Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Esser-Z posted:

Modifiers are definitely the better way to make terrain have effects, and believe me, I WANT terrain to have effects. It's part of how the game becomes interesting, especially since you can set it up differently between games!

The funniest thing about the effects of the most recent edition of Fantasy at my store was watching the players dutifully roll out all the cool Bleeding Forests and Secret Caves and stuff, get corresponding pieces from the racks, and then methodically arrange it along the short edges so that it would never impact gameplay.

The fantasy players at my store are total grogbeasts to a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Thundercloud posted:

So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

Hey you figured out why they're doing it this way. It's like they have a vast mountain of dusty Mandrakes and Succubi in the building quietly murmuring "hey guys, let's have them buy them before they can math out how they don't want them."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Post 9-11 User posted:

Golden Demon existed primarily as a marketing tool and a way to fire sale extra stock. It was kind of gross how the crowd barkers would call out at the end of the event, "50% off!" An hour later, as people were packing up: "60% off, come and get it, get 'em while they're hot!" An hour later as people were leaving: "80% off, everything must go!" Supposedly, people who purchased full price could get coupons or refunds, but it was rare that anyone claimed it. It was a nauseating feeding frenzy. When the heap of Warhammer stuff they had for sale finally disappeared, the staff high fived and hugged (this was Chicago GD the two years I went).

I got a box of three Falcons (what was that even called) and a brown box containing a big-rear end Skaven army for 40 bucks each at one of those crazy sales. Those were good times.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Raphus C posted:

I love the custom buggies. They make me inspired to build more. Seeing what else I can strap wheels and rokkits to is always a fun past time.

I made a few of those a few years back for a friend's Ork army. Used whatever was in the bitz box in the house, plus a few of the original ancient buggy kit.

Little dirty looking, but I always liked 'em.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

True but I can't wait til the first pictures of one painted all white with black Snoopy flap ears attached hit the internet. All with a big pink tongue out front.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Not a viking posted:

Wolfcutter chariot, ho!

Well, I'm back now. I have been looking for something appropriately Saturday Morning Cartoony to build as an opposing faction to my Dark Eldar forever, and here comes what is clearly a Some-Assembly-Required He-Man toy in a faction that already has flying Snoopy heads.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Wizard van Space Wolves? :getin:

Watch for the wolves to be in like mint green and electric purple colors because cartoon animals are never brown.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Orks are looking pretty drat good right about now. They at least dont have a dumbshit floating viking airship....

The only problem with that chariot is that it isn't way bigger. If Space Wolves straight up had a floating Viking Longship that worked like a Land Raider I'd be pre-ordering three.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Looks like it just dropped a sick burn on the Thanatar and is moonwalking away.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Cataphract posted:

well... looks like GK are coming pretty drat soon.

God it looks too lovely to be real. "Hey kids, we're putting focus on a new Grey Knights codex! But we don't have any new models, so here's the worst/most expensive one! Get excited for that thing you didn't want last time!"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh the halcyon days when Marines were 5'7 and armed primarily with barbeque lighters.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sykic posted:

I made a "Jetseer"!

...sort of. I just really hate Eldar jetbikes. I'm not entirely happy with the result, should have made the guns shorter and in general it just feels incomplete somehow

Looks good, honestly. If you want to make it feel more complete, it needs some aerials or antenna or whatever, too flat along the back. If you can find the old Apocalypse Command Vehicle sprue, you can add the spoiler and targeting things it has on it and give that a little more vertical dimension.

Here's the bits in particular: http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_403&products_id=4252&osCsid=hug88eu06c5jji0v17g29pn070

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Gorgeous, let's hope they're fixing the rules to go with it, because right now it's just a shittier fatter version of the fighter.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Boon posted:

So my best friend and his wife just had their first child, a girl. I want to send him something useful and thoughtful. Since he is a Warhammer/40k player and his wife is down with his nerdery I thought I could send them some diapers and then a nicely painted model/something for the daughter with a hand-written letter.

The problem is, I have no idea what to go with as a model. Any suggestions?

EDIT: To clarify, the model I guess isn't really for the girl since, yknow, it's probably dangerous to her. But just something celebratory or tangentially related.

Well they've spawned a little monster so they probably are best represented by a Tervigon. Include a note that says "Hope you didn't roll doubles!"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The succubus looks basically the same as the current one. She'll be popular because she has the only AP2 weapon in the DE codex.

Really? They took it away from the Incubi?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Just seeing "doesn't work on ATSKNF" a few times grumps me up, more than any other change.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Exinos posted:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure some of your dark Eldar changes that you don't like will be fixed with the day 1 supplemental codex or data slates. Just buy the limited edition bundle and everything will be alright.

Dark Eldar Dataslate: The Shattered Grenades - These grenade-having grenadiers are famed throughought Comorragh for having grenades stacked upon grenades. $75.00

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I like the look of this model in this shot. It's built less like a carnifex and more like a weird, hunchbacked centaur with a brain-hump. I'm also glad the dead terminator is an optional bit and not something it has to drag around with it. Hopefully it gets better rules in the next codex. :gbsmith:

Give it a big tail and it could be Atma Weapon.

quote:

How do Eldar Corsairs protect themselves from Slaanesh? Craft World use Spirit Stones, Exodite use ????, Eldar Corsairs use ??? , Dark Eldar use BDSM.

Dunno about Corsairs, Exodites use what they call World Spirits, which are basically menhirs and other types of ancient rune-covered stone things. Works just like the infinity circuit though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Moola posted:

if any of you idiots buy that kit Im going to be very disappointed

It's a low-res image. The back left hoof is pretty clearly on the ground and just bright red, and the front left claw is on the ground too. You can't see the back right hoof, but I'm guessing it's on the ground.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

Hive Tyrants. They sold me on the game and they remain the iconic Tyranid unit that encapsulates what I loved about the army all the way back in 4e (flexibility, raw power, psychic doom).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Alright. I'm in. :shepspends:

It looks like they've done a good job of preserving the look of the metal/finecast versions though I'm assuming the neurothrope has a unique head along with the weird spine-thing.

I think the Neurothrope is a whole different model. The tail curls up different and the chest ridges are very different.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

AbusePuppy is right that DE could really use something to hose AV12 with. Some sort of multishot S6 weapon would be a huge boon to the army--maybe tweaked disintegrators would do the trick.

But I generally disagree with the rest of his assessment. I think the book is very well balanced with clear strengths and weaknesses that lead to a distinct play-style that is fluffy and thematic.

This is definitely true of the three or so units in the book that anyone takes. Otherwise it has a very common GW problem, in that more than half the book is worthless cruft by accident or design.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Omar al-Bishie posted:

lots of people ITT really dislike GW. besides the increases in pricing over the years, what do people not like about GW? I can't stand their codex system, myself. wish they released things concurrently for better balancing.

Seemingly random FAQ decisions, literally no community interaction, have to be dragged kicking and screaming into adapting any kind of digital technology, ridiculous adherence to secrecy, slow erosion of hobby support in exchange for more commercial space, consistent progress from skirmish game with varied pieces to massive war game with multiple reiterations of the same new expensive piece. Is that most of the rest of it?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

DOOOOOO I hates that rrrrabbit!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Maybe once you slap some orky poo poo on there but as it is, that thing looks like hot loving garbage.

What, the obvious Shokk Attack Gun already strapped to one side isn't Orky enough?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Phyresis posted:

I have misplaced all 40 of my Warp Spiders, I sure hope that I can find them somewhere

They rolled doubles.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Moola posted:

green gold and red is a neat scheme

Eldar would be easy if their colors were like my dreams.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Looking at the new robots, I think I realised why they suck: They look like big space marines with short arms and no shoulder pads. They look kinda like big exo-suit things that have pilots inside them. They don't look like robots.

looks much better. I really wish I'd picked up a bunch of these in the past 'cause now the only way to get them seems to be through absurd price gouging on eBay.

It looks like the solution to a lot of these is going to be painting right over the canopy or sticking bitz all over it before priming so it doesn't look like a canopy at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

HardCoil posted:

Thats's the old RT one :) The new one dones't have the canopy, and look stupid :(

Square 40mm bases at that :corsair:

That makes sense. Certainly seemed more than a little blocky and rough for what they do these days, but what do I know, I don't even play Space Marines because they look like dorky little rectangle men. Elves and bugs for life.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

SRM posted:

I think the paintwork on them is pretty good. Painting them just one base color is pretty boring though, it definitely could look good with some variation in the color (more caution stripes basically)

Huh, his faceplate looks like the chest piece on a Battle Damage He-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

SRM posted:

That was the entire design ethos behind Orks in 3rd-5th edition. They didn't even get plastic Deff Dreads or Battlewagons til way later, and the old plastic Battlewagon had been discontinued for over a decade at that point.

Oh man I hated the legacy players that generated, playing with three battlewagons all wider than they were long because they built them before the new kit and "I don't want to abandon my kitwork, it's not my fault I have three solid feet of AV 14 on the table."

• Locked thread