Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

So people, I just won an Ebay auction for a decently painted blood angel Landraider Redeemer at a very reasonable price (£20).

So if I want hypothetically, I can put any unit in there right (that'll fit). Dedicated transport just means it doesn't take a heavy support slot, not you can only put troops in that have LR's as dedicated.

I'm remembering this correctly (I'm away from home, and access to my rulebooks)?

Any unit (speaking just within a single codex no allies considerations) can embark on most Transports (unless it has some rules that says "can't get in vehicles, can't get in a Rhino, etc." or something like that) and yes, Dedicated Transports don't take up FOC slots, even DT Land Raiders.

Dedicated Transport means that only the unit that purchased that DT can start the game DEPLOYED in it. This doesn't mean that unit HAS to start deployed in it or that other units can't get into it later, but you can't buy a Dedicated Transport (like a discounted no-jump-pack-ASM Land Raider) and have a different unit (like a Terminator squad) start the game in it. You would have to spend a turn embarking the Terminator unit onto the transport.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Soooo, if i understand correctly. If i take a Land Raider in the Heavy Support slot and not as a dedicated unit, i can throw anything (Legal) in there and it can start the game onboard?

Normally yes, but BA doesn't have Heavy Support Land Raiders. All BA Land Raiders are Dedicated Transports which means you can buy as many of them as you have legal units to purchase them with but you can't just buy a floating Land Raider as a Heavy Support choice. They are different from other "Space Marine" codexes in that regard. The only Heavy slot Transport BA has is the Stormraven which any "legal" unit can start deployed in.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I guess this may be a question better suited for the painting thread but, well, here goes! About how long did it take you guys to learn how to paint your plastic mans half respectably? I've painted the walls of my house before but nothing so small and detailed as one of these guys!

It took about a year of painting almost every day, painting models from multiple armies and using a bunch of different techniques, to get to the level I am at now, which is maybe a tiny bit above "tabletop quality". Obviously that is subjective though. My work pales in comparison to some of the stuff posted here (which, on average, is FAR beyond tabletop quality) and in other places online but it's well beyond "Thin Your Paints" and "Pro-Painted eBay" quality. You just have to be consistent and diligent with it; painting is a skill and just like any other skill you only get better at it if you practice constantly.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

DO IT TO IT posted:

I had no clue that Interceptor no longer allows Skyfire stuff to shoot at ground targets at full BS. Ouch.

Am I understanding this right that right now there is literally no way to fire the Interceptor Drones' Ion Rifles in blast mode? You can't shoot blasts at flyers and you can't snap shoot blasts. I really hope that gets FAQed or I'm missing something. Super lame.

The first time I ever fielded a Sun Shark, I immediately disembarked the Interceptor Drones and unloaded into the back of a full health Annihilation Barge, blowing it up. At the same time, the bomber itself blew away a res orb Necron Lord. It really saved my rear end and I've used them ever since. Pretty depressing.

Actually now in 7th edition, according to straight RAW, you can't target a Zooming Flyer with Blast/L.Blast/Template weapons ever, even if the weapon has Skyfire. However, for some reason, you CAN target Swooping FMCs with Blast/L.Blast/Template weapons that have Skyfire. There is a clear distinction in the phrasing of "Hard to Hit" for Zooming Flyers and Swooping FMCs that makes FMCs worse than they were in 6e in this specific instance.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I kind of want to make a Chaos Daemon army with 3 Soul Grinders, an Ally with all vehicles , and a Helbrute Formation. Good Idea bad idea?

Something like

3 Soul Grinders
5 Helbrutes
1 Maulerfiend
1 Heldrake
PlagueMarines in a Rhino
Terminators in a Landraider

Although I may be doing this just to justify buying a Landraider for my Chaos Space Marine Army.

It's a bad idea from a competitive standpoint but from a "what looks badass" standpoint it would be pretty far up there. Personally if I was going "Big Daemon Machines" I'd lose as many of the "tank vehicles" and infantry as possible and play with multiple primary FoCs/Allies or Unbound in order to fill my list with as many Daemonic Vehicles (including the Lord of Skulls :getin:) as possible.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Picked up some horrors and a herald of Tzeench, with the nerf to monsterous creatures, is the lord of change worth it?

A decked out LoC is still strong but not being able to assault after flying and only getting 1 Smash Attack now is a HUGE blow. You have to be really careful in your positioning now in order to not get assaulted after you land but also stay in range for you to assault the following turn but also not get blown away by shooting. Kairos might be a better choice simply because he isn't built to assault anyways so no need to worry about it plus he brings more powers and warp charges to the table along with that free re-roll. I played heavy FMC Daemons and I've been moving away from it just because it's really difficult to set up for the assault now and I've been getting more success out of large CC units led by Heralds. You can still make a strong Daemon army with zero or one MCs.

Personally I don't even really like the Horrors + Herald power unit anymore. Flickering Fire got way more difficult to cast, so much so that I regularly question why I even brought the unit to begin with. They went from a top performer in 6e to underperforming in 7e for me.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 23, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

koreban posted:

Venerable dreadnaught with dreadnaught power axe and storm shield (3++) is frightening.

If the rule writers insist on not changing the point costs on Dreads and/or not making them "squadable", having Dreads with an invul save is actually a great first step in making them something other than hot garbage.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Chance II posted:

I've got this Capt. for my Armageddon Steel Legion's Blood Angels allies but no head... I'm thinking about buying a death mask bit from the sanguinary guard off ebay or I could just pop a normal dude's helmet off a spare tac marine.

Death Mask all the way.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

spacegoat posted:

Looking forward to a literal Batwing whenever Blood Angels get redone.

They will get a chariot for their HQs and it will be a space dracula coffin and I will buy it without even seeing the rules.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

But how many angel wings will it have?

It will be pulled by giant disembodied angel wings.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Speaking of Chariots: If a Burning Chariot Jinks, is the Exalted Flamer rider forced to Snap Shoot? There's nothing that states occupants of a transport are forced to Snap Shoot if a Skimmer Transport claims a Jink save (a nice boost to Ghost Arks and Dark Eldar transports), but Exalted Flamers aren't traditional "occupants" per se. However a chariot rider's shooting attack is separate from the actual chariot vehicle's shooting attack (if it has one) so ?????

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 2, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

Double-checking "The Rules," Chariots go out of their way to specify that Chariots and Transports are different, and should a Chariot suffer a Stunned result the rider wouldn't suffer a penalty whereas a Transport must make a Leadership check and (if failed) can only fire Snap Shots until the end of the next turn. However, the Jink special rule states that any models in the unit that Jinks (such as the rider of said Chariot) must fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn (pg. 167).

Except it says on p.167 "If the unit Jinks, all models in the unit with this special rule gain a 4+ cover save until the start of their next Movement phase, but they can only fire Snap Shots until the end of their next turn". The Exalted Flamer doesn't have the Jink special rule, the Chariot (being that it is a Skimmer) has the Jink rule. So as far as I can read it, only the Chariot vehicle has to follow the Jink restrictions.

I'm not trying to play "who knows the shittily written rules the best" or anything. It's more pure curiosity given that the Burning Chariot might actually be an okay pick for "Funhammer" lists now.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 2, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

koreban posted:

p.86: "A chariot is an unusual unit with a dual profile - a non-vehicle profile for the rider of the Charios, and a vehicle profile for the Chariot itself. However, a Chariot is always treated as a single model. For the purposes of characteristics tests, always use the rider's profile. Furthermore, any characteristics modifiers that affect a chariot model apply to both rider and Chariot."

So snap shots would apply to both the vehicle and rider similarly.

That's solid rules proof to me. There's not much difference between a 4+ cover and a 5+ invul anyways.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

drgnvale posted:

I'm finally getting around to building my stormraven (I bought this around the time the flyer expansion came out since the rumor was vanilla marines would be able to use it). I had originally planned to magnetize the turret so I could swap between the lascannon and assault cannon, but now it feels like it'll be too much effort.

Help me decide between the lascannon and the other options please. I had assumed I'd always take the lascannons because then I could put out some long range hurt on other flyers while letting my stormtalon(s) deal with shooting things in the back with an assault cannon. But maybe the lascannons aren't the best choice. For what it's worth, none of the people I play regularly use many flyers or AV13 tanks, but I assume my space wolves opponent will run at least two of the new transport/gunship.

Just magnetize the turret.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

drgnvale posted:

Yeah; I thought it'd be easier to magnetize and keep the rod in place, but I don't have the right size magnets for that. I'll probably just do something similar to what you have (assuming you also have the shrouds done, because I'm keeping those shrouds).

The shrouds? All you have to do is cut the square pegs off and glue the rod into place within the turret. 1/8th inch magnets (those are 1/8th x 1/16th) have a strong enough hold to stop the guns from automatically drooping downward.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 3, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

How unique are the arms for the Sanguinary Guard? I kind of want to get a box and use them as gunslinger vanguard veterans.

Vvvv Sorry, I meant how out of place would it look if I used regular marine arms since they'll be packing two pistols.

They should match fine. The Sanguniary Guard legs and torsos are some of the best in the entire line; as far as I know its the only kit with a bunch of the "ab armor, high collar" artificer torsos. Most of the arm detail comes from their shoulder pads and their weapons (which are attached to the arms) so if you wanted to use "plain" arms it would look perfectly nnormal. There is a lot of BA iconography on the legs and torsos (wings, tear drops, wreaths, etc.) which would probably look little out of place in an army of Black Templars or Salamanders but if you are playing BA it would be fine.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 5, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Does anybody else just not even put models together until they're already at least partially painted? I found out early on I don't have sufficiently steady hands to hit small details around bodily obstacles without a ton of trouble.

I paint my models almost completely disassembled now. It makes the painting process easier for me and it motivates me to actually finish painting models so I can get them on the table. If I know I can't use it until it's completely done I'm far more likely to power through the painting.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Tried out the Lord of Change with my CSM. It was amazing and superfun just flying around setting things on warp fire.

Flamers worth it ?

Everything Daemons is cool until you start dying to Instability or passing out FNP like candy or failing your Grimoire roll every turn.

I run Flamers in 3s as suicide Deep Strike units, usually 1 or 2 units because there's not much FOC competition in the Elites slot. 3 models lets you set up in a straight line which means every model can fire it's flame template. I think 4 would be okay as well with the 4th Flamer strategically on the front but any more than that and you start running into models that can't fire without clipping another model which means they can't shoot when they arrive and probably won't get to shoot at all before dying. This is pretty much the only way to run them, if you try and jump them up the table they will just get blown away long before they do any damage.

Flamers are pretty decent for 69 points as long as you're okay with taking the Deep Strike risk of landing in "very likely to mishap" spots, landing within Rapid Fire all the time and also realizing they will get 1 or 2 shooting attacks before they die. S4 AP4 isn't amazing but it will absolutely ruin non 3+ armor and even against marines if you don't scatter out of template range you can still pile on tons of hits on a unit. Last time I played, 3 flamers ended up doing 18 hits on a Tac squad on the same turn they arrived. I only ended up with 4 wounds though but that's the dice for you. The Warpflame test ended up doing another 3 non-saveable (there was no invul involved) wounds. After they arrive and shoot you end up with a relatively fragile T4/2W/5++ jump unit that is pretty dangerous but nobody wants to assault lest they eat a bunch of D3 S4/AP4 Warpflame auto-hits which means at least one unit will have to divert it's shooting away from your "main force" in order to take out the Flamers.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 6, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I am running them as allies for my CSM and have been loving them so far, despite initial reports, horrors are no joke this edition and really give a boost in the psychic phase. I want to go with a tzeench mono god allied detachment so flamers would fit nicely.

Eventually you'll get a bad game where just nothing goes your way but that's the dice for you. I still like Daemons a lot but I've distanced myself from the Pink Horror + HoT power blob because it's nearly impossible to get a 3WC Flicker (from the Horrors), 2WC Prescience, 2WC Flicker (from the HoT) off now. Something always fails and at 7WC base cost + "insurance" dice you've pretty much used all your dice for the phase compared to 6e when all you had to do was pass three LD10 Psychic Tests. I can just find a better, more reliable, use for those points now.

I had a ton of success from running two barebones 11 model Horror units last time I played though; they didn't cast any powers but they racked me up a ton of VP. 99 points for an ObjSec Troop that gives 2WC to my pool really helped my "new" psychic powerhouses: Heralds of Slaanesh, the Keeper of Secrets and Slaanesh Bio Princes. Going full Telepathy and Biomancy is vicious.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 6, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh hai guys howz it goi

...ing

:downs:

Is it just me or does the Dimacheron look like it's out of scale? To me it doesn't look like a very large model made for a 28mm Heroic game. It looks more like they took a small 28mm Heroic scale model and blew it up which makes it look like some kind of "limited edition" display model.

Thanatar Siege Automata owns though.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

Sorry for the :shobon: posting, but I got to play my Tyranids today at my local comic shop, and I had a lot of fun with my fellow nerdlords. They basically taught me how to play the game and I learned that I really like twin-linked weaponry. My Carnifex got to :black101: a Dark Eldar transport, but he died shortly after from the squad inside. I think I'll have a lot of fun because the guys were pretty chill and candid about everything and gave me some great advice. I will say that my next purchases will be some synapse creatures because, while I luckily rolled Synaptic Lynchpin, I definitely might have had some trouble ganking poo poo with my flying Hive Tyrant as well as keeping the rest of my army in range had I not. List wise, I think I might put a little more focus into monstrous creatures just to keep the model count at a sane level, but I must confess that I was really enjoying throwing fistfuls of dice worth of devourer attacks at Dark Eldar units that were paroxysm'd, or anything that crossed my path in general.

Go full MC and 40mm+ base models and enjoy having 2k+ points in ~20 models and not having to spend 30 minutes completing your movement phase.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Rayjenkins posted:

Kinda funny, considering my first game ever was a guy playing Dark Eldar, who was teaching me the game with a friend of his educating me on the finer points of Tyranid play (just shovel the gaunts forward a bit because gently caress moving 80+ models in a reasonable time span). I had to use the Devourers that came with my Carnifex on my Hive Tyrant, when in reality he's rocking twin-linked devourers, but they all basically told me the same thing you're saying. I'll probably end up grabbing some of those twin-linked Devoureres from Forge World at some point, just because I like their look and all that other nerd poo poo. With that thought, I could slap twin-linked devourers on Carnifexs as well couldn't I? At that point, I'd have a 50% chance (not including the twin-linked reroll) to hit with some mean shots wouldn't I? I should really look into magnetizing any future Carnifex models I get.

Yes, Carnifexes can take the same 2x TL-BL Devs as a Hive Tyrant so a full Carnifex brood can be putting out 36 TL BS3 S6 AP- shots; this is also pretty much the best load out for them. Buying that many Forgeword arms would cost as much, if not more, than a full price box of 2 Carnifexes though so most people just say "my Carnifexes have Brainleech Devs". Those Forgeworld arms were designed for the FHT which only has 1 set of arm sockets available so they kinda don't represent WYSIWYG for Carnifexes if you care a lot about that at all although they fit the models just fine.

Rayjenkins posted:

So a Carnifex can take adrenal glands along with spine banks yeah? I used the spiny looking carapace and I have no loving idea where I should glue this thing.

The adrenal gland doesn't really fit onto any of the carapaces other than the "smooth" one and you can't mount it on their chests like on other Tyranid models because they have those spines down the middle. I wouldn't worry about modeling or even taking Spine Banks because Carnifexes are already one of the slowest units in the game so dropping from I2 to I1 for charging through terrain isn't a big deal because they were probably going to attack last anyways plus their D3 Hammer of Wrath attacks hit at I10 all the time.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 16, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Those guys own; you got the Salamanders skin tone perfectly.

In other news, here's how to waste 140 bucks:

Seven thumbs down for not taking the paint job past "initial basecoat and color blocking".

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

First, don't play that guy. Don't even talk to him or make eye contact. He is dead to you.

But, I think that's cheating: ICs joining each other and LoSir-ing onto each other I'm unsure about, but I'm 99% sure you cannot attach ICs to a unit that always consists of 1 model, ie Mephiston (he isn't an IC himself). Does anyone who's more current know anything about this?

I'm pretty sure it is legal because they changed the verbiage of the rule in order to do what it was supposed to originally do (I assume). It used to be "ICs can't join Vehicle Squads and units that are always one model" but then there were issues with how that was worded and units like Carnifex Broods and Riptides (that technically aren't ALWAYS single model units) so now it's "ICs can't join Vehicle Squads or MCs" which means ICs can attach to other ICs and to single Character units. It really shouldn't work that way but that's the rules for ya.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Also the LOS wound must be allocated to the closest model from the target model, so the only way he gets to pick and choose like that is if they are all in base-to-base with each other.

That's not too hard to do, Mephiston goes in the front, Corbulo and Draigo right behind him and then Cotez behind both of them, making a diamond formation; they don't even need to be in B2B contact, as long as Corbulo and Draigo are equidistant from Mephiston.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 18, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SRM posted:

I'd say give Wyches a throwable grenade that causes pinning since that negates Overwatch, but when most units in the game are LD8-10 it's not gonna happen often.

The Phantasm Grenade Launcher upgrade gives the entire unit Assault and Defensive Grenades. Defensive Grenades can be thrown now and cause a Blind test if they hit instead of giving +1 cover within 8". It's 20 points to get the "sergeant" and the grenade launcher but that's not so bad given that you get LD9, Assault Grenades and the ability to drop an entire unit down to BS1/WS1 if they fail their Blind check which can really mess with armies like Orks and Necrons. IF I was going to use Wyches I'd make sure to take one just for the utility but they are still kinda pretty bad though.

Speaking of Defensive Grenades; can BS0 models still throw "Blast" grenades in the shooting phase even though they could never actually pass a shooting "to-hit" roll?

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 19, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

AbusePuppy posted:

Units with BS0 are not allowed to make shooting attacks of any kind, so no.

Yeah, I finally found where it actually says this in the new rulebook; it's on P.32 even though the reference page (P.9) doesn't specifically say "Models with BS0 can't make shooting attacks". I guess my Beasts of Nurgle don't get the benefit of being able to blind things.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 19, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do Psilencers work on Dreadknights? Can they actually take two of the same gun?

Dreadnights could take two special guns but they couldn't double up on the same gun in the 5e codex.

TKIY posted:

Just how stupid is going all assault?

Pretty stupid and bad. You will get blown away long before you ever get into CC. Tyranids are fragile in general and without any sort of shooting to back them up, their CC units will just get shredded from a distance just trying to get across the table. Once you get into CC range you have to deal with middling armor saves vs. rapid fire guns. It's not a good combo.

The first list is pretty close to my "base" Tyranid list which also has assault units thrown in but it's mainly a "shoot at things from a distance and scare my opponent with a few huge CC threat units". The shooting tends to get a lot of work done because whoever I'm playing against breaks their focus on the Synapse models (Warriors, Zoanthropes, FHT) and starts going after the Trygon/Mawloc, or the Swarmlord with his bodyguards, or the full Carnifex brood, etc.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 20, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Boon posted:

It's been around since the beginning of Undead armies, but I think he means ALL wizards can do it.

On a separate note, I'm hearing a lot of people (not here) say you can cast as many powers as you have dice for. So when I look at the rulebook and the very first sentence under the very first rule in the Psychic Phase portion of the book (Mastery Level) says that you cannot, I'm not being crazy right? It's even bolded...

Each psyker can cast as many powers as he/she has access to (based off ML level which directly effects the number of powers you will have access to) as long as you have the dice available but you can't cast any power (per each Psyker) more than once per Psychic Phase.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 22, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Boon posted:

How do you get that from what is written in the book? Let's look at the actual wording:

P.24 bottom left paragraph "If, after attempting to manifest a psychic power, you still have Warp Charges left, you can attempt to manifest another psychic power with the same unit, or select another of your Psyker units and attempt to manifest a power the new unit knows. Assuming you have enough Warp Charge points, you can alternate back and forth between the same Psyker units in this way, but no unit can attempt to manifest the same psychic power more than once per Psychic Phase".

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 22, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Turn your useless bits into objectives!

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

...but where's the rest of the Defiler? :raise:

Still in the box on the shelves at Games Workshop :c00lbert:

For some reason the Soulgrinder kit comes with two Iron Claws even though the model can only be modeled out of the box with one. I figure it's a blown off arm and some scrub tier cultist needs to go re-claim it. Or maybe it's a trophy for some Imperial army. Or maybe the whole thing is just buried and when you claim the objective you get the Objective VP but also a Soulgrinder appears and you have to fight it.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 26, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Does anybody have any links/tutorials/tips for painting gemstones?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Direwolf posted:

Modeling question. I picked up a bunch of Eldar reaaally cheap, which is great! But, my new Wraithknight a. didn't come with a base and b. is modeled in a way that I'm not sure how to put him on a base when I pick it up.

The left leg fell off in transit and obviously I can still pop out and reposition the right as well, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work as is. Not really sure how to balance him, as with the current stance and leg out he'd be on one leg no matter what.

Ideas?

It looks like it's sort of jumping away from something or landing from a jump? Maybe build a scenic base with a big rock type formation on it (possibly with an actual rock in it to create a counter weight) and put a hefty pin (basically like a 1/4" or larger rod) in the hill part of the base and his foot on the extended leg to keep it connected. And use some 2 part epoxy to get the foot solidly attached to the base. Also fix that floppy rear end Heavy Wraithcannon.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 11, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JerryLee posted:

I can't speak for other codices but I'm pretty sure CSM can just straight up do it on a generic lord or even a unit champion. These models generally start with a bolt pistol and CCW, so just buy a plasma pistol replacing the CCW, boom, done.

BA sergeants (and maybe some other models) can get double infernus or plasma pistols (or a mix) if I remember correctly. I always wanted to model my ASM sergeants with twin pistols to match the special weapons but 30 points is a huge sink on one throwaway model in an already overpriced codex.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, gains +2 strength but loses, "you just might get infinite attacks"? I'm okay with that.

Compared to the old Blood Talons it's actually +4S (unless Furioso Dreads are no longer S6) and AP2 vs AP3 which is a pretty huge boost. There's nothing worse than getting your Blood Talon Furioso Dread caught in a fight with a 2+ or 3++ armor unit and spending the entire game just bouncing saved hits of each other. Blood talons used to just be Lightning Claws with the "bonus attacks" rule but now they are Dreadnought CCWs that also have Lightning Claw rules (not that I'm complaining at all)? If that's what Blood Talons do, what could Blood Fists do that would be any different? AP1 and some kind of anti-vehicle/building rule? I have a feeling Talons be expensive compared to a free gear swap like before. Or maybe they will be exclusive to Death Company Dreads.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 4, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

It'll be neat if BA can take them in regular sergeants now.

Either give the space marine chapters with their own books a ton of stuff to differentiate them from regular SM or just combine them back into the C:SM book.

BA ASM sergeants can already take Infernus Pistols but they are only 6" range which makes it almost impossible to take advantage of the Melta rule. Also they are 15 points each. It's hard to justify the points for a niche pistol when you can just get a power sword/axe instead.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 5, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

His model has never had a power weapon, right? I'm look at the Tycho miniatures and I can't see them carrying a power weapon.

He used to have a rule that allowed him to ignore all armor saves in CC and get +D6 to pen to represent "The Dead Man's Hand". I guess he just lost that hand somewhere. He is 30-45 points cheaper though.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Don't digital weapons have AP3 or something?

Digital weapons just let you re-roll a single failed to-wound in CC.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Does the teleport homer work when the models are embarked in a transport? Could you, theoretically, have the Stormravens fly in turn one, zoom 36 inches forward, and then call down three drop pods of Furioso Dreads from the goofy Elite detachment and have them charge at something you don't like? I mean, it would be entirely dependent on the first reserve roll going off, but if it's even possible to threaten something with a charge 60 inches from your board edge that'd be hilarious

Drop Pods aren't assault vehicles so Dreads still have to wait a turn to assault (unless that OTHER formation makes Drop Pods assault vehicles). Also Locator Beacons only work if the model carrying it was on the table at the start of your turn so you can't really utilize them with this formation on Turn 1. A couple units of dirt cheap Infiltrating Scouts or Scout Bikers might make more useful drop pod beacons.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 16, 2014

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

This thing definitely became a chore to finish so I left the underside antenna array off and and painted the canopy astronaut gold. Eventually I'll paint some spirit stones (once I can get some more practice painting gems) and paint the TL-Shuriken Catapult/Cannon but for now it's fully magnetized and table ready.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Cataphract posted:

Man I wish that forgeworld sold the stonecrusher kits by themselves. I got two carnifexes from deathstorms and don't want to buy two more just for some hands and poo poo.

Haruspex arms (from a bit seller) + Carnifex Crushing claw arms + Mace Tail biomorph bit can make a "good enough" Stonecrusher Carnifex. Don't know what to do about the battering ram shell part or the wrecking ball thing though.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004
Where does it say the Lynx is AV 11/11/11 420 points other than Battlescribe? Was there a FAQ that changed it from AV 12/12/10 320 points that I just can't find or did they change it in a new edition of an IA book? I'm legitimately just curious as my friend and I are thinking about bringing superheavies into our games just to see how broken poo poo gets and every time the Lynx gets brought up it's always referred to as AV11, 400+ points.

• Locked thread