Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Behead all who insult disco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Celery Face posted:

I actually thought that picture was from a purity ball for a second there.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. Must be the fact the people in the picture are somewhat fair-skinned.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

"Fox News is well respected in my circles" really says it all, doesn't it?

Aside from that, we've seen millions of times from this very thread that any deviance from the way people did anything as a kid will be dismissed by them as frivolous and inferior, be it media, education or whatever.

Back in my day, MP3 players weren't part of phones and only held 1 GB and that's all we needed! :bahgawd:

(1 GB, even back then, was still way too small.)

Gimnbo has a new favorite as of 19:55 on May 15, 2014

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

socilest butthomo posted:

How is it that people so clearly incompetent feel not only that they are capable, but the need to publicly humiliate themselves by speaking up on an issue they know nothing about? And do so in a way that shows without a doubt that they get their concepts and words from r/atheism?

"Yes black people are treated badly, but can you show me that it is BECAUSE of racism? Check mate, liberal racists." :smug:

I've long since realized that the reason your stereotypical reddit "logical thinker"/engineer type dismisses the social sciences is because they're too goddamn stupid to grasp that not everything falls into neat little discrete causational niches.

But then again not even engineering does.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So I guess he'll be hiring some whores for his lads when they hit puberty, just to keep them from shooting up the place? Gotta stick to those principles, after all.

"Dad says if I'm still a virgin by 21 he'll send me to Amsterdam. I'm, uhhh, waiting for marriage."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Explain How! posted:

Deserve within this context in noway implies owed, jesus christ. It just a colloquialism. I shouldn't have to point this out to apparently functional humans.

The context is an anime image macro.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dude was a massive racist.
Libruls are the real racists.
Therefore the guy was a liberal.

The GBS thread says he liked the Young Turks but that's about all I know about his political leanings.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

RareAcumen posted:

I just want to say thank you for this post. Because I've seen the tumblr version of it but never the original intent. So I just rolled my eyes and moved on without giving it any real thought because yelling at someone for wanting a simple explanation on things is just stupid.

I'd also imagine that part of the original intent is also due to assholes using "please explain this to me" in bad faith as a method of derailing a conversation and wasting everyone's time since the rear end in a top hat in question has no intention of actually listening to what you say. The fact it can be used to dodge actually approaching the subject in a constructive manner makes it a gold mine for Tumblr people. There's enough bad faith for everyone!

Also does sheepishly handing over/hiding a card really count as a call-out? I say it ain't a call-out unless you got people around to go AWWWWW poo poo.

Cleretic posted:

Wait, I'm experienced in Tumblr Bullshit, and even I don't know what 'heterosexism' is. Surely it can't be discriminating against straight people, not from this lot, right?

I googled it and it apparently is a word for anti-gay bigotry. I've never heard it before either.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Ah yes, the old "People didn't completely follow the narrative of my story. This is clearly because something is wrong with them."

I don't quite get the context of the post. Is this for a class or is it just him submitting it for critique?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

The drop in deficit would actually look more dramatic if the graph was drawn to correct scale. Whoever made that graph is actually hurting their own point by making a lovely misleading graph.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Slim Killington posted:

For real though Chancellor Bossy-Whiskers is awesome and I'm not ashamed to claim that one.

Yeah it's a lot more amusing than the previous vampire and wolf poo poo.

GENERAL SASSY PANTS DEMANDS YOUR ATTENTION, MAGGOT

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Because I can't see who posted it this picture looks to me like Curt posted it, liked it, commented on it, and liked his own comment.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

People not practicing every single part of their religion when they don't feel like it?

That poo poo never happens.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

into the void posted:

You can also have Kluver Bucy Syndrome, where the patient has a diminished fear response. It also produces hypersexuality, such as in the case of this cat that is humping everything without fear of reprisals or societal judgment:

Bottom corner: That's cat on cat on cat, btw. Because Science.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kl%C3%BCver%E2%80%93Bucy_syndrome

Fear of social judgment is needlessly impairing to a lot of us more withdrawn nerds, but I could only wonder how long a fedora-wearing manchild would last without a fear response before either being killed or thrown in prison.

I imagine it'd be a lot like if Peter Griffin were a real person.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tracula posted:

The rest are just typical stupid but what the gently caress on this one :psyduck:

I don't see what's confusing about "I want to go to the land of <foreign culture> and gently caress all their women." This just also has the stereotype of emasculated Asian men.

Alternatively he's using the big-titted Japanese woman as a cover for wanting to gently caress an Asian dude.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It's almost as though lovely image macros railing against feminism don't understand the concept outside of how it affects their video games and rape jokes.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Laserjet 4P posted:

of course, reddit

"I don't need feminism because I am the polar opposite of an MRA" doesn't really make sense to me.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

A quote that sticks in my mind: "look at when there's a line of people all going through a door, and you (woman) hold it open behind you for the next person. If it's a man behind you, they will ALWAYS put their hand higher than yours on the door, because this shows their power/whatever" :wtc:

I now picture a really short guy jumping up and down in a futile attempt to get his hand over the woman's.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Droogie posted:

That's funny, because the team's trademark attorney was just asked that question and instead of saying yes or no, basically said 'well, it *could* be considered a slur, but that's not what *our* word means.'

loving ridiculous.

Holy poo poo, people are actually using Racist Cop-out Defense #27* as a legal defense?

*not an actual term

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I remember seeing a screenshot of the lounge and it's just a wall of people posting Scrooge McDuck pics.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Do real existing children anywhere actually write backward s's?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

There's really no better and succinct way to sum up all these rear end in a top hat's attitudes than "bad thing isn't bad because it would never happen to me."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Each amendment is a new heresy.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Excels posted:

More from this furry guy.

:gonk:

"This is my daughter, dumbass."

The guy's comment makes me imagine that he cringes his face like a baby pooping every time he shares a lovely joke. It makes me unreasonably angry.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, luckily I figured out college wasn't for me at the time after only wasting county money on dual enrollment, and about 1800 out of pocket.
Like I said, I wish they had talked more about trades and vo-tech schools, cause that's what I ended up going into earlier this year. They don't cost nearly as much, you learn great skills, and mine even gives you some college credits to a specific degree. Plus you can make pretty good careers out of most of the courses, or at least use them as a jumping off point without accruing massive debt.

This actually reminds of a thread relevant story. I didn't get any pics of the debate, but a friend of mine posted something about minimum wage stuff, and que crotechy old guy coming in and whining about kids these days. Anyways, I post something about how even with the best of schedules, it's still barely possible to make it by while going to college on one job, let alone trying to work two jobs, and fit in classes and stuff. So this guy proceeds to tell us about working two full time jobs while still going to high school. Two 40 hour a week jobs while going full time to high school. Yeah, so I point there's really not enough hours in the week for that to really be true and he just explodes about how I'm calling him a liar. Well buddy, ya kinda are...

Having 2 hours per day to eat, sleep, shower, and not go insane should be plenty for kids who aren't entitled shits.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"We middle class white males are going to be the most persecuted minorities ever! 1488"

the OP is a rich Vietnamese guy I know from high school who went to engineering school at Purdue and landed a job a month after graduating, and last year he posted "Dear black people, please don't riot over the Trayvon verdict" on his facebook

Well of all the minorities Asians are hardly underrepresented in engineering. It's not like anyone's going to go "wow, an Asian engineer! This place is progressive."

And :laffo: at the notion that white males will ever be threatened as a demographic in loving engineering.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tetracube posted:

Destroying cancer would upset the delicate balance between good and evil. A worse disease would surely take its place.

Here's a bad blog: http://ask-fury-belle.tumblr.com/

He (she? no, definitely he) unironically typed "maregina."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Centripetal Horse posted:

Here's the source of the image: https://www.facebook.com/MyLegalHeat/posts/337559393002201

Estimated 85,000,000 gun owners in the USA, eleven of them kill people each day, resulting in 37 deaths per day. Apparently, those eleven gun owners are the mass-murdering sort.

I also like this bit:
"2,191 people use a gun every day in self-defense."
"Once again, this is a conservative statistic, the actual number is likely higher."

Source: a book called "More Guns, Less Crime."

I had a gun pulled on me, last year. I just bet that incident meets this statistic's definition of "self defense." Despite the fact that the man with the gun was 100% the aggressor, harassing and eventually assaulting a friend of mine, he was "defending" himself against me when I said, "That's enough," and took two steps toward them.

The terms they use will depend on whether the assaulter was black.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

casual poster posted:

What the hell is up with Natasha Jones's incredible over reaction? Did that post really make her that angry??

The skeleton war is a far more terrible and brutal conflict than we imagine. It's not a joking matter.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Not really understanding why people feel the need to make up terrible things for ISIS to do when it's already well known they actually do terrible things already.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Breaky posted:

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;…

From Matthew ch6. Seems pretty clear to me

Earth = where the poor plebs live
Heaven = where the rich masters live

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"I was riding a segway down the street" -a well-adjusted individual

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

"Cyber-bullying" is a stupid term for something that should just be called harassment.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't completely disagree but let's not forget how kids are better at computers than most of us and have always been loving relentless when it comes to tormenting the weak.

Not to mention that people don't usually call "cyber-bullying" when it's just a few assholes.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

karl fungus posted:

Why do people care how other people give birth?

If someone doesn't needlessly suffer as much as I do during an ordeal they're clearly inferior.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

KillerEggplant posted:

There's a surprising number of people who will agree that yes, rape is bad, and then proceed to agree that there are situations in which it's okay to have sex with a person who doesn't want it, as long as the questions don't actually contain the word "rape."

A lot of people are more afraid of being labeled a rapist than they are of actually being a rapist.

Funnily enough, I accidentally typed "racist" in the entry box and it works just as well.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

beepsandboops posted:

I don't think that people being afraid of feminism is a new phenomenon.

Anita really galvanized the shitlords in the gaming community though. Penny Arcade and the Dickwolves didn't really garner that much attention but for some reason there are people who can't see "women" and "game" in the same sentence without going "AUGH ANITA SARKEESIAN."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I have a conservative gun nut uncle and conservative gun nut friend I don't really talk to, but that poo poo's low hanging fruit so I never posted them.

This, however, comes from someone who I regard as generally smarter than average. I saw "blackface" and actually said "holy poo poo" out loud. Isn't the whole point of the ice bucket to make you sympathize with people who suddenly lose control?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

It also assigns duty to men to get in as much pussy as possible while assigning duty to women to deny it to everyone. It's inherently adversarial, which is a pretty bad quality to give to basic human interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I hope this is a joke, but knowing the goddamn Internet, it's probably not.

I'm not even sure what this accomplishes? I can see some nutjob making a case that Kaworu should have special pronouns, but all the Reis are genetically female, and the ones that live long enough to display any sort of behavior that could maybe be construed as an indication of her sexual orientation behave in a heteronormative manner.

I guess it's been a while since I've seen the show--maybe I missed the episode where Rei stops mid-fight with an angel so she can lecture Shinji on what pronouns she prefers and how he shouldn't make assumptions because that makes you cis-loving-scum.

The word that I locked into on that post was "head canon," which basically means completely random poo poo you made up that you inject into media.

• Locked thread