Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

I'm not at all familiar with the source material, but godDAMN is that a well-done mech costume. The paint job is incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
It might be a bit of a one-note costume, but I always thought that if I had lost a hand, it would be fun to cosplay as Marty McFly in 1955, slowly disappearing.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

I would like to call attention to the fact that this gentleman is cosplaying:
-a humanized version...
--of an animated pony version...
---of the original human(ish) character.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Choco1980 posted:

It's not the size that bugs me as much as the placement. Like, it looks like it's too high up his back where it's sprouting to be at all "natural" looking and-oh god why am I debating this??

I hate to burst your bubble here chief but-

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Coat could be Sleepy Hollow maybe.
As someone who's done a (budget) Jack Sparrow costume, the coat is definitely Pirates.

Also, perhaps he's wearing ladies' underwear underneath everything else for Ed Wood?

edit: I was just wondering why he had blonde hair sticking out along with the Jack Sparrow dreadlocks, but maybe it's supposed to be for Secret Window...

Patattack has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Oct 13, 2014

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

RareAcumen posted:

You get one in Burial at Sea that's the same but different. Like how tv shows will have obvious Apple products but call them Pear or whatever.

And some fan-film guys made a working replica of the Burial at Sea version, so I say this Elizabeth could have gone the extra mile :colbert:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Marceline Abadeer posted:

I'm not so sure I like the Roxanne.. but Powerline looks great.

Hair not squiggly enough, 2/10

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Jedit posted:

How can you tell if the car is female? :shrug:

It's voiced by Dame Judi Dench.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Hey, that's me!

My point of pride for this costume: I found out the actor's height and spent a LOT of time looking at reference pictures and calculating angles and lengths for all the bits on the helmet. Thanks to that, I think I got the proportions better than a lot of other Pyramid Heads I've seen out there. They often make the helmet way too big and it looks like a baby Pyramid Head wearing his dad's suit.

Though, I've found even more reference photos since then, and I've been meaning to revisit this costume sometime and make it more...convention quality. The helmet paintjob was lazy (straight out of a Rustoleum can), and the apron paint sadly peeled off (you can see it starting in a few spots), and I kinda want to custom-paint a zentai suit to show all of the scars and bruises and stuff without having to apply makeup every time.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Choco1980 posted:

Yeeeaaah...I'm gonna need you to come in on SUN-derland...

Huzzah! posted:

You really shouldn't work for this guy. His whole business is just a giant pyramid scheme.

Schlinky posted:

Well his boss is just some Giza.

Vanderdeath posted:

Don't listen to this guy. He has a pharaoh commitment.

LoonShia posted:

He does get wrapped up in his work, though.

Oh, you guys!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, I'm not feeling Archer, he looks too baby-faced even with the drawn-on highlights.

I agree. THIS Archer, on the other hand...

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Deviant posted:

Ow, my convention lanyard!

♫ Wave o' manbabies! ♪

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't know, from the neck down she still looks like a random person from the Mad Max universe, its just that from the neck up she has a (really well done) mask and makeup of a specific character. If she was cosplaying as Lord Humungus you would probably expect her to change the outfit slightly to fit her gender (partially so she wouldn't get arrested).

Nah, from the neck down, she looks like a standard goth/punk/whatever-the-kids-are-calling-it-these-days. No dirt, no rust, no tattered rags, no cobbled-together anything - everything is very clean and proper and fashionable.

I'm not gonna be a judgmental dick who says that she can't have fun and dress up as whatever she wants. That's totally her prerogative, and I bet she had a blast! That's what costuming is all about. But in my mind, this is a custom costume, rather than "cosplay" proper. And as far as "Immortan Joe cosplay" goes, I would say that it is MEDIOCRE

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

McPantserton posted:

Obviously not complete yet but I'm super impressed by this Warhammer build by Drack Props so far, drat.

Holy crap. At first it looks like really elaborate cardboard, but then you look closer...

I mean, that chestplate..!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

My logical mind is aware that these costumes are super well done, and I was trying to figure out why I thought the picture looked a little...off. Then I realized that this Marceline's vampire teeth are on her incisors, rather than her canines (as seen in every other vampire portrayal, ever), so it doesn't look like a vampire is "supposed" to look. IMMERSION RUINED

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

VendaGoat posted:

Don't Teeth shame.

Huh! Never seen True Blood, but I think it looks kinda silly on them, too.

edit: I figured it out! They look like they're wearing those cheap plastic fangs that are too small for an adult's mouth.

Patattack has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jul 19, 2015

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Windows 98 posted:

Ignore my horrible smile face. Also, I am normal person size, she is just 6'1".

Went as Peter Parker / Mary Jane this year to Boston Comic Con. A guy I bought ASM #42 (first MJ) off of liked our costumes so he asked us to go behind his table and take a picture with the issue the Mary Jane cosplay is from. For reference, here is the Amazing Fantasy #15 Peter Parker I went as.

Nice! Please tell me she carried a mug around all day and attempted that cover pose as often as possible.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Tracula posted:

So. Honest question. Even if I can supply my own horse teeth how much would a full-on Immortan Joe cosplay cost?

There's a thread at the Replica Prop Forum (not sure if a membership is necessary to read it) where they're going into great detail to identify all of the pieces: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240451

Short version, on top of the mask you'd have to buy a bunch of vintage auto namebadges and hard-to-find pins and patches (or 3D-print copies of them), old Nokia circuit boards, various nuts and bolts, pistons, bicycle chain... The clear armor itself is probably easiest to make from transparent thermoplastic Worbla (~$100 for one torso-sized sheet, probably need a couple) molded over Roman muscle armor ($70 on Amazon). And then there's the boots, the bellows attached to the mask, and the guns/holsters...

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

McPantserton posted:

All of this except save yourself some money and buy sheet PETG instead because it is hilariously cheaper than Worbla TranspArt and does basically the same stuff

Noted! Thank you for the tip, this will be helpful once I start getting full-bore into my own Immortan Joe costume. Although...if I want PETG on the thicker side (so my armor doesn't bend all over the place), is it still going to be cheaper?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Polaron posted:

RIP Progressive Boink.

I still don't entirely understand the direction that website went in the last couple of years. It was so perfect for so long, then it had a format shift and got kind of weird. Also, I'm very mad that their IMDB for Hanna-Barbera characters doesn't seem to be in their archives.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Michael Bay as Egon?

I was thinking Cheers-era Ted Danson.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
On the subject of rad family cosplay, here's a gentleman from the Replica Prop Forum (he's in the center) with his son and daughter.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
There's just one costume I would make if I had access to that guy's skill and expertise:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

xoFcitcrA posted:

Oh. Well, it's garbage then. :colbert:

Man, you're in the cosplay thread. Saying "I can't find anything wrong with this whatsoever" is a straight-up challenge for accuracy experts to pick it apart! They probably wouldn't have said anything otherwise.

I noticed the missing clip-on watch, but I didn't remember the other stuff

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

VendaGoat posted:

Made the Kessel Run in 12 Awwwwwwsecs. :3:

Missed an opportunity to use "paw-secs", 3/10.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Is it time to start sharing our own Halloween costumes?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

:captainpop:

I bet all those medals and stuff are completely accurate as well, aren't they? I know that some guy at the replica prop forums or something did a crazy detailed breakdown of them all for everyone.

Yuuuup! The medals that I couldn't find for real were instead 3D printed and cold-cast in bronze/aluminum resin by a fellow RPF guy. Someone else got all of the accurate patches custom embroidered, but I didn't spring for those due to budget... Maybe next time, when I take this to a con!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!
Alright I know I posted my Immortan Joe in here the other day, but I wanted to crosspost from the cosplay-construction thread now that I've got higher-quality photos:

And here's my girlfriend's Furiosa:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

EmmyOk posted:

I must be the only person who missed the Pina Colada extra in Jurassic World.

He was on-screen for a fraction of a second, don't feel too bad.

That said, he wasn't just an "extra", he was literally Jimmy Buffett making the most on-the-nose cameo possible.

Patattack has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

EmmyOk posted:

Who is Jimmy Buffett?

Singer/songwriter of "Margaritaville" and other novelty tropical-themed songs, and owner of the "Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville" restaurant chain, which has a franchise location at Jurassic World, which is where his cameo (holding margaritas) takes place.

The man loves his margaritas.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

chaos rhames posted:

Do you ever feel like you know a guy from just his shadow?

You're the best. I hope people in the real world were as delighted by this as I am.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

kalstrams posted:

My first concern was whether if that's a dickbutt on the left breast.

I must take a break off the Internet.

Well, it wouldn't be unprecedented.

(look at the text on the guitar)

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Inzombiac posted:

Same group as before. The expressions are priceless.

You can tell she's an incurable prankster.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Klaus88 posted:

It is not Troy Baker's fault that Arkham origins was a tire fire.

Frankly, I thought the most memorable and interesting part of that game was the Joker's therapy session, so I gotta give Troy Baker props for his role in that.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Sage Grimm posted:

Yes. Gomez is hamming it up with his eyes but otherwise :perfect:

Are you implying that Gomez hamming it up ISN'T perfectly accurate to the source material?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Snatch Duster posted:

Bolded parts highlight everyone in that video, and safely almost all cosplayers attending any convention. These conventions are trade shows for their industry to sell products, announce releases, and continual education for people working in the industry. Cosplayers showed up and perverted the purpose. Can't wait till cosplayers start showing up to NAFED and World of Concrete trade shows.

...Snatch Duster said, in the de facto Cosplay Enthusiasts thread.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

RareAcumen posted:

This is a new term for me.

It sounds like an Achewood-ism to me.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Besesoth posted:

VendaGoat is drunk and watching hockey. He saw a photo of sexy Ewok cosplay, and decided to post it here. He's aware that the cosplay is designed to draw eyeballs other than those of cosplay fans, but he thinks it's valuable anyway, since any increase in the visibility of cosplay is good, and he wanted to nip in the bud any complaints about how it's just "pandering", whatever idiots think that means at the moment.

Man, I don't know what everyone else is going on about with alien languages, I thought VendaGoat's post conveyed this concept without confusion. Maybe it was worded oddly in some places, but I absolutely understood the point.

Just, you know, so that VendaGoat doesn't think they're being gaslighted or anything.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Forti posted:

Is there a special name for that kind of light material with the hexagonal pattern on it? I need a bunch of it for a costume but have no idea what to search for.

I think most costumes of this style are custom-designed patterns that are dye-sublimation printed on lycra, then sewn up by the cosplayer. I don't think there's a "base" lycra with that design on it. That said, there are definitely folks who you can commission to design you a printing pattern that you can then send to be dye-subbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

MCFLY YOU BOJO

I really hope that guy never stopped calling other con-goers "bojo"

• Locked thread