Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From AI:

Dave Inc. posted:

These are the only carrots I'll eat. Other carrots leave my stomach feeling oddly hollow.

Edit: Uhhh poo poo poo poo poo poo

http://i.imgur.com/OG9cYnq.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I was almost expecting him to leap to the top of the final platform without needing the rope. He sprinted so fast the obstacles were just one solid surface to him.

If you're moving fast enough, water is close enough to solid. Ask any small flat rock.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That man has nothing on MSG Mike Vining

Actual badass SOF dudes look a little underwhelming after years of action heroes.

OK, so I looked the guy up, and he certainly had a badass career. He's legit.

But "looks a little underwhelming" is a bit of an understatement. I'm sure it's been said before, and we're all thinking it:

The movie of this guy's life would have to star Rick Moranis.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

But there are nipples further out in space!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque

That's an awesome way to make first contact with extraterrestrial life: we sent them an unsolicited dick pic.

And directions to our house

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laterite posted:

Why is he mad about the songs?

Comics from the New York City of literally a hundred years ago or more may not be 100% relatable

Yet, presciently,

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Everyone hates spruikers.

I learned a word today

Phy has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Jan 28, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh dope posted:

I had a friend that started playing guitar at a very young age. He was an utter virtuoso. It was just this innate natural talent he had that he could never really explain. He got burned out and quit playing guitar in his early twenties. It just got boring for him and his passion for it disappeared. He still owns several expensive guitars but they're just an investment collecting dust these days. Hopefully this kid doesn't go through that, because watching a talent like that go to waste is extremely sad.

I think that explains Mozart for me. "Ok, ok, guys, wait, no, listen. Listen! What if. What if I created anoooother work of heartbreaking genius, y'know, ok, because it's Tuesday, right? But this time I called it 'Sit Your Dirty rear end On My Face And Smear Turds Into My Nosehair'? And then everyone had to play it! They'd look at the sheet music, and no-one would say the name, of course, but they'd all know! They'd all know that the greatest musical performance of their lives was a piece called 'Smear Turds Into My Nosehair'."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that was the entirety of my joke. Incredibly brilliant child prodigy, grown up and kinda bored with it, amuses himself by flinging works off the top of his head that lesser men would kill to have written, and naming them vulgarities that would have selfsame lesser men summarily shot in the street.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Why is this the only place in the English language where "poker" is shortened this way

Nobody gets their buddies together for a few hands of po

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

I guess you haven’t googled this

:stare:

You know, I honestly thought I had at one point. Between that and the Picard playing the flute with someone else's hands thing, I'm starting to wonder if I jumped timelines last night. Is it still Nelson Mandela who was locked up in South Africa for years?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The "I'll give you something to cry about"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was that the "Did you just catch that?" "Yes, yes I did :smug:" guy?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Telling that the closest he comes to eating poo poo is taking a couple steps in heels

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I remember From The Earth To The Moon being pretty decent. In the last episode Tom Hanks stars as Georges Méliès, director of Un Voyage Dans La Lune.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That tricycle atv is more lethal than any barbarian axe he ever painted

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Whosoever shall pull this knife from this gator, is rightwise King born of all Texas

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Let me guess, they're waiting until they just have more adults in immigration detention, so it doesn't sound quite as evil

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

what about the red green party

goddamn ducktapers

don't tell me what I can and can't do with my stick

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I can't stop watching this on loop and making PKKSSSSHHHH noises every time that right connects

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

ROBOT: INVASIVE_SPECIES_ELIMINATED
ROBOT: ACTIVATE_INVASIVE_SPECIES_SEARCH_PROTOCOL
HUMAN: Wow, great job, Killer! Now activate shutdown protocol so we can get you to the next place that needs you.
HUMAN: Killer? Hello? Activate shutdown protocol.
ROBOT: INVASIVE_SPECIES_LOCATED

Easy there, Ted Faro

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Old dude chilling out in a lawn chair playing a DS in a parking lot on an overcast day while smoking a cigar. That man knows how to relax. I can only hope one day my life will be that grand.

As far as life goals go, this one seems pretty achievable! I know you got it in you, little shaver. Reach for that star!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

My favorite thing about Rube Goldberg contraptions is that it's almost exclusively the realm of white folks that have the time & resources to set them up. :v:

It's a better use of our time than most of the other poo poo we get up to when we're bored

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lady Disdain posted:

If it's still warm, does that mean that it is or isn't a coprolite ?

If it's still warm, it's almost certainly got too much moisture content to be a coprolite

Instead it's a coproheavy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's where my mind went. He's a mysterious jetpack man in Los Angeles, and we got a lot of Nazis that need punching.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Is it not that company that's building jetpacks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHk13Xa8dqI

I'm not an aviation dude so I can't say this for sure, but I imagine they'd get a proper federal bollocking if they were found in any way to be responsible for putting a jetpack man into the airspace around a major airport without any flight plan or anything.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Unrelated but after seeing Karl Urban in DREDD I think he'd make a badass Doomguy if an actual good DOOM movie was ever made

Am I missing the joke, because he was Doomguy in the bad DOOM movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

Is 7 of 9 the Doomguy?

Yes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

It's not bs, either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaly-foot_snail

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, that technology exists and the great thing is you only have to shoot some of them before the bits smash all the others.

Thread-relevant:

(F-15 launching an antisatellite missile)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Come on.

Watchowskii

It's rude to imply that twins are clones

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This is why the action you take to get out of their way is named after them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The bolded part isn't true even in traditional Newtonian physics. Kinetic energy is 1/2mv2. The sum of the energy of two balls at 20 is much less than one ball at 40.

Choosing to observe from a point where one ball is at rest doesn't make the other ball strike it with any more energy, though. It just means the whole system you're considering has more energy than if you were looking at it from a different point.

When you're doing a collision calculation for one ball at rest and one ball moving, you also have to take the kinetic energy of the entire system into account, because the center of mass of the two balls is moving with respect to your frame of reference. This gives the whole two-body system a non-zero momentum and a non-zero kinetic energy, but this motion through space doesn't grant any extra energy or momentum to the interaction between the two bodies. The extra energy of the one ball moving at 40 vs the sum of the two balls moving at 20 mathematically accounts for the system's kinetic energy. If you do the math for the collision from the center of mass of the two bodies - this is the both balls moving at 20 case - it cancels out that system energy and ends up making the math a little simpler.

In both cases, momentum is conserved, and the change in momentum felt by each ball when they collide when both are moving at 20 is identical to the change in momentum if one was at 40 and one was at rest.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roblo posted:

I can guarantee that although her bike was off the shelf/from a bike shop it still "cost more than the average person makes in a month".

I looked it up and the basic off the shelf version cost £3200 and there's some minor to moderate customization and technical doodads

Still not what I would assume someone riding in the Olympics would use, let alone a gold medallist

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Herstory Begins Now posted:

few pages back people were posting some insane knapped flint/obsidian/quartz

have some mayan eccentrics

The most impressive gas station knives I've ever seen

Are they from the Mayan civilization, or like modern stuff done by Mayan people?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

THOSE ARE ALSO FAKE

Thank God, I was so worried about that Canadian lady who dropped deep fryer oil on herself

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reminder that hippos mark territory by violently defecating while flinging their tails in a circle to scatter it every which way

An animal whose lived experience is "the poo poo hits the fan"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Potoooooooo not only because of the pun but it's also the way I always say what this bird is

its a potooOOOooo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

This is how bald eagles flirt, btw.

The eagles were doing that with the gross pterodactyl things the Nazgul were riding at the end of LOTR

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Exactly. I saw somethin my brain don't have a spot for and it was like gettin bit on the crocodile by a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

By popular demand posted:

I just need the Doof Wagon and the musicians to work it:kingsley:

Before the Doof Wagon, there were these Russian jamokes, who I always figured came right out of an unaired Hanna-Barbera cartoon where they solve crimes

https://youtu.be/3VqmWGzK7UM