Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fiend Computer posted:

Family friend shared this. She is also someone who is getting a liberal arts degree and constantly shares a lot of conservative "we should drug test people on welfare" or "we need to keep our the minimum wage low because gently caress the poor!" kind of stuff. It makes me feel really disappointed. :(

chop off the bottom bit, then repost with "wouldn't it be great if poor people could have a road to a better life and a living wage that didn't involve the hazards and hardships of military service!" (that's obviously ignoring the factual omission of the fact that 2/3 or more of military compensation is non cash in the form of healthcare, housing etc)

also, I've NEVER worked as loving hard as I did when I was in a fast food kitchen, holy poo poo those poor fuckers deserve every penny, especially the ones who never had the chance to get an education and are stuck there long term.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 13:19 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

here are two appropriate replies to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Davison

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If cuddle parties are like asexual orgies, is this... cuddle prostitution?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
those are some not-very-hungry rear end mice. Generally when mice eat things, those things tend not to be there to take a photograph of when you come back. From what I can tell, neither of the samples were actually eaten (even if this wasn't STDH which it obviously is), the non GMO one was scattered, not eaten. Also mice apparently open envelopes with something other than their mouse teeth, that's a clean tear right there

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I thought this briefly as well, but it's a comment from a guy on his (straight) girlfriend/babymomma's wall, so I'm not sure why she would be 'chasing rainbows'.

"Chasing Rainbows" is an idiom meaning trying to achieve something impossible (because you can never catch a rainbow), the poster is implying that the person is following some implausible pipedream or wasting her time on an unrealistic goal. It's got nothing to do with gay people.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Eponine posted:

Practically, it probably has great applications for people who suffer from extreme allergies or eating disorders. The thought of drinking it makes me gag, though.

No, because:

Dienes posted:

Why he even bothered making this when there are literally dozens of meal-replacement and supplement drinks developed by trained, experienced dietitians and biologists is beyond me.

As the guy above me said, this poo poo already exists. There are tons of people who can't or won't eat solid food, or need ultra low residue meal replacement nutrition. There is a different meal replacement goo for every situation, from regular people who just want/need a liquid diet, to weight loss aids, extreme allergy meal replacements, long term coma patients, people without a working oespophagous, cancer patients, people who have had gastric band surgery, or people who have had various parts of their intestine removed or rendered non functional.

Whatever this guy wants, it already exists in a form that has been developed scientifically by qualified experts, tested, refined and is actually functional as a meal replacement. This guy is trying to replicate those decades of work without any expertise or understanding of human nutritional needs: he's reinventing the wheel but thinks maybe circles aren't the way to go and has anyone tried a square?

also calling it Soylent is stupid unless it's either made from people or from a mixture of soy and lentils (which was the etymology for Soylent in the movie and what it was purported to be made of)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Guns are the great leveller; they make any regular schlub into an efficient killing machine. Give that same guy a rock and he'll kill like one person, and even then only if he takes them by surprise.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

into the void posted:

Maybe dump a NWS tag in there.

uh, just so y'all know, in my country watching that video is almost certainly literally illegal. It would be better to remove the link thanks all the same

(for anyone wondering, it's a poorly made flash animation of calvin and hobbes loving, which autostarts when you click the link)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
so Finland isn't in Europe now?

(the map is awesome and very informative tho)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Met posted:

None of Scandinavia is represented. Guess that's not in Europe either.

Norway and Sweden are on the list, just not on the map. I guess there's enough gaps in the map for most of the Scandinavian countries but you'd have to cut them up real small and you'd lose the impact of tessellating everything together.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

kalanikaloni posted:

Good to know that we can cure cancer with loving juice. I used to live with this girl and one time we were at the grocery store and she was reading the label for a 100% juice bottle and asked me, in all seriousness, if it was 100% juice why was there sugar in it? (P.S. in case you're wondering the celtic knot tags refer to her tattoo in the picture)

like added sugar in the ingredients or sugars in the nutritional breakdown?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
also, there's a pretty decent chance that if she does get knocked up accidentally, she'll have an abortion anyway

http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
wow, in 1900 we were really lovely at diagnosing cancer

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
bitches does not rhyme with princess what the gently caress

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, gently caress local businesses! Bow down to our corporate overlords.

again, wrong reading of the situation. It would be lovely if such a thing DID succeed, it's just very unlikely that it will, and the owners will end up wasting a shitload of their own and other peoples time, money and effort. Bookstores are dying, record stores are dying, and even massive corporations are feeling the pinch. It's unlikely to be something that can be a sustainable business long term.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

lfield posted:

Even if it fails it'll be fun probably. Doing things is fun.

Or maybe hold off on opening your local business until you have a plan to take down Amazon, whatever.

doing things with other people's money is SUPER fun too! Even funner than actually risking any of your own!

seriously, art spaces and the like are awesome, but they're not a viable business. There's probably always going to be *some* demand for out of print and secondhand books and records, but less so now than ever when the content is available for free or nearly free and in a more convenient format, hard-to-find books are much more likely to be bought as collectible objects than specifically for the words on the page. Which makes starting a business in it a very risky venture, and it's kinda lovely to ask for money from people for a risky, likely to fail venture.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

You realize that second statement shouldn't be true if the first one was, right? Everyone collectively shrugging their shoulders and going, "Welp, dying industry!" are a big part of WHY these stores are dying out/nearly impossible to start nowadays.

PART of us wants these stores to exist because they're nice to browse and chat with the owners, another part really does find digital distribution better than physical books in a physical store. Even secondhand paper books can be bought online more easily and cheaply than in person, through Amazon (though technically amazon is a middleman for most of these, the business actually fulfilling the order might well be a small local bricks and mortar store which has seen the writing on the wall and diversified)

I don't even buy books much anymore, support your local library guys!

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Jul 22, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
most cancers occur after childbearing age anyway. That 1 in 3 figure that's always bandied about is heavily skewed to 50+ people, like 80-90% of cancers occur in this age group

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

EL BROMANCE posted:

white Lion bars

like a lion bar but with white chocolate? Well, that's me sold (not that I ever had a problem with Polish immigrants or any other immigrants for that matter, just never had a need to go into a Polish grocers)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Jollity Farm posted:

A facebook friend, who normally just posts online quiz results, liked this thing earlier today. It's clearly just an American thing with "Britain" added in, and I'm sure I've seen it before when it was "America".

yes, it's a repost of an American thing, the nature of the points and some of the language used really doesn't fit Britain very well (the "press 1 to speak English" might actually be true, but that's in Wales where there are two official languages and the second one, Welsh, has been spoken there longer than English anyway)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Clochette posted:

Recently I discovered a website called misandry.com.

This is a post on their forum:

They don't see any irony whatsoever in saying this, and then complaining that women fear and hate men.

I'm sure those parties with drugs and alcohol will be GREAT with no women at them. And men disappointed by said parties will be thrilled when they can literally never meet women they don't already know (because it's dangerous for women to speak to strange men)

Basically the best way for women to avoid being raped is for them all to become modestly dressed lesbians and prowl the streets in large crowds, possibly armed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Finisher1 posted:

I'm just wondering how s/he got that red text.

have a look at the current gun thread in GBS (it's about a small girl and an uzi)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Roofie-detecting nail polish is cool and will make a lot of women safer and its very existence will dissuade a lot of men from attempting date rape in the first place. "Well we shouldn't need this at all though" you can say the same thing about the loving fire department you useless utopian loons

It won't.

Use of roofies for rape is actually fairly rare, drink spiking is common but the vast majority of the time it is done using additional alcohol to make the victim much drunker than they expect, not with exotic drugs. If anything, things like this (rohypnol testing kits and so on) create a false sense of security by giving false negatives for spiked drinks since they completely fail to detect the most common form of drink spiking used to facilitate rape and sexual assault.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Apogee15 posted:

The nail polish is probably a dumb idea, but it's even more dumb to get all upset over it. It's like getting upset at mace because women shouldn't have to carry mace around to be safe, and maybe sometimes mace wont be enough so it creates a "false sense of security".

The problem with any drink testing product is if it DOESN'T react, then whatever disclaimers they might print it is implicitly telling you this drink is OK and has not been tampered with. Unfortunately, the majority of drink spiking done for sexual-assault purposes is with additional alcohol, and the use of any drug that would actually be detected by the product is very rare. Even if you accept that women need to be careful and vigilant, which unfortunately does seem to be the case, it's likely people using the product would be at MORE risk, because they would be more inclined to drink something they had left unattended (but which tested "negative") than someone who wasn't using the product at all would be, even though if it had been spiked it would very likely test negative anyway.

Basically it's like someone marketing and talking up a kit to test your well water for arsenic in an area where 99% of wells are arsenic free but many are contaminated with salmonella. It creates the perception that arsenic is a problem and draws attention away from the real issue.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sandweed posted:

What's he gonna use that for in the 4 years it will take for this game to come out?

Elite: Dangerous according to one of the pics. Which also isn't finished, but is doing far better than SC and doesn't have the stupid micromacro-transaction system

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Recently posted from that Vegan person.

In my experience, when vegetarians grow up they start eating meat again (or just stay vegetarian)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

kinmik posted:

What is this even trying to say? :psyduck:

Gender is dead, long live gender.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Master Twig posted:

I'm going to catch hell for knowing this, but the Dragon character in MLP eats gems. So yeah... probably from that.

durnit, I thought it was from that obscure 80's animated dragon movie where the dragons eat limestone which reacts with stomach acid to produce hydrogen which is how they fly (like blimps) and how they breathe fire. They eat gems like a bird eats small stones, to help break up the limestone in their craw.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I get really, really loving angry whenever furries or (worse) bronies co-opt the rainbow flag or other symbols of queer rights movements. I can't think of an easier way to alienate a community who is all about inclusion than equating your struggle of "my boss gets mad if I wear a fake tail in my waistband" to "I can't marry the person I love".

Furries at least have a very large representation of gay people in the fandom, something like 50% of furries are gay, bi or some other non-hetero sexuality. Trans people are also fairly heavily represented.

Whereas bronies seem to be overwhelmingly, or at least predominantly, straight men (though I seem to recall there was a con chair who was trans)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Psychobabble! posted:

Detox diets are the stupidest goddamn things. What do people think they have a liver for? I had a coworker once who went on a 7 day all apples detox diet, and by day 2-3 she looked like absolute hell; couldn't keep her eyes all the way open, looked like she had aged years, dark circles under her eyes, and was unable to really think straight. Surprise!

It's particularly hilarious because apples are almost pure sugar, a goodly portion of that being fructose which is actually really bad for you in excess since it's metabolism is weird and it can cause a spike in blood triglycerides. Sure there's some vitamins and poo poo and a little bit of fibre, but in terms of nutrition there's not that big of a difference between a bushel of apples and a vat of HFCS with a couple of vitamin tablets thrown in (in fact MORE of the sugar in apples is fructose than in HFCS). The occasional apple is fine, but a straight up all apple diet? Might as well just be downing cola.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

CoasterMaster posted:

The secret is buying in bulk. Don't tell anyone, since it's a secret.

isn't the BEST way to grow your own (in your garden using home made fertilizer and rainwater of course)?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Organic farming, unsurprisingly, involves a considerable amount of loss. Maintenance and storage are also time sinks as well as their own costs. Gardening's a fine hobby but it's not all that cost-effective and definitely isn't worth your time when you can just go to the store and buy produce.

oh totally, you might save money (assuming you don't buy anything in, use home made compost, rainwater and already have the appropriate tools and are able to control pests without buying anything either) but you certainly won't save time and for anyone with a job it's absolutely more cost effective to just buy your food.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

I'm going to hazard "no" or "Who knows?" because most beheadings of Americans are probably from workplace or traffic accidents, and most infections are not Ebloa (even if we restrict it to deadly infections, MRSA, HIV and other already widespread diseases have killed orders of magnitude more people than ebola)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Neither, I'd just assume it was the cat knocking something over. And certainly not the big gun, statistically it's more likely you'll accidentally shoot a family member returning late than someone trying to murder you in your bed.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RareAcumen posted:

Careful of huge

remember, if someone says a bad thing about a thing that isn't true, then every other bad thing people say about that thing must also be untrue. Sorta a double jeopardy thing

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
everything is art

that's sorta the point

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Picnic Princess posted:

Hey everyone! 50s Tim's here to educate you.

Women are stealing are jerbs! WOMEN ARE LITERALLY STEALING OUR JOBS AND ARE THE SOLE BLAME FOR UNEMPLOYMENT RATES and without June Cleaver moms at home 24/7, our kids are all criminals or worse... Democrats.

I'd love to see overweight 55 year old male blue collar workers take over all the vacant beautician, waitress and pole dancer* jobs left vacant after every single woman leaves the workforce

(*not that these are the only jobs women do obviously)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RFC2324 posted:

Content:

you shouldn't beat your niece half to death for being insensitive when a trans person doesn't pass very well, treat it as a teachable moment.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I swear red has posted this exact image before. More than once.

No, you did not.

Every atom in our bodies is swapped out after approximately seven years. Soul-mate-ness has a life expectancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

even if vitamin C megadoses DID help prevent viral infection (and there is no evidence that they do, at best chowing down vitamin C like candy might help you recover from a cold a few hours faster), it's one of the cheapest vitamins to get hold of. You can buy a bottle of like 100 100% RDA vitamin C tablets for a couple of dollars from any pharmacy or supermarket. So it's not only snake oil, it's snake oil being sold for hundreds of times the price of the snake oil you can get in the snake oil aisle of any shop.

• Locked thread