Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Vondizimo posted:

30k is doomed if GW prime have taken an interest. That'll teach FW for being a success. I want to be wrong.

Yeeeeah I hate to say it but I think I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

It's very possible that GW is merely testing the waters with MkIV Tactical Squad and Master of the Chapter kits, with no intention of putting out new rules or supplanting FW in the near future. But those sprues look real to me. Seriously put, the best thing for GW to do would be release 30k plastics and sell FW in stores without actually touching the 30k books at all. Which means it probably won't happen.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

DrPop posted:

Which books should I start with to learn about Horus Heresy's rules? Between the seven different books I can find on Forge World's site (reasonably priced at a billion brit bucks each), I'm kinda confused where to jump off at.

Is it just 40K, but with different army codices in the various HH books?

Get the two red books--50 GBP for the pair. Unless you want to do Mechanicum or Knight House or Imperial Army/Militia/Solar Auxilia, in which case it gets a little more complicated.

Most of the rules are just 40k, although it differs from 7E in a few subtle but significant ways.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Cataphract posted:

I was just about to post those exact words

They were shown off earlier this year (HH Weekender maybe?) and they showed Blood Angels and Dark Angels pretty recently. Their plan is to have the basic upgrade kits for all Legions except Vlka Fenryka and 1k Sons out ASAP, and BA/DA will bring them there. White Scars, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels Legion traits will be in the back of the next book but without characters or special units IIRC.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Vondizimo posted:

Yeah, the current set can make five sniper scouts with no modification. The only issue is one body is missing a camo cloak, but the cloaks from Anvil Industry fit perfectly. Maybe old stock? I can't even remember if my sniper kit came with a missile launcher.

The fifth guy's cloak is rolled up and on his back.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Scoutchat! Posted these a while ago but here they are again:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Unfortunately, due to the existence of challenges this is basically the situation again.

Power Fists specifically seem kind of rad in 30k though, since they're only 15 points, AP2/3 is kind of hard to come by, and Sergeants can take Artificer Armor. My tactical/breacher squad sergeant gets one, at the very least.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

BuffaloChicken posted:

These will never stop making me happy. Let's get that game in where they ally with my Catachan to hunt Tyranids in the jungle (I'm free this weekend, for once, and might be having other ham friends over... interested?).

Very interested but I'm working. :( A lot. Forever. Mid-to-late September, maybe?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Email them about the missing bundles. Some of them are really weird, like the Raven Guard upgrade bundle is still present but not on the bundles page, but Sons of Horus is just gone. I wouldn't be shocked if the other Legion upgrade bundles, if nothing else, came back with the 30k plastics. Nevertheless, this is disappointing.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I emailed them about Legion upgrade bundles and got a response almost immediately. They appreciate the feedback and they're going to check with the sales team "to see if it was a mistake," and if it was, it'll be "fixed" within the next couple of days.

Now is absolutely the right time to make noise, since it's the easiest time for them to reverse their position without losing face. Everybody who cares should politely email them about whatever bundles they genuinely intended to buy.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Sadly it also suffers from the usual FW problem of 'not understanding how CCWs work on walkers'.

RAW if you take off one of it's claws it loses 2 attacks - one from the gun upgrade (which states it loses 1 attack) and another from no longer having an additional CCW.

The Mega & Meka Dredds have the same issue. They need to stop including bonus attacks from multiple CCWs in the profile and get rid of the stupid 'lose 1 attack by replacing a weapon with a gun' they keep writing.

It says "note that." It's plainly, RAW and RAI, a reminder, not an additional penalty. Any other reading necessarily ignores those two words. (For this model, anyway; I don't remember the wording on the Ork ones.)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

Sorry, but no. See the line 'Note: for each siege claw replaced, the model loses one attack'. The each is important.

If you replace both siege claws with guns, you'd lose 2 attacks (plus another attack for no longer having 2 CCWS as the 'bonus is included in the profile') and be on 1 attack.

Even if FW are (incorrectly) treating the bonus attack from having 2 CCWs in that, removing the second claw still drops you by another attack (due to the each in the notes, giving you a total of 2 attacks (still wrong, it should be 3 if the 'lose an attack' is a reference to 'no longer having a second CCW).

If FW meant you lose the bonus attack by swapping out one claw, it would be worded something like 'reduce attacks by one if a single claw is exchanged'. But they don't say this.

FW are deliberately adding un-needed caveats to a simple system they don't understand. All they needed to do was give it 3 attacks base, it would get the 4th from having 2 CCWs (which already puts it below the default 4 attacks for regular dreadnoughts as per the latest SM dex). There are plenty of units in the game which have multiple CCWs and don't include the bonus in the stats, it's only FW that do this.

The wording for Mega/Meka Dredds is pretty much the same, they start with 2 CCWs and FW states that the bonus attack is included in the profile (meaning they have fewer attacks than regular Deff Dreads), if you replace a CCW with a gun you lose an attack (plus an extra attack for no longer having multiple CCWs).

I would also note that FW also don't know how pinning works (see the experimental rules for the Navigator) and keep using different rules for KFFs wherever they appear, different stats for the same guns in different books, etc.

Re: "each"-- You're right! I missed that. I still think that RAW, dropping the first arm only drops a total of one attack. I think the phrase "note that" implies a reminder where "note:" would be more appropriately read to mean a new rule. Either way, they're plainly, RAW, adding a penalty to dropping the second weapon that I had missed before.

Certainly, FW is bad about articulating clear rules. Although that looks like a picture of a print-out--maybe they can tweak the wording before it gets printed.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 17, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

KuangMkV posted:

I picked up Betrayal at Calth with the intention of using the minis as the start of an Alpha Legion army but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to assemble them as such. Does anyone have some thoughts on how to arm/points cost everything?

Hi Kuang! There's a 30k thread at: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750247&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

But for now, an absolute minimum of 18 of your 30 tactical marines can be kitted out with just boltguns.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

So, two things:

1. gently caress the Fire Raptor model. This thing is goddamn garbage and a pain in the rear end to assemble.

2. I'd be pretty satisfied if they just put out a campaign supplement with Chaos this year that had a new formation detachment for the existing list. I could live with that. Hey, I know! Maybe they could make this one CSMs/Daemons vs. Grey Knights and SoB and service 4 armies that desperately need it at once. Hahahahaha just kidding that will never happen

e: Meant to say Fire Raptor

Did you get your Fire Raptor from the communists? Mine went together pretty nicely and FW was happy to replace the components that snapped/chipped during shipping.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

For those that are still interested - we are starting The Independent Characters up again in March. I'm organizing the recording schedule right now with guests and topics. I'm committed now to doing at least one year.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3716

Jesus Christ I miss you guys so much. I haven't listened to the final episode because I didn't want it to be over (listened to the Not An Episode though!). You coming back is going to be so good for my hobby / bad for my wallet. I'm putting in a 1-Carl (free-shipping-tier) FW order today in celebration.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Endman posted:

I painted this guardsman and he came out super grumpy. Dude just isn't having a good time in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium.

Super good looking, love it. Now do another 79 just like it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

It's the natural evolution of formations.

How do we further upsell models? Why, let's encourage absolute spam by giving them free stuff!
I hope this never leaks into non-40k :(

It's been pretty typical in WMH for years. I was going to say that should prove that it's just GW loving up a theoretically decent concept, although free points in theme forces are one of the most unbalanced things in WMH, too, so maybe it's just a terrible idea generally.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I'd totally lost interest in 40K due to the insane release schedule. Stealer Cults are the only thing that could bring me back. I hope they aren't just in that boxed set though, they need a proper Harlequin release with a small dex. They also need a Patriarch, I don't get why they have been retconned out of existence.

Aren't Patriarchs just Broodlords that haven't gotten skinny yet? (Like, aren't they literally the exact same thing?)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Phyresis posted:

It is and it isn't because one could say that this is typical GW, years behind the curve - trying out open beta rules releases just when privateer press realized that it is a bad idea and isn't doing them for mk 3

I think the comparable PP thing would be infernal rulings in their own FAQ forum. I'm happy to criticize GW when they really gently caress the dog on something but I don't think this is that something.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

sassassin posted:

You can play a 2000 point game of KoW with 6 guys and some unit filler as long as the base sizes are right.

I thought KoW2 required footprints to contain half the "full" number of models plus one? I remember being annoyed when considering boring 30mm holes for my WMH models into big squares, then learning it would violate the letter of KoW2's rules. I'm sure people would let us use fewer, but then we're back to the lazy reliance on social engineering poo poo that makes GW games bad.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I wonder if that truck's AV will be low enough to be legal in Kill Team. If so, I might have to make a Team for these fuckers. I've loved cults ever since that Simon Spurrier short story about primacii and changeling-type relationships with beguiled host families and poo poo.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

xtothez posted:

If not it looks like cults can use Chimeras and possibly Sentinels, which can work for killteam.

Nah, I want that truck! If its AV is too high I'll probably make a Skitarii team instead.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

I have never understood the idea that anything Warhammer should be PG, when you have literal embodiments of raw, base emotion - you know, the poo poo people don't like admitting to feeling (especially in a culture that promotes guilt of any errant emotion) - butchering, rotting, corrupting and crab loving fascist, dogmatic, racist xenophobes on a daily basis in a dying galaxy, full of mad, talking mushrooms and antediluvian horrors from beyond the void. If some one made a morning cartoon out of that, it'd have to be Captain Planet levels of cringe for it to be even remotely PG.

Kids in the US are told about war, death, and pain (and racism, and diseases, etc) before they're told about sex. That's basically it. I'm not saying it's right, but it'd take a gigantic amount of time and effort to change that and I for one neither want nor expect GE to lead that particular charge.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's a game targeted for 11-15 year olds.

Yeah I think I was 11-12 when I bought my Eldar (and 9-10 when I was first introduced to WHFB and got the Bretonnian half of that amazing 5th Edition starter set). My nephew just turned 9, and at some point this year I'd like to show him the hobby without having to explain orgy-powered fentanyl chariots to his mother.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hamshot posted:

If that's true that's stupid. Like, Land speeder and Land raider being named after some tech priest named Land levels of stupid. So probably true.

Was the Lascannon named after his brother, "Mickey Las", who shared in his family misfortune and was the first shot to death by one?

edit: Then there's the laspistol, named after Ben Las, and the Laser Rapier Destroyer, named after Desmond "The Rapier" Las...

The Arkham Land thing makes perfect sense in the context of the 40k universe, because it's the only possible way to be named so reasonably. If it weren't named after a guy named Land it'd be called the Wrathmonger or Ironstorm or Hellfucker or whatever.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

it's best not to put in more thought than GW did

Given the time and place that 40k's earliest fluff was laid down, and the disproportionate number of young men who helped develop it, I think it's exceptionally likely that the Dark Angels were from the beginning a metaphor for being queer and closeted, even if not everyone in the studio made the connection.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Flyers were fine, but don't work well with the scale of 40k; Allies as implemented are pretty bad--they're wildly uneven and make faction distinctions less meaningful, which is bad. 6th introduced a bunch of new random nonsense like rolling for warlord traits and random psychic powers, and removed cover abstraction. The 7th edition changes to vehicle damage helped a great deal, but 7th introduced a ton of other issues like summoning and re-adding the psychic phase to the game.

I think gunship-style flyers are fine, even with zooming rules. Valkyrie, Stormraven, that new Deathwatch thing are all fine. I agree about jets, but I wouldn't mind there being a Stronghold Assault (or whatever it's called now) equivalent to bolt on jets in big games. Death From The Skies, sort of.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

^^^^^^^
I've been playing since 3rd, and 3rd is my least favorite of the editions I've played. I genuinely like the guts of 7E. 90% of the core rulebook, at least up through page 179, are fine with me, and I think most of the changes from 3rd are improvements.

Like many people I want (1) a significant to full rules rewrite for 40k, (2) FW to continue modifying the 6E rules in their own direction rather than being anchored to 40k, and (3) 40k fluff to still move forward but slow the gently caress down. I'm okay with the Imperium being dragged inevitably closer to extinction, but what I don't want to see is six IRL months of total galactic destruction followed by 8E opening with the Emperor waking up and starting another Great Crusade led by Custodes.

Truescale Space Marine models that made the Custodes sculpts more reasonable by comparison--that might actually be cool, but I don't really want to think about the impact it'd have on us as hobbyists.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 8, 2017

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Hamshot posted:

The only experience I can draw on is as an assault army with no options to assault out of deep strike and right now it's inevitable that I'll need to weather at least two, usually three turns of shooting. It's bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Being assaulted by something that I never had the opportunity to see, much less do something about, is a terrible experience and I am really happy that assaulting from reserves is gone. Assault got nerfed too hard over the past few years, but a lot of the changes have made the core game less frustrating.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

While I understand this, that feeling is exactly what sneaky or surprise armies are supposed to elicit, and if they pay a fair (high) price to do it, it ought to work that way. Many armies have subfactions or whole military doctrines dedicated entirely to this but simply cannot manifest it accurately on the tabletop because apparently dropping in and waiting politely to be shot to poo poo, then getting shot to poo poo again from Overwatch, then perhaps attacking last for having charged into cover, isn't as frustrating, I guess? Deployment becomes the first step in protecting yourself from pincer attacks and forces players to choose either aggression or defense. Getting shot 4 times before your monster or your group of choppy dudes get to do anything related to their job description is pretty loving lame. To date in 6/7th Ed., I've never really felt intimidated from even the most successful deepstrikes or outflanking maneuvers, because I know I have an entire free turn to reposition, run, or just blast the poor sods to piles of blood and viscera.

Consolidating into another assault steps poo poo up into pretty silly territory, I can imagine--so don't pack your gunlines in neat little rows for me to chop to bits. With the WS table as it is, most units even focused on shooting still get their swings in by hitting on 4s. The tremendous advantages afforded to "walk backward and spam the trigger" armies go out the loving window the moment my Dimachaeron can burst forth from the Tyrannocite and begin munching skulls. I tend to play theme lists with Orks, Necrons, and GSC, and have run tremendously shooty lists and assault lists both. Man, I could not loving believe how much more easily I dominated things when I just drowned them in lead/plasma/fire. I dunno, I always bubble-wrapped my Kustom Mega Kannons with an extra pile of grots just in case, and spent most of my tabletop time in this hobby politely waiting to be shot to pieces and punched first, so defensive deployment doesn't really irk me at all.

I play an assault army (in 30k). I wouldn't mind Lictors or Genestealers or Vanguard Veterans being able to assault from reserves if they paid through the nose for that ability and there were a meaningful restriction on volume. I absolutely do not want charging from reserves to ever be the default again. It's bad enough in Warmachine, where outflanking units are (were?) rare, heavily overpriced, and pillow-fisted, and where strong board control elements make keeping things safe an actual possibility. When that ability to protect models disappears, WMH also happens to become an unnecessarily frustrating experience.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

I also like regular Kill Team.

TKIY posted:

Speaking of kill team what's a decent and not ridiculous kill team to make out of the Space Wolves start collecting box?

Here's what I'm working on:

7x Grey Hunters -145
-Wolf Guard Pack Leader
-6x extra close combat weapons
-power axe
-flamer
-melta bombs
Lone Wolf -55
-Wolf Claw, Storm Shield (counts-as)

I'm not actually sure there's a flamer in the Start Collecting box, but you get the idea.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

Agreed. I guess it's just an aesthetic choice but I saw this model and it blew my mind. To say it's a "poo poo model" I feel is really just tainted with hate for GW. I cannot wait to see what people do with this.

Note that there are some legitimate, well thought out criticism of the model as well. But personally I love it!

Just FYI, I think you'd have more fun in the 30k thread. The podcasts make it sound like you're working on your Black Legion stuff mostly but I still think you'd get a lot more joy reading that and not just this.

Ignore the last couple pages though.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 10, 2017

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Endman posted:

My biggest gripe with Magnus is his size. He should have been roughly twice as high as a Rubric marine imho.

That's how big the Primarch models are already, and even pre-ascension, Magnus was supposed to be unusually big.

I don't usually enjoy painting big models and I wish there were fewer of them (or at least that GW would spend less bandwidth on them), but I'm okay with things like Magnus and Imperial Knights and Valkyries and Stompas being the sizes they are. I do really dislike when the big models are so sprawling and fragile that making one essentially requires its own shelf/case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Endman posted:

Ahh, yeah. I forgot he was supposed to be bigger than the other Primarchs. Still, there's big and then there's that big.

He might be bigger than I realize. Even though I've seen those display-case photos with other models for scale, I have a hard time visualizing stuff with big protruding poo poo like those horns and wings.

• Locked thread