Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Villain of the Week posted:

Kind of like global warming.

Difference is that people still don't believe in global warming. It's hard to disbelieve a 300-meter monster that's destroying the gently caress out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

Thy do it with video games too.

"You hold the high score in virtually every massively multiplayer online role playing game! :downs:"

"Can you get to level ten? *plays Prince of Persia*"

Video games are the absolute worst for this. If you're lucky, someone will be playing a game in the background with an applicable controller, the system is actually plugged in, and realistic sound effects will be coming from the TV. God help anyone who enjoys the hobby if games have even one iota to do with the plot of the movie/episode, because then it's just gibberish.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just watched "It's a Disaster", and I'm getting really tired of disaster films like this where people don't survive. Personal preference, I suppose, but it's just tiring, especially when the government never seems to be able to do anything about the disaster in question.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

Hey buddy, you sound like my childhood :hf:!

One of my favourite little "inner workings of the empire" story was in a short story collection detailing the life and times of every tiny character you saw in the background of a scene in the first movie for 0.2 seconds (because of course that exists). It's about THE STORMTROOPER who uh has a line. I think it was the one in the desert going "hey we found the escape capsule but it's empty?!?!?!".

Well, his story starts on the imperial training facility planet which is a strange planet because it has ALL terrains (and not just desert, jungle, lava from polar cap to polar cap, go figure!). So they can train. In all terrains. With their All-Terrain Attack Transporters! (the walkers from the second movie for the less-nerds). He runs a session on the "wheel" of such a thing, walks happily over mountains etc., then gets attacked by a bunch of small fighters. They fly between his legs! He can't do poo poo! So he's like wait a minute, flips a few switches, the walkers bends its knees and the fighters can no longer go between the legs. He wins. Turns out it was a simulation. He's like "hey commanding officer Veers, wasn't that like totally awesome of me to recognize and battle that incredibly glaring flaw our giant walkers have?!"

Veers is like "yeah. Flaw. In our glorious empire walkers. Mhm."

And this is why our random stormtrooper ends up doing menial poo poo in the armpit of the galaxy, Tattooine.

See, it's funny, because it's actually pretty close to real life, I'd imagine.

Addendum: Veers is named because he's the dude you see for a second in the cockpit of a walker in the movie - the one Luke climbs up to and grenades. REFERENCES.

I remember that book, I really liked all that stuff. I don't know how canon it was, as it showed stuff like how Boba Fett escaped from the Sarlaac pit, but you get to see stories from points of view of, for example, the dancer that gets tossed into the Rancor pit in Jabba's palace, another dancer (I think this one is fat) who escapes after he's killed, some Jawa who is shot while trying to avenge his friend, etc. I liked those side stories.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ducttape posted:

In episode 4, the Millennium Falcon is barely able to keep ahead of star destroyers, and tie fighters swarm all over it. In 5 an 6, it flies circles around star destroyers, and dogfights with tie fighters. I can understand George Lucas doing this (he seems like the kind of guy who doesn't let internal consistency get in the way of the movie he wants to make), but I have never heard it even mentioned by the Star Wars fans who can explain in detail why making the Kessel run in 12 parsecs is an indication of its speed.

I think it's more an indication of its maneuverability and Han Solo's ability to pilot it. Something about black holes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Being in the military I've seen this happen. To me it's not all that unbelievable because I've seen people literally throw their whole meal in the air during their mad scramble to make it to a bunker.

I'd argue that's different though - in that situation it sounds like a few seconds could make the difference between life and death. In these situations, cop shows in particular, generally the window is much greater. Stuff like

Over radio:"We've got the perp"
Detective: *tosses away hamburger to drive to station*

Like, dog, let the guy steam for a couple minutes.

There's a game that sort of does the same thing called Sleeping Dogs, where no matter what food you eat or drink, you'll take exactly one bite/sip, then toss it away, and despite it being pixels, it irritates me just a bit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jedit posted:

John Romero programmed Doom. You're thinking of George A Romero.

Can you prove they're not the same person? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

I rest my case.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Technically happens in Max Payne (the video game, not the movie). Max has secured JUST enough evidence of the baddies' wrongdoings to preserve his innocence along with the help of the corrupt dude on the inside, but he gets arrested at the end of the game anyway because, despite being a cop, he did kinda go on a big gunslinging mobster-killing rampage through new york that ended with the murder of the CEO of one of the nation's biggest pharmaceutical companies.

By Max Payne 2 he's back on the force as a detective so obviously it didn't stick v:v:v

It's because the guy that Max works with, one of the board of directors of the company (some old guy that begrudgingly helps him kill the CEO because it means moving up in the ranks) helped him out, otherwise Max would spill the beans. One of the final lines of the first game is something like "I knew he wouldn't let the charges stick, if he knew what was good for him". Or something. It's been a while.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bugs the poo poo out of me in any movie when someone needs blood, often for a magical ritual or something, and to get it they slice their palm open. Like, what the gently caress, that's a good way to permanently gently caress up your dexterity. Cut your arm, or a finger or something, don't drag a blade across your palm.

I know it's done in order for the prop knife to spit blood 'realistically', but have we really not made any progress in bloodening tools sfx in the past few decades?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm watching Once Upon A Time, and in the beginning of the third episode a princess and her prince are bouncing along in a horse-drawn carriage through the woods, their royal guard flanking them. But then, the carriage draws to a halt. The prince and princess exchange a few puzzled words, and then the prince exits the carriage to see a tree fallen across the road. Hmn. He approaches, and they study it for a few moments before he touches the log and says, "This tree didn't fall -- it was cut. It's an ambush!"

And then they're attacked.

Kinda lost the element of surprise there, didn'tcha? Couldn't you've moved any faster at all?

"Jim! Jim wake up! The carriage we've been waiting three days for is here! loving hurry up!"

I'm more confused as to why they had the prince get out at all. Like, the royal guard doesn't have enough initiative to go move the tree instead of waiting for the prince to check it out personally and announce his royal suspicions?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Slim Killington posted:

The "bitch" crack is what ruined it for me. It was a very important moment ruined by sophomoric writing. I don't care if you're writing to a ticket-buying demographic, don't ruin an otherwise good thing for all-time just because your target audience is 14. You're not 14, don't write like it.

Uh, this is a guy who specifically says, and I quote "They got my dick message!"

I really don't think him calling someone a bitch is far outside of his character. I don't know what his comic book persona is like, but Quill in movie form is clearly someone who never really grew up all the way.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Van Dis posted:

I don't like unnecessary misogyny in movies even if it's in character so I didn't like that line either

You must've despised Breaking Bad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

Or after years and years and decades and centuries and millennia of living on the moon, maybe they were just bored.

Nah man, the moon's a great place, you've got rocks, and, like, bigger rocks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

So much for spider-hyphen-sense I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

"Chinese" is frequently at least two, sometimes more, languages, usually Mandarin and Cantonese, which are mutually unintelligible, because white people still think "Chinese" is a language and not a language family.

I'd wager most people, white or not, think that a language someone speaks is named after the country it comes from (I've been asked while travelling if I speak American), unless they know specifically about that country and its dialect. Like, the Scots language for example is made up of a variety of dialects. Or various languages in the Middle East in different countries. Heck, I've heard the same comparison made between Quebecois French and Parisian French too, though I'll be darned if I know the difference.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Aug 20, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The thing dragging down Judge Dredd was how blandly he says "I am the law." There needs to be an exclamation point at the end of that, damnit!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

In Silent Hill, why is the evil explained? Like I get it, but Silent Hill is supposed to be a mirror of the person in it, having the demon girl makes a little sense, but the nurses, the miners, the bugs, the spitting guy, pyramid head and the super industrial hellscape don't fit, those are James' demons, not whatsherface's

Silent Hill, initially, was created as a manifestation of Alessa's psychic abilities, when she went through intense pain and into a coma or something. The psycho-analytic stuff wasn't added until Silent Hill 2. So the backstory of the movie is actually spot on to the game. As to why it's explained so bluntly, that's because someone at some point decided that audiences are morons that wouldn't be able to understand a plot with even the hint of subtlety in it.

The miners weren't evil, they were the town's residents. Spitting guy is actually a monster from SH1 - bugs are new, but you could, I guess, chalk that up to a fear of bugs on Alessa's part. Nurses are there because she saw a fuckload of nurses in her coma or whatever - they're also a big part of SH1 (they're not supposed to be sexualized, though).

Pyramid Head was used because he's 'popular', except the people that make these decisions never realize that his place is entirely with James. Unfortunately, he's become some sort of weird mascot of the franchise by people who don't understand it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

That's fair enough, the games didn't really start to shine until 2 and 3. I'm just glad they didn't make a SH2 film and poo poo on 1 instead for the most part.

Nah, they made a Silent Hill sequel but skipped straight to making GBS threads on SH3 instead.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I know, that's what I said. Silent Hill Revelation 3D is without a doubt the objectively worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I can't even say "well I can see what they were going for" in regards to it; it's just so mind numbingly stupid and bad that I can't even post what irritates me about it because it'd take up the next five pages of the thread and basically be a full synopsis. It's literal garbage. LITERALLY garbage. They dug that movie out of the trash as if it were an excavated dinosaur and were like "oh cool we can sell this to people".

Hey at least it had that cool freaky-rear end mannequin monster. I literally can't remember anything else from that movie, and I saw it in theatres. I think Heather basically teleported back home from the fog-world or something? Goddamn they had no idea what they were doing did they?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Then you get Primer where the characters understand what's going on and then the audience is left wondering what the gently caress they just watched (still my favourite time travel movie though)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Granted, this was 35 years ago...

gently caress

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mister Nobody posted:

Don't they show that same character in a later scene being kept alive but maimed and captive until they could send back in time?

He's tortured until his future self relents and turns himself into the hitmen sent to kill him (they carve the address into the past self's arm).

You could argue that because the past self and the future self now exist at the same time, that's why the changes occur to him the way they do, ie immediately and not retroactively.

But the movie itself tells you to stop worrying about it. It's not a time travel movie, it's an action flick that happens to have time travel in it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What kind of bugs me now is that with that logic, instead of simply disappearing at the end, Old Joe should've died on the spot, with a massive hole in his head. So he'd leave a corpse, just not vanish magically. Maybe? But whatever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Walking Dead is obviously full of irritating moments, but one that always bugged me as that Darryl hunts for food with the same crossbow bolts that he uses to kill zombies. All those squirrels have gotta be tainted.

This is actually very important - in the graphic novels an enemy actually infects the bolts and arrows they use, to rapidly kill anyone they wound. So, uh, Darryl would probably kill everyone.

I guess you could handwave that he cleans the bolts, but, gently caress. I wouldn't risk it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I just like to think that those gladiators are flipping off various people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The moment that the series became great was the moment they realized they could bring in the Rock and do some sweet double-team wrestling moves :hellyeah:

Seriously, I hated the F&F movies until they started marketing less towards gearheads and more towards people who wanted to see stupid car poo poo, like two cars dragging a giant loving safe down the road without any problems whatsoever with momentum, or seeing an airplane drive down a runway that is nearly 20 kilometers long. Or watching this international police cop do some sweet takedown moves.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It always bugs me in action movies when fight scenes just go on and on and on, with participants taking way more damage than should be possible to stand up from. We're talking about getting tossed across the room into a concrete wall and just getting up while shaking your head. Or fights where there are dozens of thrown attacks, but maybe one connects. I've always preferred the really quick fights that are over in moments.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Counterpoint:
The Raid 2. No person in the history of Earth could fight as long and suffer as many injuries but he just never stops. It's amazing and I don't think anyone would complain about how cartoonish it is.

Haven't seen the Raid 2, but did see the first one: what I liked in that was how, for the most part, people died quickly. The main characters got by because every guy that approached them was down in like two hits. The long, protracted battles, especially against that fu manchu guy, were so goddamn long though. They just kept hitting each other again and again and again, and it became intolerable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

bbcisdabomb posted:

I have problems watching NCISany show ever whenever they talk about anything remotely technical.

Sometimes, it's because you can't really get the point across to layman audiences without simplifying it to a ridiculous degree. Other times, they're creating a GUI in visual basic to track a killer's IP address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm getting really tired of the 'quirky, cute IT girl' thing whenever I see it. Like, this girl is very attractive and sexy, and super into computers (and a master hacker of course) that'd be a catch for any guy, even looks stunning in formal wear, but then she's like, kind of awkward and so apparently she's completely undesirable.

I guess this applies to a lot of 'quirky' female characters but I've been watching a lot of Arrow lately as my go-to turn-off-brain show, and that blonde woman sidekick's character is just so...ugh. She's written to be a nerd's wet dream.

Edit: Oh, and also Windows 8, Windows 8 devices everywhere. From tablets to phones to PCs, nothing else exists in the Arrow universe. Normally I don't mind product placement, but it's so obvious, whenever a device is handed to someone and you see the dashboard before whatever application is opened up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Mans posted:

Did you just diss Kinzie and Pam in the same loving post?!

Wait you dissed Cheryl. That's even worse!

I...don't know who you're referring to? Only Pam and Cheryl I know are from Archer, and they're awesome because Pam kicks rear end and Cheryl is loving nuts.

Google tells me Kinzie is from NCIS. Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. That's when I started noticing how annoying it was.

Edit: Wrong character, I'm thinking of that hacking girl from NCIS.

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah the AV Club had a good column on this subject a few months back.

This highlights some of the problems I was talking about, though it's more about the role of the women themselves, where I just am really tired of the character.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 7, 2015

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Late to the party, but the the name "Mimic" from Edge of Tomorrow is actually a holdover from the light novel, and it has nothing to do with their appearance - in the novel, I believe they're described as kind of froggish. Anyway, the name comes from their tendency to copy certain traits of local wildlife of the planet they're invading.

Also I think they're robots in the novel, sent by an alien race that is never actually shown. One big reason soldiers wear the suits is to protect them against some sort of nanobot pollution or something.

Maybe I'm wrong in this, this is all hearsay.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I think what bugged me most about Big Hero 6, despite quite enjoying most of the movie, is that there's this kid who has some sort of super-fabricator in his loving garage that can make anything including super nano-blades that slice through anything, chemical weaponry, vehicles, rockets, guns, and it's just ridiculous. I really liked the moment-to-moment stuff in the film, but goddamn talk about a super kid that can do anything.

Oh and everyone runs into battle while his 'ability' is riding something. Maaaybe should just stay back at base? Make more robots or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Radicals posted:

2) Terminator 1, first scene or so, Kyle Reese has just spawned in as an unarmed newb in the alley, corners a cop, turning his own gun against him and asks "What is the date!?" The cop obliges. Kyle urges; "THE YEAR!?" And the cop replies with "Whaaaaaaaa......?" Yes, because that is the craziest thing you've had happen to you all week, right? You L.A cops sure lead pretty quiet lives! And besides that, what kind of a reaction do you want from Kyle by saying "Whaaa?" to his face? Boy Kyle, you sure sound silly! Let my reaction show you how silly you are! Haha! Please don't kill me!

I think if someone drew a gun on me and asked me what year it was I'd be a little stunned, too. It's a peculiar thing to ask, like if someone drew a weapon on me and demanded I answer "WHAT IS THE COLOR OF THIS SHIRT I'M WEARING?!" I'd be pretty "whaaa" too, because I'd be certain I just misheard him.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Saw Chappie last night, and the complaints about the place's security definitely ring true. I mean, this is apparently a crime-ridden city, but there isn't enough security for a huge security firm to stop a carjacking of their most important programmer not five minutes outside of their compound. Also, Hugh Jackman's character was just comically villainous, even cackling as he tore a man in half. That said, I really enjoyed the movie.

Oh, though all the synopses and marketing I've seen about the film all make it sound like something completely different. It looks like it's trying to pass itself off as a movie where a single robot has to save mankind or some poo poo like that, and that is completely and utterly not the case. "Humanity's last hope isn't human", like, what? That's about as appropriate for this film as it would be for Bicentennial Man.

"In the near future, crime is patrolled by an oppressive mechanized police force. But now, the people are fighting back." What.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

I really don't understand the end to MIB3. J is fighting the bad guy on a gantry, gets shot a bunch and then jumps off said gantry with the bad guy. On the way down he turns on the time machine which takes him back like a minute but instead of just going back in time it resets everything? J isn't injured and the bad guy is back where he started. Then the whole scene plays out again but J is able to dodge the attacks for some reason like everything is playing back exactly the same.

Also I guess the movie thinks everyone will be okay with K murdering the bad guy after he surrenders?

That was a little weird to me, too. It didn't send him back in time, it just rewound it. So everything does play out the same, which is why he can dodge everything. Come on, time machine movies! Get yer tech straight!

And I don't exactly think that the MiB has a particularly lenient outlook on aliens who attempt to destroy Earth, not to mention all the other planets that evil fleet would've consumed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Except by then they had closed the loop. Time had been corrected and his future version was stopped. They could have just let it play all out again where he goes to prison and then goes back and J stops him.

I mean, yeah, they could have. But this fucker killed K (sort of), was responsible for the destruction of Earth (again, sort of), and was going to do it again. I don't think they had much respect for space law at that point. I mean, these guys are more like the space NSA when it comes to being 'legal' and stuff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Krinkle posted:

The last ten pages are all daredevil can someone get mad at literally anything else but daredevil? please?

My physics TA over a decade ago went off for several minutes of not-grading-our-goddamn-quizzes to say that Independence Day was poo poo because "if those space ships were 'a quarter the mass of earth's moon' they wouldn't need lasers to blow up buildings, just hovering there would tear the streets up due to gravitational forces" and it wasn't until later I rewatched it and realized they only said that about the mother-ship, not the monument-destroyers that came out of it.

It's kind of hurting my head thinking of all the tidal problems that an extra quarter moon would cause, though.

Maybe they'll explore the consequences of that in the sequel, coming out next year.

I can't believe there is an Independence Day sequel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My irrational irritation is that Liam Neeson and Liam Hemsworth are two people who are just a little bit different and this fact just sort of dawned on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

This is why I'm so sick of reboots and origin stories. I am so loving sick of the whole "I have superpowers! Oh no!" shtick.

Lets just loving get on with it. I wanna see somebody confident about their powers enough to wear bright spandex and go fight loving aliens and poo poo.