phsyical filter that doesn't break down that easily. So the stuff they're worried about breaking down seems to be the straps and foam, and the stuff that goes against the bridge of the nose. If it's stored correctly it should be fine, and if they have people inspect the masks it should be fine.

(Also not an expert here, but I remember looking this stuff up when I was buying masks. Anyone who knows more feel free to call out whatever stuff in my post.)