Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
joining a dragon heist game and playing a bard, I gotta think of an interesting character concept but I'm stumped. ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Spikes32 posted:

You can make anything go viral

I'll make a character who only speaks in memes. everyone at the table will love it

he also rolls to seduce everything

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

koreban posted:

Yuan-ti pureblood, criminal (spy) or charlatan, trying to start a cult to Dendar the Night Serpent.

Convert rubes, collect tithes, sacrifice things. Use the adventurers to increase your power and notoriety. Eventually join Lords Alliance and twist the future of water deep to your ends.

I feel like there's something here with like, a snake people control the government type conspiracy theory. except I am the snake people? I can't quite put it together, but I'm not sure I just want to be an outright evil cultist

maybe I can get the DM to let me transform into a yuan-ti malison if I do a ritual for it, that'd be sick

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the yuan-ti are definitely a sex cult. when you live in a lovely pyramid and have no emotions boning is all you have

koreban posted:

One of the Yuan Ti personality choices is “I want to consume a yuan-ti more powerful than myself” and that’s just the best thing ever.

holy poo poo

that's something I can work with, prove myself to the other yuan-ti so I can get promoted and get a sickass snake bod

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kingcom posted:

Given you are playing a Waterdeep game House Sulthlue is a snake god worshipping evil house with a bunch of yuan-ti/yuan-ti blooded people in it. So that might fit to your wheelhouse without actually being a full evil cultist, you're just part of a house playing the big political conspiracy game along with the rest, just a bit more cutthroat about it.

I can't find anything about that house online

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tzirean posted:

So I'm having a problem with my campaign: my party is one session away from level 8, and I know what I want to do for their last session before level 10, but that leaves me with a gap of four sessions or so before I get there, and... I got nothing.

They're traveling to a city to try to restore a deposed monarch, so I have two things in mind:

1) A short overland adventure that I can tie into the overarching plot (cult-y Far Realm poo poo).
2) A jaunt into the Feywild to help the warlock's patron (the Queen of Air and Darkness has proposed a temporary full truce with the Seelie court because the Unseelie court is too busy fighting off the Far Realm themselves).

Are there any premade modules that would cover either of these above? Even a good 4e module that I could steal the points from and sub in monsters for?

any character stories you can use for some questing?

maybe just toss them into a different plane for a while or something

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tzirean posted:

That's what I'm going for, but I'm really bad at putting together encounters in an open, anything-goes kind of layout (like traveling or being in the Feywild) vs. a more linear dungeon-esque layout, where there might be multiple paths but there's an entrance, an end and a direction of travel.

Make a big map, put some terrain and a couple important things on it, let the PCs travel.

I had my PCs travel the ruins of an underground underdark city (at 1sq=120ft scale) this session and set up these:

-A couple combat encounters. Not random encounters that you roll on a table for, but stuff that actually makes sense given the plot (PCs fought a zombie horde that was interrupted halfway through by the appearance of a bulette)
-10-ish small encounters to establish the tone of the place (PCs found a dismembered zombie lying in the ruins and groaning at them)
-A couple things that allude to the plot of this place (PCs saw a cloaked, masked figure in the distance who ran away from them)

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 4, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farg posted:

We are having a Halloween themed 14th level one shot. What's the most broken stupid bullshit build there is? The dumber the better

be wizard

use magic circle, infernal calling (level 8 spell slot), and planar binding (level 7 spell slot) to bind a bone devil to your service (not skeletons but close enough)

repeat 29 more times

have 30 bone devils doing your bidding at all times

your character stays at home watching wizard tv while the bone devils fight for the party

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlphaDog posted:

I think you have to settle for chain devils.

Unless I missed a way to get a level 8 slot at level 14?

Maybe even lower since you gotta do the calling and binding sequentially, unless you can get 2 level 7 slots somehow?

ah poo poo that's right

I'm racking my brain here. something with a bag of devouring maybe? you could also get a potion of cloud giant strength for something

Conspiratiorist posted:

It doesn't work anyway because the Infernal Calling summon disappears before the hour required for Planar Binding.

both last an hour, unless you want to be really pedantic and say it disappears 6 seconds before

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 5, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Conspiratiorist posted:

And you drop concentration the moment you start casting a spell longer than one action, like Planar Binding.

fairly sure that's not a thing, or else it would be a concentration spell

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magil Zeal posted:

That's what I see in the SRD under "Longer Casting Times", the quote is "When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so." Incidentally using the Ready action to ready casting a spell also uses Concentration.

oh, they just put that somewhere else in the book instead of under the goddamn concentration section. thanks wizards

whatever just use a simulacrum or another person

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Methwood

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Monster Cooking Rules second draft

Thoughts?

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 11, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lightrook posted:

This is funny and slightly uncomfortable and too impactful to not turn your campaign into Toriko/Dungeon Meshi, which may or may not be a good thing for you. Four burgers ground from sentient beings out of five.

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to turn a campaign into Dungeon Meshi

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh nice.

Is there a directory of Dragon+ stuff somewhere?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well there is the site itself. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/articles/106375

But I don't know of a thing that lists all the actual extra material. I do remember a few extra things fromm it however. Like Belaphoss, The Sword Fedifensor and Vlaakith the Lich Queen.

The Original Magazine entry Fedifensor came from http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor.pdf
And the Sword Updated for 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_Fedifensor2.pdf

Vlaakith the Lich Queen 5e http://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/dragon/19/DRA19_LichQueen2.pdf

Belaphoss https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/Demonomicon%20of%20Iggwilv%20-%20Belaphoss.pdf

These are just the ones I remember.

Ooh, might use the Vlaakith one. Thx

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xelkelvos posted:

https://dndsports.tv/news/what-is-dndsports/

From what I can ascertain, it's literally going to be a tactical PvP game using Pre-gens and run off of 5th edition. As opposed to, say, building a system from the ground up for this, they're just using a preexisting one and forcing it to fit. It's basically Krossmaster Arena, but with DnD

so basically the hasbro execs finally noticed dnd and decided to gently caress it up with capitalist incompetence

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Announcer: I'VE NEVER SEEN SUCH A NAT 20 IN MY LIFE *crowd goes wild*

Maybe it'll just be scripted

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quidthulhu posted:

Why would anyone play this over, say, Frostgrave, or any other small team based skirmish miniatures game that were actually designed for that type of play? I’m so confused.

I promise you their logic went no further than "d&d is popular, esports are popular, therefore d&d esports will be very popular"

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I played competitive d&d one time. I was one-shot on the first round with guiding bolt. The game went on another 16 rounds while my teammate tried to not die. We lost.

what

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dregs posted:

I've been playing D&D since the 90's but I never tried or read anything Planescape related. What's the best way to learn about the setting? Honestly what little I know of it is mixed up with Spelljammer. I tthought they were the same thing for the longest time.

you can get pdfs of all the planescape books if you know where to look.

there's ~50 books which seems overwhelming, but planescape is very pick-and-choose, moreso than other settings. if you're interested in, say, the elemental planes, you can just open the book about those, pick out whatever poo poo looks cool, and completely ignore everything else

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I mean if you want to pay like $500 for all the books

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Opening
Navigation
Persuasion
Consolation

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glagha posted:

Okay has anyone in history ever actually PLAYED Eoris?

played? god no, but I did read the corebook and it was exactly how you'd think it was. baffling game mechanics and asinine worldbuilding.

the main thing I remember is that there were rules for "emotional combat" which worked the same as the physical combat rules. so you could stab someone with whatever they call a sword in eoris, or you could insult their mother for equivalent emotional damage

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SettingSun posted:

This is one of those times were I definitely thought Wizards was behind this thanks to the name so I definitely think they told them to quit it and name it something else.

they announced a "d&d mtg crossover esport" or some nonsense a while back. idr but I thought it was this

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what's the point of AL again

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toshimo posted:

Assuming this is a good faith question, AL is supposed to provide a way for players to play in a drop-in capacity, whether you don't have a regular playgroup, or you have an inconvenient schedule, or you want to try new things. It's intended to give all players a standard play experience and keep characters in correct power bands so that you can take your dude to any AL game, whether convention, LGS, or kitchen table and have a somewhat balanced and consistent experience.

okay but why do this as opposed to just like. the dm says "make a level 3 character" and then you make a level 3 character to play

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mormonpartyboat posted:

a really big goose

100 goose-sized dragons

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
two dragons

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's just the lovely rules for ships in the DMG but with seige weapons plopped on and more complexity added

DM: it's your turn, what do you do? here are your options
>shoot cannon
>don't shoot cannon

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
best strat is to roll your stats and then complain about your low rolls so the DM lets you have higher ones

I got an 18 and two 17s the other day with this technique

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toplowtech posted:

Nope, it's mostly playable races and they are classed by playable classes and archetypes, they are retainers aka your minions/lieutenants. They are decently competent but not pc level: they are always lower level than you, gain one level for every 2 you gain and they start at level 3 and cap at level 7. At best they have 3 tiers of feats/powers/spells/attacks (at 3/5/7 level). Their special hp system make them quite reliable without making them too hard to kill. They are far more easier to manage/level and more focused than the ones in the UA who are too pc like for my taste. It wouldn't be hard to make beasts for your ranger with those rules honestly.

I'm not too sold on the HP rules, the rationale for them is "math is hard!", but I don't find extremely basic subtraction very time-consuming. Should I use the weird HP rules anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So what's going to be the place to talk 5e when this thread is shut down. Dm advice thread?

Ideally, nowhere