Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Defenestration posted:

Since you mentioned it, let's take a moment to enjoy some Hunter S Thompson
Is it wrong that F&LILV is probably one of my favorite books? Dostoevsky? Miller? Joyce? gently caress that, give me drug- and alcohol-fueled indictments of our whole modern society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

R. Mute posted:

i've never heard of her but it does lead me to the following question: do people actually consider saturday night live to be funny? i mean, i've only seen clips, but it always seems like they have a bland joke and then stretch that joke into a ten minute sketch.
With SNL, the older the better. 70's had Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, Gilda Radner. 80's had Eddie Murphy, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers. You'll notice that people from the 80's are no longer funny :( 90's and onward is more bad than good IMO.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chantilly Say posted:

Dan Ackroyd isn't that funny anymore either. Remember his rant in Blues Brothers 2000--it's okay if you don't--where he goes off for a few minutes about how kids these days all listen to rap and hip-hop and that's not real music?
I never saw BB2000. Some things just shouldn't happen. I agree Ackroyd has gone off the rails a bit, but I would put good money up that if you sat him and Mike Meyers down Ackroyd could probably out-funny him since Meyers's schtick is now mostly relegated to doing stupid accents.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

euphronius posted:

Well that and also all of the great plains were turned into farms.

There are sill buffalo herds though on federal land I believe.
There's a managed buffalo herd not far from me on Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake. Because they're on a goddamn island the herd is very pure DNA-wise so they will round them up once a year and pull a few out to be sent to other herds and ship some in so they don't all become :downs: inbred. You can sign up to ride in the roundup if you like that cowboy thing and own or can borrow a horse.

Also my great uncle used to have a herd and we got buffalo steaks and ground buffalo. He used to because he's dead now and I don't think he can keep up very well.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
"Belgium waffles"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Quick name one thing about Belgium.
Lambics. Tasty poo poo.

e: also Belgian draft horses

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
We are also forgetting Hercule Poirot and http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3207754

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Heh, you lost me at 'Nancy Fagg'. :allears:
Next time someone needs a drag queen name I know what to suggest!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

XyloJW posted:

How can a train be quiet? Shouldn't it be perpetually blaring its horn and squealing its poorly lubricated wheels along the rusted tracks?
I live pretty close (maybe half a mile) from railroad tracks and find the sound somewhat soothing at night. Well, as long as it's the HOOOOOONK HOOOONK and then silence. Sometimes you get a real turd who lays on it like HOO HOO HOOONK HOOONK HOONK HOOO HOO- shut the gently caress up already! The wheels don't squeal, they make kind of a rumbling clackety sound. I don't even notice it most of the time.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

I just spent the weekend in the desert and I do not understand why people live there willingly.

It was 95-105 all day and my throat has closed up because I'm not used to sucking in that much freon from central AC.
"It's a dry heat" never made much sense to me since I grew up in SLC, which is technically a desert. Then I went to Missouri and Georgia and said "gently caress this poo poo." At least when your humidity hovers around 15% sweat actually evaporates.

Also swamp coolers work fantastically out here. You don't need no stinking freon, just some water and BAM you have air conditioning.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kelvron posted:

Pics as requested. (Phone posting so just a gallery link for now. I'll fix it later.)

http://imgur.com/a/gETqg

The invitation memento to Kit Bond's Inauguration and Ball is on a hefty slab of marble.

Will the 'Lincoln' poster be taking us to a gay bar afterwards?
Well you should be able to sell that Reagan thing to an idiot for a lot of money. I think you should mail the 1996 convention one to Bob Dole with a note saying you're sorry his party turned into a bunch of fucksticks who think handicapped access equals Agenda 21.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I ALSO HATE WHEAT BEER.

You know what I like? Mexican beer. A nice Sol or Pacifico or Negro Modelo with a lime is perfect.
I live in a minority-heavy area and as such I can always find Mexican beer on sale. Mexican beer is the best hot weather beer.

e:

StandardVC10 posted:

I don't drink at all. I just hate the taste of alcohol.
Have you tried butt chugging?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 18, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Pearl is what LBJ drank when he drove his amphibious car around his ranch.

He used to invite people over, not tell them it was an amphibious car, and then pretend the brakes were failing and drive into the lake.
Got to love that guy.

Cheap beer for me is either PBR or Olympia. Why yes, I would like a 12 pack for $6.99!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Talmonis posted:

Suddenly I had the image of one family of non-mormons in a Utah neighborhood being completely surrounded by hundreds of squeaky clean white men in black slacks, white button down shirts and black ties, all yammering over each other asking if they can talk to them about Joseph Smith.
I live in Salt Lake, it only sort of works like that. Missionaries are assigned to specific areas/neighborhoods, so you may get a pair of them but it won't be every missionary for miles around. I also find the concept of missionaries in SLC rather funny, because you've certainly heard of the Mormons living there, and if you were actually interested in joining you can't swing a dead cat around without hitting a church so it's not like they need to go door to door. Also they don't send locals on missions here, they are all imported from other places.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It was either Empire Strikes Back or Some Like it Hot, I can't quite remember. Put a date on that! I could be 17! I could be 70!
Mine was Snow White, so that really fucks up the math.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Majorian posted:

Don't forget about "K-9," that masterpiece starring Jim Belushi.

Actually, it's probably best if you forget about that one. Or anything with Jim Belushi.
No, Trading Places is awesome :colbert: (it also has Al Franken as a drunk baggage handler!)

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Majorian posted:

That was Dan Akroyd, not Jim Belushi.:eng101: And yes, I love that movie.
Jim Belushi was the guy in the ape suit who gets knocked out on the train :eng101:

e: "Monkey?! I'm a gorilla you clown!"

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I will make no comments on the quality of The Walking Dead but tactical realism is the sole arbiter of criticism in the TVIV thread about it, making it by far the dumbest thread on the forums and yes I'm aware Let's Play exists.
Hey, LP is useful if you want to see whether or not you'd like a certain game. I wouldn't use a TWD thread to decide whether or not to buy a specific shotgun.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

Corvids are bad rear end
I have a fairly large murder in my neighborhood and they're great. Although sometimes they like to perch in my walnut tree right outside my bedroom window and scream for awhile in the morning, that's bad when I have a hangover or just want to sleep. I think it's because they want me to give them peanuts (I'll buy a giant bag of unshelled peanuts from Costco for the crows from time to time). :3:

Raptors are also badass. The only reason falconry works is because they're smart enough to realize that they eat better when kept, but every so often one will decide "gently caress this" and just fly away. They're never actually tamed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

They think they spend it on drugs, smokes, alcohol and lottery tickets.
All of which are either heavily taxed or go directly to the government, so really it's just like recycling!

TBH if I got money for doing nothing I'd spend it on booze and videogames (we don't have a lottery).

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Berke Negri posted:

Speaking of fat chat I just ate a huge Philly steak pita wrap and a basket of fries for lunch. I think I'm dying. Please shame away the pounds for me goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yGgBv5sOYM

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Well, to be fair it says right there it's a first draft...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thank you. This is what pops into my head everytime someone mentions ketchup on hot dogs.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

*sits on ski lift*
High-speed quad lifts are nothing to sneer at. They'll get you from base to top-of-mountain in a couple of minutes. Plus they give you time to take nips from your flask.

I live in a major skiing market and never went until I was like 32. Plus I learned to snowboard which is loving easy. If you can drive stick you can learn to snowboard in about 2 minutes. Winter sports are awesome, yo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

This is the world the year I was born.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtB5TPgAXW8

I literally existed at the same time as this commercial was on tv.
I remember that commercial. :corsair:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

The situation where a dude is raped then forced to pay child support has more to do with making sure the kid has, well, support than as a way of punishment, at least in theory. Of course, it's still lovely and the only way I can see avoiding that is some kind of minimum income.
I work for child support. Not aware of this particular situation occurring, but there would be ways around it. If there was a court case and conviction, then the rapist would (hopefully) be sent to jail. Then the mother would not have custody while incarcerated and not legally be entitled to receive support. If a relative or the mother applied for support or public assistance the father could ask the case be closed for what we refer to as "administrative good cause." The custodian could still get cash from the state so the child is supported but we wouldn't go after dad for it.

Now if there was no court case it would be more difficult. Theoretically he could still ask for good cause, and get it granted if he could get a protective order against the woman. But since our justice system is so lovely for rape victims of either gender that might not happen :smith:

My Imaginary GF posted:

The appropriate response isn't to say "shutup its not an issue," its to acknowledge the concern and put in place adequate protections for victims of all rape.
Yeah, basically this. Rape is awful and the system is biased against victims regardless of gender.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

HUGE missed opportunity in that survey to collect hat and beard style preferences.

Hat
[ ]Trillby
[ ]Other

Beard
[ ]Neck
[ ]Other

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Another Hillary hat photo, from Halloween in the White House, 1995.

There's a really terrible joke I want to make here but I can't bring myself to do it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

"Saturday we were in South Carolina, then Sunday we high tailed it to New Hampshire, and then.... can't remember where we were next to tell you the truth." ~ Rick Perry on the last three places he'd been.
Oops.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know what the operating budget of UPS is vs. INS's budget? I'm willing to guess UPS's is a lot bigger.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I mean I get that it's probably selection bias. If 10% of gay men wore a big red feather on their heads then you'd notice them more and you'd say, hmm all gay people wear red feathers, but it's just you aren't noticing the 90% of gay men that don't wear a feather. Of my roommates, you'd only guess one was gay if you met them both, but for those who affect the "stereotypical gay" persona, again, what's up with that?
I'm a lesbian so I can't definitively speak for all my homo brothers, but in some cases that's just how they are. Sometimes it's exaggerated for effect. Like maybe you're a little bit swishy and then push it to full combustion so there's no mistaking the gayness. And yeah, you probably notice it more because acting like anything other than what we define as "a man" is going to stand out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Well my question for you is what's up with ultra butch lesbians who try to emulate every societal marker for "masculinity".
Rejection of societal roles? Gender nonconformity? Pantyhose are an abomination and should never be worn by anyone?

Seriously, probably a lot of the same. Like, I don't find most women's clothing or makeup appealing in the slightest. I refuse to wear dresses. I like traditionally masculine things (sports, cars, videogames, etc) but I don't consciously think about my preferences in the context of smashing the patriarchy or whatever. I like what I like, these things just happen to be what we consider masculine tastes. Also in cases of the extremely butch where the worst aspects of traditional masculinity are being aped, I think it may be a case of societal conditioning where "femininity" is considered to be inferior and bad and that message has been internalized.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
They do this bullshit with alcohol too. Did you have 2 drinks at dinner, then get T-boned by someone texting on your way home? Congratulations! Your accident is now "alcohol-related."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wine chat: I'll go with a pinot from one of the local wineries. We're all a bunch of late 20 something's trying to be more classy than Busch gold tops on a Friday night. Few people going will know their wines and see through my gaming but oh well. Worst part will be me as like the only unmarried one there. Ugh.

Also gently caress Butch Otter for appealing the 9ths decision and loving over gay marriage again.
Wait, are you in Idaho? If so pick up a couple bottles of Ste. Chapelle Riesling special harvest. The 20-something unsophisticated palates will love it.

e: I like it too, but it's pretty much a dessert wine

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

Ste Chapelle is literally down the road from my house.
Well, now you know what you must do. Realchat, SC sells some decent wine and being next door to y'all makes it easy to get and relatively cheap here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

No, but it is a photo that probably shouldn't have been taken.
Especially after the whole "poor children should work as janitors to pay for their school lunches" thing.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Oh my god.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I know the report says the video ended up not existing but I really want it to show up

or they should release the photos of a bloodied Todd and Track
I do find it hard to believe in this day and age someone didn't have a smartphone capable of shooting video. Maybe the Palins paid some people off, or maybe they're making a deal with TMZ or something :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
As someone whose knowledge of Russian history and politics comes from a public school education (so fuckall), can someone explain to me what the gently caress is wrong with Russia? Why is it perpetually hosed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RuanGacho posted:

I'm not sure why we would stop at annexing Canada if we were going to annex things. Really it's the only way we're going to reach one world government. I can't decide if it's accelerationism to want Germany, the US, France and all of eastern Europe all in the same legislature though.
Could we pick up South Korea? Because I'd love to see someone smack the poo poo out of McConnell with a shoe.

• Locked thread