Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

In Mercenaries, I always liked that if I needed a helicopter, I'd just bring out my sniper rifle, wait for one to fly by, and pick off the pilot. 50% of the time, the helicopter would crash but still be usable.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If we're also discussing games we want sequels to, Psi Ops was loving amazing. There was something very satisfying about being able to take control of an enemy soldier, kill all of his friends and then make him blow his own head off.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Evolve doesn't have a single player campaign, it's just multi-player with bots, so there's not really a story line.

However, during the game you'll get dialogue (most notably on the drop ship) that sometimes fills in the background details.

I'm currently working my way though tracker, and Maggie (the first tracker you can play as) apparently spent 2 years alone on the planet before being rescued, which is why she's so good at tracking, and I'm assuming also how she tamed Daisy, the dog like tracking monster she uses.

I haven't heard a ton of the other back stories, but I think it's pretty neat.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I wish evolve didn't have such a godawful DLC setup because I really enjoyed the beta and would have bought the full game if they hadn't announced the entire game's launch price again in DLC, and with all the skins and poo poo they have too I think the DLC adds up to more than $60 already.

My favorite conversation I heard in the beta was maggie, hank and lazarus talking about hank's cooking. "What, you didn't like the grilled canyon eel?"

I'll take it with a grain of salt, but they said the future maps will be free, the future hunters will be DLC but you won't have to buy them to have other people playing them. If that holds true, I'm okay with the setup, you won't lock people out of using the new maps like the COD games do.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was playing Mortal Kombat X's story mode last night. During the first Kotal Kahn (Mayan god looking guy) fight, I was able to grab an old lady that was walking by and use her to beat Kano.

Then I got an achievement for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AykIFHBuPMY&t=36s

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I think I've posted this before, but I always liked the Meat King level. I never even tried to get silent assassin on it, I just murdered everyone. It serves them right for celebrating someone getting away with killing a kid.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I picked up Far Cry 4 on sale last week and have been playing through it. I was treating it pretty much the same as Just Cause 2, as they are relatively similar in playing style, but the wild life really throws a wrench into everything.

I usually use stealth as much as possible, so I was taking out one of the enemy outposts. While scouting it, a loving honey badger tore my poo poo up. Then it happened again the next time I tried it too. It definitely makes the game more unpredictable.

Edit: Would going to Far Cry 3 from 4 be a giant step backwards (like going from rear end creed 2 to 1), or are they pretty much similar? I wouldn't mind giving that one a try after if it's good.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

effervescible posted:

I was about to do a Far Cry 4 post myself and same, basically. The wildlife makes running around super fun, in or out of missions.

The other day, I was heading to a mission start point and saw a randomly spawning hostage situation. Took out the guard with a sniper rifle headshot, only for the hostage to be immediately mauled by a random tiger. I shrugged, trotted back to my car and got attacked by some Royal Army guys before I could leave—only for a rhinocerous to attack and stomp the poo poo out of them. (And then it turned on me, but I just drove off.) The game wouldn't be half as fun if the animals didn't make the setting so dynamic.
I was golfing in real life the other day and kept noticing the hawks that were circling. I was wondering why I was being wary of them then remembered how much the Far Cry eagles have torn my poo poo up.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've been playing Red Dead II and ran into the Klan. I'm not sure if I gave up a quest or anything, but I just tossed a stick of dynamite into the middle of the group and killed the survivors and didn't take a negative hit at all.

Then I went to St. Denis and shot the guy spouting on about eugenics and racial mixing in the face, and no one cared about that guy either.

This is a game that charged me with assault when I accidentally collided into someone with a horse, so it amuses me to no end that I can kill racists without consequence.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Every now and then I pick up Forza Horizon 4 just to drive around Scotland at 250mph, but I noticed something small yesterday that fits this thread.

When you drive through the tunnels on the highway, the radio cuts out because your car can no longer get a signal.
It also has the benefit of hearing the engines screaming echoing back at you which is the best thing in the world.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Sep 26, 2019

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

nine-gear crow posted:

Somewhere around the mid-point of Prototype I realized that despite all the cool and insane poo poo you could do in it, I just wasn't having fun anymore more and it had turned into a grueling slog. I love the idea of Prototype, but a lot of its minigames were crap. That's not to say I didn't like the game, I just lost patience with it after a while.

I don't think I ever finished Prototype, but on the other hand I still fondly remember the thermobaric tank mission.
That thing was loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfvSGN7pmGE

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do you feel about Ted Faro?
gently caress Ted Faro.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, 15 minute unskippable cutscenes with timed quicktime events.

I’m still mad that I missed the qte to bro-hug DaVinci and left him hanging. He looked so bummed.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

It’s not technically a little thing, but they just added return to castle wolfenstein on Xbox game pass and holy poo poo its amazing. It’s the first online fps I really got into, and the planetwolfenstein forums are what led me to these forums 19 years ago.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CJacobs posted:

It really is just a fun game where the fun is earnest in every respect from the voice acting to the soundtrack choices to unbelievable accessibility options. Everyone in forza horizon 5 is having a real good time including clearly the people who made the thing. it reflects the sheer number of man hours that goes into making a game with like 600 cars from electric F1s to your mom's soccer van really well. And how you can come out the other side of developing something so fatiguing having had a good time, just based on the quality and depth of some of the references. The film side plot for example is stuffed with references to films and directors, strictly not cars, and that's just not something you would see in a game where that stuff is saccharine. Nothing but praise for FH5's genuine nature.

The voice acting was pretty mal at first but then they made it muy bueno with one of the newer updates.

(for those that didn't play, it takes place in Mexico and they would just have the voice actors drop one Spanish word into a sentence, it kind of stuck out like a sore thumb.)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You're both wrong, it's about male circumcision.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Philippe posted:

AC Origins has an outfit that's almost as good: a towel wrapped around Bayek's waist. If you put your hood up, there's a towel on his head as well.

Ghost of Tsushima lets you have a towel and a basket on your head.
Edit: I forgot you could also have the Col Sanders mustache hanging out too.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just beat God of War 2 on ps2. I loved the ending with Kratos bringing the titans to the future from before they were bound and leading them up Olympus, with "The End Begins..." as the finale title card. That was a cool idea.

There's a quick reference to that in the new God of War.
You're having a conversation with another character, and Mimir, your severed head friend.

Ragnarock Spoilers:

Freya starts talking about if she could go back in time and change something.
Kratos: It is not wise to interfere with the timeline, it would not end well
Mimir: You're not speaking hypothetically, are you?
Kratos: No

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is a super simple thing I’ve noticed but in GoW:R, your companion generally heads towards the next place you need to go. Sometimes they will point out an obvious puzzle but if you end up not catching a hit or something, just seeing where they are standing might give you a hint.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm pretty sure it's the same Prince of Persia game that if you die, he says "Wait a minute, that's not what happened" because the framing of the game is you're playing the story he's telling to someone at the end of the game.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

credburn posted:

Black Flag has a weird reveal where the girl you spend much of the game with is revealed to be a woman??. It's not that well hidden :confused:

I mean I don't mean to like, gender folks on archtypes. It's just... it was real weirdly obvious? Eh

It's been a while since I played Black Flag, but I'm pretty sure that was based on real events.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Read

quote:

Read was born in England in 1685. She began dressing as a boy at a young age, at first at her mother's urging in order to receive inheritance money and then as a teenager in order to join the British military. She then married and upon her husband's death moved to the West Indies around 1715. In 1720, she met Jack Rackham and joined his crew, dressing as a man alongside Anne Bonny.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Jul 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm still bummed that I missed the "Give Leonardo a hug" quick time event. He looked so disappointed.