Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Fractal cooking.

Philip Glass's sandwich

alternatively

Somebody tell the foreverially tiedup guy about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, I think personally I'd prefer the image that Buddha's the one guy Kratos doesn't kill. He's either so chill that Kratos is incapable of having a beef with him, or so at peace that there's no point to it.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" is a koan, not meant to be taken literally. Something to do with destroying your external ideas of what it means to be a buddha, so you can strive towards becoming one yourself?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Q. Does a dog have the Granos nature?

A. Call Animal Control on the dog.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Top o' the moirnin to 'ya!

Wow, the stories of the Old West really undersell the power of the lonesome cowpuncher

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is why I liked seeing SA forums poster "Whilst Farting I" around.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

maou shoujo posted:

In SSBMelee I loved mashing the confirm button on a character to make the announcer say their name repeatedly.

Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario, Doctor Doctor Doctor Mario

Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay- Mr. Gay-man Watch

The CD version of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary was fully voiced by the original cast. I got stuck in one mission and did the adventure game flail of trying every inventory item on every onscreen object. Being, like, 12 at the time, I found it way too entertaining to try to use the phaser on things only to have Deforest Kelly tell me, "Jim, put that thing away."

"Jim, put that thing away."

"Jim, put that thing away."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I only ever had the platformer for the regular Genesis, and that was great, because you could play as Grant or a loving velociraptor. (Try and guess what 90% of my playtime was.)

I don't remember much about The Lost World on the PSX... except for the Dreamworks splash screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyl77NjhqiM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

My brother got me a £20 gift card so I got a bunch of Xbox 360 games - been playing the original Transformers game, based off the first movie as I remember it being fun but never got very far. While the driving is wonky, the at-will transforming is quite satisfying, like "Oh, the next checkpoint is across that confusingly laid out dual-carriageway junction? gently caress that, robot mode and just jump across to the right branch, then back into vehicle mode after touching down for extra speed. It feels like playing the Hulk games, due to everything exploding around you and being able to climb anything you haven't exploded, but you can turn into a vehicle as well. It's pretty fun so far, currently at the second level so further than I got before.

Aw, man, if you liked that, you'da liked War For/Fall Of Cybertron, but Activision pulled the PS4 and Steam licenses.

No climbing in those, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 360/PS3 versions are the originals. The PC version was a port, which I thought was decent but some people had gripes about. There were also unrelated versions of WFC for the Wii and DS.

One of the fun things about WFC is that it had co-op multiplayer, and just the mechanics of how it worked made it harder than single-player. See, in 1p, every level is you and two bots playing the three characters for that level. If a bot is knocked out of commission, they just go silent for a bit. You can totally solo it. If you're multiplayer, every human takes over one of the characters. And if a human is knocked out, there's a timer to revive them until the game ends. So it becomes more of a scramble to prop up your deadass teammate as well as fight the level.

I don't play a lot of multiplayer anything, but I did the first half of the game with a couple other goons from BSS and I had a really great time. There's one level which is just a giant boss fight and it felt like a real achievement taking him out.

In FoC, the individual levels are better, but they ditched the co-op.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

wafflemoose posted:

"How about goodbye?"

Yeah the renegade prompts are always so tempting.

If you don't headbutt that Krogan dude, I just don't know what the gently caress.

Conversely, on a Renegade run, if you don't hug Tali after she finds her dead father, I similarly don't know what the gently caress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo3_az-fpXU

Dragon Quest Builders won't let me be stupid

Between this and more Skyrim chat, I'm still on my first playthrough of that and I found... this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJfZNYWR3I

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

aegof posted:

It is that game.

It's also the game where you re-enact the stories you know about the gods, by dressing up as them and putting on a skit. Except when you do that, you are literally re-enacting those stories, so at the end of the skit you can claim treasures like the sword of the god of death, or you can improve your clan members, or a number of other bonuses for your clan.

But you can also screw it up, and when you do, what you did is now the way it happened. Like, if you do the story where the god of trading discovers how to make maps, and you gently caress that up, now he never discovered how to make maps, which means nobody who worships him knows that either, which means YOU JUST WIPED YOUR MAP SCREEN AND EVERY SINGLE ORLANTHI CLAN IS LOST AS poo poo and they're all pissed off at you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

"You're going to take a fall, Goro!"
"Is that so?"
"Yeah, because I'm going to punch you in the loving dick." :whatup:

Oh, please tell me that Johnny Cage now has a reputation as a dickpuncher because of the movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

If you must, here is Johnny Cage nut punching every character in every Mortal Kombat game from 1992 - 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lyNf8S6XU

Clearly I have not played nearly enough Mortal Kombat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think its ok, but you have to leave the chainsaw running overnight.

Like, you can't start the chainsaw, but if you just happen to "find" a running chainsaw, and carry it in front of you, you can't be blamed if some demons accidentally stumble into it?

Or is it also illegal to pick up and carry a tool? In that case, would you have to strap yourself to the running chainsaw the night before?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It wasn't just the campaign, individual skirmish/multiplayer maps had the doomsday counter for nukes on by default.

It was often turned off in multiplayer though because otherwise a viable move if you were losing would be to launch enough nukes to trigger the counter so that everyone loses instead.

But that's, like, actually the case

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
rear end Creed: Black Flag: the sea shanties are cool and good, as is the ability to pet both dogs and cats

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

There's a reason Chuck Norris facts were originally Vin Diesel facts.

My all-time favorite Vin Diesel fact is both in-character with the whole Norris/Diesel/Bill Brasky Meme Complex, and also completely true and immediately verifiable.

Vin Diesel is an anagram for I END LIVES

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
An anti-tank mine, hotglued to the weight.

Batman doesn't slip.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Kratos is exactly the kind of dad you would need to survive in a place such as that and he plays his part well enough, so I'd say Good Dad.

In less glamorous games, Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't have pre-rendered cutscenes, which is cool so you can see all the neat clothes you've acquired through the game in the little vignettes and even cooler when Lara pulls a comically oversized pistol in a kind of serious moment

https://i.imgur.com/QVxCISE.mp4

I'd start running too if someone pointed fuckin Megatron at me

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

The Virgin Reboot: You get a grenade launcher

The Chad Rise of the Tomb Raider: You get a trebuchet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sxS-T7IEeE

And then you team up with your pal to take down a helicopter with it

https://i.imgur.com/QNISU8h.mp4

Well, I'm looking the gently caress forward to this, I just got the game when it went on sale a week or so ago. (Paused rn because I also got The Talos Principle)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I don't remember this episode of Battlestar Galactica

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Dual wielding lightguns as P1 and 2 is a rite of passage for any kid who's just been given more than a responsible number of quarters by their parent or guardian.

edit: Dual wielding plasma cutters in Dead Space: Extraction really made me yearn for those days! It's very effective!

There was this arcade shooter, Lucky and Wild, that was set up like a car chase. P1 had a steering wheel, pedals, and a pistol, P2 just had a pistol. So the pro move was to bring a friend, or your little brother, and have him go nuts with both pistols like chow yun fat while you drove.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This also works in real life, but you probably shouldn't

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're a person who runs around at night beating people up through the power of money. Technically I think that makes you Batman.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, an American ship.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

There is also a special ending for completing the game as Knuckles & Knuckles

It's like only one slide, but still.

Shame on you for not calling this "Knuckle Sandwich"

(caveat: I am not now nor have I ever been a Sonic guy and if "Knuckle Sandwich" is an idea that immediately creates a lot of anger and hard feelings ala The Orangoutan Story I wholeheartedly apologize)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Tangentially related, but if I were ever to make a video game I'd want it to be a romantic comedy fighting game. Just turn all the absurd conflicts from those movies into actual fistfights.

I'm gonna main the gay best friend. Boss character is the disapproving father.

The team that made La Mulana also made a flash game called Rose And Camellia, where you play a newly widowed woman who married into old money, and you progress by elegantly slapping the bejesus out of your haughty inlaws

There's also a sequel but I never played that

Phy has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Apr 25, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Ad-based games are hell on earth.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Life is an ad-based game, when you think about it.

Not seeing a contradiction here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sleeping Dogs has the plinking audible walk signal at street crossings

It fails to adequately convey how hot and sticky Hong Kong makes you if you're fresh from somewhere with a cool climate (like Wei coming back there from being in San Francisco)... but an air conditioner is the first apartment item I found

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goodog posted:

The reviewers, he says, are "slaves to the code" and not "slaves to the branding, products, or experience" as he would prefer, and they unfairly compare the game to better-received titles, such as Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

This reminded me that I hadn't played PoP in ages, and hey, the trilogy (and 2008) are on GOG. I wasn't even aware they'd had PC ports.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine you're playing an MMO with a four hour grind (Ignore the numbers, I'm not looking for perfect accuracy, just an example) for items and then once you finish it you get to a new town and find the things are so drat plentiful they might as well be growing on trees. People are using them for bricks and roof tiles, they're loving everywhere.

"dammit, I got loving hustled"

Fallout 1's plot initally hinged on the search for a water purifying chip to replace the broken one in your home vault. Fallout 2 had a vault where every single crate was crammed to the brim with them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

The one that made me giggle everytime I saw it

Can you also get four fried chickens and a coke?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So basically Spidey can go into a fight all limbered up and ready to throw down because he had fun on the way over

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Just Offscreen posted:

Tetris is horny as poo poo and you may quote me on this

Maybe not once, but after that story in the Awful Ex thread about the guy who could only cum to Korobeiniki

fe:

quote:

I briefly dated a virgin nerd in undergrad. He was sweet and very, very pretty but due to being horribly nerdy and having conservative helicopter parents hovering over him up until then, he never had a serious girlfriend. He wanted to have sex but was painfully anxious about it. His friends suggested all sorts of things to him to help relax.- smoke some pot, have a couple shots, etc. One suggested music and he liked that suggestion.

He put on the original Tetris theme. I laughed at the time and thought he was being funny to relieve some anxiety. Except as we continued fooling around, he didn't turn it off. It kept playing, on loop, the whole time. Honestly after a couple minutes I stopped noticing it....right up until I noticed he was thrusting in time with it. That song was never meant to have a backtrack of grunts.

Since it was so helpful the first time, he wanted to play it every time. We compromised, meaning he didn't get to play it every time like he wanted but I still had to hear it more often than I ever wanted. For those wondering, no, he couldn't thrust with rhythm without Tetris playing. No, he would not listen to other music.

Yes, I did break up with him over the loving Tetris music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCCQxVBfyM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

The final boss plane also deserves mention. It can only be damaged after dueling in three stages. The first two are feeling each other out by performing stunts and using ever more deadly weapons. The last is jousting at Mach 2 to a vibrant flamenco tune. Kurosawa in Civil War-era Spain with jets :jazzhands:

Zero was my first Ace Combat game, so I didn't notice it at the time, but jousting - flying head-on towards your opponent, trading missile fire, and dodging theirs while he or she explodes - works quite a bit better in AC0 than it does in any of the other Ace Combats I've played (and of course, in any actual simulator, where that kind of "tactic" is afaik tantamount to suicide.) Most of the time, if the enemy isn't a named ace, they'll waltz right into your missiles while you skate by - in other ACs they'll evade much like you.

The thrust of this is that by the time you're at the final phase of the final boss, you have likely spent quite a bit of game time training yourself to be comfortable with this particular, stylized, thematically-consistent attack, to the point where you're basically the worst guy in the world for the boss to be fighting.

Also, AC0 is full of references to Arthurian mythology - at one point the player destroys a superlaser installation called Excalibur, some aces have callsigns named after characters from the stories, you fight three times in a contested aerial battlefield called "The Round Table", the last mission occurs in the air over Avalon Dam. So recreating the imagery of two heavily armored knights squaring up and tilting at eachother fits right in (even if the joust and Arthur were separated by centuries, because nobody gives a poo poo about the timing of that sort of thing.)

Incidentally, you're not Arthur in the slightest. Your foes, the quasi-German Belkans (and their terrorist splinter group A World With No Boundaries), are the ones with the Arthurian legends. It's their superlaser, it's their aces, it's their dam. You are the guy who tears Excalibur from the ground, smashes the Round Table, burns Avalon, and spits on the ashes. Over the course of the game your enemies and allies begin to call you "The Demon Lord of the Round Table".

No, I don't know why they didn't go with Mordred.

Phy has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Aug 26, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can you play as a Canada goose?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Buddy if a canada goose comes at me honking aggressively I am not ashamed to roundhouse kick it until it learns its lesson. You live in Canada, you learn this well.

Edit: If you are a canada goose I will do the same I will not hesitate.

You are spare parts, aren'cha bud

Joey Freshwater posted:

You buttheads need to watch Letterkenny

https://youtu.be/MWQAJxQfayo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

you'd have to be a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive)

(sorry, I can only ever find this in demotivational format)