Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Hirsute posted:

Sometimes I enjoy playing older games that I never got around to before, but holy poo poo can those old save systems be annoying. It's probably mostly my fault, I'm just lazy since modern games are good about autosaving, but it's real frustrating when I do something like play GTA3 for several hours and completely forget to save before quitting the game. I just didn't have the desire to redo all those missions so I dropped the game completely.

Also did that with the HD remaster of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within because of a game-ending bug a couple of hours in. Second time in recent memory that's happened to me with an older Ubisoft game (Far Cry 2 is the other one). Making multiple saves to avoid having to completely restart a game is another thing I never remember to do...

See, I'm the exact opposite: I hate how reliant modern games are on autosaves, to the point that there either isn't a manual save option, or it's buried under 80 menus, and for precisely the reason you just said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What are games where a numerical upgrade is a visual downgrade that you can't change or transmogrify?

In Daemon X Machina, you can purchase cybernetic implants for your character that actually reflect on their model, i.e. buying cybernetic eyes cause their eyes to glow. Now, I only played the demo, so I don't know for certain how bad it gets, but even the eye thing kinda made me wary.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ya know, speaking of games being transphobic and otherwise kind of skeevy...

I've been playing Yakuza 0 recently, and just unlocked the real estate minigame. For those of you don't know, this minigame puts up against a group called 'the Five Billionaires', and each member (called 'Kings') has their own design and gimmick. I.e. the Electronics King is an otaku, the Media King dresses like a foreigner and calls himself the 'Disco King', etc.

Well, one of the Five Billionaires is the Pleasure King, who made their fortune off of adult services like telephone clubs and cabarets. And... I swear to god, I have never seen a more stereotypical caricature of a trans person in my life. He is literally the classic 'transwomen are just men in dresses' thing, and his voice is a guy doing a bad falsetto. Adding to the badness is that he is either homosexual or bisexual, as he makes frequent flirty remarks towards Kiryu (who is, of course, made uncomfortable by the situation). I also kind of got the sense they painted him as a sexual predator, but I fully admit that I'm not sure if I was just reading into things that weren't there on that.

I'll be honest, I usually have thicker skin than this, but the Pleasure King really does just make me uncomfortable. It doesn't help that I just... can't see this character's design in a good light. At best, if I really squint, the most I can come up with is that it's supposed to be a jab at drag queens, which... really isn't any better.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Some Goon posted:

Are people intentionally roping still a rampant issue in Hearthstone? I haven't played in a few years.

It's actually become even worse, if you can imagine it. The new reward system gives you XP the longer a game goes on, so now everyone is intentionally roping to milk a few extra XP out of every match.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You are not going to finish Kiwami. The enemy hyper-armor and knockdown will see quiting by chapter 10.

As someone who recently finished Kiwami myself, I can confirm that the only reason I completed it is because I wanted to see how the story ended. It's really astonishing, in a way, that in their efforts to 'fix' what was 'wrong' with combat in 0 (airquotes because honestly the worst thing about 0's combat was that it erred on the side of easy), they overtuned it to the point combat was just an unfun slog. By the end of the game I was just using Tiger Drop against everything so it would end quicker.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

As me and my brother like to joke, Fable's entire morality system boils down to: "Save the baby? Or eat the baby?"

Didn't stop us from loving the poo poo outta the games tho.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Vandar posted:

I hate when devs do this. This is the reason why I skipped Asura's Wrath, dammit.

Okay I am legally obligated to respond to this cuz I love Asura's Wrath: the ending wasn't originally supposed to be DLC, they were actually setting things up for an Asura's Wrath 2. But then the game didn't sell, like, at all, and the devs were told instead of a full game to finish up the story, they would only have a DLC pack. Whether that all makes it better or not is up to you, but I feel it is important to know.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I always set brightness to max in games because my eyesight is poo poo and, as others have stated, wandering around in the dark is the opposite of fun.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Since you guys have kindly explained Twitch notifications (I don't get the appeal myself but whatever), can you explain why some some streamers do "raid countermeasures", which is typically a really long silly video that breaks up the actual gameplay? I get raids, it's a way of giving a stream more viewers but what are countermeasures all about?

Kinda late responding to this but...

I once heard the explanation that a raid countermeasures video is supposed to be like a snapshot of what a given stream/streamer is about- the kind of jokes they make, the content they do, etc.- with the idea being to make some of the raiders interested so they come back to the stream instead of just sticking around for the raid and loving off.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Morality systems in games have never been good, because as it turns out, condensing all of human morality and the thought processes that go into it down to "here's three options, you literally can't do anything else" doesn't work. I think Fable 2 kind of came the closest, by having separate "good/evil" and "pure/corrupt" sliders... except, if I recall correctly, purity and corruption were tied to things like 'do you use protection when having sex' or 'do you eat healthy' and not, like, your actual moral actions.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Stexils posted:

good grief the combat in yakuza 0 sucks. i hope it's just an early game thing but i'm basically just button mashing and i don't feel like there's any consistent way to avoid damage in the group fights the game is constantly throwing at me. maybe they realized this because you can pause and infinite use whatever healing items you have stocked in unlimited amounts? that you can do that makes it feel like the devs were aware that this is an issue. the first boss fight especially, it felt impossible to avoid lots his attacks and i got through it by chugging all the healing items i had rather than learning his patterns or using combos.

it's a shame because i love everything else in the game.

As someone who has played both 0 and Kiwami 1 and is currently playing through Kiwami 2: the games really prefer you to block enemy attacks instead of dodging them. Generally the only time dodging should even be an option is when the enemy is using a bladed weapon or a gun.

In 0 at least, though, there's a style you get that completely flips this on its head by straight up not having a traditional 'guard', but in return you get 3 dodges and eventually the ability to dodge in the middle of a combo.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Morpheus posted:

I'm just reminded how much I loving hate when MJ says stuff like 'why won't you let me risk my life'

Because, MJ, you had to sneak by twenty guys with assault rifles to come into this base and if you died it would gently caress me, Spider-Man, up immensely. I, Spider-Man, thwipped down from above in about forty seconds and could've grabbed it without any issue.

Like, poo poo MJ, do you want to take on Rhino as well? Want to try that? Oh what's that you'd die? Funny, that.

Yeah, that really bugged me to, she acts like Peter's being unreasonable by not wanting her to sneak through these places filled with armed guards that, presumably, can and will shoot her on sight. It's especially bad because she never does anything to try and make her journeys easier herself; the decoy mines were given to her by Peter, and the taser she gets in the last mission was originally a Sable guard's.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Nuebot posted:

So I've been replaying Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth because I felt like doing a simple rear end grindy JRPG and I'm really starting to feel my original complaints about this game's systems. For example, there's one skill that lets you double your next attack's damage. Except it can only be cast on the monster that has the skill, which means you're just kind of innately taking two turns to do double damage :shepface: and the game is full of small things like that, where they had pretty good ideas that just fall flat of being actually useful because of restrictions that render them kind of useless.

To be fair, the point of Acceleration Boost isn't to increase your damage, it's to conserve your SP. Sure, you can just use your big huge 35 SP twice to same effect, but if you do that, you just spent 70 SP- in a game where some Digimon will barely break 100 even at max level. Whereas if you use Acceleration Boost, you're only using 35+6=41 SP.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Len posted:

Wasn't first light the stand alone sequel made out of assets that already existed?

It's not a sequel, it takes place before Second Son happens. But I would buy the "made from pre-existing aspects" bit.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

SiKboy posted:

In at least one of the games (I think its Kiwami 2) you need do do something very specific in Mahjong to progress a side story (I think its win with a specific hand, but I dont understand Mahjong at all), but luckily there is a cheat item in the game that, when used, guarantees that exact hand. That Is the only time I've ever played Mahjong in a yakuza game, outside of trying it once and very quickly realising that I cant just pick up the rules by playing a few hands.

Oh I remember that story. It's not that you have to win with a specific hand, it's that you start with such a severe point deficit that if you lose even one hand, you get kicked out, and you have to build up to a certain point threshold from there. It just so happens that the cheat item you mentioned gives you a hand that immediately puts you at the point total you need.

But yeah, overall, I do agree with the sentiment of 'lmao gently caress that poo poo'. Not gonna fault the games for including them, though. I imagine all those side activities are even in there because they're more (re: actually) relevant for a Japanese audience.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

thetoughestbean posted:

This is how I feel about most table top role playing systems, especially ones like D&D 5e which has really low modifiers most of the time so it just feels like complete luck if you succeed or not

God, yes. I actually have my own story about this. A while ago, my friends and I were playing a sort of homebrew DnD where the big draw was that all of our characters were modern humans that had been transplanted into a fantasy world (why yes we are all anime trash why do you ask). My character was a girl who had been training as a gymnast since she was young. Our other characters included, like, a baseball player and a shut-in nerd and stuff.

So we were exploring some temple or something, someone screwed up and triggered a trap which caused lava to start falling from the ceiling. GM has us all roll for Athletics, and I'm the only one who fails, and I get roasted alive. The girl who had been training to be a gymnast, a profession that requires you to be quick and flexible, was the only one who failed an Athletics check, all because of the dice.

Suffice to say, that experience has kind of soured me on dice-based systems in general.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

RareAcumen posted:

Dragon Quest 11's crafting was a pretty simple mini game that never really got obnoxious IMO. You add items into the forge, hammer every piece to try and hit the mark to make it the best possible. And the boosts ramp up to make weapons and armor worth keeping for like two or three dungeons since you picked them up if you can make them +3. And then the Definitive Edition made it so you can just automatically buy materials for it as you're crafting.

I actually was about to post this myself. The Fun-Sized Forge is one of the greatest crafting systems in any game ever, and I have legitimately loaded up my end game save file just to pull out the forge and craft some garbage that I don't even need.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Good GOD I hate the street bosses in Yakuza Kiwami 2.

So, quick rundown: there are three different types of random encounters you can fight in Kiwami 2. There's delinquents, which are piss-easy, thugs, which are a bit harder, and yakuza, which are the hardest but still not really a threat.

Early on in the game, you unlock street bosses. These are bonus mini-bosses that, in order to fight them, you need to first fight 5 groups of delinquents/thugs/yakuza in order for them to show up. There's 3 bosses associated with each enemy type, and a different set of bosses in both cities, for a total of 18 street bosses.

Here's the thing that really makes me go from 'whatever' to 'I hate this': the random encounters... are random. You have no control over what enemies spawn around you. The guide I'm following claims it's location-based, but I've still had thugs popping up in areas it says should spawn yakuza, so either it's lying or there's still a degree of randomness you have no control over. And the bosses don't give a gently caress about the enemy types they're not associated with; you can murder a billion delinquents and the you won't get any closer to challenging the yakuza bosses.

On top of that, there's no in-game list of which street bosses you've taken out. The closest you get is that, each time a boss becomes available, you get an email about it, but these emails don't actually mention the boss' name or what enemy type they were associated with. The only thing they give you is the location of the boss, so you end up having to loving cross reference the emails you have with a list of all the street bosses and their locations to see who you're missing.

And the crap icing on the poo poo cake is that there's a skill unlocked for beating all of the street bosses. That is not to say you get a skill for beating all of them. No, you get the ability to BUY a skill for beating all of them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Captain Hygiene posted:

I got tired of dealing with Prey's late-game "just dump enemies everywhere" design and gave the 2016 Ratchet & Clank a shot since it's on PS+ this month. It's fun enough, but it's getting annoying to have every major cutscene begin and end with the PS notification "RECORDING PAUSED DUE TO BLOCKED CONTENT"/"RECORDING RESUMED" which I've seen in a game maybe once before. Like, lmao at the idea of deciding that the simple cartoonishness of a Ratchet & Clank plot must be protected with secrecy at all costs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They lifted the scenes straight from the movie they made I think.

It's this. The movie is basically one of those "Videogame: The Movie" things you used to see on YouTube where people just spliced all the cutscenes together, except it's actually worse than that because there are scenes in the game that the movie never even alludes to.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

As someone who recently finished Kiwami 2, it really does serve as a sort of zenith of the bullshit plaguing 0 and Kiwami 1. Not only does the game have a million dumb side things to do, it has the audacity to lock skills behind some of them as well.

What's that? You want to do a heat action with your fancy golf club? Something that you could just do in the previous games? gently caress you! Now you get to slave through the stupid golfing minigame until you get enough points to win the secret book of golfing techniques!

Oh, you want to do a heat action with your baseball bat, another thing that you could do without any prior unlocking in the other games? Nope! You get to sit through the stupid batting minigame and earn points to buy the secret batting books! Oh, but because you only get like 100 points max from the regular batting minigame and the books cost thousands, you actually have to unlock the homerun derby to have a chance of getting enough points in anything resembling a timely manner, so that's another complication. (And btw, there are guides for the homerun derby's patterns, but the most popular ones are actually wrong about how the derby works, so good luck with that).

By far the worst one, though, has to be the skill locked behind the bouncer missions. Not only does it require you to do all the missions, it requires you to do them on EVERY difficulty, too. This would be more annoying than difficult, since infinite durability weapons make most of the bouncer missions a joke, except for the fact that the last bouncer mission pits you against THREE of the Amon brothers, AKA the secret super bosses that you only get to fight after completing all the substories. The Amons all have a mechanic where, after you use a heat action on them, that same action stops doing damage to them, and in this game specifically they also all get an energy shield that more than halves the damage they take while it's active. Allegedly you can smack them with the lightsaber weapons to knock it out, but that didn't work for me, so in my experience at least I was forced to run away from them until the shield dropped. Oh, and the rules of bouncer missions prevent you from using healing items during them, for some stupid loving reason.

I barely managed to beat the last bouncer mission on the lowest difficulty- literally, I had a loving PIXEL of health left. And you want me to take on harder versions of it, all just for a skill that is literally already obsolete by the time I can get it? gently caress all the way off with that.

I love the Yakuza games but good loving lord do they make it difficult at times.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Captain Hygiene posted:

The skill tree in the Miles Morales Spideymans game seems like a step back: it's smaller (fine, given the size of the game), but they added level restrictions to everything so it feels like you're always just unlocking the one that's available rather than putting thought into your build.

Oh for sure. It's even worse if you got the Day 1 edition because then you start off with 3 extra skill points, but because of the level restriction it doesn't actually make you any stronger.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not a sidequest, but Witcher 3 still has my favorite example of this. As a reward for finishing a long section of the main story, the king (?) of Skellige gives you an ornate sword passed down through his family for generations which is clearly intended to be an honor of great significance. It had stats significantly worse than the sword I was already using so I sold it to the first vendor I found outside the castle.

Okay, I've never played the Witcher games, but I will actually go to bat for this, because in real life most ancestral swords are ornate pieces of garbage that look pretty but couldn't even cut a piece of bread. That's just what happens when you build something out of gold and rubies or whatever.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Persona 5 Strikers:

The game combines Dynasty Warriors style "slaughter your way through entire armies" gameplay with Persona's battle system- most importantly, it retains the SP stat, limiting how often you can use your magic.

The issue is that you cannot control your AI teammates, and they are more than happy to spam their spells as much as they can. This is an annoyance when exploring the dungeons, as the game doesn't penalize you for leaving to get a fullheal, but it becomes extremely frustrating during bosses, as you can switch to your healer only to find that they have less than 10% of their SP left because they kept hitting the boss with their neutral spells or spamming their buffs/debuffs.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Manager Hoyden posted:

I kind of wish media in general would stop with the trope of a wife leaving completely destroying a guy. Like that's not how it works in real life at all and I feel like you have to imagine it with the genders reversed to see how bonkers it is.

As someone whose girlfriend left him near the start of last year and who is still trying to fully recover, I can confirm that this isn't far from real life.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The Switch doesn't have trophies and that kills my enthusiasm for doing side content in games.

More seriously: in Persona 5 Strikers, about halfway through the game, you unlock a series of side quests asking you to go to past dungeons and beat up a powerful Shadow that has appeared there, with the reward being the ability to fuse that enemy as a new Persona. The problem is these bonus bosses are incredibly tough: a single stray hit can knock out half of your health, or even straight up kill you if it crits or hits your weakness. The bosses only have one or two weaknesses themselves, and usually resist, null, or even drain multiple other elements to compensate, and they're all massive bags of HP: Showtime and All-Out Attacks barely even scratch them, assuming you're even able to build up to them in the first place given that they can take multiple weakpoint hits before losing even one section of their shield gauge.

I managed to beat the first three before I realized I just... wasn't enjoying them. I was barely doing double digit damage to bosses with tens of thousands of HP, not to mention having to burn millions of revival items because the partner AI is loving stupid and will gleefully run face-first into the boss' clearly telegraphed mega attack. And without some sort of trophy or badge to put on my account so I can at least brag to people, there's no reason for me to keep slamming my head against that particular wall.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Lunar Suite posted:

Persona 5 Strikers: Please stop having a 3 textbox 'cutscene' every 50 meters of level, and let me actually play your game. I get it. There are trashmobs to kill. I will kill them.

Especially annoying with the warning they give you every time you even look at a dire Shadow. Yes game, I am aware of what that is. Yes, I am aware of how strong it is. I have been aware of these facts since the first dungeon, you don't have to keep reminding me when we're in the LAST dungeon.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Vandar posted:

There's so much giant empty space and having fog of war on a skill tree is ridiculous and what the hell none of these nodes feel good or satisfying to take.

What the gently caress? Rule number 1 of a skill tree is that you let the player see ALL their options, even the ones they can't actually grab yet. Because nobody loving plays an RPG and goes "oh boi, 12% faster movement speed!" but they do go "oh, I can eventually revive once per combat for free AND do a poo poo ton of damage to all enemies when I do? gently caress yeah!"

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

BiggerBoat posted:

I really wanted to do NG+ in the Arkham Batman games but I totally suck at combat without the counter icons.

Honestly, games that only let you do NG+ by upping the difficulty suck in general. The entire POINT of NG+ is to let the player rampage through the early game with all their endgame equipment and skills. Can't exactly do that when the first goon hits harder than the final boss.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

BiggerBoat posted:

True. They could at least make it optional.

Like, OK, I beat the game to your standards now, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to go in and gently caress some poo poo up proper. But if a player want's to raise the challenge, let them.

Oh yeah, for sure. My point is that NG+ should have the same difficulty options as any normal NG instead of hardlocking you into one.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I pretty much never play on hard unless it's a game I especially love and feel good at, and even then I need some sort of incentive, like doing Insane difficulty in the PS4 Spider-Man game getting me a trophy. By the same token, though, I also never really go easy unless I'm just not understanding how the game operates, like when I tried to play the first Bayonetta.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Yakuza 3

Enemies block CONSTANTLY. Even the dinky little random encounter enemies that go down in a single combo block CONSTANTLY. Even when you hit them from the sides or behind, there's about a 50% chance they'll suddenly turn around and start blocking you.

0 and Kiwami games also had enemies that would block constantly... except said enemies were bosses or otherwise exceptional, not just random trash that runs up to you on the street.

It just makes combat such a slog because instead of trading blows in epic duels to the death, I'm either backing someone into a corner and just repeating the same combo over and over again to get one or two hits in when their guard breaks, or I'm constantly blocking and sidestepping myself so I can, again, get one or two hits in when the enemy finally stops attacking.

And the obvious solution to the problem- just use a weapon so enemies CAN'T block my attacks- doesn't even work half the time because tons of enemies (again, including random street trash) spawn with their OWN weapons.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

God of War PS4

The realm of Muspelheim is, like... entirely superfluous. The gear you can get from there is actually quite nice, or at least it appears to be so, but the amount of effort the game asks of you to be able to get most of it is absolutely insane, and the only way to make the grind for them even moderately reasonable is to be so much stronger that the gear in question is completely outdated. Literally the only reason to stick around there for longer than is absolutely necessary (defined here as however long you need to get the platinum trophy for the game) is to get materials to upgrade the REALLY good armors.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Lobok posted:

I really wish Muspelheim started you off in the first central area. Gets really tiresome really quick having to hoof it from the spawn to that area and back again for each run.

Honestly, everything about the area is tiring. They should have had an update that would make it less horrible.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Neo The World Ends With You

gently caress the wolf enemies. They have an attack where they pounce on one of your party members, and if they land, they pin them to the ground and start mauling them, dealing constant damage. If there are other wolves in the fight, they'll come over and ALSO start mauling the affected party member. And of course, you can't use the trapped party member while they're being mauled to death, and the only way to free them is to hit the wolves with an attack that has knockback- except, the only attacks that have knockback are either combo finishers or ones that need to be charged up, so you're basically guaranteed to take damage if you get trapped.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DrBouvenstein posted:

gently caress Wulvers in God of War.

Doesn't matter what my timing is, I can never NOT get hit by their jump lunge attack. I see the red circle, so I know it's a "dodge" attack, not a "block" or "parry" attack but that doesn't seem to help.

Every time, they still hit me. I dodge early...nope. Dodge early TWICE? Nope. Dodge late? Oh, Hell nope.

Thankfully, they haven't (so far?) gated any regular game progression, just side stuff, but drat they're far tougher than the color fo their health bar lets on.

I've completed a few fights where all/some of the enemies are purple, so very high above me. The current Wulver fight, in on top of the Forgotten Caverns, are just two guys, one is an orange healthbar the other yellow, but they kick my rear end so fast it's absurd.

The trick for these guys is to just immediately unload all your runic attacks and summons on them the moment they show up, and if they're still alive after that, just spam Atreus' arrows and axe throws.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure the number one reason is that games are way too loving long. There are very few games that are still fun ten hours in. And if you get bored and put it aside for a while, if you try to come back to it you'll probably find you've forgotten how to play so you need to start again to relearn how to play.

This was my experience with Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Picked it up in 2019 after renting it and really enjoying it, got sidetracked one day, didn't come back to it until earlier this month and by that point I had forgotten pretty much everything and had to restart.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Len posted:

Yeah that's fair. I spend those times sliding in circles kicking up poison blobs

Ive been playing as Fl4k and gamma burst keeps bugging out in a way where I can't use it until I leave the zone or exit the game. Super great when that happens during boss fights. I guess the flip side is that varkid behind the 500 eridium door counted as beaten when I just zoned out, not sure what happened there

To me, it seems like the game is especially buggy with FL4K. One thing that happened in my playthrough: there's an early-game side quest where you help a lady get revenge by killing the guy who murdered her family. The problem is that their are two guys both claiming to have killed her family, and she can't figure out who actually did it because they're both awful. Eventually, she tells you to just pick one to kill and be done with it.

What's supposed to happen is you arrive at the area where the two scumbags are, they both aggro on you, but once you kill one of them the other loses their aggro. As you're leaving the area, the questgiver realizes she still isn't sure if you made the right choice and give you a bonus objective to go back and kill the other guy too.

What happened for me, though is that I was using Fade Away and a Jakobs shotgun. Fade Away guarantees that your next three shots are critical hits regardless of where they land on an enemy, while Jakobs guns have the bonus of bouncing a bullet to another enemy when you score a critical hit. Together, I ended up killing both guys at once, which the game very much so did not like, and it forced me to exit the game entirely to fix it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Captain DIEgiene posted:

It's very annoying in Yakuza 0 that you run into story missions where you need to buy specific items from convenience stores, but store inventories vary so you have no clue about which ones you need to shop at. At least one of them is only available at a single shop, across the map from the point you need it.
What the gently caress, game :psypop:

This is a problem all of the Yakuza games have, or at least, all of the ones I've played.

It's actually funny, I'm playing through Yakuza 4 right now, with a guide to make sure I don't miss any substories for anyone, and one of said substories requires you to go buy a battery. My guide said that you could find a battery at pretty much every convenience store.

So of course the first store I try, the one closest to me, is the only store on the map that doesn't sell batteries. :v:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the story in Yakuza 3 but man, I'm not digging the combat. It's slower and I just feel so much weaker. Anything more than random street thugs just feels like a slog, there's plenty of weapons but they take like 2 pixels off the health bars for heavy attacks, and even my regular heat moves often take about 5% off the health bar. I can handle the simplicity and clunkiness from it being an older game, but I've just had multiple fights now where I pause in the middle to do something else because I'm just *bored*.

This is definitely one of the biggest issues with 3. On top of your attacks doing gently caress all for damage, enemies also love to block constantly, even random street thugs.

It isn't much consolation, but they RADICALLY improved on this for 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Crowetron posted:

Tanimura sucks

:emptyquote: