Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I'm assuming that Prime 1, 2 and 3 are a single continuing story? Why do 2 and 3 look way more cartoony than 1? Like, without the labels I would assume that the first one was a totally different series (or at least a much later instalment).

I can't look it up right now, but I'd assume it's to match up with Zero Mission's design for her, which I think came out after Prime 1 and started the whole skintight spacesuit thing that Other M went all in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

The method for getting the upgraded jet pack in Cave Story, and therefore the best ending, makes no sense.

You enter a room with a wide pit you seemingly can't jump across, and you see a character fall in. You jump down, and with his dying breath he gives you a jet pack that you use to get back up. What you're supposed to do is make the precisely timed running jump to get over the pit, and later the character turns out be be alive and he gives you an upgraded jet pack.

How did you following the character down make him die?

The whole not trying to save Booster thing is dumb, but the machinegun weapon actually lets you hover jump when it's at full power, making it trivial to cross the gap. The whole pixel perfect jump thing is just if you want to keep the Polar Star.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Link Between Worlds has a similar issue, really. You start off with a new and interesting villain it's Not Gannon from Not Hyrule but then at the end of the game it's just ganon again. Ganondorf can be a cool villain when you set him up, I'll always love him in Wind Waker. But some of the unique Zelda antagonists are really cool and it's disappointing when they throw them aside because it always has to be ganon.

It's Ganon's soulless body being piloted by Not Gannon. Also it turns out that the original plan was for bizzaro Zelda to fix Lorule by teaming up with Yuga to take the triforce. Gameplay wise it's kind of disappointing for the fight to be Literally Ganon From LTTP for the first part, but I wouldn't fault it story wise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

Apparently, they are planning to make some way to cash in your 1st-gen dudes from the Virtual Console for the upcoming Pokemon Sun and Moon. I figured I'd go through Blue once on the 3DS just to try that, and I had a long plane ride where I thought, "gently caress it, why not?"

In fairness to Gen 1, Yellow at least fixes some of the move set jank. Or tries.

BioEnchanted posted:

For some reason I couldn't get into Soul Silver. It just felt... slower than the other games, just everything about it felt sluggish like it was running at a slow framerate or something.

It's mostly a faithful recreation of Gold/Silver balance-wise, and those games don't really hold up terribly well without being a dumb kid despite all the cool poo poo they did and the cooler stuff the remakes did. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Playing Wonderful 101, and it's a really great game even if I'm constantly getting bronze ranks or consolations on everything part chapter 1 (which even having watched an LP was still a total blast to play through), but one pretty lame thing is how sometimes it feels obtuse. Not the basic gameplay, that's great, but doing something like the minigame sections feels unfair to get graded on when most other games would have a "okay, this is how to do X in the tutorial before we get real".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sen's fortress wasn't that bad for me, that pain in the rear end silver knight archer gank squad in Anor Londo was way nastier than any of the traps In Sens.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I played through Shovel Knight sometime earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I decided to try playing as Plague Knight and wow, it is just amazingly bad.

Any time I land from a jump the character scoots forward pretty much an entire body length. The double jump is so ridiculously small you might as well just remove it and make the regular jump height slightly higher. When I charge up and do the explosion boost, if I don't touch left or right the character goes straight up and then has hardly any control horizontally. If I touch left or right when I release it, even when I'm at a complete standstill I go careening across the entire screen. If I throw a potion in midair, there's a small delay for the throwing animation where I don't have control over my movement and sort of float a little?

In a game as precision platforming oriented as this, I don't know how these controls are supposed to be manageable.

The game pretty much immediately after the tutorial level gives you a float option for your exploding jump, which makes things way better in that regard.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kazil posted:

Holy gently caress the late game of Final Fantasy XV is so inexcusably bad.

Gameplay details?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just finished my first run of Ratchet and Clank PS4, and I guess the thing dragging this down in a nitpicky way is that it feels like everything about the game being a game based off a movie very loosely (from what I can tell) based off the game is is detrimental to the overall experience and feels jarring. Also it's a remake of the first game but none of the old areas have a lot more to do except one, some planets are missing, and there's one new area, which makes it feel simple and barebones in a way even the $20 swan song title for the PS3 avoided.

On the other hand, the first PS3 had issues so maybe this is them partly figuring out the PS4 and the Going Commando remake'll be crazy good with all the old weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Christ, you'd think this wouldn't be a thing after Tactics Ogre tried it like 20 years ago and it was awful.

I thought the dumb crafting was yet another thing the remake added to make the game just as grindy as it's SNES counterpart in different ways.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Futuresight posted:

The plot summary of the main story of VII is fine. But the actual game's plot is so convoluted and noisy that the game does not explain itself well at all.

To be fair the game is kind of doing that on purpose; the main character is hosed in the head for like 85% of the story and all, and you're hunting down an evil space parasite that fucks with people's perception of reality to the point people think it's a renegade super soldier instead. Which I can see why people don't like it or find it confusing, because it's not very well translated so even the parts that were originally simple are dumb, but it's pretty ballsy for a game to have you go through an hour long flashback sequence to explain why you're hunting down Sephiroth in vivid detail, only for it to be largely a lie 20 hours later.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Leal posted:

Kickstarters that offer putting a pledger's character in games is going to be the biggest red flag for me.

Shovel Knight is a fantastic game and all of those were great bosses though? Their inclusion seemed a little weird insofar as everyone else is a knight, even the tiny bird man with a mask and the dude that's just a scuba diver, but none of them came anywhere near dragging down the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think there’s a skill point for hitting Ripto on his throne in that fight and I noped the gently caress out of that super hard in the remaster.

By all accounts it sounds like one of those things that should have been a disaster train wreck instead of a 85% really good remaster with 15% jank though, so I guess it could have been worse?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

The Castlevania 2 fan remake came out a few days ago, and for the most part it's a much better version of an infamously inscrutable game. However, there's one glaring drawback... the save system. In the original game, you had three lives and then you got a game over. Too many game overs and you'd get the bad ending if you ever managed to beat it. In the remake, though? You have a single life. And if you die you have to restart from a save point. This is still the same old Simon's Quest world map, so all those perilous jumps that existed before still exist, but you have to do them perfectly often several times. So far the only save points I've found are in churches in the towns, and the really hard bits are often a fairly long distance from the nearest town.

Even worse, it's not even a matter of getting gud or whatever, because Simon will still go flying a good ten feet if an enemy touches him. So you can do everything right and an enemy you didn't know was there can send you flying. And why wouldn't you be able to see an enemy? Because of the new nighttime effects. The remake did away with the "Horrible night to have a curse"/"Morning sun has vanquished the horrible night" text boxes and instead the transition is instant. And when it's night time, you can't see poo poo. Most of the screen gets obscured with an 85% opacity black filter, and only a tiny circle of light remains around Simon. While it's possible to see stuff outside of the circle of light if you squint and lean in close to your monitor, it's a quick recipe for a tension headache.

EDIT: Here's two comparison screenshots.

This is one of the towns during the daylight.

This is the exact same spot at night. :catstare:

So were they just dedicated to Castelvania 2’s particular aesthetic of not liking the player, cause no level checkpoints sounds pretty brutal even back in the day and it just sounds like a different solution instead of a better one unless I’m missing something.

Last Celebration has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Aug 19, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Range in general does good with it too, but even with a strong melee build you just kinda have to accept that you’re gonna be turtling for a good while or just gonna facetank some damage to get it over with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh that's just a series tradition, Yakuza games love to send you running all over the map to find random items, at least you can see sidequest markers on the map in 0, that was a new gameplay feature at its release, I believe Yakuza 5 was the first with it.

Kinda, 5 just has it but doesn’t become a series staple till Kiwami 2, in 0 you need to do some side stuff for the accessory that shows them, in K1 the item’s there but basically almost free.

Speaking of, a little thing dragging down a bunch of the Yakuza games is the sub story accessibility jank. The remasters show them on the map but the 3/4 ones are still janky sometimes cause the game wasn’t built to show them until you already started them.

But the worst of them is Yakuza 6, where there’s a day/night system that affects what substories you can start along with the story progress that you can’t tinker with until either the literal end of the game or postgame. I don’t have a lot of fond memories for Y6 and it’s probably my second-least favorite entry at least 50% cause you’ll just miss a bunch of stuff that itself unlocks the more involved side content like the dive bar, baseball, and/or fishing.

There’s a lot of jank in 6 that comes from it being both the end of the Kiryu story and the debut of the Dragon Engine that I won’t judge it too harshly for but substories not being visible in a post-patch era of gaming is just baffling cause Yakuza Kiwami 2 uses the same engine and just lets you buy a skill for cheap so you can choose to preserve the “original” scavenger hunt or have them be visible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, I’m playing that new Taro game Voice of Cards and the game is kinda quaint, it’s not setting the world on fire but it’s a solid enough little budget JRPG that’s basically “what if Yoko Taro’s crew did a more normal game” and that’s fine. Two things are a drag though:

- there’s no combat speedup option, I definitely feel like it’s as ubiquitous to conventional turn-based combat as dual audio in Japanese games at this point cause even the remaster of Dragon Quest XI has it iirc. But it is a Yoko Taro budget game so idk what I expected.

- the encounter rate is about twice as high as it needs to be for pretty simple “mash X to win, maybe pick crowd control options to win faster” combat which is kind of a drag along with the first issue.

Overall it’s okay if you know you’re just getting a mostly standard game with some dry humor and weirdass possible terrifying lore dumps out of nowhere.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I only played the demo but it works well enough as something that you’ll almost assuredly fail but you CAN try to get out of. I was under the impression that it works like the normal counters where you’re supposed to hit the counter button when the enemy glints so it’s something thats an extension of normal gameplay, unless I misunderstood it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Probably, it also doesn’t help that some LPers left when Lowtax was a massive prick to VoidBurger.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at a point in Dragon Quest 11 where I feel I have to grind a bit now because the boss fight with the giant octopus is ruining my day badly. I've already got some new spells that will be quite nice for the fight that I didn't have before, but I hate when games let me get away with not grinding too much and then throw a really hard fight all of a sudden. My main problem is that he does a chunk of damage to multiple characters at a time and that's hard to recover from in this game.

It’s not outstandingly conveyed, but that fight has a trick where you can get an NPC to subdue him for a bunch of turns iirc. Also, are you using Sylvando? He gets a party heal that’s pretty op until like halfway through the postgame.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Dragon Quest 11 has a neat take on that with Hendrick After he spends the whole game being manipulated by the villain until eventually due to his stupidity the world is destroyed, the second half of the game begins with him doing everything he can to save people in the apocalypse, making a name for himself as an actual hero, and then he spends the rest of the game making it up to the main character and his party by joining their quest to fix everything and kill the baddie

Hendrick’s arc is one of my favorite little things in DQ11 in general. He just starts off as a kinda boring henchman of the bad guy that maybe wasn’t always bad and just gradually becomes a bro in an unexpected way. I think I just expected him to be a temp party member even after initially recruiting him but it’s super cool that one of the only time the Luminary shows any emotion is the handshake after Hendricks apologizes for being a dick.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So, I’ve played the main six Ace Attorney games and this is really a small nitpick:

The games transition from being 2D to 3D and there’s a lot of effort put into making the most out of the 3D models to make them largely more energetic and endearing than the old GBA games could be. They’re also very faithful to the old GBA sprites’ animations, which actually bugs me a tiny bit when it comes up with Phoenix who looks kinda…simple compared to the little quirks of most characters’ models.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, there's not really much to it other than build yourself up for the boss' levels now. If you're using greatswords, I'd recommend going to the First Forest Whale Way Station and fighting the Spawny Devils there till they drop their greatswords. Those things are an absurd power jump for equipment and should help even things out a bit.

Also there’s the usual Obligatory Dragon Quest Postgame Budget Dungeon that reuses assets from the main story that unlocks by getting to the end of the postgame story. It feels like you’re meant to intermittently do that along with the postgame story arcs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Caphi posted:

They used to take your weakness so you'd have to catch something to counter it, but I guess at some point they switched from "rival" to "chump who exists to make you feel better about yourself." Hau in XY honestly made me feel uncomfortable with how aggressively his entire shtick was "you're so cool, player, I'll never be as totally awesome as you."

I don’t think I felt super uncomfortable but then again I didn’t have a strong counter to his Alola Raichu the first time he whipped it out and got swept for it. I had a Mudbray but it just got dropped before it could land an attack :v:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Kingdom Hearts III, I signed up for a lot of annoying poo poo like playing mini games of dubious, varying quality for ultimate weapons so I’m not gonna complain much about that.

But it is VERY rude that there’s a bizarre glitch that makes it so that if you pick up ingredients, die, and then pick Continue that the game thinks you already grabbed them. I mean, they made a whole patch to make controlling the character more fun, one glitch should be easy in comparison!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

Well it’s a terrible change :colbert:

I’m digging the TG16 version of Rondo though. I’ve been looking for a way to play it without spending a fortune for years.

Edit: sorry, Castlevania Requiem, not Chronicles

Double edit: Having the opening video in German with English subtitles (because presumably, Richter is German) is a weird choice.

Triple edit: holy poo poo this game is hard as balls. Richter is so drat slow it’s hard to avoid incoming attacks and hit back vs the bosses. The alternate boss of level 1 is handing me my rear end. They took away all of Richter’s snazzy movement tech fighting game input commands. Really missing that blade slash move right about now.

If it helps you get another PC if you didn’t already know, they take hits worse (although idk if it’s even by a significant amount) but feels smoother iirc. You can’t reenact the opening of SOTN though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Maria summons a freaking dragon as one of her sub weapons, she owns.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

Did Deadlocked have a different name over there? Neat

Iirc a few of them do cause making thinly veiled innuendoes as your title was frowned on.

But yeah, Deadlocked is cool, it’s just non-stop blowing poo poo up, idk if I’d want an entire game of that, but it’s a neat little send-off to the PS2 games, especially since the writing style so much after.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve been playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, it’s not great as a character action game the way II/III can be on their highest difficulties but it’s pretty fun to just mindlessly beat on things cause the main gameplay gimmick is leveling special attack commands and mashing them together for more special attacks.

But something kind of lame is that you can get key items that tell you what you’re making instead of using a guide, but the guide for “ultimate” commands requires so much arena grinding that you’ll just clown on everything anyway.

Also, something very lame is that the most accessible Final Mi (director’s cut) version adds a new boss fight where you fight alternatively outside and inside Monstro (the whale from Pinocchio) and man is the part where you fight the whale outside real real bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m finally playing The Great Ace Attorney and while I appreciate how the series kinda narratively writes reasons why your Case 1 PC Is kind of bad at lawyering (often a new PC amnesia, etc), it’s still kinda tedious that there isn’t an option for the game to not spoon feed me gameplay mechanics to slow down what’s kind of a legitimately interesting first case. It’s only a little thing because this game especially seems like a good entry to the series so I can’t be too mad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it’s not a huge bummer cause the game is pretty fun but I’d be lying if i said it wasn’t a little vague on stuff. Maybe that’s just a non-Dark Souls From things because Bloodborne is almost deliberately vague with the premise of “just go out and kill a few beasts, it’s for your own good really” with the actual lore of how the Yharnumites went into chalice dungeons and started drinking Cthulhu monster blood they found and it did Weird poo poo flying over my head.

Edit: we’ll that explains things pretty well, guess I’m dumb

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought it was supposed to be deliberately calm and subdued, like it was Old Man Dandelion trying to sound regal or whatever, but that’s just me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

I am annoyed at Gwent once more. I've run into a different blacksmith playing a monster deck which has an ability called muster which allows them to play any same named card from your deck. Again, Gwent is a game that doesn't allow you to draw cards so imagine my surprise when she played a vampire card and five more cards immediately came into play, each with power between 4 and 8. I even had the ability that reduced their segment to 1 attack each and I still lost that round due to their overwhelming numbers.

Oh, and this person has multiple groupings of muster cards, so the second round they threw out another four monster in one turn and still had 6 cards to my 3.

I cannot find someone to play against who doesn't outcheese me and I have no idea how to get a better deck because I can't beat anyone. I really should stop playing it, but I can see how it might be really fun if I actually had interesting cards.

Honestly I burnt out on Gwent for that same reason you’re having problems with, but Muster at least gets hard countered by that one card that sets the attack of everything in a row to 1 since every Muster-compatible enemy that I saw is front row only.

Kinda sucks, because even ignoring stuff like side quests attached to it it’s a fun game, you’re just inevitably gonna have someone whip out a high end legendary card. I think the exact moment my spirit broke completely was having a Geralt card used against me…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Yeah that irritates me too.

Especially in rpgs where you xan easily end up in a situation where you either die repeatedly to a boss, or win by totally ignoring all their mechanics

I did Witcher 3 like this because the part of the game anyone who didn’t read the books wants to engage in (and honestly a lot of people who wanted more vignettes like the first two books) was just like sixty hours of side quests and I’m not sure how I felt about just curbstomping everything after the point the game told me “YOU REALLY MIGHT WANNA FINISH ALL YOUR SIDE QUESTS OR MAKE ANOTHER SAVE, JUST A SUGGESTION”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of bosses, it always bugs me in games where there's a big climactic moment and your character unlocks some ultra power and the music swells and its so fuckin awesome and...you die. Have to restart from a checkpoint, watch a loading screen, sucks all the momentum out of the moment.

Like, imagine if at the end of Super Metroid, when you get the hyper beam, mother brain could still kill you instead of being absolutely loving wrecked by it. Would suck. If there's going to be a moment like that, don't make it just an increase in power, make me a force of unstoppable destruction, even if, later in the battle, that moment ends due to plot.

I think there’s an achievement in Ys Origins for when one of the protagonists gets juiced up on demon power if you die after a lategame boss, is that better or worse?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dark Souls 3 had some enemies that were weak to fire like the giant leechmen, swamp people and Pus of Men spaz the gently caress out, but yeah it’s kinda silly that the series doesn’t have some kind of sound effect or gilded/red damage numbers when using the most efficient/ineffectual damage type.

Frank Frank posted:

My beef with Elden ring is that when you pick up a new item, you don’t see the item’s description and your inventory is HUGE which is a problem when most items have ridiculous names like “ancestral infant’s head”. Is it a key item? A talisman? A shield? Who loving knows! You can either spend 5 minutes digging through your inventory until you figure out where the item landed or just look it up on fextralife.

To be fair this at least makes sense, although if you’re playing offline it should be an option because iirc you just get normal item windows in Sekiro. Also Elden Ring does have an icon telling you the category (spell/crafting/key item/etc), its been saving me a lot of inventory digging. :v:

Last Celebration has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Mar 7, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
My ER problem now at present is that the game is giving me fuckall material to upgrade past my current +4 and the mine dungeons have skipped straight to the next few tiers. Which in retrospect is because I switched to a bastard sword so yeah, this is That One Janky Thing in every FromSoft game (blood vials, adaptability, hating mages, etc) has.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda get when I can do it for like big camps and wide open areas that are mini battle sites that might otherwise be unpleasant one-on-one, but yeah it feels like there’s a decent chunk of zones where it might be nice to have someone drawing aggro but tough titties.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah Elden Ring is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Soulsborne in general is low key kind of humorous to varying degrees. I guess it belongs in the opposite thread but there’s a dungeon in DS3 with an enemy that’s just an orgy ball of skeletons, only the last skeleton ball has a little baby crab pop out when you kill the skeleton wizard controlling it and it falls apart.