Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I've never seen it, and only know a little bit about the comic / movie. But given that the dude's history is a mystery, he makes a point to say what's behind his mask isn't important (I think?), and the dude is in a loving mask, yeah, it'd better that it pops off than if it doesn't.

lol, you are genuinely retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Len posted:

I guess my iimm with Hereditary is I'm apparently the only person who sat there for two hours waiting for something scary to happen.

the head scene was hosed up but not really scary

yeah but Id rather face one million gross creatures and psychos in masks than go through what peter did during the moments he sat there in the car after nearly clipping that utility pole. it may not be jump in your seat scary but it's extremely hosed up

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Samovar posted:

That scene, and the sound when Toni Collette sees the body made me want to throw up in horror.

upon realizing the cult was trying to break him down to the point of suicide, I just kept thinking that if it'd been me, they would have succeeded right there. amazing movie imo, ending included

Crespolini has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Aug 30, 2018

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

packetmantis posted:

I just looked up that scene and you don't even see anything. :shrug:

it's not about the gore

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

the humans arn't actually batteries, morpheus just doesn't know what he's talking about

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

when it comes to the matrix, 99% of the fan theories of 'oh i wish this is what really happened' is just what was actually the story if you go by the events depicted on screen, instead of worrying about director statements and other stuff that wasn't in the movies

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I'm more annoyed at how, in one movie, they introduce the cool idea of there not being a good/dark side to the force, then immediately discard it. Would've loved to see Rey embrace that idea and become someone elevated above the dual concept.

well yeah there's always just been one "side" which is just the pure and healthy force in its natural state, then there's the tumor/sickness called the dark side

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Maybe we could describe the Light side of the force as wind energy and solar and the Dark side as fracking and fossil fuels?

you could but i don't see why you'd want to

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Lucas' thing was always that it's totally black and white, good and evil.

as a concept, sure. good is good and evil is evil, that's just true. like the the force/god/the light is good, but the actual fallible jedi as an organization are still a dumb cult with a decadent temple & a slave army

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Push El Burrito posted:

Pretty sure she's said in a fight a person with a gun would kill a wizard.

She never did, but for some reason the idea just really appeals to people so it keeps getting passed around.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Len posted:

Saw the new Halloween today and I have some issues. They're all standard slasher flick things but here they are.

the whole point was to lure him in and burn him dude

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Len posted:

And? You saying trapping a standing up and looking at you Michael Meyers is better than burning a decapitated Michael Meyers? Because I'm pretty sure I know which I would prefer.

They didn't even watch to make sure he was dead

and you seem confused at why there werent bars on the windows or why the "safe room" could be torn open

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

CordlessPen posted:

I like this interpretation a lot more than the alternative. It feels kind of weird and arbitrary if the monsters are actually "invincible" but the hero kills it with a technicality.

Tangentially: In Return of the King, there's a prophecy/phrase/whatever that says Nazgul can be killed by no man (which unfolds into the clever denouement of being stabbed by a woman and a hobbit), but it always seemed like an odd way to phrase a prophecy in a world where "man" is only one of many, many races. Like, it implies that it could be killed by an Elf, a Dwarf, a Hobbit, an Ent, etc. It's like we had a prophecy in our world that the antichrist could be killed by no Canadian.

No man will kill him, not no man can kill him. There's a big difference.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

The season of Lucifer that I watched had a season-long plotline about God's wife escaped from Hell.

???

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

didn’t he pass multiple guards on the way up? And what is he gonna say, “Oh hey Dany had a heart attack and then the dragon carried her away. That’s it.”

just tell them she flew for a while? the dragons gone and jons not burned to a crisp so what else could have happened?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Pirate Captain posted:

There's a big pool of blood on the floor

Take a dump on it then, jeez

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Not only does he murder his own father, he then goes on to destroy metropolis rather than come to a peaceful compromise with general Zod. And this is a hero?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

If you saw Skull Island, Kong is much taller at least.

Even then, I don't know how they'll pull it off either since KOTM was a loving horrible mess to start with so who cares about a Kong showdown? I guess they'll emphasize Kong's speed and whatever, along with his bigger size, and have him get Godzilla on land or in a jungle where he can have an advantage but then again there's...

Jesus christ why am I typing this?

godzillas about 3 times bigger than the kong of skull island

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

if baby kong could take out the mega-skullscrawler, how'd his parents get murdered so hard? were they just super chumps?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yogi Bear says “ he’s smarter than the average bear” but really how smart is the average bear? Kind of like saying I’m taller than the average dwarf.

Yogi is himself a bear. It would only be equivalent to say if you were actually a dwarf, in which case being taller than your peers might well be meaningful. Really, you must think these things through.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, I mean he died for *ALL* our sins, so I guess that covers any multidimensional or alternate timeline sins too.

Yes, but in other dimensions he usually appears as a Lion.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

If you've seen the movie In Bruges theres a bit where they visit a church claiming to have some of Christs blood, and that church really exists and will they'll absolutely tell you they've got some. They put on parades and carry it around the city and everything.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least nowadays with Greek mythology you're more likely to see Ares as the bad guy. But to be honest they're all assholes.

Ares was such a chump. Whenever people say Greek and Roman myth is just the same thing with the names switched around, I just want them to take half a look at how different Ares and Mars are actually portrayed. Idiot Angry rear end in a top hat vs Cool Strong Daddy, etc.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Man-Kzin Wars had this.

The Kzin were big cat version of Klingons. They were all about the prestige and honour of adding a new planet to their empire and maybe even being able to rule it.

Then they met humans who did scorched-earth tactics, like spending 10 years accelerating an asteroid to a significant fraction of light speed and smacking it into a planet. Or dumping virus bombs and polluting partially terraformed worlds, rendering them uninhabitable. And suicide bombing. All the totally dishonourable poo poo we excel at.

I mean, "honour". First contact was, IIRC, a kzinti warship realizing a human ship was unarmed and couldn't fight back, so they decided to disable the engines and slooowly cook it with an energy weapon.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

That Italian Guy posted:

There's a good Folding Ideas video

Okay, I know this is the SA forums, home of the poison womb and 9/11 parody gifs and we all like to clown around but... let's not cross the line now, huh? Some things you just don't joke about.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can we at least agree that Ash and Bishop were far more interesting than David?

No? Like maybe Ash, and probably not, but Bishop isn't even in the running.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ianmacdo posted:

My irritating thing is when a cop ends up with a gambling debt to mobsters, and then the mob is like you gotta coverup/do these crimes or we will kill your family. The shows want the cops to be the good guys, so they can't just go, do these crimes, and we will pay your debts, because then it is too much like a bribe.
So they always lean into threats, but if they are going to go straight to the threats why does the mob need the debt in the first place?
Also I would think having a non-bribeable cop with a large debt would be a problem for the mob, not a problem for the cop.
Like what if the cop just doesn't pay, and tells their superiors? What is the mob going to do?

Probably the cop wouldn't like having to explain how he got heavily in debt to the mafia?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

On the surface it's illegal to gently caress

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They have some kind of vr sex. Just because it's incomprehensible to the violence-boomer cop doesn't mean it's actually bad.

No, it does.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

HopperUK posted:

e: here's the Dore engraving of the tenth plague. Look at that angel, no fucks given.

drat, that's cold

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SimonChris posted:

My main problem with every single Dune adaption so far is that they all have the Baron Harkonnen floating around in the air like an idiot. The Baron Harkonnen does not float! The suspensors simply decrease his weight enough for him to walk.

Floating owns, dumbass.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but like why not make them 9ft tall and bulletproof skin? Or have extra arms or something.

Seems weird that the ideal army would just be a bunch of humans.

why not give them powers like superman

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

sassassin posted:

Why would Palpatine want his clone army to be super-powered? They're not supposed to win any wars, just fight some crummy battledroids to a standstill for a few years while the Jedi wear themselves out trying to keep an entire galaxy in check. Did no one watch the movies?

Jango was a mercenary with no underlying health issues, and the Kaminoans clicked print 1,000,000 copies with accelerated ageing and a whole lot of brainwashing. Once the civil war was over the Empire switched from clones & droids to conscription of the people themselves, which is obviously the cheaper and more effective way to control populations.

okay, but then why wouldn't he give them dog-heads like the god anubis?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The Last Duel: was it really necessary to make matt damon have a mullet

It certainly was.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

HopperUK posted:

Also is the only acceptable message now 'if your family is messy and hosed up because of generational trauma, cut them off forever'? Is forgiveness never acceptable in any story?

on these forum 100%.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

moonmazed posted:

"speaking authoritatively on things you know nothing about" wasn't an invitation

He's completely correct wrt translations though?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas was written in english, by an english speaker and is not a translated work.

That doesn't really matter in this context.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

moonmazed posted:

i don't drink really. i don't see how you can see someone expounding at length about how water "opens up the flavor" like it's some kind of magic loving spell

that's the part that seems like magic to you? you're going to freak the gently caress out when you learn about magnets

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I was there for that time where he pretended to be into LA group bike rides for like 2 weeks and surrounded himself with the biggest dickheads in the scene, shot a music video together, then never rode a bike again

No! Noo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

rydiafan posted:

In a world where anyone can look like anyone if they have a few strands of hair, I'm surprised everybody didn't guard their sheddings like the guy in Gattaca.

In a world were anyone can look like anyone, saying "that wasn't me" would be considered a pretty strong defense I'm guessing.