Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds frightful.

Good news though - nobody will be going to World Cup matches on the train.

yeah they will.
brazil have invested heavily in transport infrastructure upgrades, including light rail connecting stadia to city centres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

Anyway, I'm praying for an England-Germany match so I can support Germany.

i'm hoping for England - Iran so the guys with the huge 'supporting both teams' banner above their shop on kensington high st have to pick a side

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Spangly A posted:

no they wont, half the sodding riots are about the fact they made the trains utterly unaffordable by doing so at a time when the world cup meant they had no money.

unaffordable to the locals. but the football tourists who've already spend hundreds on flights and match tickets can.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

whoever gets brazil please pick the labour party as your charity

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

It's 'near a tube station' though (no poo poo, it looks like it's been built in a tube tunnel)

looks more like it's under a railway arch.

as tempting as a shag pad less than a minute's walk from heaven is, i think i'll pass.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

It actually looks quite nice until you read the bit about the height and the price!?!

I used to rent a 3 bedroom, 2 floor, 2 bathroom with a dining room, kitchen, living room and a roof terrace apartment on the loving seafront in Brighton for 1000 a month not that long ago. Thats the same price as that shithole.

Who do I have to kill here to stop everything going mental, i'll take the fall.

and if you're ever caught short at charing x without 30p for the loo you can just pop home!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I think people were argung at cross purposes in the last page.
Green belt does not mean agricultural land. Lots of it is quite simply waste ground.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

[citation needed] because by my very unscientific sampling most of the London green belt seems to be agricultural (dairy in Essex and Herts, arable in Kent and Surrey - the area between the M25 and the Medway is still some of the most productive agricultural land in Europe). It also tends to have lovely transport links so absent massive infrastructure works all you're going to do is send even more traffic into central London.

citation that green belt doesn't mean agricultural? that's just from the definition in the act. forestry and other other outdoor spaces with a lack of buildings can count if you like.

waste land i meant locations like dale "farm" the site of a former scrapyard & waste tarmac dump that Basildon council still classify as green belt.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The big unknown is how the cohort who voted for the first time in 2010 will go. They were a big factor in the Lib Dem's success but obviously are going to be massively disillusioned with them. The Tories will be hoping and praying they'll be so disillusioned that they'll just stay home, which will probably see the Tories squeak back in on a small minority. Interestingly Labour don't really seem to be making much attempt to court them beyond a limp "Eh maybe we'll put tuition fees back to 3 grand iunno", perhaps because they also believe that generation are pretty much lost.

i think labour have been doing more than you give them credit for:
banning letting agent fees a la scotland
limits on rent increases
security of tenancy for 3 years

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are they things they've actually come out and said they'd do, rather than floating trial balloons, like this wealth redistribution thing they've leaked to the Mail? Stuff that they can use to keep the Left onside but still claim they never promised to do if they got in power?

Well they forced a vote they knew they'd lose on it in parliament. Would be hard to back down and not have a vote when they'd actually win.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Supporting the Tories retroactive law change to avoid complying with a legal judgement about workfare that went against the Government....

lol didn't say they were perfect

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

It's funny how much of this thread doesn't get the point of Opposition Day. Its entire purpose is so that a party can put down a "Protect Kittens" motion worded in such a way that the Government can't support it, so that the Opposition can use it to say "Look, the opposition wants to kill kittens!". Tories used it that way quite masterfully.

e: Take, for example, this motion from December 2009, moved by Andrew Lansley (!):

i don't see how that contradicts my point that Labour were doing more to attract the vote of generation rent that doggamtwisto was crediting them with :confused:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's pretty far from perfect.

it's also something that i suspect most people will have forgotten about come election day next May.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's not really an excuse.

and the topic wasn't "good or bad" it was "vote winner or loser with this particular demographic"

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

HortonNash posted:

Can the Mayor ignore the assembly like that? Because the vote against is pretty overwhelming.

the london assembly is sadly a paper tiger

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

everyone in this thread: stop saying cannons
it's cannon
you are all the worst people

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

Language evolves, granddad, if you don't like it go live in France. :colbert:

sadly i've only reached level A1 of the Common European Framework

maybe in a year or two

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fact, I'm struggling to think of a mainland UK example this century where there have been large groups to disperse that weren't actually caused by the police kettling people in and not allowing them to disperse (and then loving baton charging them anyway).
Poll tax riots is the first to spring to mind.

The Met's own justification for getting them lists:
2004 Countryside Alliance protests
1999 carnival against capitalism
2002 Millwall v Birmingham football riots
2010 Millbank student protest

Not sure how they'd get them up the stairs for the last one.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Undead Hippo posted:

The total collapse of Scottish Conservatism only really happened in the 90s though. Back in the 60s and 70s, Conservatives were getting about 40% of the populations votes, and around 1/3 of the seats. It totally makes sense that this slightly below national average result would have a low impact on the overall results. In the 80s the vote share collapsed, but due to the way First Past the Post works, they managed to hang on to a big chunk of seats. It is only in the generation since the 90s that Scotland has been united in its rejection of Conservatives. And in that generation, there have been multiple strong Labour victories, and one weak Tory victory that would have been strong without the influence of Scotland.

a majority of 9 is not a 'strong victory'.
it's barely workable and would have still needed Lib Dem support and/or collapsed.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Party Boat posted:

If Scotland does get independence, is there anything to stop the line from being redrawn? I know that back when devolution kicked in meaning free prescriptions / higher education Berwick made noises about Scotland looking awfully nice and they wouldn't mind joining them.

As someone who lives a couple of miles north of Wallsend I'd be okay with using the line Hadrian laid down.

are you expecting berwick to break away like the crimea?

in principle nothing to stop it happening.
but it'd be more hassle than either holyrood or westminster would care to deal with.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I think it probably was, and maybe the Poll Tax specifically.
that's the big one.

but there's also the betreyal over the devolution vote. promises were made about a 'no' vote that were completely reneged upon.
that scotland's oil & gas wealth wasn't being used to any benefit in scotland.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If I get a free copy of the Sun through the door can I wrap it around a brick and send it back at their expense?

no

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Cerv can bring it, I have a citation ready and everything!

Pics or gtfo

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

Hmm, I see what you are saying but I disagree. The clock can be stopped. The ref's are supposed to do a correct job. There is a bit of difference between 'jumpers for goalposts' and an international competition. You dont see this sort of silly bollocks in the olympics do you?

err, yeah you do. see the controversy at the fencing in 2012 for example.

incorrect calls by the ref naturally fall randomly in favour of either team with equal frequency, so it doesn't actually matter really.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

thehustler posted:

I did wonder that. So why do they continually arrest that Naked Rambler guy?
because authority doesn't like being challenged. he makes a point of getting naked as soon as he's out of prison, when he's in the dock, etc. if you stick two fingers up to the law like that they don't like it.

also been done more for contempt of court, violating terms of an asbo, breach of the peace, rather than indecency.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

do we have the world's smallest violin ready for widdecombe?

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/06/18/ann-widdecombe-i-was-very-alienated-by-gay-marriage/ posted:

Former Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe says David Cameron’s decision to legalise same-sex marriage left her feeling “alienated”.

Promoting her new autobiography ‘Strictly Ann’ in an interview to The Daily Telegraph, Widdecombe dismissed claims that she was prepared to defect to UKIP.

“I’d rather form my own party than ever join UKIP. We could call it the Widdy Mob,” she said, before adding: “I’m joking.

“I was very angry with the Conservatives, I was very alienated by gay marriage, not only by the issue but by the attitude of the party high command.

“David Cameron just bulldozed the whole thing through, though it had never been in any manifesto or tried or tested.”

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

didn't the thread do rich fuckers in speedboats chat to death months ago? why repost an article from jan

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Seaside Loafer posted:

Even if the parents are on the level isnt it technically illegal to leave a child under 12 unattended?

Looked it up, its https://www.gov.uk/law-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone so its not technically illegal its a case by case judgement.

That kid was like 5 or something right? Thats well wrong. My parents and their friends would leave us kids in the hotel on summer holidays once we were off to sleep to go down to the bar and whatever but we were 8/9 ish, there were 5 of us and they would come and check on us.

you are aware that you're looking at the wrong jurisdiction for this case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I heard the mother on the radio this morning not sure why today.
oh, the mother's doing a charity drive now
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27932418

sadly seems she's still in the denial stage a bit

quote:

"My husband was hugely safety conscious," she said.

"We had done our speedboat courses. He had always worn a kill cord.

• Locked thread