Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deltasquid posted:

Maybe romance is extremely hamfisted, awkward and embarrassing to the onlookers, whether it's in media or otherwise?

Not really dragging a game down but a company as a whole: Atlus, I love your games. I don't love waiting for more than a year after Japan and US release before I can play my EU version, especially not if you region lock your game. You have the honor of creating the only god drat region locked game on PS3. :drat:

We've been drawing the short straw on game releases in the EU regions since the SNES days, Deep Silver and Rising Star are the publishers who release all the quirky japan only games we'd never see outside of import shops nowdays however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Go away Demons, I'm trying to mine Hellstone and not burn to death in Lava, the Underworld in Terraria sucks, best of it is, there's a nasty boss fight down there too, apparantly I have to build a gigantic bridge to fight it properly too, so that'll be fun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hard Mode in Terraria really doesn't gently caress around, the very first night in hard mode I have a Blood Moon event and my house gets attacked by dozens of Wraiths, Unicorns and Werewolves, two ingame days later, a Pirate Invasion happens, and on the same day another Blood Moon happens!

I'm enjoying the new enemies and things to craft but, holy hell is it tough.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, Livid Dead is about on par with classic Rayman in terms of difficulty, need I remind anyone of the infamous music levels from Rayman 1? or the horrific mountain stages?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Playing Dungeon Siege III with a friend at the moment. It's...it's not a great game. But there are three problems with it that really make the experience a lot less enjoyable than it could be, three things that don't exactly require a redesign of the game's mechanics.

1) The camera is loving awful. You'd think with two players on separate computers that you'd each get your own camera, but no - you share a camera and must stay within range of each other at all times, even if the other person dies. This leads to deaths. Wouldn't be so bad if the camera angle wasn't zoomed so loving close to your character that you can't see what's more than five meters ahead of you. Also you can't change the pitch, or the zoom, the best you can do is turn it.

2) Lack of checkpoints. You die, you lose all your progress since your last save. This can get really, really loving annoying since save point placement is often poorly done, like a cutscene, conversation, four battles, another conversation, and a boss before you see another checkpoint, hope you don't die and have to do all that poo poo again!

3) No large map. There's a minimap, but god help you if you want to zoom out to get your bearing. Lots of getting lost, lots of consulting online guides because when they say "Go to Stonebridge" there is literally no goddamn way to know where that is. Oh, and quest markers only appear when they are close on the minimap, there's no arrow or anything pointing you in their direction.

We're having fun with the dialogue and the combat, but gently caress, the game has some serious usability problems that should've been caught. We'd blame it on being a port from the consoles (the camera issue, especially), but this is still simple poo poo that could've been fixed.

Have you heard about Jayne Kessinder yet? I've heard that Jayne is a real bad woman, did you know Jayne destroyed the old Legion? She's a bad woman that Jayne Kessinder!

Get used to hearing that name through out Dungeon Siege 3!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

The one part I hate in 4 is when Salazar's right hand man comes after you. The sequence has you going back and forth a stretch of hallway while dodging the attacks on a particularly strong enemy. He's not invincible and you can definitely drop him but he's so tanky that using up all your ammo just to kill him isn't worth it in the long run. He's more of an enemy you come back to kill on New Game Plus when you have the infinite ammo Chicago Typewriter or a good magnum.

Or you could just use the Rocket Launcher you find not long before fighting Verdugo to blow him to pieces in a single shot.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I've always assumed that Resident Evil took place in a world where architects were trying to one up each other in creating convoluted locking systems.

That's pretty much canon, the architect who designed Spencer Mansion and much of Raccoon City was a huge fan of crazy cryptic puzzles, as was Spencer himself, which is why every Umbrella owned facility was a nightmare of puzzles and everything being insane design wise.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I'm surprised you had the patience to get through that game once.

Gotta love the scene where one of the characters gets mortally wounded and talks nonstop for 20 minutes while dying, the ending cutscene is even worse, forty five minutes of talk, and none of it makes any sense!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Monsters cannot spread corruption anymore. Also, there used to be an enemy that could break your blocks. This has also been stopped.

It's pretty much required to get your house off ground level in hardmode Terraria, unless you like Wraith's coming through the walls and killing everyone.

My first hardmode Blood Moon was a total massacre.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Well she needed to train it better because it was hurling radioactive goo at me. :colbert:

I remember Regulator HQ in Fallout 3 being an absolute nightmare for really dangerous multiple spawns like deathclaws and radscorpions (and robots and yao guai).

Big Town in F3 would usually end up being destroyed by Super Mutants/Deathclaws since it was one of the few towns that had no invisible walls or loading screens for protection.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

This website is hosed up... All of you are loving twisted.

Hey man, all's fair in love and war, and also sending people to watery graves.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

MysticalMachineGun posted:

:hfive:

If you're willing to go back to RE5, managing Sheva's inventory is the way to go. Give her guns and stuff you don't want to use, and thus she can't hold you back too badly.

Or better yet, unlock infinite ammo for a weapon and give her that, then you'll never have to manage her ammo ever again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've mentioned this a few times in the thread but, the main thing bringing down Hyrule Warriors for me is, the lack of voice acting, I know this is something Nintendo rarely does, but you can't have a Dynasty Warriors game where nobody talks, and talking in text and awful voice clips doesn't really count either.

If I hear Lana go "Kyaahh, "Hwahhhhh", Eyaarrrhh" one more time, I'll probably go deaf.

I could also complain about the allied AI being mostly useless but, that's a long standing tradition with DW/Musou games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Hey man, Fi and Midna have fully acted dialogue.

This might hold up for a Zelda game, but for a DW game, unacceptable. :colbert:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

This has always been more of a feature than a problem. Your responsibilities in Warriors games are divided between pursuing enemy officers and keeping your own braindead rank-and-file from drowning in grunts. Hyrule Warriors may actually have the most competent allies of any Musou game to date - one of them even captured an enemy base for me! That has never happened.

I got a laugh when "Hyrule Captain has captured Southern Fort" popped up once, the nameless Soldiers did better than the named officers, for a change.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

scarycave posted:

Blowing into the DS to use the the fan got old fast.
Also, 1-hit kill trains.

The 1 hit kill trains of the early game weren't so bad, but after about the half way mark, Homing Trains spawn, and these things will follow you everywhere, they move faster than you, know the fastest routes to your current location, and will even reverse and change directions if you give one the slip, they are the worst thing ever.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Daedo posted:

Lucky for you Bungie have you covered with their first DLC pack coming in December! So you can then play the NEW Strikes over and over again because there is nothing else to do...

As much as I like Destiny, the large gaps between content is really dragging the experience down, saying "it'll get better, just give it time, I promise" can only go so far since many people will just move on to other games by then.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Diablo 3's drop system bugs the poo poo out of me, and it quickly saps my desire to continue playing. There's no specificity to anything: maybe that monster will drop a item, but there's an equal chance of it dropping everything else besides what you're gunning for.

I'm spoiled by World Of Warcraft's drop system, I suppose. I like compiling a list of items I want, and know that if I attack specific enemies enough, I will get those items.

To be fair, if every boss in Diablo 3 had a loot table like in WoW, people would very quickly be done with the game, like other dungeon crawlers, Diablo relies upon random drops to keep people hooked, and even when legendaries do drop, you have to cross your fingers that it's any good to start with. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

To me it's the difference between Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas. Both games require your input to go anywhere, but Fallout 3 is much more overt about it - the radio is "Hey the Lone Wanderer did a thing," whereas the radio in New Vegas is more like "a thing happened to these people" without necessarily mentioning the player. New Vegas appears to have more interests at play in its world besides your own, so that makes sense when you hear it.

To be fair, the Capital Wasteland is a lot less busy than New Vegas, so anything that happens would make the local news, Three Dog even says as much, since he spends his days spreading the "Good News", no matter how small or insignificant it may be.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

My problem with Dark Souls 2 is that they seem to have mis-typed the title. What I expected was a sequel to Dark Souls and what I got was a sequel to Demon's Soul.

Bloodborne is literally Demons Souls 2 anyway, right down to having the main From dev team and Sony assistance.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Morpheus posted:

In DS2 it's just 'lol I have a hundred herbs om nom nom full health bitches'.

Well, this was yet another feature bought in from Demons Souls, with the endless healing grass you could acquire!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Steam does achievements well of games, it shows you how many others got it.
And you can order them on your own profile of how rare they are.

Atm, my rarest achievement is Saints Row 3 'You're My Hero!'. Only 0.83% of all players have this.

The PS4 and Vita do this as standard, it's pretty interesting though as you go through the achievements for a game and seeing the completion percentage steadily go down for each one.

Diablo 3 is a good one, according to my list 83% of players beat the Skeleton King, the first major boss, while only a tiny amount, less than 15% beat Malthael, the final boss in Reaper of Souls.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Bushmaori posted:

Then turns into a killing machine with his glorious nippon steel?

Only once he meets the ancient (and blind) gardener, the two then cleanse Japan of the undead, alone might I add, since everyone, SDF included, had abandoned the islands.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The voice clips used by characters in Hyrule Warriors are driving me insane, every five seconds one of the Hyrule Captains lets out a really loud "Eyeahaaa" and since these guys love to get beaten up, you'll hear it near constantly, especially on the longer missions.
Lana also has her own yell, as does everyone, but her's is the true evil, as it's high pitched and makes me see red, and since the AI is REALLY BAD in Hyrule Warriors, you'll hear these yells all the loving time!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So Persona 4, great game, probably the best game on the Vita and I've put more than 90 hours into it, but, it has one problem, one tiny thing that drags it down for me, it takes so goddamn long to start a new game, from the time you see Igor's big nose in the intro to when you eventually fight Shadow Yoskue is a good few hours of gameplay, and even then things don't get rolling properly until Yukkiko gets grabbed a few hours later again.

I just want to be able to summon Satan and Lucifer sooner game!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Fortunately, the vita version let's you press start in events so it fast forwards.
That is a real good addition that I do not remember from the ps2 verion.

:vince: I've played P4 so many times on the Vita as mentioned but never knew this was a thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In Arkham Asylum I cut the rope that an inmate was holding onto so that he fell head first into poison gas. His status after that was unconscious.

Arkham Asylum and City operate in the same way the censored dubs of Dragonball Z did, even if you get hurled into space, or blown into a billion pieces, you are only knocked out, or sent to another dimension, but never killed!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

"Bombers" in Dying Light are your typical suicide zombie. Unlike, say, every single other bloody version of such an enemy in other games they're near silent (screaming only a half-second before they explode and sometimes not even then) without any distinct appearance except for easily missed blood boils.

They can kill you in one hit. :argh:

That's a change from Dead Island where you'd hear the exploding zombies from literally miles and miles away.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Was there ever a reason as to why the clothing customization options were dropped from ORAS, that was literally the best feature of X/Y and is something that really drags the game down for me that it's gone.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In South Park: The Stick of Truth it can be very annoying whenever a checkpoint is paired up with a QTE. One example is the part where you have to give Randy Marsh an abortion. First you have to put on your hospital scrubs and then you have to engage with a very easy to lose QTE as the game doesn't give you the right instructions. The first-time player will rip off Randy's testicles many times by mistake and get a game-over.

Unless you live in the EU regions and didn't buy the PC versions, you never saw any of these minigames, the first and only one I saw was the Bomb defusing one at the end of the game, we just got sarcastic censorship cards instead of games.

Thanks Ubisoft.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

-Reapers chasing you around in the galaxy map. I don't understand how this was intended to add to the entertainment value. It's just frustrating.

The deafening "HOOOOOOOONK" sound when the Reapers detect you on the map is funny the first few times but just becomes a very loud annoyance after that.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The one time Shepard did take everyone for a mission, The Collectors invaded the ship, the crew got kidnapped and Joker almost died, granted this was down to a Reaper trap, but still. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

World Famous Whore posted:

I'm pretty sure the higher up Unitologists knew what the hell they were doing. Might be wrong, been awhile since I played them and never did finish three.

Oh they knew exactly what was happening, Unitology's leaders are insane, the ones you meet in Dead Space 3 are even more so.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

loving GTA V. It has alot of problems, lack of a powertrip, plot with the theme of "crime DOESN'T pay" stuck way up in the rear end, too much bickering that only sets the tone like 45 hours into the game when the tone is already set. Its car garage systems is still terrible for some reason. Way too few heist missions.

But these things are all fine. What I did. Not. Want. To. Pay. For. Was the pathetic loving edgyyy plot. I did not want to go through the torture scene, I didn't think it was hilarious when trevor said he murdered Rons friends, I hated it when trevor murdere the husband and wife after making their house his base of operations.

Dan houser obviously thinks he is way smarter than every consumer out there, what with all the scenes where the main characters make fun of fat white gamer stand-ins.

I started out being mad. Now I feel ashamed. I actually haven't felt shame about gaming up until now. I spent money on this. It just is so incredibly mean-spirited and juvenile and awkward and I hate it. When did Rockstar Games start resenting the consumers so much?

To be fair, Floyd really should have known better than to pull a knife on Trevor and Debra did pull a gun on him, kinda playing with fire there guys! :v:

And while Trevor did kill Wade's friends, he did go easy on the guy at the end, since he hangs out in the Strip Club once Trevor seizes control over it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The console versions of Terraria were updated today and we've gotten the Frost Moon event, and holy poo poo is it hard, the Pumpkin Moon event was bad enough but this is a nightmare, I really get that Terraria is best played with other people and these events smash you over the head with it.

For people going it alone, you basically need to build a special custom arena, fill it with traps and you yourself had better be in endgame armour and using the best weapons or else, you will know pain.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The only bad thing about Destiny for me is the high cost of the DLC expansions when it barely adds anything new, a couple strikes and a raid, for £19.99, that's more than the full season pass for Borderlands 2 which included 4 DLC content packs of varying length.

Terrible value for money but par for the course with Activision when it comes to DLC content prices.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mass Effect 1 on the 360 had this issue, you'd see it a lot on Turians or Asari as their facial tattoos would often take a while to load in, which made a lot of scenes comical as tattoos suddenly appeared half way through.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Esroc posted:

Finally decided top give Dark Souls 2 a try and I don't get the appeal. Everyone gushes over the "difficulty" of the series and how high stakes the game is, but the difficulty doesn't stem from brilliant game design or amazing balance. The difficulty is solely based on the fact that the game has the most horrendous control scheme and button response I've ever seen and making your character perform the simplest of actions is an exercise in futility.

I guess gimping the player with a nightmare of a control scheme is a kind of difficulty, but it's not the kind I was expecting.

If you do treat the game like Skyrim and charge in, sword flailing wildly then you'll just get pasted constantly, that said however, once and if you get used to the slower combat then you can indeed go charging right in, enemies move and attack fairly predictably and a few seconds spent to see how they move is all you need.

Dark Souls 2 isn't very creative with enemy design, most of the bosses and enemies are variations of Giant Dude with Giant Weapon.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn Sinh in Dark Souls 2, I wish I could cut that loving dragon's wings off, he barely stays on the ground long enough to attack before he rockets into the sky and bombards you with poison fireballs, or he comes crashing into you from behind and then leaps into the sky again for another fireball assault.

The usual dragon strategy of staying behind him doesn't work well as he's really fast and loves to either jump/fly away or turn suddenly and claw swipe you, and the ultimate troll is that he's immune to lightning and one of the NPC summons is a faith user who throws lightning spears for a mighty 6 damage.

Since Scholar of the First Sin only just launched on PS4, not many human summons are around for assistance, I have even beaten the Fume Knight but this dumb dragon is giving me more hassle than he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The Pre Sequel is better balanced than BL2 but it has the loving Lost Legion Eternals who show up near the end of the game, those guys are amazingly accurate and if you don't kill them fast enough, they transform into Ascended Eternals and basically gain Siren style powers.