Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Evil Canadian posted:

Why is there a wave of doubt going on about Watch Dogs? I know some people are saucy about the graphics thing(Which I understand, but don't necessarily care about myself), but everything I have seen about the game just makes it look like an all around solid open-world experience.
It's because people actually played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sedisp posted:

So far a lot of people who have played it seem to enjoy it. It's pretty much just goons who watched the trailers that say its bad.
Goons in this thread will praise it because they don't want to feel bad about their purchase and this is a hugbox. Opinions take a nose-dive once you read them in other threads/not here. Nobody says it's a bad game mind you, just that it's mostly uninspired and people stop caring after 3-4 hours and go back to more engaging titles.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Azurrat posted:

Video game hipsters, dude. It's an opinion formed from "people like this and are looking forward to it, THIS IS AN OUTRAGE"
Sometimes opinions are just opinions, I heard those from people who were really looking forward to this title and got disappointed when they actually tried the game. Your far-fetching assumptions read very defensive though.

I still hope I'll have some fun with it but in the light of what people are describing I'm getting rid of any positive expectations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wasn't Mafia 1's driving like that on purpose because cars from the era handled like cardboard boxes?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Follow That Fish! posted:

If it's a bit realistic and even done reasonably well, I'll be quite happy.
From whichever angle you cut the opinions, this doesn't seem to be the case and also you should read futher posts from the person who "claims they went a bit too sim" where it's calrified. It seems you just hear what you want to hear so you'll have to see for yourself anyway.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Azurrat posted:

Can't comment on the rest of your post, really, but the hacking is quite fun in combat.
Why can't you comment on the rest? I'd actually like to hear about those too like what do you actually do during the missions, side-missions, is there a lot of variety in those or mainly fetch-quests? Does the city have varied ares or just suburbs/downtown?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

w00tuberjedi posted:

To clarify, there are some side missions/activities that require you to make your way to the tops of buildings. Instead of being able to scale the buildings using footholds ect you have to find one of a few predetermined pathways up. It seems that free-running is limited to being able to quickly scale cover and fences.
That's too bad, I feel like they missed the boat here as I always thought an Assassin's Creed game with an actual modern city to parkour around would be cool and they already have the engine/animations for it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Dandywalken posted:

http://imgur.com/a/EmfB5

In the year of our lord, 2014. This happens.
I see that life mimics art.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would assume that is a balancing technique and handguns and SMGs kick less, is that not the case?
I don't think he meant "Steve Urkel firing an AK-47" to literally apply to an AK-47 but as a comparison to how gunplay works as a whole.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

So the music is mediocre? I'm taking it's not as good as Sleeping Dogs at least.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh drat, I thought full radiostations were already a standard practice in the genre, I didn't realise it's just a single mixed playlist, what the hell.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Trenchcoat is a staple of cyberpunk in every medium so it's not only because of those games. Imagine Blade Runner without a trenchcoat, they just really wanted to have it in the setting (not that they had to but it was an easy choice).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That white trench coat really does send this vibe.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Meowbot posted:

For those who are playing is the game actually really amazing and gently caress IGN?
Half of the people say it's mediocre and uninspired, half say they're having some fun but nobody really said it's amazing. I'm guessing you can like it if it clicks with you but it's in no shape or form amazing or close to being as good as the first trailers made it look. At least that's what I'm reading from the comments, I'm waiting for more opinions when it officially releases on PC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

hopterque posted:

I know how much you value my opinion palpek since i have excellent taste in both videogames and men and I will say concretely that this game is rad and cool even without the multiplayer yet which is gonna be the raddest and coolest part.
Ok, I believe you. I consider the consensus now to be that the game is real good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

IGN is already preparing the ground for it: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/25/whats-your-favorite-watch-dog

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xaris posted:

(also play Sleeping Dogs if you haven't)
Yeah, people who haven't played Sleeping Dogs should definitely correct that. To me it was the best game in the genre ever made and honestly at least judging from the gameplay videos - it actually had a more futuristic looking world than Watch Dogs :v:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Orv posted:

Neon doesn't mean future Palpek. :colbert:
Actually it totally does :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I say that as someone who thinks everything I've seen of it looks great and everything seems to be what I was expecting of the game since it was announced.
I don't really understand why you're getting so angry when you haven't played the game yet? I know people who have very reasonable opinions on games and don't usually buy into hype who found the game simply boring. At the same time there are people who have fun with it. I'll have to see which is true for myself when I get the game eventually but your defensive reaction seems really fanboish. Also who cares what people think about a game if you already know you're getting it and will most likely end up enjoying it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Joe Gillian posted:

For example, I had a guy who liked to sniff model glue, and when I detonated his grenade, sure enough he found out what it does.
I don't really understand what you're saying here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

Again, cars are kind of an afterthought for this game. That's kinda the point.
Everybody says the game plays like GTA and cars are a big part of it so I don't really understand what you mean. It doesn't matter what the game is supposed to be but what it actually focuses on when you play it. If you drive cars all the time and you spend a lot of time getting from place to place then they shouldn't be an afterthought.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordaedil posted:

Or should this game just have been an iteration upon GTAIV, because no setbacks are allowed, even when it is made by a completely different studio?
I don't know why you're insisting that people play the game wrong or something. People compare it to GTA because it plays like GTA with hacking and not like a hacking game with driving. Here's an example summary from another thread:

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, that's essentially what the game's problem is. It's got all the weaknesses of a typical Ubisoft open world game (writing, a zillion half-assed side activities you've seen before giving the illusion of meaningful content) and nothing like Far Cry 3's gunplay or Assassin's Creed's vertical movement. No goofy physics to gently caress with, or much of anything that makes GTA/Sleeping Dogs/Saints Row interesting.

It's very grounded, and not in a good way. The hacking mechanic boils down to simple toggles for a fairly limited number of interactive objects with very prescribed results that don't allow for experimentation. You're held back as the game dangles stuff that isn't even particularly appealing just out of your reach, and are expected to be amazed.
The game might be fun sure but your insistence that it's not comparable with GTA because its focus is different is delusional. Hacking is a gimmick here, not a game defining feature.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Capn Beeb posted:

drat, game. :smith:
Honestly it only misses his loving dog lying there with him with a paw on his heart to be more obnoxious, Christmas really? When will games have better writing that doesn't have to pull things like this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think in the last post ScienceAndMusic wrote some solid points explaining his problems with the game and people dismissing those with "nah ah" only make the game look bad in my eyes. Write why you don't agree and not some bullshit about Battlefield 4 nobody cares about.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Bigsteve posted:

Reviews are in: Eurogamer 7/10, Giantbomb 3/5

Not good.
No matter if the game is good or bad, review numbers mean nothing. My favorite games all hang between 70 and 80 metascore. Reading the actual pros/cons from reviewers your taste aligns with makes a lot more sense.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Are physics in this game really so bad that you can't dick around like you would in other open world games because you just drop through the map?

http://a.pomf.se/epwhqo.webm

http://a.pomf.se/cawqpj.webm

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Giant Bomb posted a Quick Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-watch-dogs/2300-8923/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tracula posted:

I'm surprised I've not seen it mentioned that one of the profiles for someone is "Curious about yiffing" and there's even a distraction option for it as well. :v:

What was the distraction?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I hope the game doesn't have the bug that wipes your saves for no reason like both AC4 nad Blacklist had :cool:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Antti posted:

It's not a problem with the games per se, I assume you mean the cloud saving glitch?

Basically cloud saving is hosed and never use it with Ubi games.
Nope, cloud saving has been disabled by Ubisoft months ago and the bug still hits even when you additionally have cloud saving manually disabled. It happened to me erasing something like 10 hours of AC4 gameplay. There's like a 300 page thread on the issue still going strong on the Uplay forums because Ubisoft never patched it and Blacklist has the same issue. Still I haven't seen anybody report anything like this in Watch_Dogs so it may not be a problem (I'd backup save files from time to time anyway).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ethanol posted:

I'm still not forgiving ubisoft for ruining every tom clancy since chaos theory
Haven't you played Blacklist? It's really good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ethanol posted:

blacklist is good... it's ok. it's just not tom clancy anymore in any way

chaos theory was much much better
Yeah but Blacklist is pretty much the best Splinter Cell after Chaos Theory in the series, the gameplay and AI are really solid in that game, I had a lot fun with it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nobody has a problem with Uplay until Uplay has a problem and then it's always some big steaming one you can't avoid or fix in any way.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There it is:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DopeGhoti posted:

E:

^^^

..then the phone should just die.
Yeah, taking the phone out during rain should be instant game over + deleted save game for maximum immersion. Get your poo poo together Ubisoft.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw that in many driving sandboxes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

http://mumbrella.com.au/australia-square-evcauated-bomb-squad-called-pr-agency-sends-suspicious-package-ninemsn-229352

quote:

A PR stunt for a new video game saw the bomb squad called to Ninemsn’s offices yesterday afternoon after a black safe was delivered to the Australia Square offices of the publisher along with a “suspicious” letter which told a reporter to “check your voicemail”.

However, the reporter did not have a voicemail, and when staff tried to enter a pin code taped to the top of the safe, which was dropped off by a courier but not signed for, it started to beep but did not open, leading to fears it could be an explosive device.

Mi9 staff on the sixth floor of the George Street offices were sent home, and bomb squad officers called in to open the box in the basement of the building. Inside was a copy of new Ubisoft video game Watch Dogs alongside a baseball cap and beanie, and a note saying it was embargoed until 5pm.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

KirbyKhan posted:

It is super easy to dismiss this as dumb and lazy "lol internet", butit makes perfect sense in context of the main character. Aiden is 39 years old in a near future scenario and autistic batman. It is the only thing he could write, he is the autistic internet person of today with magic internet powers. It works in the narrative sense and he acts as the ultimate power fantasy of goony goons and redditers.
To me it would only work if he was literally mentally disabled. Like not just "haha, socially inept dude" but actual brain deficiency.

• Locked thread