Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Wasn't there a Star Wars miniatures game at some point? I'm 100% sure they did make roughly 27mm scale Star Wars stuff for miniatures games like the varoius Star Wars RPGs, not sure if it's the right timeframe though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Bought the GW 'Northern Wastes' basing kit, it comes with a bunch of plastic icicles of various sizes. Some of the larger formations are a bit unwieldy, but they're fairly easy to snap into a more 'suitable' size.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

'dem Tau. That blue is amazing!

Thank you! I swear I didn't MEAN to make 'em look like Mega Man, but I can't complain of the end results. Just a dark blue base, a couple of blue washes and some drybrushing. All those smooth armored panels with the little ridges and panel lines respond REALLY well to basic techniques like that.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Germ posted:

A bit of shameless cross-posting in an attempt to catch some of my fellow warhams. I have a kickstarter for resin terrain that went live earlier today. In addition to some area terrain and other basics, it also includes some simple resin objective markers that are designed to work with 40k (40mm, numbers 1 through 6 for tactical objectives, with an extra 2 and an extra 3 for The Scouring). Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

The objective markers:

Some examples of the area-terrain system in action:

Edit: Aw hell, I almost forgot - the area terrain options include landmines! That way you can take a beautiful idyllic forest, and turn it grimdark and brutal.

This is approximately 40,000 different kinds of awesome. I love the thought of modular terrain patches like that, that's ridiculously clever!

Edit - I was just thinking that $60 for shipping is disgusting, then I realized I'm probably not the only one interested in the area. I think I'm going to get some of my friends together and we'll make a big single pledge together - that way we'll split the difference on the shipping.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 18, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
It kinda looks like they carved a Caestus in two and replaced the crew compartment with a giant fuckoff gun.

Also,

Salty faeit212 posted:

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
The Stormfang Gunship has the look of half of a Caestus Assault Ram, and is on the cover of next week's White Dwarf. The previous rumors really list out its abilities well. It comes with a Helfrost Destructor, two twin-linked heavy bolters, two stormstrike missiles and ceramite plating, with power of the machine spirit.

Heavy bolter upgrades to skyhammer missile launcher or two twin linked multi-meltas
stormstrike missiles can be upgraded to a twin linked lascannon.

Helfrost Destructor
Dispersed 24" S6 AP3 Hvy1, Helfrost, Large Blast
Focused 24" S8 AP1, Hvy1, Helfrost, Lance

Stormstrike Missile 72" S8 AP2 hvy1 Concussive one shot only

No idea what the so-called Helfrost special rule will do, but it seems kind of weird to be expecting a Lance weapon in an Imperial army.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
You've got to admit, it's very :jeb: in the good ole traditional Imperial school of 'triumph of thrust over aerodynamics' design. At least it's not the Land Speeder Shroud or whatever the hell the Dark Angels abomination was called - and being able to pack the gunship variant with a fuckton of high-power weapons (seriously, twin-linked lascannon, 2x TL multimelta, plus the helfrost destructor?) That thing will SAVAGE fliers and vehicles - and with PotMS you have a fairly solid shot of vaporizing one target and annoying something else with the secondary target, like a tightly-packed infantry squad with the dispersal blast on the destructor or sniping a vehicle/flier from afar with a stormstrike/lascannon shot.

I'm more concerned about the transport variant, though - can you IMAGINE the nerdrage if GW went with the Necron approach and made it a dedicated transport? Wolves would end up the 'air superiority' army for the Imperials.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thats a big loving hammer.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BULBASAUR, how many Vindicators is too many Vindicators in a Iron Warriors 30k list?

You can calculate 'too many vindicators for iron warriors' by a simple formula:

Too Many Vindicators = (x/y)+1, where:
x= The army points cost limit for Iron Warriors
y= points cost of a Vindicator plus Siege Shield.

Never not enough S10AP2 ordinance big blasts!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Karl Rove posted:

Annoyingly, a pair of them will cost me more than I paid for either dreadnought, even though I agree they look sweet as hell. I'm also tempted to kitbash an AWACS-style radar dome on top of each dreadnought to complete the Rifleman look.

I went with the Aegis autocannon arms myself for my Salamanders riflemen, along with bolting the targeting optics from the kit on top of the sarcophagus. It looks pretty nifty, even if it's low on actual armor.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AgentF posted:

I'm working on painting up batches of terrain and at one point I'm doing a wash of Agrax Earthshade. Unfortunately the wash seems to cause weird light patches to appear around where the wash settles, strangely making those areas lighter instead of darker. What's going on here? I've been shaking the pot before washing but this doesn't solve the problem.

SRM posted:

It happens sometimes when washes just pool too much I think. I would just try painting the spots where it whites out with a dark, similar color. It tends to happen more with black and brown in my experience.

I've been having the same problem myself, so good to know I'm just not going crazy. Seems the new wash formula / certain batches of it end up going white-ish if they pool too deeply - particularly large areas seem to develop a white-ish shell that cracks.

Mildly related, would it loving kill GW to design cans that actually seal properly? I keep on having to swap out paint cans that have still plenty left because the seal flubbed out and the paint dried up in the can. Meanwhile I just found a can of halfway full Goblin green I'd gotten when I started the hobby FOUR YEARS ago and the bloody thing was good to go straight from the can, just add a couple drops of water and shake.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Probably going to swing by dark sphere tomorrow to grab a marine kit, have people got the new stern guard and tactical sculpts? Is the sternguard box worth it? £25 for 5 models is a bit steep but the kit does look very nice!

Bit late, but I bought two boxes for a 10-man SG unit and was fairly impressed with the kit. They've got a LOT of detail and come with all sorts of extra bits like extra older-Mark helmets and stuff. Also picking up just one means you'll never be hurting for special weapons; each box comes with one heavy bolter, one heavy flamer, and two of each combi-weapon (-flamer, -plasma, -melta and -grav), along with two each of flamers, meltaguns, plasma guns and grav guns, five regular and five storm bolters.. I honestly want to recommend picking up one box even if you don't like Sternguard as a unit, you get so many neat bits for customizing and loading up your Marines in one box. Hell, there're so many ornate bits in there that it shouldn't be too hard to bling up a coule of standard tac marines with the parts to make an extra Sternguard or three. Same goes for Vanguard kits really, even if one box comes with 'just' five Marines you get so many close-combat weapon bits that picking up one just for the spare parts isn't too bad of a call.

The Tactical box is also one of my favorite new kits - one box comes with a fuckton of new stuff, including all the kit you can conceivably put on a marine sergeant. The only heavy weapon in the kit is, sadly, the missile launcher, but you get one of each special weapon, a bunch of bits you can use to make a combi-weapon of your choice, a handful of melee weapons.. and the bits are much more detailed than the old MArine kits were. There's really not any wasted space on the sprues at all.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So fifteen weeks ago, I got told that the people at the boopkstore that also sells warham stuff were looking for me. SO I popped by to see what was up. Turns out that there's this big sale day in town on this Saturday, and they asked about getting Warhammer on show there - GW stuff is a new thing for them and they've got literally no idea how the game works or how to sell it. SO I promised to help them out.. and ended up walking out with a 7E Dark Vengeance box, to use in demoing the game. I make a note on what paints and brushes and supplies I need, they supply the stuff, I paint the minis, they keep the finished product and I keep the paints etc.

That was.. sixteen days ago.

I JUST finished painting the whole box of the little bastards.

Hoo-AH, motherfuckers.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Impaler posted:

Absolutely brilliant, but that cloth and bone jump out as too bright. :(

SRM posted:

And you bet I fortified this ruin:

I can't help but love the contrast here. I'm probably a weird exception but I've come to love fairly-brihgt, saturated colors on my minis; not stupidly, hugely eyeburningly bright, but enough to make the little dudes stand out on the tabletop. Yes on a real battlefield they'd get muddy and dusty and smeared with whatever gunk is lying around but I want them pretty, damnit :v:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind then.

Alternatively, it looks like you could pull something similar but even more simple with something like this:

Overcoat: Steel Legion Drab / Graveyard Earth
Mask, bandages etc etc etc: Ushabti Bone / Bleached Bone (BB is a bit brighter than UB, closer to Screaming Skull)
Pants: Dawnstone / Codex Grey
Metal: Leadbelcher/ Boltgun Metal

Wash the whole of the mini with Agrax Earthshade / Devlan Mud.

Optional highlights:

Do some basic highlighting with the original colors and maybe something a notch lighter if you want to go for a two-step highlight (Tallarn Sand - Screaming Skull - Administratum Grey - Ironbreaker, respectively). If you want the gas masks eye lenses to pop out, do little dabs of red or blue, or maybe even jewel them up.

For Imperial Guard infantry, the simpler the better - 'cause you'll be doing a LOT of them!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Dropping a link to a nice video tutorial I found - it's not the same color scheme but it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. If you went with a light brown coat, just paint that Steel Legion Drab, too, and wash the entire mini Agrax Earthshade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcG5iGk0Fo

I like this guy's painting tutorials, he doesn't sound like he's a primary English speaker but he's pretty easy to follow along and uses nice basic techniques on his minis.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

Well, vehicles you need to be a little more gentle with. If you wash the whole thing you'll get these big, weird splotches where the wash has pooled and waked. If you just do it in the recesses it looks awesome though, and if you do it through an airbrush you can effectively tint the whole model.

On the other hand, do it right and you get a fairly neat camo pattern effect out of the tidemarks.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wheres the go-to place for ordering foam that fits into the GW cases?

If you don't want the custom-cut stuff, Gifts for Geeks sells 'Tabletop Tyrant' cases and foam that's, as far as I can tell, much cheaper - I quite like thier line, I have two of their big cases (a Tyrant and a Dreadnought).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is the melta-knight the recommended version of the imperial rear end-raper?

It's slightly cheaper and S9 melta is hard to come by, plus it's a longish-range large blast that absolutely decimates Terminators and the like. I definitely prefer that one, unless I know for a fact that my opponent is going to be rocking lots of 3+ or worse infantry and few vehicles.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Question for folks: I'm tired of trying to mark my Eldar skimmers with dice for their HP loss, because there's basically nowhere to balance them. I'd like to do as I did for my Necron vehicles and magnetize some HP counters onto them, but I'm at something of a loss for what an interesting way to represent it might be. Any suggestions?

Extra spirit stones?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

raverrn posted:

It depends on how dedicated you are to the idea, but I sunk some magnets into the underside of the WS top piece, then made some smoke effects with cotton balls and magnets. When they take a hit I just snap some smoke and flames on like magic. I'll grab some pictures when I'm home.

This needs to be coupled with those electric candles somebody used to make smoke and flames that were 'actually' on fire.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

I kinda thought of that, but I'm not sure what to use for it. I did some browsing of the local craft store without finding anything that really struck me as looking sufficiently "Eldary."

If you want to get clever, get some of that hot-cast silicone stuff they use to make instant molds, take an imprint of a spirit stone of a good size and shape on an existing tank, and just use the mold to make your own out of greenstuff?

This stuff. One blister costs you maybe ten bucks if I recall correctly and you can reuse it as much as you like - just heat the stuff up (I just put some in a bowl of water and slap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes), fish it out, slap it on the model, let it cool. Once it's cooled down you can just gently peel it off the mini, cut away the excess, and go to town.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

Check the battle report I posted above - we do this. Its so incredibly easy.

Buy cheap battery powered tea lights (£3 for like 12), get cotton wool, PVA the wool onto the lights, spray black, maybe drybrush some grey on.

I'm aware! I meant that somebody needs to take those, slap a magnet on the underside, and pin them onto destroyed vehicles and the like :)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Tequila Ranger posted:

Perhaps this new kit will come with some?

I'm quite stoked about this. I'm wondering if they will update these new units/rules into the digital codexs?

It apparently does come with a whole bunch of spore mines. WD says they're slightly different from the ones on the Harpy kit, though.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

loving Dreadnoughts man.

Dawn of War opening cinematic. Orks are right about to overrun the Space Marine line and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Dawn of War II opening cinematic. Banshees about to catch the Captain and OH poo poo DREADNOUGHT OUT OF NOWHERE!

Seriously, if you don't get amped for a half-dead marine in a murder machine why are you playing this game?

PantsOptional posted:

I'd have to say Dreadnoughts, just because they were one of the last models I made before getting out of the hobby last time and I was so super jazzed that they finally made a plastic version. I loved assembling that thing. It was such a satisfying feeling. And then using them as a mobile anti-tank unit was pretty great as well, as was the fact that it was the first time you could really swap out weapons without any problems.

Also because Metallica's "One" reimagined as a forever murder machine is rad as gently caress.

There guys know where the gently caress it's at. I love the fluff of the Dreadnought, the thought of a centuries (or millenia!) old Marine immortalized in a shell of steel and adamantium because they're just too much of a badass to lay down and die is awesome.

I love all patterns equally, but on the tabletop I have a particular like for the Ironclad Dreadnought. Sure it might not be the optimal choice but gently caress that noise it's a dead Marine in an angry metal box with reinforced armor equivalent to a main battle tank and with a goddamned battering ram for an arm :black101:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

An Angry Bug posted:

Yeah, meant the Devilfish. So the Hammerhead kit has all the Devilfish parts in it? Glad to hear. And more Fire Warriors sounds good too. But three Broadsides at $50 each? That seems a bit much. Wouldn't that money be better spent on an increased variety of units, or are Broadsides really that useful?

Edit: Also I like Kroot. They look neat. :saddowns:

Late to the party, but -

The Hammerhead is based on the Devilfish chassis, so the HH box comes with the DF bits plus an extra sprue with parts for the Hammerhead turret. Costs a bit more than the Devilfish box.

However, there are two Sky ray kits - the new Sky Ray box (Devilfish plus a separate sprue for Sky Ray turret parts) AND the old Hammerhead / Sky Ray box - which costs just as much as the 'plain' Sky Ray box but comes with BOTH turret sprues. If you can get your hands on the latter, I recommend it - you can just build both turrets and switch your tank between the two patterns as you like. It'll also be easy to play it as a Devilfish, all you need to do is magnetize the front sensor array so you can switch it with one of the burst cannons the kit comes with. (You get parts for two secondary gun mounts, either with twin Smart Missiles or twin Burst Cannons - of course you want the SMSes.)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ineptmule posted:

You are correct but have it the wrong way round - the new kit is the combined Sky Ray/Hammerhead kit.

I've assembled two of them and it is pretty easy to magnetise it to have all devilfish-chassis options available, with all Hammerhead weapon options etc. Or you can forgo magnets and just dry-fit some of the parts to be able to swap between the tank types without the full range of weapon options.

My bad. EIther way, the combined kit is obviously the best choice!

I didn't even magnetize mine, besides the nose mount and make the Hammerhead gun swappable - the turrets sit neatly in the socket without magnets. Only difference between a Hammerhead/Sky Ray and a Devilfish chassis is that the Devilfish has the burst cannon under the chin, where the bigger tanks have the sensor pod - I just basically glued on a little magnet inside the pod, bored a hole in a bit of sprue and glued a second magnet i there, and greenstuffed that to the back of the sensor pod. Shave down the back of one of the burst cannons so you can slip it into the mount hole and bore a magnet into that and you're set.

YOu only get two burst cannons in the whole kit but gently caress it, SMSes are strictly superior to burst cannons, so I just built the secondary gun mounts with those.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Well something that can fit a tyrannofex is going to have to be rather large now isn't it?

I'm reminded of the conversation on here recently about size creep on Tyranid MCs.

Doesn't help that the drat thing is 'floating' on those long tentacles it's got.

Speaking of, I'm kind of surprised the thing doesn't have Lasher Tendrils like the old Mycetic Spore did.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

Questions about Chaos marks and how they work. Are you allowed to mix chaos marks if you are fielding a chapter that worships one god e.g. Emperor's Children or do you have to go with one that supports chaos undivided like the Black Legion? If you did go undivided and had a chaos lord and a sorcerer could you give say the Mark of Khorne to the lord and the Mark of Slaanesh to the sorcerer? Am I right in thinking you have to have particular marks if you want to field particular units i.e. Mark of Slaanesh for noise marines and Mark of Nurgle for plague marines. Lastly if you can mix marks then could you have a lord with Mark of Nurgle and a sorcerer with Mark of Slaanesh and be able to field both plague and noise marines?

Playing a particular warband/army doesn't prevent or force you to use a particular Mark.

Certain units (the Plague/Noise Marines, Thousand Sons, Berserkers) already come with a certain Mark built in and figured into their statline, and thus are unable to purchase other Marks (No Berserkers with Mark of Tzeench, for example). Aside from that, you can take as many or few Marks of any types in your army list as you like - and yes, even if you're playing a full-on Khorne army, nothing rules-wise prevents you from plonking in a Sorcerer with, say, Mark of Nurgle in there.

The only 'real' limitation is that characters that have a certain Mark are prevented from joining a unit with a Mark other than their own. So the Sorcerer in the example above couldn't join a unit of Khorne Berserkers, as the Sorcerer has the Mark of Nurgle and the Berserkers have a Mark of Khorne. However, a Sorcerer with no Mark can freely join the same unit of Berserkers, or the Nurgle Sorcerer can join a unit of regular Chaos Space Marines with no mark at all (or a Mark of Nurgle). Abaddon's Mark of Chaos Undivided basically counts as a wild card, so he can join any unit with any mark on it, or no mark whatsoever.

Edit: You can field cult (Plague/Noise Marines, 1Ksons, berserkers) in any Chaos MArine army - as elites. Bringing along a Lord with a Mark of Nurgle, Slaanesh or Khorne unlocks that particular god's cult as a troops choice (and is generally seen as the smart thing to do, if you intend to play lots of that unit). Unlocking Thousand Sons for troops takes a Sorcerer with Mark of Tzeench. So yes, if you absolutely wanted to play Plague and Noise Marines as troops, you could bring two Lords, one with the Mark of Nurgle, the other with the Mark of Slaanesh.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 21, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I literally just got my copy, hold on and I'll check.

e: the gun is R45 S8 AP3 heavy 5 with deflagrate, but I actually can't tell if you can take it with AdMech because the new book apparently just calls all Knights 'Knights' whereas the old ones would be called Lords of War. Weird.

e2: I can confirm Solar Auxilia can take it, so it may be worth writing FW to ask if AdMech can.

Hang on. What's the specific wording for Deflagrate? I know you get a new automatic hit for every unsaved wound, but will wounds from those hits proc off more autohits? BEcause if so, that thing will just eradicate a whole squad of Marines in one go.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Re: melta talk - This is the sole reason why I like playing as Salamanders with Vulkan along.

Also somebody needs to make a diorama with a Chaos Land Raider and a couple of BA dreads dangling after it from their magna-grapples like giant tin cans.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Scuttlebutt has it that's a conversion built with a standard warrior and one of those gauss flayers from the Ghost/Doomsday Ark kit.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I just tried the Resurgence Decurion against some of my friends the other night - that's the WD special formation for Necrons. One Monolith, two squads of warriors, two squads of immortals, the monolith can restore lost models like a ghost ark. I had full 20-and 10-man blobs of warriors and immortals, backed up with a pair of smaller warrior squads in ghost arks from my primary detachment. Warrior blobs advanced to the sides and front of the Monolith, functioning as bubble wrap for the rest of the formation, while the monolith and ghost arks repaired any casualties. Adding insult to injury, I had a pair of canoptek spyders with fabricator claws follow behind the Monolith to repair vehicle damage.

Verdict: As long as the warrior squads don't get swept up in close combat or something, you can take a hilarious amount of casualties and just bounce right back. I think I lost and repaired something to the tine of fifty-sixty warriors throughout that game, right until that space wolf gunship dropped in and blew up the Monolith. Anything halfway competent in close combat is still going to make your warriors evaporate, though - let alone poo poo like tooled-up Death Company and the like.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

Sounds pretty drat fun. Here's hoping the Ghost Arks will get to bring back Immortals too in the update.

It was fun, though having that many gauss flayer shots per turn makes your shooting phases last forfuckingever - of course it didn't help that I also had a pair of Triarch Stalkers with heat rays running around. Twenty warriors rapidfiring is bad enough, but when you open up by deciding 'that needs to die right now', slap something with a pair of melta shots, and follow it up with fourty twinlinked gauss shots per warrior blob..

Edit: Of course Warrior and Immortal point costs being what they are, this only works in big games - we had an Escalation 2v2 match of 5000 points on each side, 2,5K per army. We'll see what happens with the new Codex.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 5, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So I went playing Warhammer last night with some friends in a little friendly tourney and may I say that the Eldar Lynx can suck a giant back of dicks. A 2-shot large-blast SD AP1 gun with 60" range is NOT worth a mere 420 points. Especially when it's so small that you can just turtle up the little fucker behind a couple of wave serpents. 25% coverage my dick.

In more positive notes, my first match was against somebody playing the Adamantine Lance and one of my Ironclad Dreadnoughts went Knight bowling. Said Knight faffed its hit rolls against the dread on round one, which ended up the dread smashing through its knees on round two.. and of course the loving thing keeled over and smashed into the Knight next to it before melting down. And took it along with it. Sadly that Knight exploding didn't take out the third one, but did weaken it enough for mine to move in for the kill.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

With the points drop to rokkits, I think I would typically go for them, but Big Shootas are still a useable option as well. The big advantage to Rokkits is that they open up threatening a variety of targets you otherwise would only be able ot hurt in assaults- shooting 2-3 S8 shots at a MC or a vehicle can be surprisingly threatening and can present a really tough option about whether to Jink. Big Shootas really just do what you already did better- not that that's a bad thing, of course.

The Lynx shoots really hard, it's true, but with AV11 and 6HP is can collapse pretty easily once you start hitting it. If that's any consolation to you.

Yeah, we ended up with Maelstrom mission 6 where you play corner vs corner, so he backed his pointy-eared little motherfuckers in this tight box formation with the Lynx at the back (and part-covered by this short little wall), with 3 wave serpents in a phalanx around it, so that there was no way for anything to reach the back arcs on those things, and a Wraithknight nearby. He essentially was using everyhting but the Knight to bubblewrap the Lynx. I was using a list that basically aimed to cram a couple of melta- and flamer-equipped dreadnoughs in pods down his throat - so he packed everything in tight so I couldn't reach anything important and of course couldn't roll anything but 5+ for jinks and serpent shields.

I politely informed him that if he wanted to win his own loving tournament he should just keep the prizes and not embarrass himself by waving his e-dick about.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Wait it was the guy running the tournament that was playing in it? That's not cool. In fact that's like just normal tournament etiquette to not play in the tournament you run.

edit:

Somebody got a email from GW with a picture of 3 Tomb Blades being 58 points. So looks like they got some sort of price reduction maybe and a 1 out of 3 upgrade option.

Hopefully the squad size increased.

Yeah, he was. He was also the dude who put out a big list of superheavies/structures that were banned.. that conveniently didn't include the Lynx but do include void SHild generators, that're about the opnly thing that CAN stop a ranged S-D shot.

Hixson posted:

You're doing a pretty good job at convincing me to buy a Lynx

The Lynx is obscenely, ridiculously, punch-you-in-the-face-for-being-an-rear end in a top hat broken. For being a superheavy vehicle, it's barely twice the size of a Wave Serpent and very flat, making it very easy to hide behind other tanks and/or terrain. And for 420 points, you get a main gun that shoots 2 SD AP1 large lasts out to 60". That you can pay another 10 points to twin-link with a scatter laser. It's 'only' AV11 with 6 hull points, but it also has eldar holofields which basically means as long as it moves at least a little on your turn, it gets an 'extra save' over any cover saves/etc that negate any hits it takes with a 1 or 2 on a d6. Oh, and if somebody gets TOO close to it, you can go MY CRAFTWORLD NEEDS ME and turn it into a flier for a turn to redeploy it somewhere way in the gently caress of nowhere. (It can't shoot the same turn but still). Oh, and it has an alternate primary weapon that shoots an AP2 18" torrent hellstorm template that autowounds on a 3+ and rolls 3d6 for armor penetration.

Basically whoever makes the Eldar superheavy rules at FW needs a couple of swift kicks in the reproductives.

ProfessorCurly posted:

Having had a rather unpleasant experience, allow me to ask a pair of questions:

When did they change the barrage weapon firing direction rules to "from the center of the marker" and why?

Since 5E at least, and to simulate the shell coming from straight up in a high ballistic arc?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that kind of sounds like a rip off tournament, did you pay money to play in it or was it free entry.

I didn't pay anything, a friend of mine donated a bunch of sprues from a Deathstorm box andf loot from a closed-down gamestore for prizes and provided the terrain so our group got in free. I don't know how much the entry free was for other players, if any. I ended up winning Best Painted and about fifty bucks worth of paints, so I can't really complain - the whole lynx thing just left a bad taste in my mouth, is all. It's apparently the first time this guy was organizing a tournament and it showed - the dude who was supposed to have the keys for the place they'd rented was half an hour late, there was confusion over tables and pairings, stuff like that. That said, I did have fun, other than getting myself a new mudhole stomped by the Lynx. Apparently he'd been honing that particular list for ages, and it showed - he won with 57 points out of 60. (Way I figure the scoring worked so that each match was worth 20 points total - we played with tactical objectives, on a draw each player would get 10 match points, and every VP you got over your opponent 'stole' one of your opponents' points - so if you ended up winning, say, 5-4, you'd get 11 and he'd get 9, and 5-3 would get you 12 points and get him 8, and so on - a Massacre victory was worth full 20 points)

Oh, and turns out that he's looking to trade his Eldar away for IG now - my friend and I are kind of tmepted to pull in some of our IG for an army trade, if nothing for the reason to make sure we don't end up seeing the loving thing on the other side of the table anymore.

Dude at least had fairly well-painted Eldar, too, they were all white with these red radial starburst patterns, kind of like the old Japanese flag. I'd have been even saltier if they'd been all bare plastic and resin.

Edit: I just realized that the missions we played with were taco missions 1, 3 and 6 - two diagonal deployments and one long table deployment. Of course all of these favor the Lynx with its giant fuckoff range strength-D blast gun.. Coincidence?

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 26, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I'm willing to cut the guy the benefit of doubt - we were low on players after my friend had to duck out and it was his first time organizing - but yeah, I don't think he should've been playing either, or if he was he shouldn't have been playing a goddamned Lynx in an environment that clearly favors the loving thing. For the first match, we had one of my friends (who -wasn't playing, and who's known as the local tournament nut) running as the judge, but he had to leave before the second match - I was too focused on my second game to see if Mr. Eldar was doing any rules clarifications, I'll be honest.

And yes, Vanguard is the reason I play drop pods. A foot more of empty space will not save you from STEEL REHN, heretic. :flame:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

Also, a lot of people have been saying that the Pulsar is AP1, which is incorrect; it's AP2. Matters a lot when you're shooting vehicles, which is the usual job of that thing. It's obviously still a strong shooter, but with the way Str D works now (allowing cover saves most of the time) it's not nearly as intimidating as it was last edition.

Yeaaaahhhhh, he told me the Pulsar was AP1. So that Knight of mine should've just taken 1 HP instead of 3 on his first hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The whole fluff about destroyed Necrons 'phasing out' is basically a teleport homer that recalls sufficiently damaged Necrons back to the tomb world for repairs - that's what the whole resurrection protocol roll is for, it's to see if the damage was minor enough for the 'cron frame's own self-repair systems to handle or if it needs to be recalled. It takes quite a lot of damage to destroy a NEcron frame to the pint where it can't be recalled.

Besides that, the primary task of canoptek scarabs is to actually disassemble matter into raw materials that can be proessed into new Necron warframes, structures and the like - the fact that they also make for a solid intruder deterrent and tend to eat enemy vehicles is just a big bonus. There'll never be 'new' Necrons, I think - they'll just yanks out the memory/personality engrams from destroyed frames and plug them into new bodies, but that's it.

Unrelated, a friend of mine owed me a favor and is now getting me a SICARAN BATTLE TANK. Eeeeeeeee, I can't wait!

• Locked thread