Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Am playing Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow and fairly late game you head into the flooded subterranean area. Get to the bottom of that and... You're in a classic Castlevania aesthetic Drac's castle and a great version of Vampire Killer is playing. Badass.

Plus you're by this point OP enough to chew through the old school vania enemies.

the DS castlevania's are pretty great, but Dawn of Sorrow is the best of 'em imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Little thing I just noticed in Hi-Fi Rush: There's a mission where you have to drain the budget of a maniacal video game R&D project leader, where you can see his funding drain in real time. At one point he gets so fed up with his programmers that he teleports them into the field to get blown up by lava, at which point his budget slightly goes back up from no longer having to pay their salary.

i kind of love it when games are topical.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they added this to the game because of an old video of an actual yakuza beating the poo poo out of someone with a bike

this was apparently according to my in-laws a thing the triads would do in Taipei too in like the 80s

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Street Fighter lore is weird.

wait till you try to piece together kof!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

neat?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Philippe posted:

Now, there's even a BOTW imitator! Immortals Fenyx Rising is fine basically.

eh, i thought it was pretty hokey and inferior

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the sidestories in Blasphemous, like the skeleton lore, they are a bit predictable but overall charming like the gravedigger who buried his entire village, and when it was time for him to die there was no one left to bury him. I also like the weird tortures that people are forced to undergo that they seem to have convinced themselves that they deserve (because they can't accept that things may just be being fucky and it may not have an actual divine plan), like the boy who has an old man's face in his chest that seems to be leeching the age from his real face so that he looks like a child, or the one person who has swords stuck into their torso that they use to upgrade your health.

blasphemous is literally Catholicism: the Game. like the sword lady is a pretty on-the-nose riff on mater dolorosa.

as someone who was raised in the church and lives in a place covered in medieval gothic churches, i highly appreciate the game's aesthetic.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

that is a choice, yessir.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The endings of CP2077 are all stellar, especially the really bad ending, listening to the voicemails during the ending credits.

see, the endings just didn’t really jive with me. i guess they’re faithful to source material and all, but the grimness felt a bit try-hard to me.

And then the whole thing with Jackie at the end of act 1…

still a blast to play and i loved the setting.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

cat school rules

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this is actually a pro strat irl, as well

heating up baby oil with a cantrip so I can call out the half-orc in the yard

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

flatluigi posted:

or at least don't have one that makes cultist simulator look like nonfiction in retrospect

fallen London/sunless sea’s lore was always more fun than actually playing the games, but yeah, not super surprising there.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Biplane posted:

Sunless skies is pretty dang good.

is it more fun to play than sunless sea or fallen london? because if so, i'm down. the settings are cool, like the weird cosmic horror bits, i just can't get behind the horrible web pay-to-play gank of fallen london, or the spreadsheet management of sunless sa.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bg3 sounds rad. anyone playing it on ps5? how’s the performance?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Veotax posted:

Not out yet, they bumped the PC release up a month to get out of the way of Starfield, which isn't a concern on the PS5. Also I assume they can't just change a PS5 release date like they can on Steam, I assume Sony might be more strict than Valve. That or the PS5 version wasn't ready enough to push up.

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't come out on PS5 until next month.

ah yeah, i just noticed it in the store and didn't actually see if it was released yet. boo. still probably for the best, since i have things i have to do this month.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

still just absolutely loling at the diet coke cans.

anyhow, not entirely sure how i feel about 2.0, but i am digging the "no longer loot 4 billion guns and disassemble them all to grind for points in crafting" mechanic.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

How is the combat anyway?

I really wanna play the game and even own it, but from what I saw in videos the combat seemed like a turn off to me. I just wanna deliver parcels in the terrible wastelands and build structure for people to use

you could just move to new mexico.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Philippe posted:

I've gotta say though, I think Cyberpunk did as good a job as they could with the boss fights. They all play pretty differently, and in a couple cases you can sneak up on them and give them a hug from behind.

seconded, the cyberpsycho fights are all pretty fun, imo.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i thought the driving is pretty decent post 2.0 update, even if the motorcycles are still way better than the cars. but i'm not super picky about driving in games anyhow.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

oh, i don't gently caress with computer gaming because i don't have time for that bullshit. driving is pretty fun on the ps5, maybe it's a porting thing?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the akira bike is pretty much the only thing you ever need, it rules.

i just wish you had a "tetsuoooooooo!" button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0lOTFRFAqQ

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

very risky blowjob posted:

i loved the driving when, like, it was literally so janky that the only way to turn without wiping out a sidewalk full of people was to drift

lol night city completely depopulated by a 16 year old taking their driver's license exam

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

normally call-backs and tie-ins to other games in a franchise are so ham-fisted that they're really grating, but like a dragon gaiden's been pretty consistently hitting the sweet spot of "lol,, no way, i remember that!" and "oh poo poo who is that blue haired granny in osaka? could it be?"

my big beef with the whole game is just that it's too drat short.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the trick is with the LAD games is that it more often makes sense to have callbacks and minor characters pop up again, because the whole premise of the games has always been very local; you're always coming back to the familiar streets of Kamurocho and other places, seeing them change a bit each time, in an almost episodic fashion. You can picture these characters running into each other again as they walk the same streets every day for years.

yeah, for sure. but there's also a ton of ways it could have read as forced and hokey and for the most part, the LAD has been good at not letting them become that.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s short for a modern Yakuza game, but tbh i found it refreshing that I could do nearly all the substories, the colosseum side story, and fight Amon in under forty hours. They should do Gaiden games more often imho, but maybe charge $45 for the next one.

i got it on sale for about that much so yeah, the value feels right. I’m just greedy and want more.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

it's originally from yakuza 6 as a post-completion song, which deals with kiryu/grandson dynamics a lot more. so yeah you're pretty much correct!

the general vibe is "wow you're growing up so fast! soon it will be you who gives their everything for someone else and leaves forever! but for now it's me! woo!" and, much like all of kiryu's songs, it's insanely depressing in context but extremely jaunty to listen to

me whenever the doctor tries to talk to me about my bloodwork:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

Random encounters only work when the game offers a kind of abstraction. Something that looks as real as FF7R would feel weird if you couldn't see the enemy. If it's just some little sprite on a world map, there's tons of stuff you don't see and don't expect to see. One imagines your little sprite travels many miles in just one tile, and thus could encounter an enemy during that trek.

or they just work because they always worked like that and it's part of the charm.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I liked 3 a lot thematically, but the gameplay was kind of rough imo. But tbh I just tossed it down to easy and enjoyed the parts I liked.

the combat in 3 is my big beef, but the setting and story are tons of fun.

mycot posted:

This is my favorite Y0 video, the editing is sublime. (very early spoilers I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejxklDwvGx0

thank you! i've been ltrying to find this one for ages and couldn't remember the title.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bawk posted:

What are you talking about, Kiryu has always been a fan of <POCKET_RACING>. Just ask his long-time friend, <FIGHTER>

I do love that it shows Kiryu in the Pocket Racing scene, 17 years ago, reliving the glory days. It's still him competing against three 10 year olds. Kiryu seems like the poster child of "You said not to go easy on the kids, so I showed them No Mercy"

lol big "uncle destroying his nephews and neices at SF" energy. whatup uncle jer? it's time for a rematch, bitch.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

more games should batshit like yakuza. like in a fun like a dragon way, not an annoying way

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVc4vWilfE sorry, its a suplex onto the guard rail and it looks like it loving hurts

there's also the one where you break a dude's coccyx by slamming them down on a railing. also the one in sotenbori where you do the same by throwing a guy off the bridge onto a boat.

the car door ones are always the ones that make me wince though.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hattie Masters posted:

I completely agree with you here, and it kinda makes me sad that LAD has decided to go all in on being a goofy dragon quest, because simply put we have a lot of great turn based RPGs from a lot of sources, but nobody else is doing Yakuza. I'm really glad they did Ishin! And Gaiden because as much as I like LAD, it's just not the same as hitting people with every single bike in Tokyo

yeah as much as i like lad, the brawler yakuzae > turn-based yakuzae

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Last I checked the Judgement games are gonna be the old school brawlers going forward. It is insanely hosed that Ichiban Kasuga has three unique jobs in LAD8 and not a single one has Essence of Bike Smash though. Almost as hosed up as Kiryu tripping balls and hallucinating, but not having a move where he hits them with the bike.

yeah but i hate the stealth portions of the judgement games

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

I want a heat action where you shove a dude in a cab and pay the cabbie to drive him to a different city. or if the travel to nara at any point, a heat action where you stuff a dude’s pockets full of deer crackers and the local deer harass the thug until he breaks down crying.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The deer pile onto the guy trying to get at the biscuits, kicking up a big dustpile obfuscating everything, and when the deer disperse, he's just gone.

lol but absolutely lmao because my wife bought a ton of deer senbei when we went to nara like 5 years ago and then was constantly chased by the deer while crying until i gave the crackers to other deer and kids who wanted to feed the deer.

it's like the most realistic heat action possible.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

just fight the deer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i feel like it is a missed opportunity that the yakuza series never went to nara.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UbWbPwonCM

Not quite the same thing, but close!

lol forgot about that one

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

gently caress johnny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys