Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Do...do you adults realize Pokémon is a game targeted at children? Yes grown rear end adults like me are playing it but the target audience is tiny children. That would be like going "goddamn Sesame Street I know how to count already."

B-b-but Nintendo is supposed to cater to me specifically!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The music in Planet Coaster is abominable.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I have never cared about a rival in a Pokemon game and they seem to get more and more intrusive in every new edition. I don't care what you're up to, Hau, and I don't want to battle you every five minutes. Please leave.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

You can't have Batman without Joker, though. Even if you set aside the thematic dichotomy of the two characters, he's part and parcel of the product.

On the other hand, the Joker is the worst Batman villain, and the series would be better without him.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

being detained by his employers from finishing his work, and not even receiving recognition for his efforts in the end.

hell, maybe battle gear is a metaphor for the entire game in general.

Considering that Huey is wearing Kojima's glasses when he's exiled from Mother Base, that's not much of a stretch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Spinning Robo posted:

As a counterpoint, nintendo does something with their microtransactions that I wish other free games would do.

They have a 'real price' pegged for the game, usually about 20-30 dollars. Once you spend that amount on cash shop items, the game just goes "alright, you've bought the game" and gives you infinite energy/cash shop money/whatever else. That's why they label them as 'free to start' I think, is that they're trying to get around the pretense of it being an actual free game.

I'd much prefer that to most other freemium games where spending 50-100 dollars on microtransactions is still no guarentee that you won't run up against further paywalls.

Nintendo freemium games also don't seem to be quite as bullshit as others, I think. I've been playing the Fire Emblem mobile app and they throw free items at you so fast that I've never even had to think about spending real money. Same with Pokemon Shuffle.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The core concept of Sunset Overdrive doesn't really work. It's a zombie shooty game where you're expected to be moving pretty quickly at all times, but trying to aim a gun while you're zipping around in midair is incredibly frustrating.

Plus the music is awful oh my god.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just started playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, my first AC game, and it's so hard not to compare it unfavorably to Shadow of Mordor, which I just completed. The free running is OK but SoM's is so much better. The swordplay in AC is really lacking. Wraith Mode or Assassin Vision or whatever it's called isn't as useful. I know AC came first, but I guess it just hasn't aged well compared to similar, newer games.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

Miitopia: is not out yet and the demo seems to only have one save slot. i really hope it has two or three at launch so that my brother can also play. if you have a physical and a digital copy of a game on the same 3ds, is it possible to use the cart for your save, and the digital version for your sibling's save?

Just make a secondary profile on your system.

e: or maybe you can only do that on Wii U.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I picked up Sonic Adventure 2 because it's on sale in Steam and my goodness the soundtrack is worse than I remembered. And Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst thing to happen to the Sonic franchise.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

On a page full of bad opinions this is somehow the worst

are you a fan of the knuckles pumpkin rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukp1N4hI2Xg

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I hate how hard it is to find text walkthroughs these days. I don't want to scrub through a 20 minute video with somebody narrating what they're doing. I just want to search a text file for what I'm looking for.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I know I'm in the minority on this and there are ~lore and meta gameplay reasons~ but I hate that you can't just pause the game in the Dark Souls series. It's such a simple thing that you take for granted ever since Mario in the '80s and for it to be gone is really grating.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

The less I have to play as Tingle, Cia and Wizzro the better.

I'm sorry that you hate the three best characters in the game.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I haaaaate it when games give me different minigames. I just want to play the game i’ve been playing! Shadow Of War is good in this respect - plenty of stuff to do but it all revolves around murdering orcs

Saints Row 4 is the worst offender for this, in my opinion. I like the core gameplay but then the shop hacking, the free running, the light-up platforms, all those minigames are just horrible.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

All of the common gripes about botw make more sense if you think of the environment as a "character." It's something you're interacting with.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh yeah, it's programmed like poo poo, and nobody has any incentive to make it better. What's more disappointing is the lack of good Minecraft-likes all these years later.

Terraria is okay, if that's close enough

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Nintendo gets a lot of free passes. "Amiibos are fine because you get a figure!" is one of the most frustrating arguments when people use it to just completely handwave the fact that nintendo will happily gate entire segments of gameplay behind an amiibo purchase - not just cosmetic stuff.

When has this ever happened? Hard mode in Metroid obviously doesn't count.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Don't play the missions.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I would 100% play a god of war game where kratos murders the Christian god, Jesus, Adam, Samson, etc

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, I don't know. "rear end, bread, and fish" sounds like everything a person needs in life in the end. Not that lame.

No one rides for free!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I'm trying to think of the last time we had a chatty charismatic villain, drawing a blank

Hades in kid Icarus uprising

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The Concierge boss in Dead Cells is so bad. It's not hard but it has at least three times more health than it should, so you're just chipping away with no identifiable change in its health bar. I think it took me about seven minutes of boring combat.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

In Zelda BOTW those lion centaur things can go eat a thousand bags of dicks. I've been grinding my face against one of them for days and I think I'll have to leave, level up a bit my life meter and cook lots of things, and then come back. In a game that had so far shown a smooth difficulty curve, this is a super huge spike for which I was 100% not prepared.

If you're unprepared/lazy/sick of their poo poo you can erase them from existence with ancient arrows

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s unbelievable to me that the guy who did Geralt’s mediocre-to-bad voice acting in the first game is the same guy that did Geralt’s really good voice acting in the third. Is there an acting award for “Most Improved” because holy poo poo

I didn't play the first two but I hated geralt's voice in the third. Sounded like a mild mannered dad trying to imitate David Hayter's Snake

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

I should give undertale a shot someday. I grabbed it after all the hype but the initial areas didn't really hook me

I don't get the hype at all. The writing is poor and the gameplay is pretty bland.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Judge Tesla posted:

I did find Temmie Village earlier in Undertale and yes very funny toby fox I too remember lolcats.

Yeah, this was my problem with it. The game is just screaming "hey, isn't this so kooky???" the whole time. It's like he saw the endearing low key weirdness of earthbound and tried to recreate it with memes and nonstop fourth wall breaking

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

My problem with dead cells is that the ledge grab is too sensitive. Probably half the damage I take comes from trying to drop into a pit and accidentally climbing up the other side of it instead

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Attestant posted:

I'm just confused what the target audience is. Mainline Pokemon games haven't really ever been super difficult for kids, so the excessive streamlining and simplification seems a bit weird.

I guess they mainly want the audience that has never played anything that is not on a phone, but I feel like a 300 buck console and a 60 buck is a really hard sale for that crowd.

What's crazy is that I've only heard great things about it from my friends, none of whom play video games regularly. I think that's the target audience. Or maybe gamers are just awful people who can't like anything

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I don’t think BoTW is empty at all. The world is lousy with Korok seeds and Shrines

Yeah it's a bizarre complaint I see all the time. Botw has an incredibly interesting overworld, especially compared to the drab sameness of fallout/Skyrim/witcher

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass weren't the worst things in the world like people sold them to be.

The vehicles were just way too slow for how much traveling you had to do and the fast travel system wasn't good enough either.

Wind Waker let you do a little minigame with the same notes every time and you could go to any map square you'd visited before. Phantom Hourglass wanted you to draw a symbol into a slate and then it'd warp you somewhere into a quadrant of the sea. Spirit Tracks I think you had to shoot a tile and them blow the whistle to get a portal to open up and it'd send you somewhere else on the map that matched with it so you also had to keep notes about that stuff as well.

Spirit tracks had great music. And chugging around in the train was fun. But I'm the sicko who liked sailing in wind waker

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Is there an in-game reason I can climb anything except shrine walls?

I get the mechanical reason because it would ruin 90% of the puzzles just curious if there's an actual reason or not

You actually can, but link chooses not to out of respect for the ancient ways

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Len posted:

Oh neat and the left one just completely stopped itself and turned back on. Displayed battery life? Full

There's definitely something interfering with the signal. I had this happen and I fixed it by moving my switch farther away from my router

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Just gonna write off Ubisoft at this point. Assassin's Creed is going nowhere, Far Cry loving sucks now, they're turning all their franchises into the same dull, generic game. With incredibly bad writing.

Mario rabbit xcom was pretty good

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What's that game where you can shoot someone's sack and you get an x-ray view of their testes exploding?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Also: you can rip a woman's spine out through her rear end in a top hat

If you can also do that to a man, I'm happy with it. Non discriminatory rear end in a top hat spine removal

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Any game where a health upgrade is immediately followed by enemies that deal double damage, thus making the upgrade essentially pointless.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like the poison bee stinger rapier, or as I've been calling it, the Epee-Pen

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

The problem with Pokemon is it's two games now: one for the vast majority of us who want to see the different areas and beat the story, and another for the small but vocal group who do the grognard grind-breeding for competitive play. Most people don't care about the "metagame" and I don't fault Game Freak for focusing more on making the game fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

What finally drove me to pick it up was a friend telling me how much they liked the story, and particularly the ending, so that's super disappointing. I won't rule out doing it eventually, but I just don't feel like I have the stamina to get through it right now when I'm already beating my head against the wall at its delivery for the first few hours :(

It's not a good game.