Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Fayez Butts posted:

TVs do and features and picture quality change yearly

1redflag posted:

:wrong:

E. Forgot to refresh

They have series numbers. The series will change and the model number will change (usually every 2 years). Not once will you ever be asked for your year/make/model of your TV. Also picture quality really hasn't changed within the type of display (OLED, QLED, Direct View, etc) except for more pixels (UHD, true 4k, 8k). This has been a huge pain point in the industry as its been stagnant for the past few years.

Whats even funnier to me is if you are referring to Samsung "2019 QLED" they are the same series/model that came out last year. No changes at all according to the engineers I talk to over there. Just a marketing gimmick to address the above mentioned pain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Devices which make noise not explicitly commanded by their operator should be illegal. I'm looking at you cars, phones, tvs, microwaves, everything with electricity basically. Same goes for dumb lights, at least those can be easily blocked.

Um the noises and lights all mean something. If it is beeping it is trying to tell you something, usually something you should know.

Why would you want to mute a microwave? It only beeps when you press buttons or its letting you know its done heating your food :confused:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rolo posted:

Yeah my Samsung smart tv is just a neutered display with a game console as my streaming device. I had to remove all network settings and unplug the lan cable when I realized there were no settings to get the ads out of my face in the menu or to not automatically switch to some terrible SamsungTV channel as soon as I turned off my ps4.

The whole thing seems more designed to advertise and steal data than to not be poo poo but the cost of the TVs are usually worth it if you have something else to be “smart.”

I have said it here before and I will say it again. Do not connect your TV to the internet. All of the major brands (Samsung, Sony, LG...to name a few) do targeted ads and analytics of what you watch.

Not like a Google Chromecast doesn't but at least Google doesn't put the ads on your screen (just other devices which is creepier to some extent).

I bought some stuff this past weekend

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

evobatman posted:

Found a brand new Superdry Windcheater at the thrift store for $30.

My French coworker pronounced it "windshitter", so that is its name from now.

That is too many zippers for one coat.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Do you guys have a solution for preventing the o-ring in your tumblers at work from getting gross? Or is this just a thing I’ll have to live with a buy a new tumbler every 18 months?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Think of the sea turtles 😭

I pour a little coffee out each morning for the lost.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rolo posted:

I haven’t built a pc in like 18 years and that cpu heat sink is blowing my mind with how big it is. Look at that thing.

The one I have required a socket wrench to install and has warped my MOBO from the weight...granted my MOBO is only held in with 1 screw in the middle.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Got the Lego rocket in and assembled everything the other night:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/Fm7buAA.jpg][/timg]

Also bought some more knockoff legos, including one of the absurd model star destroyers and some town buildings like a library and whatnot:

When China arrests on copyright infringement you know it's bad.
https://brickset.com/article/43475/police-raid-lepin-factory-owner-arrested

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I must drink but I have no mouth

Necessity is the mother of all invention. How do you think the Butt Chug was invented?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Got them for $360 for the whole set. I imagine they cost 10x that to buy new since they’re illuminated

LED or Neon?

Fun fact, sign shops have about a 300% markup so 5 channel letters mounted and wired probably around $10k.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

First JNCOs, now Zubaz? I think I'm having a midlife crisis.

I await your next post of neon green fanny pack.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

honestly, i've never found building a pc to be particularly relaxing. i was always incredibly paranoid that i'd somehow apply too much pressure and break some important part or forget to ground myself an short the entire thing. it's never gone particularly wrong, but i don't think i could spend that much money and stay relaxed.

electronics are not as fragile as you think. It takes a lot to break them and drat near impossible to short them from static shock. Hell my powerbutton is a screwdriver I rake across the leads on the Mobo.

But I was once told my computers look like how they imagine they would look after the collapse of civilization so :shrug:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

OniPanda posted:

:magical:

Yeah.......nah. Absolutely do not listen to this. Static is a very real issue. While the likelihood of outright destroying something with a visible arc are low, you can cause static damage with just a few hundred volts, which you can't see or feel. Parts will fail faster than they should or become unstable, especially with the compounding factor of heat. You don't have to go full clean room, but do take appropriate precautions before handling.

And yet I have never fried anything and have stuff still running over 10y without issue :iiam:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Tell me about it, right up my alley.

I love sour pickles, I drink pickle juice, have pickles with my beer, do pickle back shots, etc...

Is it more like a pickle-flavored beer, or closer to, say, a shandy, but with pickle juice instead of lemonade?

Try a Pickletini, A martini but replace olive juice and olives for pickle juice and pickles. They are delicious.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

My dad has been to my new house about a half dozen times, and always asks where my CO detector is since he can't see it (and was about a minutes from running out to Ace to get me one each time.)

I think he's finally caught on that I don't need one, since my heat, hot water, and stove are all electric.

(To his credit, he was a volunteer fire chief for 20 years, so it's second nature for him to look for smoke and CO detectors, as well as fire extinguishers and good secondary exits.)

When I bought my house it took me a few months to realize there wasn't a single smoke detector in it. There was a mounting bracket for one in the hall that I assume the previous owner took with him.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

Honestly this depends on your office space. I bought browns to take to my new job so I wouldn't be the rear end in a top hat coming in with blues and on my first day I find out that multiple people around me use blues or greens. Oh well.

Congrats, you work in an office of assholes. Keep your clickys at home.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Fun fact, Vanilla extract is 35% alcohol. :cheers:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

mystes posted:

Keurig machines are pretty bad but I guess they have the advantage that offices that have them will typically get coffee as party of some sort of subscription or service agreement. This at least prevents them doing what one place I was working at did, which was just buying literally the cheapest coffee they could get from staples or wherever they got their offices supplies.

Or they do like my (I think I still work there) office and have a Keurig but no k cups and the lovely communal pot.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I got drunk last night and bought a Chirp back roller!
https://gochirp.com/collections/chirp-wheels/products/chirp-wheel-plus-product

Apparently it's good for deep tissue? And knotts? Idk...i was pretty drunk and my back hurts very much so it seemed like a good buy. Will report back if it works.

I also bout these neon green spider web shorts from Obey.

https://obeyclothing.com/products/obey-easy-relaxed-web-short?variant=31670423748669

Would you believe I was drunker then when i bought the back roller?

I tried those and it hosed my back all up. I probably used it wrong.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Moo the cow posted:

You just leave it somewhere convenient, pick it up and use.

This is what I do with my impact driver :confused:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

Ordered a new face mask courtesy of Rob Sheridan's (former Nine Inch Nails art director) Glitch Goods store:

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1298325540898660352

But I have downloaded a face mask :confused:

edit: Now I want one that says "You wouldn't profit off a pandemic"

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why are 3080's cheaper than 2080's? Why are there so many of them now?! Why can't I find a SoudBlaster 16 anymore??!

Sell you my Soundblaster Fatality card. Vintage means its worth more right?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

dudeness posted:

Hell yeah hop on the chast-train, chastity for life.

It's a lifestyle not a choice.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The remote was for being able to control it while you stood next to your car with the trunk open so everyone could see your dual 15s.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

T-Square posted:

I also bought a bunch of patches that are cool and neat for a motorcycle jacket, but I don’t know how to arrange them because all of these dang Instagram patch and pin companies make 90% of their patches round and not square or rectangular and a bunch of circles don’t align well with each other and it bothers me so they just sit in a drawer now.

Someone clearly was never a boy scout

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Everything fun gives you cancer. Why don't they just cure it so everyone can enjoy the sun, cigarettes, coffee, etc. Scientists are stupid.

But only in CA so as long as you don't live in that failed state you're safe :downs:

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Spring sale on the playstation store.

I took a break from cleaning my house to play some games and started playing this until it hit me like a rock that I am playing a robot cleaning a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Umm, Amazon has informed me that I got drunk over the weekend and bought a spear.

Drunk me used to check the "this is a gift" box. Always nice to open a mystery Amazon box with a "enjoy the gift! from drunk Jeeves"

Then I am reminded that drunk Jeeves used my card to order the gift and I get mad at him.