Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I still think the killing via gun in game is just a red herring and it's a two man crew. One doing the theatrics ingame and the other doing something outside of the game. The guy shoots a TV screen not the physical avatar, totally something outside of the game. Probably because they are "pro" they are easily tracked in real life and the crew figures out when the guy is going to be alone playing the game and gets a syringe of special medicine x to gently caress their heart up. Even more likely it's probably one of those red guilds from the first game that never got any resolution. We got introduced to that Laughing Skull guild and nothing ever came of it, gently caress the leader even had a name attached to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Lion posted:

You took the bait, that guy clearly just wiki'd everything and posted untagged spoilers pretending to be speculation. Try to avoid responding to that stuff I guess

Actually I haven't looked into anything for SAO but it appears I'm right based on the replies. But look at the facts we've been presented so far.
1) The hardware has been modified to disallow killing, this is confirmed by our mary sue protagonist and other people like that investigator.

2) We got introduced to a group that loves to kill in the SAO arc. There is the investigation that introduces Kirito and Asuna then We get the failed assassination on Kirito that was stopped by Asuna and then nothing, no response or even contemplation about the group afterwards.
3) The group we got introduced to had people in players who were in the raid group, they were top shelf players and killers. Not some lowbie gank squad like that one woman's crew. People like that float to the top in any game, they go out of their way to learn mechanics and strange poo poo they can exploit.

It has to be related to Kirito somehow because he is the mary sue and everything revolves around him.

Watch some loving Murder She Wrote man, get good at solving mysteries.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
From experience playing MMO that had actual item loot (EQ's Tallon Zek back before patched out and Eve-Online later on) I know for a fact that any poo poo they'll get from Pking is poo poo not worth looting. Nobody goes out dressed to the hilt. The only time this it ever happens is when it's in a super safe environment, like a raid with 40 friends in equal gear status who are super vigilant or the player is so stupidly rich he doesn't give two shits if he dies a hundred times wearing expensive stuff. Popping random dolts wandering around usually yields jack poo poo. I'd go 6 months in EVE before I'd die in a rather expensive ship and never break even though I looted 100s of players in that timeframe.

PvP is always a lie :(

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thunk posted:

No, he saw the red indicator line and dodged that. That's why Shinon wanted to take him out first; a sniper rifle doesn't produce a red line if it's fired from stealth.

He means the second time when she blew off his glasses. He dodged that at the literal last second. She only managed to beat him since apparently he couldn't aim the minigun vertically or some poo poo.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xoidanor posted:

The logistics of aiming something as heavy and huge as a mini-gun vertically are kinda insane. :v:

Yeah but this isn't real life, the game uses statistics and something that would be heavy as poo poo to us would presumably be featherlight to someone who funneled all points into strength.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't most MMO players know about Kirito by this point? Wasn't the SAO thing like a major news event and something most gamers and would be aware about?

Edit: Totally called the Laughing Coffin poo poo. I suppose this is the leader of the guild? Interesting how he managed to sneak up on a guy who could hear a dude combat crawling like 50 yards away. I suppose he has a silent walking skill from SAO?

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 4, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

I thought about that, and my current theory is that Death Gun is a group alt for a bunch of Laughing Coffin survivors who feel the urge to keep killing people. So Friend Zone could be one of the guys who plays as Death Gun, he just didn't happen to be the one in charge at that exact moment.

I think it being a group alt is a tad bit overkill. I'd expect it to be a duo of one ingame guy and one out of game murderer both from SAO. We've already seen that people like Sinon and Klein are seemingly living alone and totally exposed to outside forces without any means of fighting back or getting their pizza. The Deathgun guy didn't even hit the bragging guy with his bullet to kill him, he shot a loving TV. It HAS to be outside the game somehow. They made a big deal about the entry into the tourney requiring real life information as well so more than likely this Death Gun guy is sitting there with binoculars scoping that poo poo out as it's entered. Kirito being safe from it because he didn't enter his poo poo. Whether or not this SAO survivor has gone all Charles Manson and made a cult that includes this friend zoned guy remains to be seen.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There are a lot of Catholics(or Orthodox I guess) in Japan? Why would a Japanese gamer do the sign of the cross ever? I know goth kids wear crosses and poo poo to be edgy but crossing yourself isn't exactly a natural thing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

That's actually what Japan use for their date format. Signing up for a lot of online services usually throw the mm/dd/yy format at me when asking for a DOB. Then again, SAO is set in the future so maybe the world's sorted out all that 'different for the sake of being different' poo poo between countries.

Phahaha like America would ever surrender to those metric using pansies.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is what I understood as well. They think Death Gun pulled the same stunt Kirito did (hiding underwater), while in reality he can go invisible to even the radar at will. This is likely not something anyone can normally do in-game (just like killing people from a video game), so they did not expect it, nor could plan around it.

I can see Kirito not knowing about invisibility but Sinon is a veteran who knows shitloads about the itemization within the game. She recognized his rare as poo poo Sniper Rifle but not a overpowered invisibility cloak?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Zettace posted:

At the start of this season they made it clear that your stats mattered. Then again it just could be that kid bitching about how it's the game's fault, he's bad.

Yeah the first dude we saw get killed for real was bragging about how he tricked every gump in the game to allocate their stats incorrectly.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

I guess you could go back to the old excuse of vrmmo's being rather new still, so that the actual game systems are all still very poorly developed. That only lasts for so long, though.

Hah MMO still have god awful systems as do regular video game RPG. Bad decision making never goes away.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just started a rewatch of season one since I kinda forgot who these Laughing Coffin people were. We see Death Gun nearly attack the people during the arc when Kirito and Asuna investigate the town killings. When those two people trick their friend into coming out to the tombstone they get interdicted by some Laughing Coffin members. One of them has that whole skeleton motif going that Death Gun has. Though no name was ever provided I'm pretty certain it was him.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Deathgun guy just really good at fencing without the Sword Skills and Kirito just a subpar swordsman when not chaining the Sword Skills? Because Kirito was getting loving lit up something fierce. Doing sword combat against real people must be way more difficult than the predictable poo poo from NPC that Kirito was doing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dervyn posted:

Only seen the anime so what's PvP gear in SAO? I know in GGO the division is solid ammo (pvp) and energy beam (pve).

Didn't she say that energy beam was chosen for PvE because it was unlimited ammo? I mean you watch her in the one scene shooting some raid boss in the dome but what happens when she runs out of ammo? The division is player preference for the task at hand more than likely.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

For the sake of roleplaying, no less. The idea of raiding while dealing with a roleplayer makes my skin crawl and I haven't played a mmo in years.

Roleplayers are the best to hang out with because you never know what strange poo poo they're going to spout next. Love those loving guys.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't the same technology that interdicts brainwaves also allow stuff like mechanical limbs for amputees and paralyzed people? Or is it just only functional when the person is asleep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

Something like that happened in WoW too.

Only they held it in a PVP zone (because it was the dead person's favorite zone) and posted about it beforehand on the forums, so a massive guild rolled up and destroyed them all. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewP1zfm_Yqg

If I recall the event properly the person didn't actually die either and it was all for attention.

• Locked thread