Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Grabbed a few things when I was in the City yesterday.

From the Series 2 of the Kidrobot Futurama blind box Series 2: Fry as Captain Yesterday

The first issue of the first comic book series that I'm ever committing to.

From The Strand

I seem to have an addiction to buying books from this place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Vincent posted:

Getting my read on

Can I get some info on that edition of This is How You Lose Her? I love Junot Diaz (with maybe the exception of Oscar Wao) and that edition is just awesome.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

leidend posted:

UFC 14

Great looking game but I'm surprised at how limited the player creation tool is. None of the preset faces look like me, Gustafsson (on right) is much closer but there's no option like him. Why are us aryan motherfuckers always getting the short end of the stick

I'm not sure if it's DLC or unlock-able or something but you can play as Bruce Motherfucking Lee in this game. I just saw it in my new Entertainment Weekly. So that's pretty awesome about this game.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Grabbed these books when I was at The Strand last week.

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief

The Bobby Gold Stories

The Rules of Attraction

What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

This is one of my favorite books that I read last year! It's really fantastic.

A friend of mine said that she read it in three days and was the best book that she read this year. I'm so looking forward to getting into it next.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Went into the City last Saturday because I was doing something up at the Met later in the day, so I headed downtown first.

From The Strand

Tampa by Alyssa Nutting

The Spectular Now by Tim Tharp

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (which I have never read)

The Archaeology of Home: An Epic Set on a Thousand Square Feet of the Lower East Side by Katharine Greider

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

From Forbidden Planet

Hip Hop Family Tree Vol 1

Hip Hop Family Tree Vol 2

Also two issues of United States of Murder, last months and this months

These sneakers from the Adidas Performance Store.

I'd say that it was a good day.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
My last round of pick ups for a while.

From Powell's Indiespensable program.

The Bone Clocks

Magic for Beginners

From The Strand two weeks ago after a walking tour

Acceptance

Making the Mummies Dance

Role Models (it's marked as used, but it's signed. So someone made a mistake)

From The Brooklyn Book Festival

The Gods of Gotham

The Vacationers

New Jersey Noir

Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics

Brooklyn Was Mine

10:04

So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures

Dirty Daddy: The Chronicles of a Family Man Turned Filthy Comedian

How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets

I'm pretty much not grabbing any books until after the Holidays. I have a feeling that there's going to be another book from Powell's before the end of the year, but we'll see.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

Great book. In my opinion, Lerner is in a league of his own right now. There aren't a whole lot of authors who can write both poetry AND prose at that level.

I'm glad to hear that. I had the chance to hear him speak at the Brooklyn Book Festival this past weekend and was intrigued by his writing style. I guess that I should get his other book too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Merica posted:

This weekend putting a deposit down on an order for this:

2015 Dodge challenger scat pack

with this interior that no one has on the lot

Should come in around thanksgiving then RIP my wallet

Edit: I really wanna get MERICA as the license plate bc nothing more Murican than an unnecessary amount of horsepower for me to drive to and from work.

Should have put down the extra money for a Hellcat.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought this to fill the John Green-shaped hole in my heart. My friend said it was pretty good, I'll see for myself.

I pretty much lost it in the last three chapters. The whole drat book is an 80s music love letter. Its so good, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

EDIT:

Naked Lunch is pretty much a clusterfuck of a book that works for some odd reason. Its very weird and very good.

Humans of New York is probably my favorite photo book ever.

screenwritersblues has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jan 3, 2015

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

You should make a honey spice cake with your bundt pan, they are really good if you don't bother trying to make it traditionally.

edit. Tickets to see Murder By Death

Day before valentines day, time to introduce my soon to be wife to one of my favorite bands.

Edit 2: Also a steak dinner and a trip to the museum to see an Alice In Wonderlands exhibit I saw on the local news, they have a comparison against the original copy's artwork and the first publication plus a bunch of other cool stuff.

I've been trying for years to see them. I just keep hoping that they'll play somewhere in NJ. All the shows are either in Philly or NYC.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Homeless Bebe posted:

400 dollars of ebay but well worth it imo.

$400?! Who made them? GOD?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Finally got back to the city after four months off (I usually go back in March, but the weather was real weird, so that didn't happen)

From Flight Club

Nope I can't afford poo poo in there, except for hats and I am a Dodgers fan. I was pissed when a kid who wasn't paying attention spilled some coke in the bag, but I managed to save it. The underside of the brim is messed up, other wise it looks fine.

From the Strand:

The Beautiful Indifference which was a Staff Recomendation and they know their poo poo when it comes to good books.

Inside the Dream Palace. Because I wanna secretly be Bob Dylan

The Devil in the White City: I always forget about this one. I recently brought up H.H. Holmes in a Facebook club and this book came up. I grabbed it when I saw it.

Mosquitoland. I'm a sucker for well written YA Novels and I'm glad that the trend is now swinging to more realistic novels instead of distopian futures.

The Whites: It just seemed interesting, I'm going in blind on this one.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

I bought a 22oz Arrogant Bastard Ale, but it was thoroughly skunked by the time I opened it :negative:

Drop Stone an email. They may send you another one because of that,

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

This is one of my all time favorite books. I saw Egan read it the night before she won the Pulitzer Prize.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Started my Christmas shopping yesterday. I got some stuff for my Reddit Secret Santa. She got shafted last year so I'm going to make it up to her and give some cool things. I got her some US Ski team related things and something Game of Thrones related. I'm gonna check for something else that I have ski related and send it to her too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

peanut- posted:

Some books I can ignore in favour of playing prettier video games.

I'm going to forewarn you, City on Fire is probably the biggest letdown that I've read this year. I had high hopes for it mainly because of the fact that it had great hype around it, but it was a very big letdown and took me forever to get through it (213 days to exact). It's confusing as hell and just slightly too long. You could cut it it half and it would have been a better story.

Anyway, I'm having a book filled week here. Powell's out in Portland is have a friends and family sale (30% off!) that ends tonight, so I figured that I'd get three books that are going to be my last for the year (I have Springsteen's auto, Anna Kendrick's autobio, and three of the best American series on order at Amazon).

How to Party with an Infant by Kaui Hart Hemmings

Atlas Obscura

TV the book by Alan Sepinwell and Matt Zoller Seitz

On Sunday I was at the Brookly Book Festival all day and grabbed these

Networks of New York by Ingrid Burrington

The New York Nobody Knows by William B. Helmreich

Three City Noir books by various

Where Did You Sleep Last Night by Lynn Crosbie

The Hopeful by Tracy O'Neil

Brooklyn by Colm Toibin

Emotional Rescue by Ben Greenman

On Celestial Music by Rick Moody

I'm also heading to a an event that's being done through my local Surfrider chapter tomorrow and I will be getting this signed.

Barbarian Days by William Finnegan

I'm also heading here on Saturday:

The Feast of San Gennaro for those who don't know. It's now a tourist trap, but it will be fun anyway and I will be stopping at the Union Square Green Market on the way back.

screenwritersblues has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Sep 21, 2016

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I forgot that I have these coming on Tuesday. The 2016 Best American Series.

Short Stories

Travel Writing

Sports Writing

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

TE37s

Idk what colour to refurb 🤔

Purple.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I just ordered myself a two year subscription to Playboy for $20. I'll cancel it after those two years if I don't like it. But then again, I like the new format.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

Didn't they get rid of the naked women? Like... the whole point of Playboy?

They "did," but not entirely. You can still see breasts, nipples (via slips and wet t-shirts) and butts to a point, but no lady parts. I think that it's a bit classier now and it leaves a bit more the imagination. The newest issue that I brought had a really good short story by Stephen King and a really good interview with Anna Kendrick. Oh and there were some very good looking ladies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I don't have a pic, but I got a good deal on airfare to Austin in November. Southwest was having a sale and wasn't planning on going, I was trying to go to Nashville, but there was no cheap prices. So I found a good deal, $237 round trip, and booked it.