Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

can someone, anyone, please loving tell me how to bind an MBP to an AD domain so the password will work for 30 days not connected to the hardwire network

please for the love of god

getting a mac server to run directory services is your only option, no AD features on osx/linux other than normal binding because MS is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

api call girl posted:

er isn't that just the checkbox for 'create mobile account'

or does that not last 30 whole days

thats an apple directory services feature for an osx client in an osx domain. the question is how to get the same thing to work for osx in a windows environment and the answer get MS to work on openldap

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

api call girl posted:

what i'm saying is

if i flick that checkbox on our mac build

it caches that user's login credentials like you would expect a windows laptop to do by default on our ms domain

that's how we preconfigure our mbps for the handful of people that have them

we don't have an os x server on this side of the firewall

yeah, you're right, i had thought that it never worked right if you didn't have an apple directory or openldap/other ldapv3 server

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

active directory is ldap

i figured you'd be a novell fan, what with their love of java and everything

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cached credentials never expire apparently, goes for windows ad and ldap

so... idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all the academics are using linpack based software that hasn't changed significantly since the mid 80s so a unix system is perfect

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well i guess they've probably moved onto lapack these days. it now includes fortran90 support!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guarantee they all used grant money to buy a copy of vmware fusion or parallels and (likely illegally) installed their university's site license copy of windows 7 on their macs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's the other thing. they break random things every point release so you never ever upgrade unless theres a feature you want and you've gone through a month of regression testing

because microsoft never breaks things with updates. h/o whats this.. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

my boss did and it broke his mac so he had to flatten and reinstall

Shaggar posted:

that never actually happens without the admin loving something up. every time someone says "BWAHHHHH windows update hosed me!" its someone trying to hide their incompetence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just like microsoft

oh wait, when microsoft breaks things its the admin's fault

tell us more :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

P4's up through Northwood were fine and AMD's chipsets where a shitheap but if you didn't jump ship once Prescott took a big runny dump on the world you were a sucker

"fine" is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about williamette p4s

did you prefer the rdram version that was horrendously expensive and worse than a high end pentium 3 or the sdram version that was worse than a mid range pentium 3?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

512MB of rdram in 2001? did you mortgage your house?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

top secret snowden leak: maple syrup comes drugged from the communist paradises of canada and vermont. drink table syrup aka corn syrup with artificial flavoring if you don't want to be brainwashed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

yes you need whatever the gently caress they're calling it now to access old versions of office

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bottom line, we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft.

translation: please, someone, buy xbox

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

yes. if they own an iDevice they do

you forgot the all important "and need to print" part

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

i dont see anything replacing ad anytime soon

edirectory!

or domino

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

prefect posted:

the trick is being able to identify grunt work that should be handed off

and then you become... management

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poty posted:

satya is right on this one

if you look at the past 5 years ms products have been pretty stable (way less blue screens than before etc) whereas the premise and execution of the ideas behind them has been total poo poo

so you need every last precious pm and management layer but you can fire a bunch of testers because you can spare the capacity

qed

ah, the john roberts school of logic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

all those pms doing testing

it's going to be amazing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

venture beat says the xbox only sold as much as the wii u up until may, has barely been manufacturing new xboxes, has only 1% of the PC/tablet market and nadella may want to sell the brand.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/07/27/should-microsoft-sell-off-the-xbox-brand/

What a mis-informed article. Xbox Ones will sell a lot more once Halo The Masterchief Collection & Halo 5 release in November and 2015 respectively.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

don't try to use bing! to find technet documents

especially not MS ones

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

quoting this because a 355 billion dollar company with a marketing budget larger than the GDP of several nations thought this was acceptable for one of their core products

Windows Phone 8.1 with KB2919355

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

windows office in VMware fusion unity is more stable and uses less resources than osx office

having the right fonts for keynote and pages is nice though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theres a new office 2011 package with office 365 support that only requires one large update and no microsoft auto update update!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

i am not a beep boop computer man but shouldn't microsoft be signing their software in a way that lets it be installed

that would involve giving apple money

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it's a specific simple embedded application, they'd be foolish not to use RTs

i bet they're top of the line surface 3s

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

[img-shaggar-signal.png]

Shaggar posted:

yes its Linux

thats quite a response time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

just FYI as the resident football guy those surfaces are going to be a loving disaster. coaches HATE change, and there's no loving way a bunch of old white men are going to be using lovely tablets to do their game planning

if it lasts 4 weeks i'll be genuinely surprised. their screens are also not the right size for the photographs, which are usually letter-sized - a 16:9 image won't show you what you need

there's no way they won't use them to get high quality images from upstairs

the coach will have some intern show him the pictures and he'll then go back to his paper, but they'll be used!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in school I bought a convertible tablet laptop to take notes on. seemed like a great idea right? except for the entire laptop being an inch thick, the top of the screen to the actual image being like 5mm away and the pen giving you carpal tunnel syndrome

one note worked ok though in that it let you combine typing and scribbles. someone in a CS class used a full size laptop and a usb Wacom pad so he could type in the example code fragments and notes but draw all the nice diagrams and equations in without slowing down much. seemed like a much better use of money

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but that would be even funnier with a surface

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wow I definitely need a completely different mouse every year because

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

please stop changing mice and keyboards, when my cat destroys a keyboard/mouse and I dash over to best buy I don't want whatever retarded new start button brick mouse to be the only option

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so speaking of ms licensing why can't I buy a cal from Microsoft?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

you can if you're a huge multi-national. but otherwise that would be microsoft competing with their valued partners, and they can't be doing that

but there's a button in small business server that says "buy more CALs". it goes to a page that has no mention of how to purchase CALs

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 9, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rebuilding font cache

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Athletic Footjob posted:

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVECLIPPY CLIPPY CLIPPY CLIPPY

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you're supposed to pay for an msdn subscription and pray you aren't audited, jeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

alternatively: new startup every few years for bizspark

• Locked thread